Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Samrnpage
Topic Author
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Rzeszów to Newark

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 pm

How does the Rzeszow to Newark flight do for LOT? is it profitable?

Also must be the smallest airport in Europe to have a transatlantic flight? 600k pax a year it serves.
 
a350lover
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:21 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Just one weekly flight on Mondays.... what are the routings like for this trip leg?
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 5640
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:35 pm

What’s the story behind this flight?

GF
 
FSDan
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:44 pm

a350lover wrote:
Just one weekly flight on Mondays.... what are the routings like for this trip leg?


WAW-EWR-RZE-EWR-WAW
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14426
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What’s the story behind this flight?

GF


VFR. Lots of Polish-Americans from Podkarpackie.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
asuflyer
Posts: 541
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:48 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:57 pm

LO flew this back in the 2000's, I believe it came back again last summer. They have also done JFK-RZE, JFK-KRK, ORD-RZE in the past. There are two reasons for this flight, VFR, and aviation business ties. NYC/NJ has a large Polish community in Bayonne and Greenpoint. Additionally, the area is a center for aircraft engine and parts manufacturing, Pratt and Whitney and Safran have factories there. The blades for the CFM Leap Engine, the APU on the 787, and parts of the 737 landing gear are all made in areas surrounding Rzeszow.
 
Samrnpage
Topic Author
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:20 am

Incredible to think that this flight works from such a small airport. Maybe the 737-8MAX could pick the flight up soon?
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Posts: 3533
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:54 am

Samrnpage wrote:
Incredible to think that this flight works from such a small airport. Maybe the 737-8MAX could pick the flight up soon?


Distance is too far for any narrow-body nonstop. Even the A321XLR project only would be Germany to JFK/EWR. I'm surprised that KRK can work from ORD but not JFK or EWR...not enough planes?
 
User avatar
TheLion
Posts: 691
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:14 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:29 am

Samrnpage wrote:
How does the Rzeszow to Newark flight do for LOT? is it profitable?

Also must be the smallest airport in Europe to have a transatlantic flight? 600k pax a year it serves.


Glad you brought up this topic. I was wondering what this route was all about too...

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
Incredible to think that this flight works from such a small airport. Maybe the 737-8MAX could pick the flight up soon?


Distance is too far for any narrow-body nonstop. Even the A321XLR project only would be Germany to JFK/EWR. I'm surprised that KRK can work from ORD but not JFK or EWR...not enough planes?


Good point about KRK.

Also I wonder why other major Polish cities don’t have seasonal links to the US, especially when there are multiple population centres significantly larger than Rzeszów (metro averaging around the 300k mark):

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropol ... _in_Poland

In fact, according to Wiki, there are 7 Polish metros over 1 million population and approx 15 with a greater size than Rzeszów. The likes of Katowice, Poznań, Gdańsk, Łódź, and Wrocław all have a case.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14426
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:22 pm

TheLion wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
Samrnpage wrote:
Incredible to think that this flight works from such a small airport. Maybe the 737-8MAX could pick the flight up soon?


Distance is too far for any narrow-body nonstop. Even the A321XLR project only would be Germany to JFK/EWR. I'm surprised that KRK can work from ORD but not JFK or EWR...not enough planes?


Good point about KRK.

Also I wonder why other major Polish cities don’t have seasonal links to the US, especially when there are multiple population centres significantly larger than Rzeszów (metro averaging around the 300k mark):

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropol ... _in_Poland

In fact, according to Wiki, there are 7 Polish metros over 1 million population and approx 15 with a greater size than Rzeszów. The likes of Katowice, Poznań, Gdańsk, Łódź, and Wrocław all have a case.


Again, KRK-ORD survives on the back of VFR. At one point Chicago had the second highest Polish population in the world after Warsaw. New York, while a much larger city, has fewer Poles.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
User avatar
asuflyer05
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:53 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:24 pm

Having just returned from WAW, KRK and WRO I too am surprised by the lack of non-stop connectivity to Poland from the US. WAW is an excellent airport to connect through and there are tons of North Americans in KRK. Would be interesting to see UA add EWR or IAD-KRK as the 787s come online and free up 767s for new routes.
 
lhrsfosyd
Posts: 209
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:40 pm

Poland isn't a goldmine airlines are missing out on. The traffic to and from North America is overwhelmingly VFR therefore low yielding. Once a week frequencies from secondary cities exist for pride not profit. KRK-ORD and RZE-EWR will get a chop once the fuel goes up just like it did 10 years ago.
 
Cubsrule
Posts: 14426
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 12:13 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:21 pm

asuflyer05 wrote:
Having just returned from WAW, KRK and WRO I too am surprised by the lack of non-stop connectivity to Poland from the US. WAW is an excellent airport to connect through and there are tons of North Americans in KRK. Would be interesting to see UA add EWR or IAD-KRK as the 787s come online and free up 767s for new routes.


The problem is that the traffic isn’t very concentrated in a single city and most secondary (non-WAW) cities have good connectivity to Western European hubs, especially on LH.

Poland has about the same population as Argentina but something like half of Argentines live in Metro Buenos Aires and the demand is overwhelmingly centered there. Metro Warsaw has less than 10 percent of Poland’s population and is less touristically interesting than many points further south.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more
 
hoya
Posts: 547
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:25 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Based on my anecdotal experience, ORD-KRK exists because many of the Poles in the Chicago area hail from southern Poland - Tarnow, Bielsko Bialo, etc, cities and towns close to KRK. I'm guessing for the northern New Jersey region, most are from the southeast near and around RZE. I bet EWR-RZE also serves some Ukrainian traffic as RZE is close to the border.

asuflyer05 wrote:
Having just returned from WAW, KRK and WRO I too am surprised by the lack of non-stop connectivity to Poland from the US. WAW is an excellent airport to connect through and there are tons of North Americans in KRK. Would be interesting to see UA add EWR or IAD-KRK as the 787s come online and free up 767s for new routes.


LO offers enough service to the US: ORD, JFK, EWR, LAX, and soon MIA. YYZ is also served by both LO and AC, though the fact that YYZ-WAW is going back to Rouge next summer for AC is a sign there's not enough premium demand. LO has a small J cabin and large Y cabin - 292 seats total on their 787-9 - that takes advantage of this dynamic. There's simply not enough premium demand for UA to start the route. DL has flown JFK-WAW in the past, and that quickly ended.

lhrsfosyd wrote:
Poland isn't a goldmine airlines are missing out on. The traffic to and from North America is overwhelmingly VFR therefore low yielding. Once a week frequencies from secondary cities exist for pride not profit. KRK-ORD and RZE-EWR will get a chop once the fuel goes up just like it did 10 years ago.


Or they'll get the chop once the ruling party changes...remember, LO is still government owned. Previous CEO, under the previous ruling party, kept saying the runway was too short for any longhaul out of KRK, that they were exploring KTW due to the longer runway there. The 767s were weight-restricted when they flew from KRK. Besides the party and CEO change, nothing else has changed from a technical point of view. I wonder what weight restrictions the 787 takes on KRK-ORD today. Regions around KRK and RZE especially heavily favor the current ruling party.

While there is a lot of U.S. investment in RZE, business travelers want frequency, and once a week service won't capture that business traffic. They all go on LH via Germany.
Hoya Saxa!!
 
anrec80
Posts: 2759
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:50 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Samrnpage wrote:
Incredible to think that this flight works from such a small airport. Maybe the 737-8MAX could pick the flight up soon?


Isn’t it like 9 hours? Do 737-8MAX or A321LR even have legs for that?
 
User avatar
mke717spotter
Posts: 2156
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:32 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:04 pm

asuflyer wrote:
LO flew this back in the 2000's, I believe it came back again last summer. They have also done JFK-RZE, JFK-KRK, ORD-RZE in the past.

I don't think RZE-ORD was ever a thing, but I do remember seeing a flight to EWR when I was at KRK in 2009.
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.
 
User avatar
InnsbruckFlyer
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:36 pm

FSDan wrote:
a350lover wrote:
Just one weekly flight on Mondays.... what are the routings like for this trip leg?


WAW-EWR-RZE-EWR-WAW


Wait, does LOT actually fly a Dreamliner from WAW to RZE with paying passengers?!?!
Last flown aircraft: A320 D-AIUR < A320 D-AIZM < B738 PH-HZJ < B737 PH-XRD < B772 N766AN < B738 N855NN < B788 N45905 < A319 N808UA < A320 N482UA < B752 N19117 < B772 N794AN < A320 D-AIPS < A319 OE-LDD < A320 D-AIQA
 
filipair
Posts: 162
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 3:28 am

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:27 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
FSDan wrote:
a350lover wrote:
Just one weekly flight on Mondays.... what are the routings like for this trip leg?


WAW-EWR-RZE-EWR-WAW


Wait, does LOT actually fly a Dreamliner from WAW to RZE with paying passengers?!?!


Yes, through Newark.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3275
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: Rzeszów to Newark

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:28 pm

InnsbruckFlyer wrote:
FSDan wrote:
a350lover wrote:
Just one weekly flight on Mondays.... what are the routings like for this trip leg?


WAW-EWR-RZE-EWR-WAW


Wait, does LOT actually fly a Dreamliner from WAW to RZE with paying passengers?!?!


No. They fly WAW-EWR and RZE-EWR, with the aircraft swapping between transatlantic routes in EWR.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos