Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Will BA/AA ever resume MAN-JFK in future?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:41 pm

Both airline used two serve this route, but now leave VS being the sole player(JV with DL). I think MAN-JFK should support at least a daily flight for BA/AA.

rutankrd

Re: Will BA/AA ever resume MAN-JFK in future?

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:48 pm

Short and sweet not any time soon .

And the consensus among Mancunions particularly aviation enthusiasts is we don’t want them back !

SurfandSnow

Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:57 pm

In recent years AA/US has tried serving MAN from CLT, JFK, MIA and ORD without success. It seems the only viable transatlantic service is that which remains to PHL - the airline's primary transatlantic hub these days. With JFK-DUB and JFK-EDI soon coming to an end, as well as JFK-DEN and JFK-PAP, it just does not seem like AA is interested in adding (or resuming, as the case may be) any service to JFK.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Armodeen

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:01 pm

rutankrd wrote:
Short and sweet not any time soon .

And the consensus among Mancunions particularly aviation enthusiasts is we don’t want them back !

No

Even shorter answer! There is plenty of capacity to NYC these days.

FlyingColours

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 pm

rutankrd wrote:

Yup, they've never really been interested in anything outside of London and considering their shorthaul service is now comparable to U2 & FR but more expensive as well as the state of the 767 they used on their previous NYC flights I don't think anyone is in a great rush to see BA come back.

As for MAN-ORD, it's not exactly like it's not been working given they operated it for over two decades and I think it's withdrawal this year more down to the 767 & 757 fleets being wound down.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Lofty

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:18 pm

Why would BA want to base any aircraft or crews away from LGW or LHR.

DobboDobbo

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:29 pm

I suspect if BA management could have their time again, they would likely make different decisions as regards Manchester.

Unfortunately, that is not possible and ultimately BA (and MAN) were caught off-guard with the advent of low cost carriers.

In particular, BA lacked the agility (as a business) to respond to the seismic shift in the marketplace and this resulted in their retreat to LHR where they could use limited slots to their advantage.

It has taken BA the best part of 20 years to adapt and offer a short haul product which essentially mimics that of EasyJet/Ryanair. In that time others have moved in and largely taken what could have been BA's market share. It has also not helped the BA brand locally, and it is difficult to see a way back.

If BA had a major short haul operation at MAN equivalent to EZY and RYR's network at MAN, it would also help facilitate a reasonably large long haul network. Alas, they do not and to date BA have shown little appetite for trying either (although BACF appear to be doing well). It's a shame, because MAN ideally needs to find a major hub carrier if it is to fulfil its potential, and BA are well placed to offer this if minded to do so. However, we are where are.

I'd never say never, but I think a major BA presence at MAN is highly unlikely in the foreseeable.

EK006

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:30 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:
Both airline used two serve this route, but now leave VS being the sole player(JV with DL). I think MAN-JFK should support at least a daily flight for BA/AA.

VS aren't the sole player. TCX also fly to JFK

The MAN-USA market is covered quite well by TCX/VS. I would rather see them grow destinations such as BOS,LAX etc to daily or increase the period of service. AA has been cutting down MAN in recent years, so it is highly unlikely they will resume MAN-JFK, when they don't fly to bigger markets out of JFK due tot eh sheer competition.

rutankrd

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:33 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:

Oh and VS aren’t the only one serving the Manchester - New York market either

United retain a full Daily year round connection to Newark whilst Thomas Cook are operating throughout this winter to JFK three weekly in addition to the Virgin flights.

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:54 pm

EK006 wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:

The MAN-USA market is covered quite well by TCX/VS. I would rather see them grow destinations such as BOS,LAX etc to daily or increase the period of service. AA has been cutting down MAN in recent years, so it is highly unlikely they will resume MAN-JFK, when they don't fly to bigger markets out of JFK due tot eh sheer competition.

I remember AA used to serve MAN-BOS for a short period of time and now VS flies seasonally. In my point of view, lack of year round service between Boston and Manchester is wired. Aer Lingus plays a major role to transport passenger between MAN and BOS. I hope VS will launch MAN-LAX in coming years

I knew UA's EWR-MAN has been consistently doing well since CO era. And this is the only route serving by US carriers for decades from MAN.

PlymSpotter

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:13 pm

You have more chance of seeing Level operating this for IAG than BA, or AA operating a JFK service via the JV.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DobboDobbo

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:17 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:
I hope VS will launch MAN-LAX in coming years.

You're in luck, VS start MAN-LAX in S19 (albeit at the expense of MAN-SFO).

vhtje

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm

rutankrd wrote:

Why not?
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

RyanairGuru

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:30 pm

LondonXtreme wrote:
I knew UA's EWR-MAN has been consistently doing well since CO era. And this is the only route serving by US carriers for decades from MAN.

Continental/United have less capacity at Manchester than they have had since the 1990s, but the route si supposed to be doing very well and there is constant chatter that it will be uphauged back to a 767. I guess time will tell. With United focussing on building up connecting flow over IAD again I guess there is an outside chance that route could come back seasonally.

MAN-PHL is coming up on 2 decades of being served continuously (launched in 1999 IIRC).

MAN-ATL has been served continuously since the early 90s with the switch in operating carrier largely meaningless within the context of the DL-VS JV.

MAN-ORD is the head scratcher, that route has been around for 30 years but has struggled more and more over recent years.

Go back 15 years and service to the US was basically BA to JFK, CO to EWR, DL to ATL, AA to ORD and US to PHL. Three of those routes remain in one form or another, JFK is now operated by VS, and ORD is now gone for good.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:32 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
LondonXtreme wrote:
I hope VS will launch MAN-LAX in coming years.

You're in luck, VS start MAN-LAX in S19 (albeit at the expense of MAN-SFO).

Sad to see the seasonal MAN-SFO gone. I wish 4 weekly LAX and 3 weekly SFO can work.

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:33 pm

vhtje wrote:
rutankrd wrote:

Why not?

I can't speak for aviation enthusiasts but the soccer/football fans I talk to from Manchester and Liverpool have had little use for anything BA since they pulled down the MAN hub and call them condescendingly "London Airways," and think they are against the north, etc. So maybe that is part of the thinking...

David_itl

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Just to throw some numbers out there.... CAA's August statistics shows MAN-JFK slightly down with just over 42.500 passengers on the route or roughly 687 passengers one-way each day with ops by Thomas Cook A330s and Virgin 747s. Last year I'm pretty sure we had A330s from both Thomas Cook and Virgin with AA 757s so the AA passengers appear to have upped sticks and gone to MT or VS instead of routing over LHR/DUB (i.e. where IAG would prefer the MAN passengers to go from) which both show a decrease in numbers.

N649DL

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:10 am

Interesting to note that BA out of JFK in the Mid-1990s operated the 767 to MAN and a 757 to Birmingham.

USAirALB

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:13 am

N649DL wrote:
Interesting to note that BA out of JFK in the Mid-1990s operated the 767 to MAN and a 757 to Birmingham.

IIRC, the BA MAN-JFK flight lasted until about 2003 or so.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 763ER, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

aemoreira1981

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:50 am

JFK-MAN lasted until about 2006. I know because when I flew to Dublin, I was routed on a B763 to MAN and then an EI B733 to DUB. B6/MT have an interlining agreement and that, combined with MT's decision to go 2-4-2 even in an W-Y configuration with 18" wide seats, and that likely AA/BA off the route for good. B6 has driven AA off of a lot of routes around JFK, either by itself or interlines/codeshares.

American 767

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:57 am

I think that we sill see B6 starting BOS-DUB, BOS-EDI and BOS-MAN before we will see AA restarting JFK-MAN. B6 could make these routes work, if not all three at least one of the three, but the chances AA will restart JFK-MAN are slim to none. JFK-MAN on AA, not gonna come back. Even if it does, it won't last.
Ben Soriano

DobboDobbo

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:42 am

MIAFLLPBIFlyer wrote:
vhtje wrote:
rutankrd wrote:

Why not?

I can't speak for aviation enthusiasts but the soccer/football fans I talk to from Manchester and Liverpool have had little use for anything BA since they pulled down the MAN hub and call them condescendingly "London Airways," and think they are against the north, etc. So maybe that is part of the thinking...

Agreed, I think there is definitely an element of "London Airways" thinking about BA in the north of England. Whether that school of thought would remain if BA were to return remains to be seen.

jfklganyc

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:25 pm

I think it is time to start thinking of AA at JFK as DL at CVG.

Pseudo dehubbed, be happy to keep what we have mode

MapleLeaf789

Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Isn't the DUB focus for IAG also meant to be the vehicle for a lot of BA's non-London traffic?
Toronto Based

A319/320/321/330/340
B707/727/737/747/767/777/787
BAE146
CRJ200/700
DC8/9/10
DHC8/Q4
E175/195

DobboDobbo

Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:17 pm

MapleLeaf789 wrote:
Isn't the DUB focus for IAG also meant to be the vehicle for a lot of BA's non-London traffic?

That is quite right. The isssue (from IAG's perspective) is that MAN O&D passengers have generally turned to other, non-IAG, direct services rather than fly via LHR or DUB.

The question for IAG/BA is whether they are prepared to allow this trend to continue.

MapleLeaf789

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:23 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
MapleLeaf789 wrote:

That is quite right. The isssue (from IAG's perspective) is that MAN O&D passengers have generally turned to other, non-IAG, direct services rather than fly via LHR or DUB.

The question for IAG/BA is whether they are prepared to allow this trend to continue.

Got it, thanks!
Toronto Based

A319/320/321/330/340
B707/727/737/747/767/777/787
BAE146
CRJ200/700
DC8/9/10
DHC8/Q4
E175/195

Eindhoven

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:47 pm

EK006 wrote:

And doesn't LS fly MAN-EWR christmas shopping flights in december?

Cunard

Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:38 am

Eindhoven wrote:
EK006 wrote:

And doesn't LS fly MAN-EWR christmas shopping flights in december?

A few Christmas shopping flights between MAN and EWR during the month of December operated by Jet2 is rather irrelevant to the discussion regarding whether AA/BA ever resuming MAN-JFK!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos