Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AZa346
Topic Author

Air Italy flight operated by Qatar

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:11 am

Right now there is Air Italy flight IG603 MXP-FCO in the air and it is operated by A7-Lag , an Airbus A320 from Qatar Airways. I am well aware of Qatar being a big shareholder in IG, but i had no idea they were operating flights on their behalf. Does anyone know what the deal is? and what service do you get on those flights: QR or IG's?? any other flights like that??

TonyBurr

Re: Air Italy flight operated by Qatar

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:57 am

Qatar and its neighbors have had a falling out, over a year ago, and several surrounding countries will not allow the airline to fly there anymore, or even fly over their airspace. Thus, QATAR has a lot of idle aircraft so they are leasing them to other airlines. BA has leased some of their aircraft. So the aircraft might have the QATAR livery, but they are flying as another airlines. I do not know whose crew (although I presume they are QATAR) or what service is onboard.

sholmes

Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:09 pm

That airplane has been flying for months on behalf of IG (it should be a wet lease, albeit I'm not aware of the details) due to the fact that IG currently have a sorry short/medium-haul fleet. After all, also IG's long-haul fleet is made up of old QR aircraft (presently 332s) since IG is de facto QR's Italian subsidiary.

asuflyer

Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:10 pm

It is interim extra capacity. Additionally, Air Italy's 737MAX deliveries have been pushed back due to Boeing production delays, so QR has been providing extra lift. In addition to IG plans to shortly retire some of their older leased fleets. These flights are crewed by QR as no IG crew has been trained for the A320. QR has extra A320's, 8 of them, were supposed to be for their Al-Maha Airways but the KSA did not allow that project to proceed.

EChid

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 pm

Seems like it works out well for everyone. IG has need for narrowbodies, QR has a whole bunch it can't use at home. I questioned QRs approach with IG, especially given the Italian government's refusal to let Alitalia die, but this is a good solution to a crappy situation.

aemoreira1981

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:10 am

This A320 is operating on schedules that were scheduled with the B38M, which is QR's order book completely (although the first two were sold and leased back). I have to wonder if the MAX 8 order would have been kept otherwise, sold to a lessor, or if QR would create a leasing company itself, if it didn't find someone to place the order with (here, IG). QR and the EU aren't exactly strangers with intra-EU operations though; they provided 10 planes during the Monarch rescue flights (operating under Speedbird callsigns).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos