Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SEAtown
Topic Author

JAL returns to SEA

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:16 am

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/new ... laska.html

NRT-SEA 787-8 service beings in April. Official announcement expected tomorrow.
"When you go out to battle against your enemies and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God is with you." Deuteronomy 20:1

LondonXtreme

Re: JAL returns to SEA

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:24 am

Exciting news, actually JAL announced to resume NRT-SEA earlier this year. So starting from next year, 3 airlines will offer NRT-SEA.

kavok

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:26 am

Should work well with the AS feed. It will be interesting to see if JAL tries to eventually move this route from NRT to HND should additional USA-HND slots become available for the 2020 Olympics.
Last edited by kavok on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

enilria

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:26 am

Been at this point of soon to be announced for months...This is like the 14th thread, although 11 were deleted already. Here are the other threads.
viewtopic.php?t=1387809
viewtopic.php?t=1400135

LupineChemist

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:28 am

kavok wrote:
Should work well with the AS feed. It will be interesting to see if JAL tries to eventually move this route from NRT to HND should additional USA-HND slots become available for the 2020 Olympics.

Considering the JV, it's a rather creative way for AA to get around having to distance themselves from AS. Also, AA is still perfectly content to let JAL do the heavy lifting on that JV.

SFOtoORD

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 am

LupineChemist wrote:
kavok wrote:

Considering the JV, it's a rather creative way for AA to get around having to distance themselves from AS. Also, AA is still perfectly content to let JAL do the heavy lifting on that JV.

I don’t follow. What is AA getting around in this case? Isn’t this just codeshare between AS and JL if the route happens?

dank

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:34 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:
kavok wrote:

I don’t follow. What is AA getting around in this case? Isn’t this just codeshare between AS and JL if the route happens?

presumably they share revenue as part of the joint venture.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 am

It's exciting to see yet another Asian carrier opening up (or in this case, re-opening) SEA. It sounds like their resumption of service will start around the same time as CX. Who is next? CZ to CAN?

speedbird52

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:14 am

Awesome! I was not aware of this

behramjee

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:36 am

Good for JAL as P2P traffic on SEA-Tokyo is quite big i.e. 129,000 round trip pax in 2017 so a good base to work off + they would get a fair amount of connecting traffic to S Korea, domestic Japan, China, HKG, BKK, SIN and DEL.

Overthecascades

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:55 am

Couldn’t see content behind pay wall.

Does it mention moving from NRT to HND after <one year or so?

Overthecascades

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:09 am

behramjee wrote:
Good for JAL as P2P traffic on SEA-Tokyo is quite big i.e. 129,000 round trip pax in 2017 so a good base to work off + they would get a fair amount of connecting traffic to S Korea, domestic Japan, China, HKG, BKK, SIN and DEL.

Connecting through NRT, most Chinese-passport holding passengers need to obtain a visa as most flights to China are morning ones making an overnight stay necessary after arriving from North America. This will be a headwind for the China market.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:30 am

Overthecascades wrote:
behramjee wrote:

Connecting through NRT, most Chinese-passport holding passengers need to obtain a visa as most flights to China are morning ones making an overnight stay necessary after arriving from North America. This will be a headwind for the China market.

Also, between SEA and YVR, there's more than enough variety for nonstops to Mainland China.

LupineChemist

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:42 am

SFOtoORD wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:
kavok wrote:

The whole point of the JVs is that it doesn't matter whose metal is used. So AA makes money on JAL's TPAC flights. They have to coordinate decisions so this is just as much an AA decision to start the route as it is JAL.

ShinyAndChrome

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:32 am

Good to see JAL getting its international mojo back. And as others mentioned, this will give AS loyalists an easy way to get to Tokyo though with the 788 I don't know how much award space they'll have.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:52 am

3 carriers on this route is overkill. Someone earlier mentioned that 129,000 people fly this rountrip annually. That’s 353 passengers per day. Each airline flying it will be operating a plane that holds 200 passengers approx, so 600 seats daily for a market that is only producing 353 seats?? That’s like a 50% LF. Wondering if DL gets kicked off the route since JL & NH will own the Japan POS and JL will have AS feed on the SEA end to feed it and then their own feed at NRT.

lavalampluva

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:17 am

Seems to be a given to me. West Coast to Japan seems obvious.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

MIflyer12

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:57 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
3 carriers on this route is overkill. Someone earlier mentioned that 129,000 people fly this rountrip annually. That’s 353 passengers per day. Each airline flying it will be operating a plane that holds 200 passengers approx, so 600 seats daily for a market that is only producing 353 seats?? That’s like a 50% LF.

Does it occur to you that ANA and JAL may have onward passengers? Delta has passengers connecting to MNL and SIN.

kavok

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:14 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
3 carriers on this route is overkill. Someone earlier mentioned that 129,000 people fly this rountrip annually. That’s 353 passengers per day. Each airline flying it will be operating a plane that holds 200 passengers approx, so 600 seats daily for a market that is only producing 353 seats?? That’s like a 50% LF.

Does it occur to you that ANA and JAL may have onward passengers? Delta has passengers connecting to MNL and SIN.

Correct. Plus DL also has pax originating in the mainland USA (particularly fron the USA mountain-west in this case) and connecting in SEA as well. It isn’t as if all of DLs passengers on this route are all O/D from SEA.

wedgetail737

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:17 pm

kavok wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Correct. Plus DL also has pax originating in the mainland USA (particularly fron the USA mountain-west in this case) and connecting in SEA as well. It isn’t as if all of DLs passengers on this route are all O/D from SEA.

SEA used to have three players on the SEA-NRT route...remember UA? I think Asia is saturated as a whole. We have CX coming in April as well. But I guess that's a by-product of a raging economy.

717atOGG

Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:55 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
3 carriers on this route is overkill. Someone earlier mentioned that 129,000 people fly this rountrip annually. That’s 353 passengers per day. Each airline flying it will be operating a plane that holds 200 passengers approx, so 600 seats daily for a market that is only producing 353 seats?? That’s like a 50% LF. Wondering if DL gets kicked off the route since JL & NH will own the Japan POS and JL will have AS feed on the SEA end to feed it and then their own feed at NRT.

Actually by then DL will be using an A359 instead of a 763 so it's more like 700 seats daily, but I see your point.

I think that if anyone were to blink though, it'd be NH. DL is safe with the SEA hub and their history on the route (although I could see them moving the route to HND if they get good slots), and JL has a partnership with AS, and NH has neither of these. I think it'll be interesting to see how this plays out, since fares on SEA-TYO are pretty high right now, but demand isn't great.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175

717atOGG

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 pm

And it's official! JL announces SEA-NRT, daily 787-8 service, commencing 3/31/19.

Source: https://onemileatatime.com/japan-airlines-seattle/
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175

910A

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:47 pm

An 8 seat across in coach 787 awesome...

Western727

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Can someone please remind me when JL stopped serving SEA? I fondly recall seeing their 742s there growing up, so I'm excited to learn that it's now official.
Jack @ AUS

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:02 pm

In parallel to the NRT-SEA announcement, JL will also expand codeshare with AS:
http://press.jal.co.jp/ja/release/201809/004899.html

From the map it seems like the codeshare applied to pretty much all AS destinations out of SEA west of Rockies along with DEN/ABQ, including KTN, ANC, FAI, and JNU in Alaska (No codeshare on the milk runs, though, AFAIK).

mict

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:30 pm

I wish they would leave a little later in the afternoon, now all 3 flights to Tokyo from SEA are all departing around noon to 2pm, a 6PM or later departure would have been nice and offered some flexibility.
Still awesome news though!

clrd4t8koff

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 pm

kavok wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Did either of you bother to read my *whole* post or do you just like to copy and paste what suits you and then attack? If you'd open your eyes I said:

Wondering if DL gets kicked off the route since JL & NH will own the Japan POS and JL will have AS feed on the SEA end to feed it and then their own feed at NRT.

I acknowledged JL has onward passengers at NRT and by saying JL owns the Japan POS as well suggested they do also. DL only has MNL & SIN which MNL has been heavily rumored to be dropped next.

clrd4t8koff

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:13 pm

kavok wrote:

I'm curious - how many passengers, except the bottom of the barrel chasing the cheapest fares, are flying through SEA to connect to NRT when just about every major city connected to SEA already has n/s service to TYO?

DL isn't after connections, it's after O&D and 3 carriers on SEA chasing after O&D is going to do nothing but trash yields. Great for consumers, but for airlines. DL isn't shy about dropping Asian cities from SEA - see HKG and TPE. We'll see if the upcoming KIX lasts for a second time, but I'm still not convinced DL will stay on the route if it becomes a bloodbath.
Last edited by clrd4t8koff on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SESGDL

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:16 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
kavok wrote:

I'm curious - how many passengers, except the bottom of the barrel chasing the cheapest fares, are flying through SEA to connect to NRT which just about every major city connected to SEA already has n/s service to TYO?

DL isn't after connections, it's after O&D and 3 carriers on SEA chasing after O&D is going to do nothing but trash yields. Great for consumers, but for airlines. DL isn't shy about dropping Asian cities from SEA - see HKG and TPE. We'll see if the upcoming KIX lasts for a second time, but I'm still not convinced DL will stay on the route if it becomes a bloodbath.

DL can’t not serve TYO from its west coast transpacific hub, I don’t care how much of a bloodbath it becomes. SEA-TYO on DL isn’t going anywhere unless DL abandons the SEA transpacific hub altogether.

Jeremy

clrd4t8koff

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:20 pm

SESGDL wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:
kavok wrote:

I'm curious - how many passengers, except the bottom of the barrel chasing the cheapest fares, are flying through SEA to connect to NRT which just about every major city connected to SEA already has n/s service to TYO?

DL can’t not serve TYO from its west coast transpacific hub, I don’t care how much of a bloodbath it becomes. SEA-TYO on DL isn’t going anywhere unless DL abandons the SEA transpacific hub altogether.

Jeremy

I'm not arguing with you as I also believe DL will stay on the route just to save the embarrassment of acknowledging they failed on it. But they didn't seem concerned about dropping HKG, so not sure why they'd care about dropping NRT. Also remember DL dropped JFK-NRT, which is another hub and huge financial center.

tphuang

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Remember jl also gets aa flyers at sea and nh also gets ua flyers. Dl gets very little at Tokyo end.

airzona11

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Great add with the 788.

psa1011

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 pm

I think ANA will be the weakest here, since AS and JL cooperate, but maybe there's enough for everyone.

DUSdude

Remember jl also gets aa flyers at sea and nh also gets ua flyers.

How many, though? Neither AA nor UA offer terribly good or frequent connections from SEA to anything that can't be reached directly from TYO already.

There are actually more options still besides the two current daily nonstops. I just went on my annual trip to TYO a couple of weekls ago but opted neither to take DL (meh) nor NH (too expensive) and instead chose AC via YVR (nice premium econ for same price as econ on NH when I booked). So I suspect the numbers you quoted don't tell the full picture of passenger demand on this route. Also consider the population in the SEA area is still growing and with it demand for such flights. Having JL put some pressure on NH's prices would be great IMHO. DL doesn't really offer a comparable product.

DUSdude

- accidental duplicate post. Please delete -

LondonXtreme

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:38 pm

tphuang wrote:
Remember jl also gets aa flyers at sea and nh also gets ua flyers. Dl gets very little at Tokyo end.

I guess DL may be the loser afterwards. After JV with KE, the SEA-NRT seems less important. I still cannot find the DL's strategy for trans-pacific route. They tried to focus on SEA as the gateway for Asian flight, but seems struggling.

CONTACREW

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Western727 wrote:
Can someone please remind me when JL stopped serving SEA? I fondly recall seeing their 742s there growing up, so I'm excited to learn that it's now official.

Ended Nov 1, 1992
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

a19901213

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:02 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:
tphuang wrote:

I guess DL may be the loser afterwards. After JV with KE, the SEA-NRT seems less important. I still cannot find the DL's strategy for trans-pacific route. They tried to focus on SEA as the gateway for Asian flight, but seems struggling.

With so many flight flying directly from various Asian cities to US cities right now I dont see how NRT-SEA can be a huge success to them.

The route itself might not struggle that bad but neither would it be a great success.

SFOtoORD

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
SFOtoORD wrote:
LupineChemist wrote:

The whole point of the JVs is that it doesn't matter whose metal is used. So AA makes money on JAL's TPAC flights. They have to coordinate decisions so this is just as much an AA decision to start the route as it is JAL.

Right, but the revenue must be somewhat proportional to the amount of metal they have going to JP. So if AA is neutral to Japan and JAL is growing it may not yield much.

zakuivcustom

Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:37 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
kavok wrote:

I'm curious - how many passengers, except the bottom of the barrel chasing the cheapest fares, are flying through SEA to connect to NRT when just about every major city connected to SEA already has n/s service to TYO?

For HKG - one of the problem DL has is their serious lack of longer haul planes (It's out of range of A333, and they only have so many A332s). And did DL ever served TPE from mainland US recently anyway? Meanwhile, DL can fly from SEA to Japan using one of their gajillion B763 (Hence why they can actually even restart KIX).

SEA-Japan can certainly support 3 carriers anyway. You're talking about a 763 (DL), a 788 (NH), and soon another 788 (JL), not 3x 77Ws here.

panamair

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:16 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

SEA-Japan can certainly support 3 carriers anyway. You're talking about a 763 (DL), a 788 (NH), and soon another 788 (JL), not 3x 77Ws here.

DL will be upgauging SEA-NRT to the A359 next summer. And I believe NH deploys the larger 789,not the 788. But I do agree that I don’t think it will be a problem. Japan is the largest Asian market out of SEA (in fact SEA’s Asian links are still predominantly with Japan). I wouldn’t take DL’s withdrawal from SEA-HKG as a sign of anything as HKG is far from a critical market from SEA whereas Tokyo is; if you give up Tokyo from SEA you may as well pack up and go home and give up on the SEA hub.

PayaLebar

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:38 am

Any news in JL resuming flights to México City and New Orleans?

PayaLebar

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:39 am

tphuang

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:40 am

a19901213 wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:
tphuang wrote:

With so many flight flying directly from various Asian cities to US cities right now I dont see how NRT-SEA can be a huge success to them.

The route itself might not struggle that bad but neither would it be a great success.

btw, I'm not saying DL will drop out. They won't do that, but things will get a lot tougher.

Overthecascades

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:12 am

Any speculation on moving to HND?

wedgetail737

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:46 am

panamair wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

DL will be upgauging SEA-NRT to the A359 next summer. And I believe NH deploys the larger 789,not the 788. But I do agree that I don’t think it will be a problem. Japan is the largest Asian market out of SEA (in fact SEA’s Asian links are still predominantly with Japan). I wouldn’t take DL’s withdrawal from SEA-HKG as a sign of anything as HKG is far from a critical market from SEA whereas Tokyo is; if you give up Tokyo from SEA you may as well pack up and go home and give up on the SEA hub.

Ironically, NH used the 788 during this past summer.

n7371f

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:14 am

DL has just about every major corporate contract in SEA for Intl wrapped up. Amazon. Microsoft. And so on...They'll be fine.

tphuang wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:

btw, I'm not saying DL will drop out. They won't do that, but things will get a lot tougher.

LAX772LR

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:05 am

PayaLebar wrote:

Nixon was still in office when JL last served MSY. :lol:

There's no need for them to resume that route, as their nonstop to DFW + j/v with AA, provide ample connections to both New Orleans and the South American routes JL served from MSY.

Same for MEX, for that matter... which has the added disadvantage of a nonstop now by AM.

clrd4t8koff wrote:
DL isn't shy about dropping Asian cities from SEA - see HKG and TPE.

DL's dropped TPE service was from NRT, not SEA.
The route ended in May 2017.

zakuivcustom wrote:
And did DL ever served TPE from mainland US recently anyway?

DL served PDX-TPE-BKK in the days of their Portland hub.

panamair wrote:
HKG is far from a critical market from SEA whereas Tokyo is

Based on what _____?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

JayinKitsap

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:45 am

Some notes - the Navy sends tons of folks from the Puget Sound to Yokosuka in support of the 7th Fleet. Just for carrier maintenance there are nearly 1,000 that go over there every winter. Probably 30K active duty there also.

In the summer there are like a dozen cruise ships that leave Seattle every week for Alaska, the cruise I did last summer there were over 200 Japanese on it.

I've tried to merge 2 trips by doing SEA-NRT- Chongqing (CKG) in a 2015 3 way. CKG not well served for a 20 million pop city, must go thru HKG or PVG to get there. Well it was like no one flies between Japan and China. It was no faster nor cheaper to do the 3 way, cheaper to book 2 round trips from SEA and fly home between.

neomax

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:42 am

n7371f wrote:
DL has just about every major corporate contract in SEA for Intl wrapped up. Amazon. Microsoft. And so on...They'll be fine.

That's pretty surprising. DL's network out of SEA is (really) weak for a city that has more instantly recognizable brands than any other city in the world. They have 3 TPAC routes, maybe? That won't even be enough to make a dent in standalone competitors in the Int'l arena, forget about competing with AS and their Int'l partners at SEA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos