452QX

Re: Update on PAE (Everett) Commercial Passenger Service

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:03 pm

master14225 wrote:
The PAE setup is to attract Canadians to fly out of there, otherwise I don't see this setup working efficiently. A much more reason to fly out of PAE than YVR or BLI. It is like BUF and how it's for those who don't want to fly out of YYZ.

PAE is beneficial to the sizable part of the Puget Sound population that lives north of downtown Seattle. BLI is already popular with Canadian travelers.

7BOEING7

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:35 pm

master14225 wrote:
The PAE setup is to attract Canadians to fly out of there, otherwise I don't see this setup working efficiently. A much more reason to fly out of PAE than YVR or BLI. It is like BUF and how it's for those who don't want to fly out of YYZ.

It's not the Canadians that will use PAE, it's everybody (myself included) who lives from north Seattle to Bellingham who will be using PAE if the flights work for where we're going.

As for traffic, getting to SEATAC from the north is a lot harder than getting to PAE regardless of the time of day. Traffic from the U-district to PAE is not "bad all day", in fact right now(noon) it's "green" all the way, whereas going south is already jammed up into Seattle.

BoeingGuy

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:46 pm

7BOEING7 wrote:
master14225 wrote:

It's not the Canadians that will use PAE, it's everybody (myself included) who lives from north Seattle to Bellingham who will be using PAE if the flights work for where we're going.

As for traffic, getting to SEATAC from the north is a lot harder than getting to PAE regardless of the time of day. Traffic from the U-district to PAE is not "bad all day", in fact right now(noon) it's "green" all the way, whereas going south is already jammed up into Seattle.

I drove from BFI to near PAE at 2pm today and it was pretty backed up. However, like you said PAE is going to be incredibly convenient for a large population. Even if you live in Redmond or Kirkland, PAE will be faster to get to than SEA.

AFAIK, 16R has an ILS but 34L does not. Is that right? Do the E175s have IAN (integrated Approach Navigation) like the newer Boeing models for when they land on 34L?

wedgetail737

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:04 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:
mict wrote:
Would an AC flight to YVR be in the realm of possibilities in the future?
Also looks like airport is at capacity even before opening, could they theoretically build a third gate?

I wouldn't think this would he real high up. The airport is north of Seattle, somewhat at the edge of where the horrible traffic ends. According to Google, Seattle to Vancouver is 142 miles. PAE is north of Seattle. Everett to Vancouver shows to be 114 miles. I would't think there would be much of a market when one can drive or take the train. I would think someone flying to Hawaii would come before someone flying to Canada.

I can't imagine AC being remotely interested in this. They're already in a spot where their SEA routes are subject to alterations and so far as I know, PAE isn't planning on customs/pre-clearance. For that matter, if you're willing to deal with the border driving to YVR, you might as well roll down to SEA.

The only Canadian interest I see remotely is someone like Pacific Coastal, Island Air Express or KD Air...very remotely. But I agree with you.

wedgetail737

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:11 am

7BOEING7 wrote:
master14225 wrote:

PAE is also going to be popular to the Boeing Everett folks, Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, other island communities (like the San Juan Islands) and maybe the Port Angeles/Sequim areas. Maybe the likes of San Juan Airlines or even Kenmore Air will take advantage of the PAE connections.

master14225

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:39 am

BLI only has AS and Allegiant which is limited service. PAE on the other hand has WN which is big for those in Vancouver. I use WN all the time out of BUF so how would it not be the same for those in Vancouver?

452QX wrote:
master14225 wrote:

PAE is beneficial to the sizable part of the Puget Sound population that lives north of downtown Seattle. BLI is already popular with Canadian travelers.

wedgetail737

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:48 am

master14225 wrote:
BLI only has AS and Allegiant which is limited service. PAE on the other hand has WN which is big for those in Vancouver. I use WN all the time out of BUF so how would it not be the same for those in Vancouver?

452QX wrote:
master14225 wrote:

Only if the Canadians are willing to drive 2 hours from the time they cross the border. No...I'm not including the potential hours at the border itself. It's not like PAE is directly across the US/Canadian border like Buffalo, NY.

kylesuo

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:32 am

Why would this be for Canadians? YVR has way more flights, and is much closer. Only advantage I could see is potentially lower fares to US destinations, but those destinations are going to remain fairly regional.

Snohomish County is quite populous and quickly growing. Even for those in North Seattle, PAE could be quicker and much less hassle than getting to and dealing with SEA.

wnflyguy

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:10 pm

Sounding like UA and AS will both be having a 737-800 RON in PAE.
AS to SJC and UA to DEN.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Curious as to when WN go to Midway or Denver which would really connect PAE to the rest of the US. United seems to have two flights to Denver which would have good connections. Otherwise these flights are all regional West Coast. Any speculation as to so few flights to really good connections to the mid-west and east?
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

flyinggoat

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:11 pm

I would love a transcon flight from PAE or BLI to either IAD or ATL. I live in the San Juan Islands, and the drive to SEA is a pain, on top of dealing with flaky ferries. If airlines started serving these city pairs, without inflating prices much, I would have very little reason to fly out of SEA.

A mid day DL BLI-ATL flight would be perfect, but that would probably never happen, unless DL starts using the C-series on long, thin routes.
Last edited by flyinggoat on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SANFan

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:12 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
AS to SJC and UA to DEN.
Flyguy

Source please. I just woke up and may not be awake yet but where did you see that UA and AS are planning on using Boeing a/c at PAE?

Last I heard, AS and UA are using EMJs exclusively at PAE; WN is the one, of course, flying 737s in and out of PAE.

bb

hiflyeras

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:34 pm

SANFan wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
AS to SJC and UA to DEN.
Flyguy

Source please. I just woke up and may not be awake yet but where did you see that UA and AS are planning on using Boeing a/c at PAE?

Last I heard, AS and UA are using EMJs exclusively at PAE; WN is the one, of course, flying 737s in and out of PAE.

bb

AFAIK, neither UA or AS are bringing mainline jets into PAE. AS will be using E175's operated by Horizon Air but they've stated that should the new service be a rousing success that they will upgrade to mainline in the future. We'll see how WN does with filling 737's out of PAE...I'm sure the UA and AS station managers will be watching with clickers in their hands! ;)

PlanesNTrains

Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:50 pm

I couldn’t download the timetable on my phone but, while not prolific, there will be a number of options over PDX for AS. Certainly DEN on UA or WN will/would offer more.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

dbo861

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:15 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Curious as to when WN go to Midway or Denver which would really connect PAE to the rest of the US. United seems to have two flights to Denver which would have good connections. Otherwise these flights are all regional West Coast. Any speculation as to so few flights to really good connections to the mid-west and east?

LAS will do a pretty good job of connecting passengers to the rest of the US for WN. There are only a handful of cities in WN’s network not served from LAS.

SANFan

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:19 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I couldn’t download the timetable on my phone but, while not prolific, there will be a number of options over PDX for AS. Certainly DEN on UA or WN will/would offer more.

Correct about AS and PDX but remember, AS will also fly to 2 more hubs -- SFO and LAX -- as well as their 2 focus cities -- SJC and SAN -- from PAE. So, depending on what skeds AS is able to offer, there should be some network connections available over 5 cities that AAG will serve from Everett.

However, I'm not sure how many connecting pax AS plans on carrying from the new airport north of SEA. With EMJs being used, O&D traffic may very well account for the majority of their pax. All 8 of their routes from PAE are to cities that have lots of flights to SEA and I assume they figure PAE will simply tap into that local traffic to/from SEA/TAC.

bb

PlanesNTrains

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:25 pm

SANFan wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Correct about AS and PDX but remember, AS will also fly to 2 more hubs -- SFO and LAX -- as well as their 2 focus cities -- SJC and SAN -- from PAE. So, depending on what skeds AS is able to offer, there should be some network connections available over 5 cities that AAG will serve from Everett.

However, I'm not sure how many connecting pax AS plans on carrying from the new airport north of SEA. With EMJs being used, O&D traffic may very well account for the majority of their pax. All 8 of their routes from PAE are to cities that have lots of flights to SEA and I assume they figure PAE will simply tap into that local traffic to/from SEA/TAC.

bb

Of course. However, PDX is used as a connecting point for all those Q's etc flying SEA-PDX. PAE-PDX 3x is likely to provide options for folks who otherwise would be driving to SEA and flying nonstop. PAE will not survive imo just catering to O&D, and PDX offers the shortest connecting itinerary and the most options of any of the cities offered by AS.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Midwestindy

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

hiflyeras

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 pm

Looks fantastic! Can't wait for AS to start service out of PAE!

Western727

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:55 pm

Thank you, Midwestindy! I can't wait to see how it does in the first year.

Separately, I love the full-window jetways and wish that was the norm everywhere.
Jack @ AUS

many321

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Love that departure/arrivals board.

Rbgso

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:28 pm

Nice looking airport. Agree about the full length window jet bridges, it's a nice touch.

AaronPGH

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:34 pm

Slick! And screams pacific northwest as well.

SANFan

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:48 pm

The interior design does look very nice but I wonder how much space there really is in the lounges, etc.?

Assuming eventually AS (& UA?) upgrade flights to mainline, or that there will be delays of all sorts where 3 or 4 plane-loads of pax will be inside the terminal waiting for flights -- again, perhaps a 738 or a 739 at some point? -- how's that space going to handle it? This isn't some small airport that's going to be seeing a couple of CR2s a day...

Anyway, I'm also excited about the start of service next month and I hope everything goes according to plans and design.

bb

JayWings

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:58 pm

That terminal looks amazing! I can’t wait to fly out of there!

iamlucky13

Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:19 pm

SANFan wrote:
The interior design does look very nice but I wonder how much space there really is in the lounges, etc.?

Assuming eventually AS (& UA?) upgrade flights to mainline, or that there will be delays of all sorts where 3 or 4 plane-loads of pax will be inside the terminal waiting for flights -- again, perhaps a 738 or a 739 at some point? -- how's that space going to handle it? This isn't some small airport that's going to be seeing a couple of CR2s a day...

Anyway, I'm also excited about the start of service next month and I hope everything goes according to plans and design.

bb

There should only be two planeloads waiting at the same time, but there could be 2 more deboarding. For the near term, it will be 76 seaters. Certainly 737's could come in the future, though.

For what it's worth, the gate area looks to be about 7000 square feet based on the permit drawings. I'm sure that will feel pretty crowded if there are a pair of 737-900's worth of passengers waiting for a flight - about 20 square feet per person not accounting for furnishings and walkways.

travaz

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:24 am

Wow that looks like a nice trip PHX PAE and return after a Boeing tour.

SeaDoo
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 pm

At the start of the year I thought of staring a thread for PAE for 2019, including doing a timetable on the flights. Haven't got around to it yet, but here the local newspaper did what I intended to do.

https://www.heraldnet.com/nl-weeklybusi ... er-service

wedgetail737

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:00 pm

For those that don't know, WN is no longer going to be serving PAE. WN's "slots" went to AS. Due to the Federal Government shutdown, there is a significant risk that the opening of PAE will be delayed until the government can get their heads out of their butts and reopen it.

atrude777

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:15 pm

I looked around and didn't see if mentioned.

United Ground Express (UGE) will be doing the Ground Handling for ATW-Above The Wing for United in PAE. I ironically have been selected along with another instructor to train the folks out there at PAE.

I am looking forward to spending time up there and checking it all out!

The photos look amazing!

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

BoeingGuy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:22 pm

atrude777 wrote:
I looked around and didn't see if mentioned.

United Ground Express (UGE) will be doing the Ground Handling for ATW-Above The Wing for United in PAE. I ironically have been selected along with another instructor to train the folks out there at PAE.

I am looking forward to spending time up there and checking it all out!

The photos look amazing!

Alex

If you have any questions about the area like good restaraunts, breweries or sightseeing places, feel free to PM me. Mukilteo is great.

I’m also looking forward to flying out of such a convenient airport.

smithbs

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:28 pm

Beautiful terminal - I'm hoping to try it out in March, so long as the schedule holds.

Like the picture of the jetway and the KC-46 in the background. I guess I can count tanker tails when I'm there.

BoeingGuy

Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:10 pm

smithbs wrote:
Beautiful terminal - I'm hoping to try it out in March, so long as the schedule holds.

Like the picture of the jetway and the KC-46 in the background. I guess I can count tanker tails when I'm there.

You can also count the impressive line up of 787s being readied for delivery. This will be a very cool airport.

travaz

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:08 am

I will definitely take a 2 or 3 day turn on an AS non stop out of Phoenix. Are there hotels nearby?

charlib52

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:13 am

travaz wrote:
I will definitely take a 2 or 3 day turn on an AS non stop out of Phoenix. Are there hotels nearby?

https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/ ... index.html

Hilton Garden Inn is right on the north flightline by the approach to 16R. Decent place, amazing location. Have stayed there a number of times even as a local :)

travaz

Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 am

charlib52 wrote:
travaz wrote:

Hilton Garden Inn is right on the north flightline by the approach to 16R. Decent place, amazing location. Have stayed there a number of times even as a local :)

Thank You for the info.

iamlucky13

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:14 am

charlib52 wrote:
travaz wrote:

Some of the windows should have a good view of landings or aircraft lining up for takeoff.

It is right next to the Future of Flight center where tickets for the Boeing tour are sold. The center has an observation deck, although I think it now requires admission. I believe a lot of the pictures on kpae.blogspot.com are taken from the deck, if you'd like to know what the view is like. It's also about a 5 minute drive from the very pleasant Mukilteo waterfront. On the other side of Paine Field are two great classic aircraft museums owned by private individuals, as well as the Restoration Center for the superb Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Keep in mind the flight rate is not very high, but the view is good when the timing is right.

seabosdca

Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 am

I'm in central Seattle, closer to SEA than PAE (and with the train and far friendlier traffic headed in the direction of SEA), and even so those pictures make me want to book a trip out of PAE when the timings permit.

LAXintl

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:10 pm

Service delayed

Start of service delayed until March 4 at Paine Field
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airli ... t=z0fIC36v

Several key groups within the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which conduct crucial certification and oversight work required for the start of commercial air service at Paine Field, are subject to furloughs because of the government shutdown. The FAA’s work on the environmental assessment continues. However, essential work groups within the FAA are furloughed and further delays are expected if the shutdown continues.

It’s a tough decision, but we believe the responsible action is to postpone the start of service at Paine Field. Originally set for Feb. 11, 2019, we’re now scheduling service to begin on March 4 – subject to receipt of all required government approvals.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

janders

Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:05 pm

Not much choice. Have to wait until all the legal approvals are in place.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

BA

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:07 pm

I noticed the developers of the terminal have been rebuilding most of the Snohomish County Airport/Paine Field office building just next to the terminal. I've since learned they've taken it over and it will be the terminal's ground transportation building.

https://flypainefield.com/about/parking

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/pass ... ding-call/

Brett Smith, Propeller’s CEO, said there won’t be a traditional car rental counter because “most airports have moved away from this concept.” Instead there will be a rental car facility at the ground transportation center — a small building near baggage claim — where customers can board a courtesy van for the car lot.

I'm confused about this last part regarding the courtesy van. What rental car lot are they talking about?
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

jetmatt777

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:58 pm

BA wrote:
I noticed the developers of the terminal have been rebuilding most of the Snohomish County Airport/Paine Field office building just next to the terminal. I've since learned they've taken it over and it will be the terminal's ground transportation building.

Brett Smith, Propeller’s CEO, said there won’t be a traditional car rental counter because “most airports have moved away from this concept.” Instead there will be a rental car facility at the ground transportation center — a small building near baggage claim — where customers can board a courtesy van for the car lot.

I'm confused about this last part regarding the courtesy van. What rental car lot are they talking about?

Sounds like there will be a parking lot offsite, but the rental car counters will be in that small building. So you will pay and get your keys and then they will drive you to the lot to get your car.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:37 pm

janders wrote:

I wonder if PAE will get their approvals before the next shutdown in a few days.

iamlucky13

Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:49 am

BA wrote:

Considering the small size of the terminal, especially for the sake of having rental service available early on, I would guess they mean existing rental offices in the Everett area.

Enterprise, for example, has a rental location 2 miles away on Everett Mall Parkway.

32andBelow

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:01 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
janders wrote:

I wonder if PAE will get their approvals before the next shutdown in a few days.

The FAA isn’t really rushing to approve shit with a shutdown coming. They aren’t even really up and running from the last one. The employees haven’t even been paid what they are owed.

travaz

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:11 am

32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
janders wrote:

The FAA isn’t really rushing to approve shit with a shutdown coming. They aren’t even really up and running from the last one. The employees haven’t even been paid what they are owed.

Fake news. According to the Federal News Network everyone would be paid by Jan 31.

http://federalnewsnetwork.com/governmen ... -shutdown/

Aliqiout

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:22 am

travaz wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Fake news. According to the Federal News Network everyone would be paid by Jan 31.

http://federalnewsnetwork.com/governmen ... -shutdown/

But, many of them didn't, and those that did got only partial pay. The promise is that the difference will be made up next week.

BA

Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:34 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
BA wrote:

Considering the small size of the terminal, especially for the sake of having rental service available early on, I would guess they mean existing rental offices in the Everett area.

Enterprise, for example, has a rental location 2 miles away on Everett Mall Parkway.

If BLI has it's own rental car agencies, I don't see why PAE couldn't.

The problem with the off airport lots is their opening hours are limited and that's not going to work well with an airport that has flights spanning from 6AM to after 11PM.

Also, if all this is, is just to accommodate vans that take passengers to the off airport lots, then it seems having a dedicated ground transportation building is overkill. The building is big enough to put a couple rental car desks, I can't imagine what else would go in it.

I guess we'll find out in a month, if there isn't another delay of course.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

BA

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:48 pm

There's going to be 3 aircraft parking positions at the terminal. 2 with jetbridges and one without, right in front of the control tower.

Gate 2 will have a ramp and staircase to give passengers access to this non-jetbridge position. McGee Air Services already has an aircraft ramp there, so they're anticipating regular operations.

This makes sense as the current 24 flights per day schedule is going to make 2-gate operations a challenge at peak times.

Handling 3 E175s at the same time shouldn't be too difficult since the terminal hold rooms were designed for 2 737s.

BA

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:46 pm

Here's a picture of them testing the departure screen, you can see a few flights departing out of gate A2A which is the hardstand position in front of the control tower:
https://twitter.com/KrisJohnson_IOM/sta ... 1471621120

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos