wnflyguy

Re: Update on PAE (Everett) Commercial Passenger Service

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:54 pm

BA wrote:
Here's a picture of them testing the departure screen, you can see a few flights departing out of gate A2A which is the hardstand position in front of the control tower:
https://twitter.com/KrisJohnson_IOM/sta ... 1471621120

A2A from my understanding is only to be used in IROPS conditions per the local city agreement.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

many321

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:55 pm

BA wrote:
Here's a picture of them testing the departure screen, you can see a few flights departing out of gate A2A which is the hardstand position in front of the control tower:

Love that departure screen.

BA

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:04 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
BA wrote:

A2A from my understanding is only to be used in IROPS conditions per the local city agreement.

Flyguy

That may have been the case before the increase to 24 departures. Much has changed since project began.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

wedgetail737

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:45 pm

I hope PAE will get the air service approvals from the FAA before the next Government shutdown in a few days.

BA

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:55 am

"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

travaz

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:15 am

This sounds like a perfect Summer getaway from Phoenix. I find it odd that there was opposition to commercial flights when Boeing is flying heaveys out of there all day long. That is the mindset of some NIMBY's

7BOEING7

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:59 am

travaz wrote:
This sounds like a perfect Summer getaway from Phoenix. I find it odd that there was opposition to commercial flights when Boeing is flying heaveys out of there all day long. That is the mindset of some NIMBY's

Back when the battle started there was probably less than 2 heavy flights a day and 2 737s on average. It’s gone up since then but not by appreciably. The nimbys even tried to say commercial flights would interfere with the Boeing flights—grasping at straws.

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:03 am

travaz wrote:

Boeing doesn’t fly that many heavies a day out of PAE. What, maybe five a day? Plus it’s only during daylight hours. A few ATS flights may go out at night. I’ve heard an occasional departure at midnight.

PlanesNTrains

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:07 am

I'm not trying to be argumentative about the "NIMBY" thing, as I tend to agree with the idea that PAE can support more flights without appreciably impacting the neighboring community, but at the same time I'm guessing that most of us would object if the road in front of our house that had been fairly quiet for years was suddenly turned into a four lane thoroughfare. We'd probably be classed as "NIMBY's" for protesting it too, even though it'd benefit the community at large. Having said that, I'm thankful for PAE and hope it's successful.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

BoeingGuy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:24 am

PlanesNTrains wrote:
I'm not trying to be argumentative about the "NIMBY" thing, as I tend to agree with the idea that PAE can support more flights without appreciably impacting the neighboring community, but at the same time I'm guessing that most of us would object if the road in front of our house that had been fairly quiet for years was suddenly turned into a four lane thoroughfare. We'd probably be classed as "NIMBY's" for protesting it too, even though it'd benefit the community at large. Having said that, I'm thankful for PAE and hope it's successful.

Not argumentative. You have a valid point. Right now the airplane noise is relatively infrequent and mostly during the day, so doesn’t bother me. Ask me again in a few years after having so many more flights a day. For now, I’m looking forward to flying out of such a convenient airport.

seabosdca

Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:42 am

I'm happy to poke fun at airport NIMBYs. If you move in close proximity to a large airport, you need to expect aircraft movements. You can't expect that minimal usage of such a facility will continue forever in a rapidly growing metropolitan area. It would be sort of like if I had moved into my house, which is in central Seattle, and somehow thought apartments wouldn't be built nearby.

strangeplanes

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 am

seabosdca wrote:
I'm happy to poke fun at airport NIMBYs. If you move in close proximity to a large airport, you need to expect aircraft movements. You can't expect that minimal usage of such a facility will continue forever in a rapidly growing metropolitan area. It would be sort of like if I had moved into my house, which is in central Seattle, and somehow thought apartments wouldn't be built nearby.

The classical NIMBY is surprised when multi family buildings are built in popular and growing areas.

SANFan

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:26 pm

AP News reports today that flights are a go at PAE! (Link: https://apnews.com/1e0d9f2a5228430b8e8036e46bdcd3c2 )

AS will begin scheduled service on March 4 (as last indicated, with the 8 various routes starting over a staggered period of about a week) with UA beginning flights on March 31.

Looks like flights from Everett will finally be departing in about a week and a half! Exciting news.!

bb

(Sorry A.netters for the duplicate report of this news; I somehow missed the post upthread that already noted it.)

dc10lover

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 pm

I still think demand will require 737's & A320's.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

iamlucky13

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:20 am

Flights start just in time for anyone who wants to fly in to see the 777X rollout. March is a very noteworthy month for this low-volume airport.

My first potential trip from PAE would be in April. There's no direct flights to where I'll be going, but I don't think there are from SEA, either.

SeaDoo
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:08 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Flights start just in time for anyone who wants to fly in to see the 777X rollout. March is a very noteworthy month for this low-volume airport.

My first potential trip from PAE would be in April. There's no direct flights to where I'll be going, but I don't think there are from SEA, either.

Where are you going?

BA

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:59 pm

I will get to fly out of PAE the 2nd week of March, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

I drove by it today and the terminal road loop is opened to general traffic. The terminal is pretty much done, just some final tweaking by some contractors.

However, the ground transportation building, looks like still has a good amount of work left. I'm not sure it will be done in time for the March 4 launch.

I am almost positive the ground transportation building was an afterthought and was not part of the original plan.

teachpdx

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:10 pm

I noticed that AS flights to/from PDX are around half the price of SEA for the next couple of months.

For $70 round trip I may just hop up and check the place out.
Up Next: DI SEA-LGW | AF CDG-PRG | OK PRG-CPH | D8 CPH-LGW | DI LGW-SEA

wedgetail737

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:26 pm

dc10lover wrote:
I still think demand will require 737's & A320's.

I think it will eventually. I think AS will bring in 737's before UA brings in Airbus aircraft. Maybe there will be ex-VX Airbus aircraft.

gunsontheroof

Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:48 pm

The facility looks great! I've got a wedding in California to attend in May and plan on booking PAE-SJC-SEA to check it out. I live almost exactly halfway between the two airports and might book similarly in the future if fares are agreeable. Hitch a ride to PAE for the outbound, take public transit out of SEA on the way home. Not bad!
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

xjetflyer2001

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:14 pm

I plan on being on the inaugural UA flight from DEN to PAE on the 31st of March

iamlucky13

Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:44 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

Where are you going?

International trip for work. I'd rather not discuss details, but even SEA would have at least one connection. To be honest, SEA probably will be the better option for this trip, but I'm going to at least check if connecting from PAE through Denver provides similar convenience to flying out of SEA.

I'm certain there will be future domestic trips where I will fly out of Paine Field, as long as demand isn't so strong that prices are far out of line with SEA.

xjetflyer2001 wrote:

Very cool! Have a smooth flight!

BA

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:25 am

Nice photos courtesy of The Seattle Times here:
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... hts-start/

wedgetail737

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:45 am

Maybe that will entice a regional carrier like San Juan Airlines or a Canadian regional to start service to PAE.

flyinggoat

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:00 am

The new terminal looks fantastic!

PAE is going to be much more convenient for those of us living north of Seattle. I’ll be flying PAE-PHX in April, and I’m really looking forward to it.

It sounds like the Bellair Airporter bus service will be offering nine trips to PAE as well.

SeaDoo
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:25 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

Where are you going?

International trip for work. I'd rather not discuss details, but even SEA would have at least one connection. To be honest, SEA probably will be the better option for this trip, but I'm going to at least check if connecting from PAE through Denver provides similar convenience to flying out of SEA.

Sorry if that was too personal to ask. I wrote it, submitted it, then thought it seemed potentially a little creepy or stalkeresque that I asked. Happy travels.

xjetflyer2001

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:27 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:

Where are you going?

I'm certain there will be future domestic trips where I will fly out of Paine Field, as long as demand isn't so strong that prices are far out of line with SEA.

xjetflyer2001 wrote:

Very cool! Have a smooth flight!

Thanks

wnflyguy

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:25 pm

BA wrote:

I love the first photo had a WN plane in the background.
Still Sad WN just gave these slots away.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

iamlucky13

Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:07 pm

SeaDoo wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:

Where are you going?

Sorry if that was too personal to ask. I wrote it, submitted it, then thought it seemed potentially a little creepy or stalkeresque that I asked. Happy travels.

No worries. I get that this is a forum where we're all naturally curious about how people are making use of a new airport. I just prefer to the keep that level of information private. Cheers!

travaz

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:02 pm

I was looking PHX PAE for march 22 thru the 25 and they have $89 fares (Y) one way and $273 F. That is a good deal and might be worth the trip.

BA

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:12 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
BA wrote:

I love the first photo had a WN plane in the background.
Still Sad WN just gave these slots away.

Flyguy

Yeah it's ironic. WN shows up there a lot due to the ATS hangar right next door.

iamlucky13

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:44 pm

BA wrote:

It looks like some of them have been published before, and there's nothing significantly different from what we've seen before, but overall, it's the best view of the interior I've seen yet.

I wonder how long before all those big, plush lounge chairs get replaced with the usual, higher density "Thou shalt not nap before departure!" chairs every other airport I've been in uses.

BA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:44 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
It looks like some of them have been published before, and there's nothing significantly different from what we've seen before, but overall, it's the best view of the interior I've seen yet.

These are different photos, as these have the airport signage up which were installed only a few weeks ago.

SANFan

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:12 pm

I wonder how long before all those big, plush lounge chairs get replaced with the usual, higher density "Thou shalt not nap before departure!" chairs every other airport I've been in uses.

:checkmark: Ever since I've seen these interior shots of the PAE terminal, I've wondered what the designers were thinking (or smoking?)

It's great to make an airport waiting room look more like an airline private lounge and I suppose it might work for a small, lightly used passenger terminal with a handful of CRJs each day.

That is not a description of PAE. With what, 24 daily flights, I believe all 70+ seaters at a minimum, located in the PNW -- land of potential year-round weather delays -- and a whopping 2 (or is it now 3?) gate positions, how many pax waiting to depart on 2 to 3 flights at a time, through most of the day, will that terminal have to handle? Then throw in a couple of late departures due to wx, I can just see the relatively few chairs available will be full with possibly hundreds of additional people sitting on the floor, and those cute little tables, or just standing shoulder-to-shoulder waiting for their turn to board and depart. Most of the time, those pretty, plush armchairs will not even be visible! The complaints will start almost immediately.

Nice appearance for the pre-release photos but I would bet that within a week of UA beginning service at the end of March, things will look a LOT different at the Everett terminal. If not long before that time.

bb

BA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 pm

SANFan wrote:

:checkmark: Ever since I've seen these interior shots of the PAE terminal, I've wondered what the designers were thinking (or smoking?)

It's great to make an airport waiting room look more like an airline private lounge and I suppose it might work for a small, lightly used passenger terminal with a handful of CRJs each day.

That is not a description of PAE. With what, 24 daily flights, I believe all 70+ seaters at a minimum, located in the PNW -- land of potential year-round weather delays -- and a whopping 2 (or is it now 3?) gate positions, how many pax waiting to depart on 2 to 3 flights at a time, through most of the day, will that terminal have to handle? Then throw in a couple of late departures due to wx, I can just see the relatively few chairs available will be full with possibly hundreds of additional people sitting on the floor, and those cute little tables, or just standing shoulder-to-shoulder waiting for their turn to board and depart. Most of the time, those pretty, plush armchairs will not even be visible! The complaints will start almost immediately.

Nice appearance for the pre-release photos but I would bet that within a week of UA beginning service at the end of March, things will look a LOT different at the Everett terminal. If not long before that time.

bb

The traditional high density seating exists at both gate areas. Take a look here:
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-airli ... ousel-9725

These plush lounge chairs and loungers are in the open area in the middle of the terminal in front of the bar.

It looks like they spent quite a bit on the lounge chairs, which are Swiss-made:
https://www.liveineverett.com/blog//pai ... d-in-there

They're not going to spend all this just for show to all of a sudden discard them.

Not sure what you mean about "year round weather delays." The PNW is definitely not hammered by constant weather delays like out east. What weather delays it gets happen in the winter time, and they're not "constant."

LAXBUR

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:07 pm

SANFan wrote:

bb

To be fair even congested SEA is pretty low on the list when it comes to delays compared to other major hubs. The weather may be dismal but it isn’t really severe that often. Snow or ice are a one off issue maybe once a year at most. Fog is usually the main weather issue at SEA. I’m not familiar with PAE’s geography to know if fog is common there and what the minimums are there.

BA

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:29 pm

The terminal was designed to handle two 737s at a time. For now, there are no plans for 737 service.

All 24 flights per day will be on Embraer 175s. Most of the day the terminal will be handling two Embraer 175s at a time, with some peak periods handling three. At the times when it's handling three E175s, the Gate 2A/2B seating area will be congested a bit and some passengers will need to sit in the central lounge area or use the Gate 1 seating. Not a huge deal.

In general, seating should be fine, as this terminal will experience very quick passenger turnover due to the small size. Most passengers are not going to come and arrive two hours before their flight.

seabosdca

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:45 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
To be fair even congested SEA is pretty low on the list when it comes to delays compared to other major hubs. The weather may be dismal but it isn’t really severe that often. Snow or ice are a one off issue maybe once a year at most. Fog is usually the main weather issue at SEA. I’m not familiar with PAE’s geography to know if fog is common there and what the minimums are there.

PAE is similar to SEA in that it sits on a highish (relative to local terrain) plateau not far from Puget Sound. And, like SEA, PAE is prone to marine fog when the air is still and cool.

USAirKid

Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:41 am

SANFan wrote:

The only thing I've thought that about is the reaaaaly long couch. From what I've seen strangers don't like to sit that close to each other. All the other seating seems to make quite a bit of sense.

SANFan

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:08 pm

I do in fact have a bit of knowledge about the greater SEA area -- I have a home on Whidbey Island.

I know that Everett is considered a convergence zone where storms heading east off the Pacific hit the Olympics and are swung around south and north of those mountains and come back to meet east of the range, and Whidbey Island: right around Everett in fact. There is a lot of bad weather there. I've spent a lot of time up in the PNW over the last many years and have been to the PAE area a lot for shopping and medical appointments, etc. The weather there is quite different than Seattle or the south sound.

I'm anxious to see how things go at PAE. I'm very happy to see commercial service there and I'll probably make use of the airport next time I fly to Whidbey. I assume I will be able to take a bus, a shuttle, (or Uber or ?) from the terminal down to the Mukilteo ferry, hop over to the Island, and get picked up by friends or relatives at Clinton. (Note to self: I need to check with the Whidbey Island Shuttle and see if they plan to serve PAE along with SEA, etc.)

bb

BenChSFO

Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:44 pm

I live on Whidbey and according to the Whidbey SeaTac Shuttle website, they will be offering service from Whidbey to PAE. They haven't published their schedule yet. I'm really looking forward to having PAE as an alternative to SEA.

SANFan

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:19 pm

BenChSFO wrote:
I live on Whidbey and according to the Whidbey SeaTac Shuttle website, they will be offering service from Whidbey to PAE. They haven't published their schedule yet. I'm really looking forward to having PAE as an alternative to SEA.

I called and spoke someone at the Shuttle. They are aware of the start-up dates of flights but are just waiting for final approval from the airport. I was told they plan 2 trips a day to PAE which will be run totally separately from the SEA runs; they will test the Whidbey-PAE market and expect to increase service if/when the service proves popular!

For those unfamiliar, the Whidbey Shuttle would pick up arriving pax at the PAE terminal, take the ferry from Muk to Clinton, and deliver them at one of many stops on the Island, all the way up to Oak Harbor. It will certainly be more expensive than doing it on your own (as I mentioned earlier) but it's very convenient and it's a well-run operation that I've used many times to and from SEA/TAC.

bb

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:35 pm

SANFan wrote:
I do in fact have a bit of knowledge about the greater SEA area -- I have a home on Whidbey Island.

I know that Everett is considered a convergence zone where storms heading east off the Pacific hit the Olympics and are swung around south and north of those mountains and come back to meet east of the range, and Whidbey Island: right around Everett in fact. There is a lot of bad weather there. I've spent a lot of time up in the PNW over the last many years and have been to the PAE area a lot for shopping and medical appointments, etc. The weather there is quite different than Seattle or the south sound.

I'm anxious to see how things go at PAE. I'm very happy to see commercial service there and I'll probably make use of the airport next time I fly to Whidbey. I assume I will be able to take a bus, a shuttle, (or Uber or ?) from the terminal down to the Mukilteo ferry, hop over to the Island, and get picked up by friends or relatives at Clinton. (Note to self: I need to check with the Whidbey Island Shuttle and see if they plan to serve PAE along with SEA, etc.)

bb

I don’t find that the case. I live in Mukilteo. Often times it’s dry there, but raining at BFI. It seems a bit windier sometimes, but I haven’t observed the weather being worse than other nearby areas.

BA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:46 pm

SANFan wrote:
BenChSFO wrote:

I called and spoke someone at the Shuttle. They are aware of the start-up dates of flights but are just waiting for final approval from the airport. I was told they plan 2 trips a day to PAE which will be run totally separately from the SEA runs; they will test the Whidbey-PAE market and expect to increase service if/when the service proves popular!

For those unfamiliar, the Whidbey Shuttle would pick up arriving pax at the PAE terminal, take the ferry from Muk to Clinton, and deliver them at one of many stops on the Island, all the way up to Oak Harbor. It will certainly be more expensive than doing it on your own (as I mentioned earlier) but it's very convenient and it's a well-run operation that I've used many times to and from SEA/TAC.

bb

They got final approval last Wednesday (February 20). Belair Airporter has already announced their schedules.

studedave

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:47 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
I don’t find that the case. I live in Mukilteo. Often times it’s dry there, but raining at BFI.
It seems a bit windier sometimes, but I haven’t observed the weather being worse than other nearby areas.

I'm confused-- what's BFI got to do with weather at PAE?
That field is what- 30 miles away.....?
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

7BOEING7

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:06 pm

studedave wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
I don’t find that the case. I live in Mukilteo. Often times it’s dry there, but raining at BFI.
It seems a bit windier sometimes, but I haven’t observed the weather being worse than other nearby areas.

Somebody was comparing the weather to that of SeaTac upstream so BFI is also somewhat relative. Has in you can’t say they would necessarily be similar on any given day.

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:25 pm

studedave wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Not sure if you read the comment I was responding to. He stated that the weather at PAE is often worse than it is in Seattle. I stated I don’t observe that to be the case in my experience.

studedave

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:16 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Not sure if you read the comment I was responding to. He stated that the weather at PAE is often worse than it is in Seattle. I stated I don’t observe that to be the case in my experience.

I see. As someone who grew up just a few miles from PAE-- near Silver Lake-- I also know a thing or two about the weather there.

But anyway....
I'm trying to figure out where they think everyone who's going to use that terminal is supposed to park.
Classic planes, Classic trains, and Studebakers~~ what else is there???

BA

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:44 pm

studedave wrote:
But anyway....
I'm trying to figure out where they think everyone who's going to use that terminal is supposed to park.

At one of the three parking lots.
https://www.flypainefield.com/about/parking

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:53 pm

studedave wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I see. As someone who grew up just a few miles from PAE-- near Silver Lake-- I also know a thing or two about the weather there.

But anyway....

I was speaking anecdotally. I haven’t looked at the actual weather data. I can just think of plenty of times I’ve driven from near PAE to BFI and it seemed clearer up north. At least, not consistently worse weather up north. The Whidbey Island guy may very well be correct statistically speaking. Just wasn’t my anecdotal observation.

However, there are plenty of mornings where it’s REALLY fogged in off 526 at the north end of the PAE runway. I don’t believe the PAE ILS is CAT3. Not sure how that will go.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos