Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
gwrudolph
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:19 pm

WkndWanderer wrote:
EChid wrote:
And for those praising UA's "strategic" purchase of the 77Ws, it was only barely strategic. As far as I recall, the whole deal started with UA looking for a new smaller a/c a la Airbus A223 but Boeing, wanting to snuff out the competition, came in with an absolute bottom-of-the-barrel offer on some 738s that UA absolutely did not need but accepted for a ridiculous price. When management changed, they realized the stupidity of the deal and swapped their 738s for some end-of-the-line (well, almost) 77Ws for a good price. I call that turning a sow's ear into a silk purse, not wonderfully "strategic." The 77Ws have worked well as a flagship debut for the Polaris hard product, do there's that.


United's initial 77W order was a year before the sweetheart 737 deal, which was for 73G's, the initial 10 were 787 conversions I think. The 73G order ended up converted to 61 MAX's.


But the point is still the same . . . Some of their fleet decisions in the last 5-10 years have been real head-scratchers. I have to agree that I don’t think the 777W purchase was all that strategic. I think they found a hole in their fleet with the 747 retirements and needed to fill it quickly. Lucky for them, Boeing was probably interested in cutting a deal on a near-last-generation aircraft. Similar on the purchase of the used 319/320s. I don’t think it is a strategic move as much as one of desperation
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3536
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Airbus A-350 is in serivce around the world.
Boeing B-787 is in service around the world.
Airbus A-350 order keeps getting deferred. Increasing the order while delaying deliveries kept a contract penalty from kicking in for the deferral.
Boeing B-787 keeps getting ordered and delivered.

A-350 might still happen, but events and actions are leaning towards a different outcome.
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Airbus A-350 is in serivce around the world.
Boeing B-787 is in service around the world.
Airbus A-350 order keeps getting deferred. Increasing the order while delaying deliveries kept a contract penalty from kicking in for the deferral.
Boeing B-787 keeps getting ordered and delivered.

A-350 might still happen, but events and actions are leaning towards a different outcome.

Indeed, I agree. But what outcomes are possible without said penalties being so kicked? :scratchchin: I can’t see much way a new Airbus product of some sort won’t be in UA colors.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm

iahcsr wrote:
But what outcomes are possible without said penalties being so kicked? :scratchchin: I can’t see much way a new Airbus product of some sort won’t be in UA colors.

45 A350-900 for 55 A321LR and 80 A220-100. :spin:
 
User avatar
CALTECH
Posts: 3536
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 4:21 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:05 pm

Could be a mix, or a completely different type. Could be they decide the A-350 is needed in the coming years. There is also the possibility of slots being sold, negating the penalty..
It is a fact that one aircraft type keeps getting ordered and another keeps getting deferred. Whether that means something, time will tell. Maybe they are waiting to see the fleet is working out before adding a whole new type and its associated support requirements.

Negotiations,
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:37 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
EChid wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

Why? Southwest has an all 737 fleet. Alaska did as well until it purchased Virgin America. Continental was successful with all Boeing. Others with all Airbus. It really comes down to which aircraft best suit your needs.


I don't think these are comparable examples. Southwest just isn't the same type of company/fleet, they have the same damn plane across their whole fleet. Same goes for Easyjet, Ryanair, etc. But while these companies are almost guaranteed to buy a certain plane - they'll do it in such massive quantities that they have negotiation power. Plus, they make up such large numbers for the manufacturer that the desire is high to keep them happy when developing new products - or else risk losing a HUGE customer. UA is buying fewer planes of one type but more planes of various types, which means they don't have as much negotiating power because they make smaller orders (witness this one). In that scenario, it's more within their interest play the two major manufacturers off of each other when deciding on a new type - even if the order is small. This means, naturally, that either can win.

Besides all that, what happened to loving the free market? This is already essentially a global duopoly. Why the heck would UA *NOT* want to do everything in its power to encourage competition, innovation, and aggressive pricing? It's not UA's job to prop up Boeing just 'cause.


United has orders of large numbers of planes. Most are from Boeing. Your comment "the same damn plane across their whole fleet" says it all. Your issue is not economics but ascetics. You want to see different aircraft. UAL had 161 737 Max s on order with seven delivered. This was a top off order and UAL still has 14 787-10 to be delivered and 12 787-9's. They are buying those planes because they need those planes. Although not followed as much today, it does cost more to operate multiple aircraft that do the same mission as each other. Manufactures do get played but it does not mean that airlines keep a few examples of every aircraft.


Nah, I have no issues with airlines operating the same airplane across their entire fleet. Those airlines are almost always the most profitable in the world, it's an excellent formula. But it's usually not a formula compatible with longhaul or non-LCC flying. I understand perfectly that UA still places large orders, and needs specific planes - the Dreamliner has been an excellent product for them and they clearly have additional need. Great. But I'm not sure why you're saying that UA shouldn't therefore buy another plane from another manufacturer - especially when that plane fulfills a different role. There is tremendous value in encouraging both major manufacturers to work hard for their sales, and that's how you do it. The only way of encouraging true competition though is by actually being willing to accept the best product/offer, no matter which company it comes from. That might mean an 80% Boeing / 20% Airbus fleet, but that's okay, since the airline already has to operate a wide variety of plane types and therefore doesn't suffer as much by adding another type as a company like Alaska would.
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:49 pm

jayunited wrote:
EChid wrote:
Actually, one source I've found seems to indicate they were converted to a mix of 739s and MAXs.

The 77Ws (at least some of them) got converted from the 78J order apparently, possibly because UA got tired of waiting for their Dreamliners and realized they could get a sweet deal on the 777s and get them delivered quickly OR because they just need the extra lift. Ack, this story his hard to track.



UA never intended to replace the entire 744 fleet with Dreamliners, originally UA wanted to replace the 744 fleet with A359s which was then changed to the A35J after the merger because A359 wasn't large enough to meet UA's needs especially out of SFO. On a side note how could UA get tired of waiting for an aircraft that didn't exist in 2015? The 78J which had officially been launch wasn't expected to be in service until 2018. The reason why UA order the original 10 77W's then topped off the order later was because UA wanted to accelerate the retirement of the 744 fleet. I believe (and I could be wrong) but I think Airbus tried again to get UA to take a hard look at the A380 and Boeing originally offer up the 748-i. Once current management made it clear they were not interested in 4 engine aircraft Airbus at that point had nothing to offer except the A35J, which UA couldn't get its hands on until late Q3 2018. This left the door wide open for Boeing and the 77W. Not only did Boeing supposedly offer UA an unbelievable deal but UA would have the the 77W in the fleet by the Q4 2016. I distinctly remember people asking how Boeing was able to guarantee UA a delivery slot so quickly in Q4 2016 when UA order the 77W in Q2 2015.
Boeing saw an opportunity to get the 77W in our fleet and took it in an effort to close the deal and perhaps block Airbus's A35J which we were supposed to start taking delivery of this year late 3rd quarter. United current management team got what they wanted the accelerated retirement of the 744 fleet. Boeing got what they wanted another 77W operator which extended the production line. So far it seem as though Boeing and United won and and which these additional orders for a total of 13 more 789 frames it seem as though Boeing isn't letting up while Airbus is sitting on the sidelines waiting for 2022 to arrive.

If I'm Airbus I would be desperately looking for any opening to get my A359 into UA's fleet as early as possible and stop these incremental Dreamliner orders.


I didn't infer that UA intended to replace 744s with Dreamliners, I meant that they identified that they had a higher need for 77Ws ASAP to replace the 744s and so chose to receive a plane type they could use more quickly while losing some of the type they were to receive later (i.e., now). According to one press release I found, some of their 78J order was therefore converted over to the 77Ws, since the delivery of the 78Js was still a fair way off and they could get some good deals on the 77Ws. When I said that UA got 'tired' of the waiting, I'm just referring to the immediacy of the 77W deliveries vs. the A350s/78Js AND all of the previous early challenges that Boeing had with delivering the other 787 types on time, even though I think that delivery timelines for the 78Js have been fine. As for the A350, the issue seems that this deal for the 77Ws clearly diminished the immediacy of the need for the A359/Js, which is presumably why we're seeing delays etc. and things are being questioned. I assume that the need still exists, and that we'll see them eventually, but that is TBD.

A UA A380 would have been interesting.
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:01 pm

adamblang wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
But what outcomes are possible without said penalties being so kicked? :scratchchin: I can’t see much way a new Airbus product of some sort won’t be in UA colors.

45 A350-900 for 55 A321LR and 80 A220-100. :spin:


Given UA's widespread use of the E175+ Embraers amongst their regional partners and large order for the MAX10, I think there is doubt that they would order either of those options.
 
User avatar
jetblastdubai
Posts: 2074
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:23 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:14 pm

EChid wrote:

Nah, I have no issues with airlines operating the same airplane across their entire fleet.


One Emergency AD could shut down your entire long-haul operation if all your 'eggs' were in one type A/C basket.

I personally don't see that the A359 adds much of anything unique to UAs fleet that a combination of the 787s can't match or almost match capacity/performance-wise. WN obviously has restrictions placed on it by having only one type but there are savings attached to those efficiencies as long as your markets support your fleet types. If you can't get into markets because your smallest plane is too large or you can't fly certain routes because your planes don't have the range then the single-type fleet has limitations.
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:25 pm

I’m still of the opinion there’s room for the 350 in United’s fleet to replace what many of the 777Es are doing today. I’ll conjecture here and say that I believe they originally intended the 350-1000s as the 744 replacement and the 350-900 as the 777e replacement, but got desperate to go sooner with retiring the 744 and could get their hands on the 777W sooner than the 350-1000s and at a good price, so went with the minimum necessary on the 777W orders to fill the 744 gap (I will bet they actually have need for a few more 777Ws but are being judicious in acquiring the min necessary because they are older technology). They pushed the 350 order and converted 1000s to 900s as the eventual 777E replacement, which probably works well from a timing perspective.

As others have said UA is a bit of a unique US carrier in that they have a fair number of thicker longer routes thst require both capacity and distance. The 789 has the distance, but not quite the capacity of the 777E and the 78J has the capacity but not the distance of the 777E
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:33 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
EChid wrote:

Nah, I have no issues with airlines operating the same airplane across their entire fleet.


One Emergency AD could shut down your entire long-haul operation if all your 'eggs' were in one type A/C basket.

I personally don't see that the A359 adds much of anything unique to UAs fleet that a combination of the 787s can't match or almost match capacity/performance-wise. WN obviously has restrictions placed on it by having only one type but there are savings attached to those efficiencies as long as your markets support your fleet types. If you can't get into markets because your smallest plane is too large or you can't fly certain routes because your planes don't have the range then the single-type fleet has limitations.


Oh boy, this is frustrating. Did I claim that airlines operating one type was the holy grail of operational strategies? No, in fact you specifically cut out the portion where I then argue for the necessity of a mixed fleets for longhaul full-service airlines. What I said is, quite simply, that where possible the single a/c type fleet strategy has consistently proven more profitable (see the profit margins of Easyjet, Ryanair, WN, Wizz, etc.). That doesn't mean everyone can do it, or that it has zero limitations. Your point about single-a/c longhaul fleets is also moot, since there are, to my knowledge, no longhaul-only airlines that operate just one a/c type.

Sorry, but I get frustrated when people don't read the thread and tell me I'm incorrectly anti-single aircraft fleets and then someone else tells me I'm incorrectly pro-single aircraft fleets. But, welcome to A.net I guess.

As for the A350, it can easily provide value if UA decides a) it needs more seats than the Dreamliner can provide and b) it needs the range. As I've said, UA is king amongst the legacy airlines in TPAC flying, so range is going to be key. I don't know if seats will be, but when UA decides that we'll see confirmation on the A350s.
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Moderator
Posts: 2393
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:38 pm

gwrudolph wrote:
I’ll conjecture here and say that I believe they originally intended the 350-1000s as the 744 replacement and the 350-900 as the 777e replacement


This isn't at all likely. First, they never had both types on order at the same time. The original order was for the A350-900, and was placed in 2009 (before the merger) when the first 77Es were only 12 years old and in no way close to needing replacement. News articles at the time specifically mentioned replacing the 747 with the A350.

A few years later (in 2013), the entire order was converted to the -1000, and increased from 25 to 35.
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1747
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:49 pm

Everyone's right. With 70+ 77A/E's, UA needs both the 40 359's they ordered and some mix of the 789/78J also. 40 359's for TPAC/India primarily which are needed later (aka why they delayed them) as many PMCO units are newer. 14 78J's for sure coming online. Then, 20++ 789/78J' for TATL routes (FRA/MUC/BRU/etc.) which may or may not have been the purpose of this order. With some of these for expansion, you could easily see 40 of each 359 and 789/78J to replace the 777's excluding the 77W which is way too long from now to forecast.

More importantly, we should see some 77E's come out of Polaris mod this month!!!
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
gwrudolph wrote:
I’ll conjecture here and say that I believe they originally intended the 350-1000s as the 744 replacement and the 350-900 as the 777e replacement


This isn't at all likely. First, they never had both types on order at the same time. The original order was for the A350-900, and was placed in 2009 (before the merger) when the first 77Es were only 12 years old and in no way close to needing replacement. News articles at the time specifically mentioned replacing the 747 with the A350.

A few years later (in 2013), the entire order was converted to the -1000, and increased from 25 to 35.


Fair enough. I forgot the original order was for 900s. Nevertheless, in the last few years, all were converted back to 900s when they deferred and increased the size of the order, right?

Perhaps I wasn’t clear, but the point is the original intention was mostly a 744 replacement, but they ended up retiring the 744s before the 350s were in the fleet. So, they acquired the minimum number of 777Ws (at s bargain) necesssrg to replace most of the 744s, shrunk the airbus order model to be right-sized for the 777E replacement, and pushed the order out to fit the 777E replacement timeframe.

I still contend that the 350-900 will will enter the fleet as the 777E replacement. UA’s route structure requires a fair number of birds capable of longer distances and heavier volumes. The 789 can go the distance, but is not quite as big as the 777E and the 78J has the size, but not the distance.
 
jayunited
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 pm

EChid wrote:
I didn't infer that UA intended to replace 744s with Dreamliners, I meant that they identified that they had a higher need for 77Ws ASAP to replace the 744s and so chose to receive a plane type they could use more quickly while losing some of the type they were to receive later (i.e., now). According to one press release I found, some of their 78J order was therefore converted over to the 77Ws, since the delivery of the 78Js was still a fair way off and they could get some good deals on the 77Ws. When I said that UA got 'tired' of the waiting, I'm just referring to the immediacy of the 77W deliveries vs. the A350s/78Js AND all of the previous early challenges that Boeing had with delivering the other 787 types on time, even though I think that delivery timelines for the 78Js have been fine. As for the A350, the issue seems that this deal for the 77Ws clearly diminished the immediacy of the need for the A359/Js, which is presumably why we're seeing delays etc. and things are being questioned. I assume that the need still exists, and that we'll see them eventually, but that is TBD.

A UA A380 would have been interesting.


Think back on the entire event UA originally was supposed to start taking delivery of A359's in 2016 but when the order was changed to the A35J the delivery dates were pushed back to Q3 2018. I wonder when it became clear UA wanted to retire the 744's earlier than expected if Airbus would have offered the A359 as a stop gap just until the A35J arrival with guaranteed delivery dates to begin in Q4 2016 I wonder if UA would have gone for that. Instead Airbus wanted to get at least one of the US3 to order their A380 and when that failed Boeing jumped all over the opportunity. Think about it UA in 2015 converted 10 78J's to 77W's fast forward to today and although UA hasn't topped off the 78J order we have order 13 additional 789's. Which for the entire 787 order and fleet means UA now has a surplus of 3 extra frames on order today v.s. 2015 and also in a few weeks will have a total of 18 77W's in the fleet which were not on the order books at the beginning of 2015.
Once UA's plans for the 744 fleet became clear if Boeing was the architect of whats taken place so far it was a very smart move. They haven't lost any orders, in fact quite the opposite has happened and United couldn't be happier. While Airbus technically hasn't lost any UA orders either its not looking good for them. I really feel if Airbus wants to get new (not used) new aircraft into the United's fleet their sales team is going to have to get creative. I just don't see Boeing taking a back seat and allowing United to take delivery of the A359 with taking some type of counter measures. I think Boeing even now is thinking of ways to keep new Airbus aircraft especially the A359 out of United's fleet and Airbus needs to be doing the same and somehow make the A359 more appealing to UA.
Last edited by jayunited on Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
snuggs28
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:20 pm

A couple of things that a lot of you have gotten slightly to all wrong.

The 789 is partially replacement and growth aircraft. The last 9 orders are actual 763 replacements. The 91 to 93 763 builds are getting long in the tooth and are close to their lifetime end. A couple of them are already over the 110 thousand hour mark. Hence the reason those airplanes will not be getting Prem Plus added. And the reason why we bought the 3 Ex Hawaiian birds.

The A350-9 to -1000 to -9 orders is a little bit more involved. One the A350-1000 and the 77W are basically the same aircraft. Once we went with the 77W. It made no sense to have 2 different type aircraft do the same flying. Costs are a factor here. While the A359's are basically the same as a 772. This order is a direct replacement for the 772's.

The reason why the A350 orders are still on the books. The Rolls Royce Engine contract. We have to pay them regardless if we cancel the order or not. This is all do the original order placed by Sub UA Mgmt prior to the UA/CO Merger. No one then had the foresight to see what would happen. It's basically a poison pill contract.
 
gwrudolph
Posts: 581
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:27 pm

snuggs28 wrote:
A couple of things that a lot of you have gotten slightly to all wrong.

The 789 is partially replacement and growth aircraft. The last 9 orders are actual 763 replacements. The 91 to 93 763 builds are getting long in the tooth and are close to their lifetime end. A couple of them are already over the 110 thousand hour mark. Hence the reason those airplanes will not be getting Prem Plus added. And the reason why we bought the 3 Ex Hawaiian birds.

The A350-9 to -1000 to -9 orders is a little bit more involved. One the A350-1000 and the 77W are basically the same aircraft. Once we went with the 77W. It made no sense to have 2 different type aircraft do the same flying. Costs are a factor here. While the A359's are basically the same as a 772. This order is a direct replacement for the 772's.

The reason why the A350 orders are still on the books. The Rolls Royce Engine contract. We have to pay them regardless if we cancel the order or not. This is all do the original order placed by Sub UA Mgmt prior to the UA/CO Merger. No one then had the foresight to see what would happen. It's basically a poison pill contract.


So it sounds like unless you find someone to assume the RR contract (good luck) or strike some other deal with RR, the 350s are coming eventually and they make sense as a one/one replacement of the 777Es
 
Bald1983
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:44 pm

EChid wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
EChid wrote:

I don't think these are comparable examples. Southwest just isn't the same type of company/fleet, they have the same damn plane across their whole fleet. Same goes for Easyjet, Ryanair, etc. But while these companies are almost guaranteed to buy a certain plane - they'll do it in such massive quantities that they have negotiation power. Plus, they make up such large numbers for the manufacturer that the desire is high to keep them happy when developing new products - or else risk losing a HUGE customer. UA is buying fewer planes of one type but more planes of various types, which means they don't have as much negotiating power because they make smaller orders (witness this one). In that scenario, it's more within their interest play the two major manufacturers off of each other when deciding on a new type - even if the order is small. This means, naturally, that either can win.

Besides all that, what happened to loving the free market? This is already essentially a global duopoly. Why the heck would UA *NOT* want to do everything in its power to encourage competition, innovation, and aggressive pricing? It's not UA's job to prop up Boeing just 'cause.


United has orders of large numbers of planes. Most are from Boeing. Your comment "the same damn plane across their whole fleet" says it all. Your issue is not economics but ascetics. You want to see different aircraft. UAL had 161 737 Max s on order with seven delivered. This was a top off order and UAL still has 14 787-10 to be delivered and 12 787-9's. They are buying those planes because they need those planes. Although not followed as much today, it does cost more to operate multiple aircraft that do the same mission as each other. Manufactures do get played but it does not mean that airlines keep a few examples of every aircraft.



Nah, I have no issues with airlines operating the same airplane across their entire fleet. Those airlines are almost always the most profitable in the world, it's an excellent formula. But it's usually not a formula compatible with longhaul or non-LCC flying. I understand perfectly that UA still places large orders, and needs specific planes - the Dreamliner has been an excellent product for them and they clearly have additional need. Great. But I'm not sure why you're saying that UA shouldn't therefore buy another plane from another manufacturer - especially when that plane fulfills a different role. There is tremendous value in encouraging both major manufacturers to work hard for their sales, and that's how you do it. The only way of encouraging true competition though is by actually being willing to accept the best product/offer, no matter which company it comes from. That might mean an 80% Boeing / 20% Airbus fleet, but that's okay, since the airline already has to operate a wide variety of plane types and therefore doesn't suffer as much by adding another type as a company like Alaska would.


United does not restrict with whom who they speak. What they will not do or any successful airline is to buy planes from a manufacturer simply to have a variety and keep the producers happy. You encourage the aircraft manufacturers to compete by allowing them to pitch their product and choosing what is best for your company. Almost all airlines do precisely that. For some Boeing products are a better fit, for some Airbus, for others, mixed. Your whole point starts off on a false premise that most major airlines will only speak with one provider. That is false, except for airlines that only need one type of aircraft, which you admit tend to be very successful operations.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:03 am

Any chance United can sell their a350 delivery slots to other airlines? Or lease them out?
 
ewt340
Posts: 1475
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:22 am

For now, there's a big possibility that UA gonna stick with A350-900. In terms of capacity they can't replace 10-abreast B777-200ER with B787-9 unless they are cutting back capacity (31 seat difference in the same polaris configurations). And B787-10 can't do flights to East Asia, Singapore or India.

Also, they operate 55 B777-200ER, not including 19 B777-200. I don't see how replacing it with 55 A350-900 wouldn't be beneficial for them. They could also opted A350-900Regional for B777-200 replacement. Surely Airbus would give them some helping hand in form of massive discount.

It also appear that United still keeping their A319/A320. So big chuncks of their pilot wouldn't have to go through extensive training regarding cross Airbus operation.
 
CX747
Posts: 6703
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 am

Congratulations to Boeing and United. May the new 787s find their way onto the routes I fly out of homebase EWR. It is indeed nice to see the 787 available on not one but two domestic legs for a while.
 
User avatar
CassidysVacay
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 am

I'll be there to capture all the CHS built frames!
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Posts: 2125
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:29 am

codc10 wrote:
727200 wrote:
No, this is how co operates. UA didn't order piecemeal, instead they made large order announcements.


UA makes orders for airplanes it can finance, to operate where it has the demand. This is in contrast to massive, costly orders which end up as albatrosses when the economy turns south and the company doesn't have enough profitable flying to deploy them and generate a ROI.

Gigantic 747/777 orders in the 90s (and the accompanying boatload of debt) were just one of a number of factors which directly led to the company's bankruptcy in 2002, wiping out tens of thousands of retirements, career prospects and billions in shareholder value. Only now is the company finally recovering.

Fortunately, this is a much more responsibly-run airline today.


All of the arguments for small, bite sized orders make sense. But I was under the impression that larger orders got a larger discount. I wonder how much more UA had to pay to order in smaller increments.
 
LAXLHR
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:07 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:32 am

DL757NYC wrote:
Isn’t the 789 a little too much airplane for a 767 replacement.


They have 788's which they can move into the replacement role ;-) Plus with an increasing global population.......
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5292
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:35 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Any chance United can sell their a350 delivery slots to other airlines? Or lease them out?


history says, yes, well not other airlines, but other OEMs

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-chin ... 1F20120501

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e15884760/
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:24 am

Bald1983 wrote:
EChid wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

United has orders of large numbers of planes. Most are from Boeing. Your comment "the same damn plane across their whole fleet" says it all. Your issue is not economics but ascetics. You want to see different aircraft. UAL had 161 737 Max s on order with seven delivered. This was a top off order and UAL still has 14 787-10 to be delivered and 12 787-9's. They are buying those planes because they need those planes. Although not followed as much today, it does cost more to operate multiple aircraft that do the same mission as each other. Manufactures do get played but it does not mean that airlines keep a few examples of every aircraft.



Nah, I have no issues with airlines operating the same airplane across their entire fleet. Those airlines are almost always the most profitable in the world, it's an excellent formula. But it's usually not a formula compatible with longhaul or non-LCC flying. I understand perfectly that UA still places large orders, and needs specific planes - the Dreamliner has been an excellent product for them and they clearly have additional need. Great. But I'm not sure why you're saying that UA shouldn't therefore buy another plane from another manufacturer - especially when that plane fulfills a different role. There is tremendous value in encouraging both major manufacturers to work hard for their sales, and that's how you do it. The only way of encouraging true competition though is by actually being willing to accept the best product/offer, no matter which company it comes from. That might mean an 80% Boeing / 20% Airbus fleet, but that's okay, since the airline already has to operate a wide variety of plane types and therefore doesn't suffer as much by adding another type as a company like Alaska would.


United does not restrict with whom who they speak. What they will not do or any successful airline is to buy planes from a manufacturer simply to have a variety and keep the producers happy. You encourage the aircraft manufacturers to compete by allowing them to pitch their product and choosing what is best for your company. Almost all airlines do precisely that. For some Boeing products are a better fit, for some Airbus, for others, mixed. Your whole point starts off on a false premise that most major airlines will only speak with one provider. That is false, except for airlines that only need one type of aircraft, which you admit tend to be very successful operations.


Who are you speaking to here? Because your point is almost exactly the point I was making in the posts you quoted...
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 am

jayunited wrote:
EChid wrote:
I didn't infer that UA intended to replace 744s with Dreamliners, I meant that they identified that they had a higher need for 77Ws ASAP to replace the 744s and so chose to receive a plane type they could use more quickly while losing some of the type they were to receive later (i.e., now). According to one press release I found, some of their 78J order was therefore converted over to the 77Ws, since the delivery of the 78Js was still a fair way off and they could get some good deals on the 77Ws. When I said that UA got 'tired' of the waiting, I'm just referring to the immediacy of the 77W deliveries vs. the A350s/78Js AND all of the previous early challenges that Boeing had with delivering the other 787 types on time, even though I think that delivery timelines for the 78Js have been fine. As for the A350, the issue seems that this deal for the 77Ws clearly diminished the immediacy of the need for the A359/Js, which is presumably why we're seeing delays etc. and things are being questioned. I assume that the need still exists, and that we'll see them eventually, but that is TBD.

A UA A380 would have been interesting.


Think back on the entire event UA originally was supposed to start taking delivery of A359's in 2016 but when the order was changed to the A35J the delivery dates were pushed back to Q3 2018. I wonder when it became clear UA wanted to retire the 744's earlier than expected if Airbus would have offered the A359 as a stop gap just until the A35J arrival with guaranteed delivery dates to begin in Q4 2016 I wonder if UA would have gone for that. Instead Airbus wanted to get at least one of the US3 to order their A380 and when that failed Boeing jumped all over the opportunity. Think about it UA in 2015 converted 10 78J's to 77W's fast forward to today and although UA hasn't topped off the 78J order we have order 13 additional 789's. Which for the entire 787 order and fleet means UA now has a surplus of 3 extra frames on order today v.s. 2015 and also in a few weeks will have a total of 18 77W's in the fleet which were not on the order books at the beginning of 2015.
Once UA's plans for the 744 fleet became clear if Boeing was the architect of whats taken place so far it was a very smart move. They haven't lost any orders, in fact quite the opposite has happened and United couldn't be happier. While Airbus technically hasn't lost any UA orders either its not looking good for them. I really feel if Airbus wants to get new (not used) new aircraft into the United's fleet their sales team is going to have to get creative. I just don't see Boeing taking a back seat and allowing United to take delivery of the A359 with taking some type of counter measures. I think Boeing even now is thinking of ways to keep new Airbus aircraft especially the A359 out of United's fleet and Airbus needs to be doing the same and somehow make the A359 more appealing to UA.


Very interesting, makes a lot of sense. Essentially Airbus missed out because it was a few years away from being at the beginning of a manufacturing cycle while Boeing was at the end. Timing and price.

The info about the RR engine contract that snuggs discusses makes it sound like Airbus has an ace up its sleeve. And there ARE a lot of 772s to replace.
 
SFOtoORD
Posts: 1288
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:26 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:49 am

kitplane01 wrote:
codc10 wrote:
727200 wrote:
No, this is how co operates. UA didn't order piecemeal, instead they made large order announcements.


UA makes orders for airplanes it can finance, to operate where it has the demand. This is in contrast to massive, costly orders which end up as albatrosses when the economy turns south and the company doesn't have enough profitable flying to deploy them and generate a ROI.

Gigantic 747/777 orders in the 90s (and the accompanying boatload of debt) were just one of a number of factors which directly led to the company's bankruptcy in 2002, wiping out tens of thousands of retirements, career prospects and billions in shareholder value. Only now is the company finally recovering.

Fortunately, this is a much more responsibly-run airline today.


All of the arguments for small, bite sized orders make sense. But I was under the impression that larger orders got a larger discount. I wonder how much more UA had to pay to order in smaller increments.


Given multiple previous 787 orders perhaps they already have good pricing.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:36 am

kitplane01 wrote:
All of the arguments for small, bite sized orders make sense. But I was under the impression that larger orders got a larger discount. I wonder how much more UA had to pay to order in smaller increments.

I'm speculating way outside my actual knowledge here but I thought options locked in the "large order" negotiated price. By converting a small number of options to firm orders they're getting 'em at the low price.
 
Max Q
Posts: 9126
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:04 am

The 77W aircraft are basically brand new, no reason to think UA
will replace them for at least 20 years


By then the 77-8 and -9 will be well
proven and a known quantity, one or both of these models would make a great replacement for the 77W on the heaviest routes with a bit more capacity and range


In the meantime the A359 makes an
ideal 77E replacement


The order for 45 will allow the oldest P&W triples to be retired
With incremental orders eventually
replacing the entire fleet


That leaves a replacement for the 77A open, the A359 is far too much aircraft for that role and this is where the shorter range fairly small fleet of 787-10 would be ideal


In a dense configuration they could
accommodate at least as many seats and would still be more efficient on these shorter routes
 
716131
Posts: 892
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:51 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:04 am

Will the new 787-9 order could cancel their A350 order soon?
Last edited by 716131 on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Jomar777
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:45 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:05 am

jayunited wrote:
EChid wrote:
Actually, one source I've found seems to indicate they were converted to a mix of 739s and MAXs.

The 77Ws (at least some of them) got converted from the 78J order apparently, possibly because UA got tired of waiting for their Dreamliners and realized they could get a sweet deal on the 777s and get them delivered quickly OR because they just need the extra lift. Ack, this story his hard to track.



UA never intended to replace the entire 744 fleet with Dreamliners, originally UA wanted to replace the 744 fleet with A359s which was then changed to the A35J after the merger because A359 wasn't large enough to meet UA's needs especially out of SFO. On a side note how could UA get tired of waiting for an aircraft that didn't exist in 2015? The 78J which had officially been launch wasn't expected to be in service until 2018. The reason why UA order the original 10 77W's then topped off the order later was because UA wanted to accelerate the retirement of the 744 fleet. I believe (and I could be wrong) but I think Airbus tried again to get UA to take a hard look at the A380 and Boeing originally offer up the 748-i. Once current management made it clear they were not interested in 4 engine aircraft Airbus at that point had nothing to offer except the A35J, which UA couldn't get its hands on until late Q3 2018. This left the door wide open for Boeing and the 77W. Not only did Boeing supposedly offer UA an unbelievable deal but UA would have the the 77W in the fleet by the Q4 2016. I distinctly remember people asking how Boeing was able to guarantee UA a delivery slot so quickly in Q4 2016 when UA order the 77W in Q2 2015.
Boeing saw an opportunity to get the 77W in our fleet and took it in an effort to close the deal and perhaps block Airbus's A35J which we were supposed to start taking delivery of this year late 3rd quarter. United current management team got what they wanted the accelerated retirement of the 744 fleet. Boeing got what they wanted another 77W operator which extended the production line. So far it seem as though Boeing and United won and and which these additional orders for a total of 13 more 789 frames it seem as though Boeing isn't letting up while Airbus is sitting on the sidelines waiting for 2022 to arrive.

If I'm Airbus I would be desperately looking for any opening to get my A359 into UA's fleet as early as possible and stop these incremental Dreamliner orders.


Brilliant point! And I go further - if this continues, by 2022 that Airbus order will be certainly gone. This order keeps being postponed and United keeps ordering B787s. By next year, loads of parallel things will happen in the market, between then, the tie up between Boeing and Embraer which will potentially polarize the market with Boeing aiming to contra Jet Blues move to go all Airbus with the demise of their E190s. This may see UA being heavily involved on the MOM 797, and starting potentially planning to start replacing any ageing Airbus A319/A320 with whatever Boeing/Embraer can throw at them.

By then, if United keeps on adding B787s to their fleet, you will see the A350 order in the bin. You may even wonder if, by any small chance, that may also result on a B777X order too.

I think we will see, anyhow, United moving towards an All Boeing Fleet.
 
VC10er
Posts: 4327
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:25 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:16 am

How many years (in general) will the Polaris refurbished 772’s last until they “must” be replaced? I have to assume plenty of years because those entirely refurbished ac’s must have cost a fortune in CapEx and the UA will need the ROI on them.
Unless (and I’m way outside my depth here) the new seats on the renovated 772’s can be moved to the A350?
It seems like from my novice POV, if the hands of time could be swept WAY back, today’s UA management would have preferred to have a large flexible fleet of 788, 789 & 78J and then move to 77X.
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:41 am

VC10er wrote:
How many years (in general) will the Polaris refurbished 772’s last until they “must” be replaced? I have to assume plenty of years because those entirely refurbished ac’s must have cost a fortune in CapEx and the UA will need the ROI on them.
Unless (and I’m way outside my depth here) the new seats on the renovated 772’s can be moved to the A350?
It seems like from my novice POV, if the hands of time could be swept WAY back, today’s UA management would have preferred to have a large flexible fleet of 788, 789 & 78J and then move to 77X.


Keep in mind that the 77X is larger than their current 777s, so if UA went with them they would be committing to a sizeable increase in seats at a time when most airlines are choosing to limit seat growth. Also keep in mind that UA hasn't planned for deliveries of the A359 until something like 2022 through 2027...so some of their 772s will be in the sky until at least that time. Those new seats were necessary to make them last as long as they'll need to.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 27048
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:51 am

EChid wrote:
Keep in mind that the 77X is larger than their current 777s, so if UA went with them they would be committing to a sizeable increase in seats at a time when most airlines are choosing to limit seat growth.

Actually the 778 has grown to be 77W size minus one row of Y and 779 is only three Y rows longer than 77W, so UA has different future options depending on how much they value capacity.
 
brindabella
Posts: 746
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:38 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:15 pm

snuggs28 wrote:
A couple of things that a lot of you have gotten slightly to all wrong.

The 789 is partially replacement and growth aircraft. The last 9 orders are actual 763 replacements. The 91 to 93 763 builds are getting long in the tooth and are close to their lifetime end. A couple of them are already over the 110 thousand hour mark. Hence the reason those airplanes will not be getting Prem Plus added. And the reason why we bought the 3 Ex Hawaiian birds.

The A350-9 to -1000 to -9 orders is a little bit more involved. One the A350-1000 and the 77W are basically the same aircraft. Once we went with the 77W. It made no sense to have 2 different type aircraft do the same flying. Costs are a factor here. While the A359's are basically the same as a 772. This order is a direct replacement for the 772's.

The reason why the A350 orders are still on the books. The Rolls Royce Engine contract. We have to pay them regardless if we cancel the order or not. This is all do the original order placed by Sub UA Mgmt prior to the UA/CO Merger. No one then had the foresight to see what would happen. It's basically a poison pill contract.


Interesting order so interesting thread.

Eliciting a fascinating post!

Reading along I infer that some of the seemingly erratic UA behaviour flowed from the decision to retire the 744s much earlier
And the 777W buy was a shoo.-in, so messing-up the established A350-1000 strategy, etc etc etc.


But now:
1) the converted A350 order so ended-up at 45 A350-900, and yet
2) UA is continuing to order the 789.

Your point may unlock a big part of the mystery,

How about the 797 has 2 engine choices (as I expect it will) and
How about if one of those choices is the RR Ultrafan (which also wouldn't surprise me one little bit).
So now imagine a call from UA to RR along the lines of ...
(well, I am sure that everyone can fill in the blanks just fine without me spelling it out! :D ).

cheers
 
Bald1983
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:28 pm

EChid wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
EChid wrote:


Nah, I have no issues with airlines operating the same airplane across their entire fleet. Those airlines are almost always the most profitable in the world, it's an excellent formula. But it's usually not a formula compatible with longhaul or non-LCC flying. I understand perfectly that UA still places large orders, and needs specific planes - the Dreamliner has been an excellent product for them and they clearly have additional need. Great. But I'm not sure why you're saying that UA shouldn't therefore buy another plane from another manufacturer - especially when that plane fulfills a different role. There is tremendous value in encouraging both major manufacturers to work hard for their sales, and that's how you do it. The only way of encouraging true competition though is by actually being willing to accept the best product/offer, no matter which company it comes from. That might mean an 80% Boeing / 20% Airbus fleet, but that's okay, since the airline already has to operate a wide variety of plane types and therefore doesn't suffer as much by adding another type as a company like Alaska would.


United does not restrict with whom who they speak. What they will not do or any successful airline is to buy planes from a manufacturer simply to have a variety and keep the producers happy. You encourage the aircraft manufacturers to compete by allowing them to pitch their product and choosing what is best for your company. Almost all airlines do precisely that. For some Boeing products are a better fit, for some Airbus, for others, mixed. Your whole point starts off on a false premise that most major airlines will only speak with one provider. That is false, except for airlines that only need one type of aircraft, which you admit tend to be very successful operations.


Who are you speaking to here? Because your point is almost exactly the point I was making in the posts you quoted...


NO, you were lamenting that airlines often seem to focus on one manufacturer and they should order from multiple. My point is that airlines, for the most part, focus on obtaining the best deals to get the planes that they need. Generally, having multiple types to do the same mission is not cost effective.
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Bald1983 wrote:
EChid wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:

United does not restrict with whom who they speak. What they will not do or any successful airline is to buy planes from a manufacturer simply to have a variety and keep the producers happy. You encourage the aircraft manufacturers to compete by allowing them to pitch their product and choosing what is best for your company. Almost all airlines do precisely that. For some Boeing products are a better fit, for some Airbus, for others, mixed. Your whole point starts off on a false premise that most major airlines will only speak with one provider. That is false, except for airlines that only need one type of aircraft, which you admit tend to be very successful operations.


Who are you speaking to here? Because your point is almost exactly the point I was making in the posts you quoted...


NO, you were lamenting that airlines often seem to focus on one manufacturer and they should order from multiple. My point is that airlines, for the most part, focus on obtaining the best deals to get the planes that they need. Generally, having multiple types to do the same mission is not cost effective.


Read again. I wasn't lamenting any single approach, but saying that each approach had value depending on the type of airline. WN wouldn't work like it does without their approach, just as UA would not be the airline they are without multiple plane types and a willingness to accept types from more than one manufacturer (even if they end up choosing one more often based on price, shared efficiencies between models, etc.). I was responding, originally, to someone who seemed overly tied to the idea of UA being an all-Boeing airline. My point is and was that, unless there is financial gain for them, there is no point in UA focussing on being an all-Boeing company. That concept, alone, is not reason for UA to not take the A350. There has be a financial purpose behind it.
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:23 pm

CassidysVacay wrote:
I'll be there to capture all the CHS built frames!

N17002 rolled out a few days ago... presume it’s in the paint hanger atm.
 
User avatar
adamblang
Posts: 1474
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:28 pm

SQ789 wrote:
Will the new 787-9 order could cancel their A350 order soon?

Half the thread above your comment is discussing that question...
 
RobertPhoenix
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:36 pm

I wonder how much leverage the A350 order provides to UA. Does that allow them to get better pricing from Boeing on new 787 orders ? Once they cancel the A350 order, Boeing will have the upper hand.

Since the A350 order is old, one might assume it was at advantageous pricing, just like the early 787 orders got very good pricing. Pricing which I guess is very different to a new order today.
 
Aic97
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:13 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:02 pm

What routes will the 787's be used on?
 
bbowma77
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:15 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:10 pm

Seems like an all 787 and 777 wide body fleet has a lot of advantages for an airline that needs needs different capacity planes for different routes, you can cover 220-400 seats with the same type rating. I wonder about Deltas fleet once the 767,s are gone (and the 747 already gone) they will basically have an all 300ish seat wide body fleet, and i don't know if either the a330 or a350 could be considered a good long and thin aircraft.
 
User avatar
kordcj
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:13 pm

Aic97 wrote:
What routes will the 787's be used on?

This is what I've been wondering. Since most of the 787s are based at SFO, could we see a small expansion to some additional European cities?
 
smartplane
Posts: 1768
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:23 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:27 pm

Unbundling air frames and engines was all the fashion, until 787 and A380 delays, which saw customers paying for engines, when aircraft weren't available. Now the position has reversed, with 737, 787 and A320NEO engines delayed, but air frames ready.

Financiers that fund aircraft (cash and/or issue guarantees) to delivery have raised margins and charges, reflecting the current unpredictability. In some cases, these charges are being met by air frame OEM's, either directly, or in the form of air frame payment holidays.

A & B want greater control and influence over engine OEM's. Customers want them to have less (until orders go pear-shaped).

Currently, some engine deliveries are behind volume guarantees, and others because of technical issues. Engine OEM's are also playing hardball, delaying air frame orders going unconditional.

Global engine OEM rationalisation is overdue. Will rationalisation occur before or after A & B make strategic acquisitions? Could conditional EK orders, and the UA engine order, plus others, be the catalyst for change?
 
Bald1983
Posts: 624
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:23 am

EChid wrote:
Bald1983 wrote:
EChid wrote:

Who are you speaking to here? Because your point is almost exactly the point I was making in the posts you quoted...


NO, you were lamenting that airlines often seem to focus on one manufacturer and they should order from multiple. My point is that airlines, for the most part, focus on obtaining the best deals to get the planes that they need. Generally, having multiple types to do the same mission is not cost effective.


Read again. I wasn't lamenting any single approach, but saying that each approach had value depending on the type of airline. WN wouldn't work like it does without their approach, just as UA would not be the airline they are without multiple plane types and a willingness to accept types from more than one manufacturer (even if they end up choosing one more often based on price, shared efficiencies between models, etc.). I was responding, originally, to someone who seemed overly tied to the idea of UA being an all-Boeing airline. My point is and was that, unless there is financial gain for them, there is no point in UA focussing on being an all-Boeing company. That concept, alone, is not reason for UA to not take the A350. There has be a financial purpose behind it.


Better things to do. I read your original post, rejected your original post and you are evolving and making sure you get the last word.
 
CONTACREW
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:55 am

It wouldn't surprise me if we cancel the A350 orders and just go with all Boeing for the international fleet. It would surprise me if we do take delivery of the A350s.
 
iahcsr
Posts: 4777
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 1999 2:59 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:22 am

CONTACREW wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if we cancel the A350 orders and just go with all Boeing for the international fleet. It would surprise me if we do take delivery of the A350s.

Anyone know what the penalty costs will be if that’s the ultimate decision? :scratchchin: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :eyepopping: :faint:
 
EChid
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:00 am

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:28 am

iahcsr wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if we cancel the A350 orders and just go with all Boeing for the international fleet. It would surprise me if we do take delivery of the A350s.

Anyone know what the penalty costs will be if that’s the ultimate decision? :scratchchin: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :eyepopping: :faint:


Well, as was mentioned, they'd have to deal with the massive cancellation costs of the contract with Rolls-Royce and, as someone else mentioned, usually the cost of cancelling a purchase contract increases when it's renegotiated (which it has been once already with Airbus) so - high, since the cancellation would be for two separate agreements. I'm not sure anybody but those party to the actual contracts would know the dollar value, but I could be wrong..
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: United Airlines orders 9 787-9's

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:39 am

EChid wrote:
iahcsr wrote:
CONTACREW wrote:
It wouldn't surprise me if we cancel the A350 orders and just go with all Boeing for the international fleet. It would surprise me if we do take delivery of the A350s.

Anyone know what the penalty costs will be if that’s the ultimate decision? :scratchchin: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :dollarsign: :eyepopping: :faint:


Well, as was mentioned, they'd have to deal with the massive cancellation costs of the contract with Rolls-Royce and, as someone else mentioned, usually the cost of cancelling a purchase contract increases when it's renegotiated (which it has been once already with Airbus) so - high, since the cancellation would be for two separate agreements. I'm not sure anybody but those party to the actual contracts would know the dollar value, but I could be wrong..

I am fairly certain that Rolls Royce will let them out of the A350 with commitments to use their engine type on another order....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos