Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

silverfox
Topic Author

Hiring an aircraft

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Not sure if correct forum

Hypothetical case

Want to go to from LHR to ,lets say Madrid, to see a football game. all flights that would be suitable, out day of game/back next day..fully booked

IF a full load could be guaranteed, how much would it cost to hire an aircraft to do the trip if one was spare

Would the cast per person, be more of less than a normal return fare, or would the airline cost it to the normal fare? plus would a commercial airline consider it? say BA. I know they used to do day trips organised by travel agents for Concorde

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Hiring an aircraft

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:01 pm

How many people—an airliner or a bizjet? A 8-passenger Challenger would cost about $5,000 per hour plus crew and ground expenses.

An airline would charge charter rates which, I’d guess would equate to a bit more than airfare IF you filled it. US carriers do charters often enough that’s integral to the business but usually costly.

GF

citationjet

Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Not sure about your particular situation, but my wife got a quote to charter a Southwest 737 from ICT to PHX, a distance of 870 statute miles. Flying time is 2 hours 15 minutes each way. I believe the total cost was about US$750 per person round trip. That was higher than the typical fare for the route. She found it was cheaper to buy all the seats on a regular scheduled Southwest flight on the day that the seats went into inventory for sale. This ended up being cheaper than the cost of the charter quote by about US$50,000.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

RushmoreAir

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:23 am

citationjet wrote:
Not sure about your particular situation, but my wife got a quote to charter a Southwest 737 from ICT to PHX, a distance of 870 statute miles. Flying time is 2 hours 15 minutes each way. I believe the total cost was about US$750 per person round trip. That was higher than the typical fare for the route. She found it was cheaper to buy all the seats on a regular scheduled Southwest flight on the day that the seats went into inventory for sale. This ended up being cheaper than the cost of the charter quote by about US$50,000.

Yes, a charter with a major airline will usually be more expensive than just buying all the seats on a scheduled flight, since one-off charters will require:

1. Aircraft to be re-flowed for the day if not outright ferried into position (costing $$$), and will likely result in lower aircraft utilization (again, $$)
  2. More crew than planned to be in the regular schedule, and crew layovers/routing might be quite inefficient
  3. On longer flights, other details like catering and ground handling still cost extra planning time and possibly manpower
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

zeke

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:25 am

You could set yourself up as a tour operator LLC fairly cheaply and then engage someone like Titan Airways out of STN. http://www.titan-airways.com/services/c ... ators.html

STN, leave early morning to TOJ, depart TOJ 12 hrs after landing so the crew can have a mandatory rest. Single day charter, I think you should be able to get their 180 seat A320 around £300 return per person. 218 seat A321 might be around £40 cheaper per person.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

mwhcvt

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 am

I’ve often pondered these costs, mainly as many years ago my uncle chartered a BA BAC1-11 on Boxing Day to fly a large number of friends and family from BHX out to I think GVA from memory I was only 7 or 8 at the time of trip it was to celebrate his wife’s 40th with a meal at a very nice restaurant on the shores of lake Geneva

In relation to the OP I think the clubs will often have agents who handle charter flights, as with pretty much any internationalal match, look at the local airport to the match on the day of the match and you’ll often see multiple aircraft positioning in and out quite often wide bodies like WAMOS A330 or B747 same from the other AMCI operators so it is probably worth talking to your club, they will do it on a regular basic and likely get better rates otherwise your looking at a massive fiscal risk, logistical and administrative nightmare that should only be undertaking by professionals
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

PatrickZ80

Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:57 am

This has actually been done, in fact twice for the same football match.

In Dutch: https://www.parool.nl/sport/twee-ajaxfa ... ~a4495328/

According to this article, two Ajax supporters both hired an aircraft for the Europe League finals in Stockholm in may 2017 against Manchester United. It was not easy for them to find an airline that wanted to operate the flight, but still they both succeeded. Each of them had a full plane flying Amsterdam - Stockholm.

seb76

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:53 am

I remember that some 10 years ago, my company (in IT industry) wanted to send 15 of our best customers to Hannover (DE) to visit our stand at the CEBIT (the largest IT fair in Europe).
For all the duration of the fair, Lufthansa charged absolutely crazy rates for most of their flights to Hannover as they knew they could easily fill them anyway. Hiring a private jet turned out to be the cheapest solution in that case (on top of being more convenient and classy ;-) ). So, yes, the cost per seat was definitely higher than the usual BRU-HAJ ticket any other day of the year, but when you have big sport events or fairs going on in a city, the Airlines also know very well how to maximize their revenues during those dates...

TC957

Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:26 am

Professional air charter companies can source pretty much any aircraft needed for specific individual charters and will do all the necessary administration work that goes with it. I would tell you the company names but I don't think a-net rules would allow me to as it might be considered advertising.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos