UA857
Topic Author

Will AA ever fly PHL-Asia?

Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:40 am

With AA increasing the PHL hub will they start flying to Asia from PHL? Would we see AA fly PHL-NRT?

mtnwest1979

Re: Will AA ever fly PHL-Asia?

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:28 am

Ever? Maybe.
But as it would only be advantageous to few that couldn't already connect via ORD, I would doubt it anytime soon.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

Bigant0408

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:42 am

With JL looking to expand in US I wouldn’t be surprised if they started a route within 3 years. I don’t think AA will start anytime soon until they receive more aircraft
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

usflyer msp

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:24 pm

mtnwest1979 wrote:
Ever? Maybe.
But as it would only be advantageous to few that couldn't already connect via ORD, I would doubt it anytime soon.

I take all the ORD-Asia cuts to mean AA plans on launching PHL-TYO and maybe PHL-HKG in the near future. Probably, waiting for FOI so a PHL 772 or 787 crew base can be opened.

LotsaRunway

Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:41 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
With JL looking to expand in US I wouldn’t be surprised if they started a route within 3 years. I don’t think AA will start anytime soon until they receive more aircraft

Yes! I've heard they are waiting for delivery of some A346's. :duck:

Bigant0408

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:02 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:

Yes! I've heard they are waiting for delivery of some A346's. :duck:

Oh ok didn’t even know that. I also wouldn’t be surprise if JL would start a PHL route when it starts its new LLC. Overall I know PHL wants China especially Beijing but Tokyo would be a safe bet. Even with Air China visiting PHL few times this year I doubt they’d ever start service since they are Star Alliance.

Austin787

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Maybe PHL-NRT or PHL-HKG, but JL or CX could launch those routes, respectively.

pmUS was planning to start PHL-PEK, contingent on acquiring A340s. Didn't work out. With AA pulling back in China, I don't see PHL-PEK/PVG happening anytime soon.

gwrudolph

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:17 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:
Ever? Maybe.

I take all the ORD-Asia cuts to mean AA plans on launching PHL-TYO and maybe PHL-HKG in the near future. Probably, waiting for FOI so a PHL 772 or 787 crew base can be opened.

I would say if they can’t make ORD-Asia work real well, PHL-Asia doesn’t have a chance of happening anytime soon. I’m even skeptical about one of their partners doing it anytime soon

PHLspecial

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Austin787 wrote:

pmUS was planning to start PHL-PEK, contingent on acquiring A340s. Didn't work out. With AA pulling back in China, I don't see PHL-PEK/PVG happening anytime soon.

I don't see CX starting PHL-HKG considering CX picked IAD over PHL. JL would be a great add with the B788 to start off with.

seatback

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:30 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
mtnwest1979 wrote:
Ever? Maybe.

I would say if they can’t make ORD-Asia work real well, PHL-Asia doesn’t have a chance of happening anytime soon. I’m even skeptical about one of their partners doing it anytime soon

The chief difference is ORD has multiple options for Asia. PHL, one of the largest cities in the Northeast corridor has no nonstop options. I think it's a matter of time either between AA or JAL.

KICT

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:35 pm

It's a shame they never got their hands on the A340-500s for PHL-NRT, many of which sit derelict throughout the world.
People are saying. Believe me.

flyfresno

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Yeah, a 787 to NRT seems highly possibile in the next 5-10 years.

gwrudolph

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:09 pm

seatback wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

The chief difference is ORD has multiple options for Asia. PHL, one of the largest cities in the Northeast corridor has no nonstop options. I think it's a matter of time either between AA or JAL.

True, true but ORD is also much better located to capture more connections with little/no backtracking and has a much larger O/D market. I just don’t see AA growing Asia except with perhaps additional Asia cities from sure bets like DFW and LAX.

We’ll see I suppose

LH658

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:28 pm

PHL and PHX - Asia is much needed.

Bigant0408

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:45 pm

With China being the second best visitor market to Philadelphia behind UK in general one would think at least one Airline is monitoring potential service. Qatar is the closes thing we have right now to Asia

Irehdna

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:57 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
Austin787 wrote:

I don't see CX starting PHL-HKG considering CX picked IAD over PHL. JL would be a great add with the B788 to start off with.

IAD is a much larger market than HKG. CX started IAD with the A35J. Keep in mind that many in the PHL area use EWR for the Asia flights, and UA flies Polaris 77W on EWR-NRT. EWR is only about 1hr from 30th Street Station on Amtrak.

PHL-NRT/HND should be flown, but think that JL should run the route with the B788. Additionally, I think we will see EWR-HND before PHL-Asia.

usflyer msp

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:01 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
seatback wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:

True, true but ORD is also much better located to capture more connections with little/no backtracking and has a much larger O/D market. I just don’t see AA growing Asia except with perhaps additional Asia cities from sure bets like DFW and LAX.

We’ll see I suppose

If AA/oneworld want to be relevant in the NE USA - Asia market, PHL-Asia has to come. ORD failed and DFW/LAX are significant backtracks (if the station has such service at all) so PHL is the only option left.

UA857
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:04 pm

How come AA hasn’t announced PHL-NRT yet?

jfk777

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:49 pm

IF any PHL/CLT or MIA flights to Asia do happen China will probably not happen, Tokyo would be much more likely since its closer. The Japanese airline do not dump capacity like the PRC airlines do, if anything JAL & ANA are too conservative a do not fly to enough of the world, Europe and America especially.

As much as we would all love to see Asia from AA's east coast hubs or more from ORD they have chosen to expand in DFW & LAX in the last years. Perhaps the north Pacific is the wrong place for AA to expand, Johannesburg is always interesting and BA has an airline in South Africa for feed. More Australian service from either DFW or LAX would be great too. AA's 787-9 and 77W can fly 16 hours with a world full of under served destinations do fly somewhere please.

bagoldex

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:36 pm

seatback wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

One of the largest cities, yes, but in and of itself it's not a huge market to Asia and with the exception of Miami all of the other major east coast cities that could provide substantive feed already have nonstops to Asia. If there was any reason to be there I think JAL would have launched by now.

Gsasala

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:20 am

I don't see AA putting any flights to Asia anytime soon since they are cutting back flights to Asia, and JFK/EWR are within 2 hours of the Philadelphia area.

Gsasala

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:20 am

I don't see AA putting any flights to Asia anytime soon since they are cutting back flights to Asia, and JFK/EWR are within 2 hours of the Philadelphia area.

nomorerjs

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:56 am

LH658 wrote:

Much “needed” by who or much “wanted” by fanboys?

PHX is easily served via LAX. PHL is easily served by multiple hubs.

ORD-China suffers from extreme over capacity and toilet yields. ORD-NRT has significant O&D and premium traffic due to all the Japanese companies in the NW suburbs. AA getting out of ORD-China is a good move and letting JL operate 11x weekly is great as their is now F available on this route.

What do PHX and PHL provide that can’t be obtained via other hubs?

This forum has turned into “my airport is entitled to service to...”. PHL and PHX are following the lead of AUS, BNA, BOS, CLT, DEN, DTW, DFW, IAH, MIA, and SEA that demand service everywhere regardless of economics.

Now we have people saying ORF and RIC should get TATL service? And I get flamed for saying ORD-ATH/OSL/TLV could work.

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:32 am

KICT wrote:
It's a shame they never got their hands on the A340-500s for PHL-NRT, many of which sit derelict throughout the world.

....did ya ever stop to think about *WHY* that is?

The model, though it did impressive feats, was something that almost no one could make money with, no matter what they attempted with it.

nomorerjs wrote:
LH658 wrote:

Much “needed” by who or much “wanted” by fanboys?

Excellent summation of this thread and repetitive idea.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

usairways85

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:39 am

Comparing ORD's service blunders to PHL is comparing apples and oranges.

And EWR is right up the road which wouldn't surprise me if UA takes quite a bit of Asian traffic from AA at PHL. AA wants me to connect in DFW or LAX to Asia...no thanks I'll take a nonstop from EWR.

aemoreira1981

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:57 am

Do I see the flight happening? Yes. However, I do not see it happening on AA metal. Rather, I see it happening on a JL B788. Many years ago, NW had proposed adding this flight on an A343 (Northwest had 20 A340-300s on order along with A330s and A320s), but they canceled that A343 part of the order and took 11 A330s and a number of A319/A320 aircraft instead (in addition to the 50 A320s that were part of the order).

nomorerjs

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:13 am

usairways85 wrote:

And EWR is right up the road which wouldn't surprise me if UA takes quite a bit of Asian traffic from AA at PHL. AA wants me to connect in DFW or LAX to Asia...no thanks I'll take a nonstop from EWR.

And that’s a risk AA is willing to take.

Why appease 1 a.netter when the rest of PHL will stop at DFW / JFK / LAX / ORD and get miles for multiple segments.

Airlines are trying to make money and satisfy shareholders, not serve a route because some atm chair CEO wantobe thinks he / she’s entitled to a money losing route.

Congratulations PHL fanboys! You make that DTW homer look like the most rational poster on this forum.

lowfareair

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:55 am

nomorerjs wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

Why appease 1 a.netter when the rest of PHL will stop at DFW / JFK / LAX / ORD and get miles for multiple segments.

Airlines are trying to make money and satisfy shareholders, not serve a route because some atm chair CEO wantobe thinks he / she’s entitled to a money losing route.

Congratulations PHL fanboys! You make that DTW homer look like the most rational poster on this forum.

You say that, but I know many people who will and do fly out of Newark instead of Philly, that is even true with people near me, about 15 minutes from PHL. I see it for both leisure and work, and have seen people take company-paid business class flights out of Newark nonstop rather than fly out of Philly and connect.

There is significant bleed to Newark from Philly, and unfortunately the only AA JV partner out of EWR (BA) also flies out of PHL, so the bleed is almost entirely to Star Alliance there.

binayak

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:16 am

Since there's a good Indian diaspora in Philadelphia and some business IT traffic too , any chance of a PHL-BOM/DEL happening (if not now after 3 years)? AA can interline with any Indian carrier for India side connections .
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

phllax

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:24 am

If you looked at the demos of the Delaware Valley MSA, you would see that Seoul would be a better choice, followed by China then Ho Chi Minh City. There is not a significant Japanese community.

Bigant0408

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:31 am

binayak wrote:
Since there's a good Indian diaspora in Philadelphia and some business IT traffic too , any chance of a PHL-BOM/DEL happening (if not now after 3 years)? AA can interline with any Indian carrier for India side connections .

Here’s Americans response in regards to flying to India

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... time-soon/

With Qatar flights it’s easy connections to India from Doha as well.

Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:46 am

AA has a few "issues" going on right now, that is why they are retreating to what they term, "fortress hubs. "

After hearing them stumble and play the 'standard response' to various analysts questions, I think it will be a while until the hit the Asian market. Face it, they have dropped to number 3 out of 3 in the race. Thus fallback better work or Dougie might be looking for a new gig.

KICT

Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:33 am

LAX772LR wrote:
...did ya ever stop to think about *WHY* that is?

USAirways was actively seeking to purchase second-hand A345s when PHL-Asia was being considered...
People are saying. Believe me.

Cointrin330

Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:38 am

USA to Mainland China flights are dependent on POS from China, not the US and there is a lot of capacity as it stands. NRT would be a sensible add, given the JL/AA connectivity in oneworld, but American Airlines struggles with TPAC as it is (the fact that they could not fill 787-8's ex ORD to PVG and PEK and cannot sustain NRT daily on one) is very telling. ORD is a much larger domestic hub than PHL, which though large, isn't the most suited for TPAC connections, since most of that traffic is East Coast originating and there are plenty of other options.

Yonderlust

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:03 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
binayak wrote:

I recall that AA flew ORD-DEL about 10 years ago.

Bigant0408

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Yonderlust wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
binayak wrote:

I recall that AA flew ORD-DEL about 10 years ago.

This is true they did but that of course was prior to the merger and it was different times back then. Overall even flights to India have leakage to Newark with united and Air India for nonstop flights

Nicknuzzii

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:49 pm

lowfareair wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:
usairways85 wrote:

You say that, but I know many people who will and do fly out of Newark instead of Philly, that is even true with people near me, about 15 minutes from PHL. I see it for both leisure and work, and have seen people take company-paid business class flights out of Newark nonstop rather than fly out of Philly and connect.

There is significant bleed to Newark from Philly, and unfortunately the only AA JV partner out of EWR (BA) also flies out of PHL, so the bleed is almost entirely to Star Alliance there.

Isn't Cathay Pacific a One World Partner? ?

lowfareair

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
lowfareair wrote:
nomorerjs wrote:

Isn't Cathay Pacific a One World Partner? ?

Yes, but not a Joint Venture partner. AA gets zero direct benefit from someone buying a ticket and flying EWR-HKG (and beyond) on CX, whereas they get a cut of the revenue/profit from someone buying and flying EWR-LHR (and through to Europe) on BA.

LAX772LR

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:55 pm

KICT wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
...did ya ever stop to think about *WHY* that is?

USAirways was actively seeking to purchase second-hand A345s when PHL-Asia was being considered...

And yet, they didn't, despite there being plenty such aircraft available and sitting idle.

Thus, again: why is that?
(same answer as above)

rbavfan

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Very long flight. If they can't make JFK-NRT business sense, then PHL-NRT would be a no go. It's O & D route idea, not a good connection hub with the backtracking. Too much backtracking. On top of the fact that they are canceling ORD flights shows the market is not there.

aemoreira1981

Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:15 pm

binayak wrote:

There are one-stop options via LHR or YYZ, or a nonstop option via EWR (to BOM) or JFK (to DEL). I don't see such ever happening.

gwrudolph

Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:10 pm

jfk777 wrote:
IF any PHL/CLT or MIA flights to Asia do happen China will probably not happen, Tokyo would be much more likely since its closer. The Japanese airline do not dump capacity like the PRC airlines do, if anything JAL & ANA are too conservative a do not fly to enough of the world, Europe and America especially.

As much as we would all love to see Asia from AA's east coast hubs or more from ORD they have chosen to expand in DFW & LAX in the last years. Perhaps the north Pacific is the wrong place for AA to expand, Johannesburg is always interesting and BA has an airline in South Africa for feed. More Australian service from either DFW or LAX would be great too. AA's 787-9 and 77W can fly 16 hours with a world full of under served destinations do fly somewhere please.

I completely agree with you. Seeing what's going on with ORD takedowns says to me that AA probably has all the Asia Pac it is going to be able to sustain. UA and DL have route networks that are much more well-suited for Asia. They will likely focus their efforts where they have strength and leave their Asia Pac as it stands today.

jfk777

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:44 am

AA needs to step up Asia because United flies from Newark, Dulles, ORD, Houston, SFO & LAX. Delta flies from SEA, LAX, MSP, DTW & ATL. AA does LAX and DFW with a depleted Chicago schedule to Asia. This is a legacy issue from Usairways not having the foresight to fly to Asia. UA & DL merged with airlines having Pacific operations, Northwest had huge Asian operations.

AA has three east coast hubs in Miami, Charlotte and Philadelphia plus Phoenix out west for possible flights to Asia. PHL maybe to close to New York and its two huge airports with flights to Asia. MIA has been dying for a flight to Asia and AA as the largest airline there should take advantage of this. Flying to Tokyo would be the next logical growth to a new Continent from their MIA hub.

Charlotte is AA's primary east coast hub, it should be able to find 200 passengers daily to fly to Tokyo and beyond to Asia. A 787 should be no problem if AA had the will to do it, so please find the will and vision to expand Asia from your east coast hubs AA. IF Bob Crandall had not had the vision to buy two used Boeing 747SP for DFW to Narita the Pacific routes from DFW would have never followed. It time to do the same from CLT and MIA.

LondonXtreme

Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:47 am

AA/JL has 3 daily NRT-DFW which is enough handle the entire traffic from the East coast(Except NY and Boston regions), how may people actually end up trip in DFW. If AA wants to launch a new NRT route, CLT is better option than PHL, PHL is sandwiched between NY and DC and JL has covered well in Northeast region. Meanwhile, I doubt DFW can still sustain 2 daily AA flight, maybe AA can transfer one daily flight to depart from CLT.

cha747

Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 am

1. I will not drive to EWR or JFK when I live 15 min from PHL. People who write that Delaware Valley, Brandywine Valley, and South Jersey residents prefer EWR and JFK really just have no clue. Amtrak, the Turnpike, and the Belt Parkway are nightmares and I'd pay $500-750 more per ticket to even fly from PHL to the west coast to catch an Asian connection. The time required to get from the Philly metro area to one of the NYC airports is equal to a flight from Philly to ORD or DFW. In 3 weeks I'm flying from PHL-SFO then to Asia from SFO to avoid EWR/JFK.

2. Tokyo would probably be useless from PHL. O&D traffic from PHL to PEK/PVG and HKG make sense. KUL and TYO only for connection opportunities but to this armchair CEO I'd concentrate on O&D traffic. It would be a long and thin route.

3. I actually think that current AA management cares less about East Coast to Asia. I would continue to have plenty of Asian opportunities from LAX, DFW, and ORD and then connect the East Coast to those hubs.

4. An Asian route WILL come to PHL but it may not be the one(s) we want/think.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

cha747

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:25 am

jfk777 wrote:
Charlotte is AA's primary east coast hub, it should be able to find 200 passengers daily to fly to Tokyo and beyond to Asia.

They may be able to find 150-200 odd passengers to fly daily but can they find 30-40 PREMIUM passengers daily is the real question. Since again it would be a long and thin route there wouldn't be much revenue from cargo so the money has to be made up front. That number sounds small but assuming we need 35 premium passengers a day to make it work and there are 365 days in the year, those are 25,550 premium seats that have to be sold round trip every year.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

cha747

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:33 am

binayak wrote:

Binayak - think about that one for a second. There are 3 full service carriers in India - Air India (Star Alliance), Jet Airways (unaligned but partially owned by Etihad and highly code-shared with Delta), and Vistara (unaligned but a joint venture with Singapore). So I doubt AA would want to have anything to do with those three. The remainder are LCC's. I don't know about DEL but at BOM an AA wide body arriving would then have to send connecting passengers to the feculent Terminal 1 that is 3 miles away in Santa Cruz. I doubt Indigo or SpiceJet would be interested in that mess. This could change if Indigo enters the full-service arena AND is able to secure slots at Terminal 2. For now AA should be quite happy with serving multiple Indian (and Asian for that matter) destinations from PHL by way of British Airways and Qatar AND by sending passengers to other hubs like DFW, ORD, and LAX where they can connect to other Asian partner carriers.

LAX772LR

Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:05 am

jfk777 wrote:
PHL maybe to close to New York and its two huge airports with flights to Asia. MIA has been dying for a flight to Asia and AA as the largest airline there should take advantage of this. Charlotte is AA's primary east coast hub, it should be able to find 200 passengers daily to fly to Tokyo and beyond to Asia.

jfk777 wrote:
A 787 should be no problem if AA had the will to do it

.....well, the logical followup to all the above would then be to ask yourself **WHY** they "don't have the will"

There's a very simple answer.

usairways85

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:41 pm

cha747 wrote:
1. I will not drive to EWR or JFK when I live 15 min from PHL. People who write that Delaware Valley, Brandywine Valley, and South Jersey residents prefer EWR and JFK really just have no clue. Amtrak, the Turnpike, and the Belt Parkway are nightmares and I'd pay $500-750 more per ticket to even fly from PHL to the west coast to catch an Asian connection. The time required to get from the Philly metro area to one of the NYC airports is equal to a flight from Philly to ORD or DFW. In 3 weeks I'm flying from PHL-SFO then to Asia from SFO to avoid EWR/JFK.

It's all preference and location. EWR is not around the corner and definitely further away from the southern parts of the Philadelphia area. That said, I've lived ~20 minutes East of PHL and ~20 minutes west of PHL for 15 years of my adult life and have opted to fly out of EWR close to 50 times.

PHLCVGAMTK

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:20 pm

If the JL/AA joint venture can make BOS-NRT work, they can make PHL-NRT work. BOS is a wealthier catchment than PHL, but it's a much more competitive one, with AA in third place behind DL/Skyteam and B6/EI/EK. PHL is much more of a fortress, with the serious competition being 140 km away at EWR, and has significantly more connecting feed than AA does at BOS.

Neither JL nor AA has 787s sitting around for new service, though, and AA in particular isn't expecting to expand its widebody fleet in the next four years, so unless either airline can pick up some unexpected 788s, those of us who are eager to fly PHL-NRT must remain patient.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos