Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MalcolmInTheMoM

Re: AA New Uniforms Revealed

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:01 pm

AA321T wrote:
It’s not purple, the suiting is navy and the ties/pocket squares are blue with red detailing making them appear purple in the photos.

This could totally be the case. Think of the Spanish national soccer team's new uniform. Plenty of people see the blue stripe as purple (I do as well) but if you look at it closely it's actually a dark blue. It's an optical illusion that occurs when red and blue are put closely together. That AA tie is most likely blue and red.

global2

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
The scarves are awful. They look trashy and unprofessional. I don't know why they kept the dress with all the buttons on it. I don't think it's very flattering for any body type.

Yawn! Why not just go back to the pre-merger uniforms? I agree that one dress option is terrible. It just looks plain uncomfortable.

AA321T

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:11 pm

alfa164 wrote:
AA321T wrote:
It’s not purple, the suiting is navy and the ties/pocket squares are blue with red detailing making them appear purple in the photos.

Hmmm... that tie on the male "model" is definitely purple...

My friend is on the Frontline Uniform Advisory Team and was in the room when they unveiled the looks. Straight from his mouth the tie is blue with red accents making it appear purple but it is not purple.

global2

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Here's an interesting article highlighting some more inspired looks from the past...

https://www.racked.com/2013/11/13/7638041/post-17

N649DL

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:34 pm

TW870 wrote:
Oh no! Well, it is Land's End. So dated. I agree with the poster above that this feels like a retro uniform. Very TWA Ralph Lauren 1980s - although the TWA uniform was far more distinctive. This is like retro without style. I hope there is a window for public feedback so they can try to do at least something to spruce it up. But blue polyester is real tough to make interesting.

That's funny because I couldn't help but thinking TWA when I first saw the photo on the thread.

Didn't AA just get new uniforms? What was the issue with them to replace them with these new ones?

I actually really like them. I am also a fan of the large name tags where there is the first and last name printed on them (carried over from current uniform.)

smi0006

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:10 pm

That’s a really ugly uniform!

Way to many options, combined with the very poor grooming AA has it’s going to look a mess.

Curious to see if the new ‘bold signature items’ yet to be revealed make an improvement- doubtful

atlflyer

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Wow these are awful.
In contrast, check out BA’s new design. So much classier.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/british-a ... -uniforms/

kiowa

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:38 pm

I do not think they look that bad and wonder about the various body types that they have to accomodate. I even like Lands End clothes. If I remember correctly they are owed by Sears so I wonder about the long term viability of the vendor.

ewt340

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:42 pm

Uhmm....

Is that a design from 2002 or something?

Moosefire

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:00 pm

airtran737 wrote:
The pilots are switching to a very low quality M&H uniform. It’s pathetic compared to TwinHill.

Sorry to hear that. We wear M&H at my company and it’s pretty low quality...always been jealous of the latest generation AA pilot uniform.
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

phxtristar

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:15 pm

I had hoped the men Tie and Women scarf would have had the design/color pattern.....a soft approach of bring the Team together.

kiowa

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:46 pm

atlflyer wrote:
Wow these are awful.

Yes, those will look great on the Hong Kong based crewmembers of BA. :(

MIflyer12

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:47 pm

mfe777 wrote:
It was not all employees who voted, it was a committee made up of "85 employees" and apparently those 85 chosen for the committee have no sense of style.

Eighty-five employees is a big group. It's likely pretty representative of employees as a whole. So, don't don't like their choice...

jetero

Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:51 pm

kiowa wrote:
atlflyer wrote:
Wow these are awful.

Yes, those will look great on the Hong Kong based crewmembers of BA. :(

Um, I clicked the link and it refers to uniforms in progress (i.e., have not yet been designed).

smi0006

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:20 am

atlflyer wrote:
Wow these are awful.

BA haven’t got new uniforms yet. That’s the designer who’s been selected. In fairness though BA have hired a designer, did AA? For this round or the last- doesn’t look like it!
Last edited by smi0006 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

N766UA

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:31 am

1992 called...

DTWorld

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:40 am

That scarf is nearly as large as the people wearing them!

4engines4lnghll

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:30 am

alfa164 wrote:
AA321T wrote:

Hmmm... that tie on the male "model" is definitely purple...

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
Wow, they really went out on a limb and took a risk with that...*checks notes*...navy blue,the FA's allwed red, and white. So daring, so bold, so imaginative. They're...fine. They're not great. They're not hideous. They're just...fine.

The "checks" are definitely the most (maybe the only?) unique thing about the uniforms. The "checked" blouses look good by themselves, but the look gets very "busy" when the scarves are added. Are the FA's allowed to omit the scarves during every-day wear?

I've seen it in person and it is a dark eggplant color
4engines4lnghll

airzim

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:05 pm

Having seen the new Delta uniforms multiple times, the purple and red is just awful. They are horrible on every level despite their more “interesting” design. If I was a DL employee I would be embarrassed to wear them.

With that said, AA made a good safe choice. Stay classy and subtle.

Wise decision.

Northwest1988

Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:11 pm

It’s better than the Delta purple!

jb1087xna

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:29 pm

kiowa wrote:
I do not think they look that bad and wonder about the various body types that they have to accomodate. I even like Lands End clothes. If I remember correctly they are owed by Sears so I wonder about the long term viability of the vendor.

Sears spun off Lands' End a few years back, so no issues there.

kiowa

Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:59 pm

jb1087xna wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Sears spun off Lands' End a few years back, so no issues there.

thank you, that is good to know. Sears seems headed for extinction.

4engines4lnghll

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:24 pm

flyboy80 wrote:
Aren't AA FAs currently wearing a mix of three (?) uniforms? I saw one in Miami the other day with the old uniform on. I believe there was a grey uniform and then a darker second uniform that everyone was allergic to, is this correct?

AA is allowing employees to wear the older uniforms if they’ve had trouble with the fabric that was used on the recent uniforms. Some people have reactions to it some say it doesn’t bother their skin at all.
4engines4lnghll

starguy

Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Very boring for a new uniform.
An entire crew could stand together and look like they’re all working for different companies.

readytotaxi

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Well they voted for it. They have to wear it, we only have to look at them.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

jumbojet

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:16 pm

jetero wrote:
If there’s one thing that’s consistent, it’s that the industry has to have a whipping boy. It used to be UA, and now it’s AA. I have no idea what changed, but I knew it was coming..

The early 2000's, DL was the whipping boy. UA was top dog and AA was 2nd. 2007ish, it changed and DL became top dog (and they still are) but now UA is 2nd and AA is in last.

jetero

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:22 pm

jumbojet wrote:
jetero wrote:
If there’s one thing that’s consistent, it’s that the industry has to have a whipping boy. It used to be UA, and now it’s AA. I have no idea what changed, but I knew it was coming..

The early 2000's, DL was the whipping boy. UA was top dog and AA was 2nd. 2007ish, it changed and DL became top dog (and they still are) but now UA is 2nd and AA is in last.

If UA was top in the 2000s, other than before the summer 2000, I must’ve been living in a different country. Maybe they were the best of the worst at the time.
Last edited by jetero on Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

airtran737

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Moosefire wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
The pilots are switching to a very low quality M&H uniform. It’s pathetic compared to TwinHill.

Sorry to hear that. We wear M&H at my company and it’s pretty low quality...always been jealous of the latest generation AA pilot uniform.

I won’t wear this new garbage until I am forced to. AA didn’t do fittings or anything, just said “here’s a link, order your crap.” The blazers aren’t fitted by any means and are huge in the arms, the shirts are like gift paper, the pants are baggy, plastic buttons that will break quickly on the blazer, and the Made in China label lets you know that AA was going for great. What an effing joke. Doug Parker is destroying a legacy with his America West values.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

LawAndOrder

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:41 pm

airzim wrote:
Having seen the new Delta uniforms multiple times, the purple and red is just awful. They are horrible on every level despite their more “interesting” design. If I was a DL employee I would be embarrassed to wear them.

With that said, AA made a good safe choice. Stay classy and subtle.

Wise decision.

I don’t know who you have seen all my friends look amazing. I have friends that wear the purple and the red. Maybe your being exposed to sloppy people. Just because it’s blue doesn’t mean it’s classy. Hell Delta design without the color is more classy. Majority of the women’s blouses are up to their neck creating a more refined look. There is nothing subtle about that women’s checkered shirt (which I actually like) paired with that scarve. It’s to much to busy.

You can dislike DL uniform but u can’t discount Dl because you like to blend in lol. With the Delta refresh gearing up they could go back to red white and blue and still would look better. (It won’t happen)

LawAndOrder

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Northwest1988 wrote:
It’s better than the Delta purple!

Oh please not even close. That purple is beautiful. I see some still aren’t embracing change. If you are an employee of DL which your name would suggest there is always an opportunity to wear other uniforms if you like them better :-).

Can we seriously not discuss AA uniforms without addressing DL?

audian

Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:53 pm

No offence, but they all look like some off the shelf clearance inventory from the struggling department stores across US.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos