Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OMAAbound
Topic Author

Qatar 2022 World Cup - Impact of current blockade on commercial aviation

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:19 am

Morning all

Given the current blockade going on for Qatar and airlines refusing to fly there.

How will such an impact have on the transportation (and possible involvement) of teams/fans/officials have on the tournament?

Personally I feel that In the time until then, the blockade will have been removed and things will be back too normal.

But, what if things aren’t? Thoughts?

OMAA
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title was unclear

george77300

Re: Qatar 2022 World Cup

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:27 am

OMAAbound wrote:
Morning all

Given the current blockade going on for Qatar and airlines refusing to fly there.

How will such an impact have on the transportation (and possible involvement) of teams/fans/officials have on the tournament?

Personally I feel that In the time until then, the blockade will have been removed and things will be back too normal.

But, what if things aren’t? Thoughts?

OMAA

The blockade is only from 4 countries. (Bahrain, UAE, Saudi Arabia and Egypt). I guess there is a chance those four countries won’t participate. They certainly are not major players in the tournament anyway. As for logistics from other teams it will not be an issue at all. Along with Qatar Airways’ huge network and many other airlines flying to DOH it won’t be a problem at all.

neomax

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:29 am

QR can ensure it is going to have a 100% share of the World Cup traffic with the blockade in place. Doha will be sending a chocolate cake to Dubai and Abu Dhabi as a thank you gift as QR will have a complete monopoly with EK and EY out of the game.

sibibom

Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:57 am

Don't think EY will be around in 2022 in their current form anyway. :duck:

There are far more bigger issues about 2022 world cup, airline logistic is the least of them. But this ain't no place to discuss that

Melbourne

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:02 am

sibibom wrote:
Don't think EY will be around in 2022 in their current form anyway. :duck:

There are far more bigger issues about 2022 world cup, airline logistic is the least of them. But this ain't no place to discuss that

There are other airlines that fly to DOH besides QR

UAEflyer

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:05 am

all international teams will come through their national airlines, and that is applied to the fans too. Many airlines will operate extra flights through out the tournament , only QR is not allowed to fly over the 4 countries mentioned. while others can fly in and out DOH freely. I think it is a win win case for most airlines operating their in that period.

jnev3289

Re: Qatar 2022 World Cup - Impact of current blockade on commercial aviation

Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Was hoping to stay in Dubai and fly over to Doha for a match or two with family, so I hope this nonsense gets sorted out before then. So excited for it!

Antarius

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:16 am

stl07 wrote:
jnev3289 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

Every point in this post factually incorrect, and based on ignorant assumptions. Couple that with the grammar and spelling, and we have a truly delightful experience above.

Have you ever been to Doha?

Glad someone else said it, I was biting my tongue. Doha is pretty awesome. Small, but awesome. I can’t wait to see what new stuff they come up with to entertain all the tourists while the matches aren’t being played

True, but their minority rights are awful, and visitors will be minorities

I'm not painting Qatar to be paradise; they have several issues like anyone else. But lumping visitors into the issues with minority rights is a grossly false equivalence. Qatar has tons of expats who live there and travel there with no issues. Visitors will have no issues whatsoever. None at all.

If you wanna talk about migrant worker rights and construction worker rights that is perfectly acceptable. But again conflating this with visitors is an invalid comparison and honestly detrimental to the credibility of the argument and its proponents.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

mercure1

Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:30 am

Who knows what the politics will be by 2022, but it seems to there should not be any issues for visitors.

I have always found Qatar and Doha a very hospitable place. Much more manageable city and not over the top like Dubai.

QR and Hamad International Airport will be ready to serve and put their best foot forward.
mercure f-wtcc

lordlogan

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:20 am

The IAAF World Athletics Championships take place in Doha in a year's time. While I understand this is a smaller competition than the FIFA World Cup, it will still attract athletes and spectators from all over the world. What happens for this event, will be an indicator for the World Cup in 2022.

For the World Athletics Champs, I doubt any nations will organise charters for their athletes, as they often all travel at seperate times to arrive just in time for their events. The only team I can think of that would afford and it be worth doing this for is the USA. Regular flight service will therefore need to be used (which I think QR will largely benefit from).
It will be equally interesting to see if any charters for spectators are put on, or otherwise special services operated by QR. The main nations from which I expect spectators will travel to the champs are China, USA, UK, Germany, Kenya so in fact you could see a Chinese carrier fly a special service in to Doha.

Bahrain and Egypt will likely have athletes competing, I guess that they would travel to Doha via another airport.

jubaexpress

Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:56 am

UAEflyer wrote:
all international teams will come through their national airlines, and that is applied to the fans too. Many airlines will operate extra flights through out the tournament , only QR is not allowed to fly over the 4 countries mentioned. while others can fly in and out DOH freely. I think it is a win win case for most airlines operating their in that period.

The teams may arrive by their national airline or charter but fans can do as they please. Why on earth would there be such a restriction?? Fans from many many countries would be screwed. Nonsense.

Casablanca

Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:48 pm

Alcohol is readily accessible in Qatar- many bars and restaurants serving it.
My guess is that it is probably a condition to sell alcohol in order to receive the World Cup award? Other than expensive one can have a good time there

Qatara340

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Qatar is one of the most connected countries in the globe. Not only is it within 6 hours plane ride from most of the people in the world, any airline is welcome to fly to Qatar--charter or not. The illegal blockade had an effect on only 4 countries. We would still welcome citizens of those 4 countries of course--and any of the world's countries.

All of the venues in the WC are within an hour driving time--and DOHA has excellent infrastructure include a new Metro--so fans will not have to take domestic flights anywhere else. This WC would be the best out there.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

UAEflyer

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:40 pm

jubaexpress wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:

The teams may arrive by their national airline or charter but fans can do as they please. Why on earth would there be such a restriction?? Fans from many many countries would be screwed. Nonsense.

Some times politics work in a weird way. As for the fans, they are free to do whatever they want to, they can drink more than they do in their home, goes to bars, shopping, beach, camping.....etc.
I’m 100% sure that the Qatari authorities will make the life fans as easy as possible, the government worked so hard to get this tournament in their state, logically why would they spoil that enormous celebration which will last for 1 month and will be a history forever.

jubaexpress

Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm

UAEflyer wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
UAEflyer wrote:

Some times politics work in a weird way. As for the fans, they are free to do whatever they want to, they can drink more than they do in their home, goes to bars, shopping, beach, camping.....etc.
I’m 100% sure that the Qatari authorities will make the life fans as easy as possible, the government worked so hard to get this tournament in their state, logically why would they spoil that enormous celebration which will last for 1 month and will be a history forever.

My point of departure is your statement that fans have to fly their national airline.