chunhimlai
Topic Author

Rethinking LGA Airport

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:35 am

Laguardia Airport is the first major airport in NYC. Although the location is very convenient with various of public transport and the least travel time to Manhattan, it is too small for expansion and the infrastructure is 3rd world standard.

On the other hand, Newark and JFK has international long-haul service but both of them has less comfortable transport and both of them requires tens of of billions dollar for future development and upgrade.

Instead of upgrading 3 individual airport , another way to upgrade the NYC airport is to concentrate most of the regular passenger services in LGA. By diverse the East river and relocate the nearby resident to new town developed in former JFK and EWR airport are, LGA could have 30km2 area for a massive 8 runways airport which could support 180 million PAX and 3 million cargo each year.

cha747

Re: Rethinking LGA Airport

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am

Umm...you're obviously not from New York....I don't mean to be rude but April 1st is a long way off. May as well put parallel runways down the Avenues of Manhattan.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

onlyboeing

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:57 am

Wow....I'm genuinely interested in what people on this forum are smoking, because I wanna try some.

Just like the Vashon Island airport idea from a couple of days ago, this will never happen. NEVER. As someone who lives in New York, I'll go ahead and tell you New York politics and NIMBY's in general would never let this happen. In the area directly surrounding LGA, and in the area of your proposed "airport" are more people living there than most major cities in the rest of the world. To build an airport like proposed would involve displacing thousands of people, homes, business, and schools. It will never happen.

Even the train to the plane is a boondoggle at best. The residents in your proposed airport area wouldn't even approve of a 2 stop extension of the subway. Not to mention, the current governor and mayor are complete idiots.

LGA isn't perfect by any means, but it's currently undergoing a multi-billion dollar transformation. Even if Riker's Island closes, any expansion onto there is a stretch by any means.

What we currently have is what we will have for the foreseeable future. It ain't perfect by any means, but it works....kinda.

LGA, JFK, and EWR are what we are going to have for the foreseeable future. Maaaaaayyyybe a new terminal here or there, but that's it. There will be no new airport.

cha747

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:03 am

onlyboeing wrote:

What we currently have is what we will have for the foreseeable future. It ain't perfect by any means, but it works....kinda.

You're 100% correct. What we have is what we need. EWR serves as a wonderful hub and gateway that is easily accessible to Manhattan and Northern/Central New Jersey. JFK is up there with LHR and DXB - gateway to the world. LGA does its part to connect New Yorkers up and down the East Coast and to the midwest. It ain't perfect but it works.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

tlecam

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 am

I appreciate the creativity, OP. I don't think that this approach is viable for a number of reasons, but once in awhile a crazy idea sticks.

The number one hurdle for this idea is political; the eminent domain required for this to work does not have the support of the people or the politicians. Memories of "urban renewal" from the 60s and 70s are fresh in a lot of minds. I live close to Lincoln Center and there are many older residents (and their children) who are still bitter about what took place there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/21/nyre ... retty.html
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

phatfarmlines

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:35 am

A saw a plan on here about incorporating Rikers Island as part of LGA with a new runway and new terminals. That might be more plausible than this plan, though would still be met with resistance.

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:45 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
A saw a plan on here about incorporating Rikers Island as part of LGA with a new runway and new terminals. That might be more plausible than this plan, though would still be met with resistance.

https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/ny.curb ... -the-bronx

tlecam

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:46 am

onlyboeing wrote:

LGA, JFK, and EWR are what we are going to have for the foreseeable future. Maaaaaayyyybe a new terminal here or there, but that's it. There will be no new airport.

This. And while I have learned time and time again not to get my hopes up for anything that the Port Authority is involved in, the progress on LGA construction has been surprising and the plans for the JFK terminal re-do seem (relatively) pragmatic.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Bobloblaw

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:53 am

Nice creativity.

cha747

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:57 am

If we're going to play "let's redo NYC airports" then what about just expanding JFK into Jamaica Bay a la KIX and routing Cross Bay Blvd around or through it? The NIMBYs around Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan won't allow it.

steeler83

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:29 pm

On the subject of Rykers Island, I saw that De Blasio said he's looking to close the jail complex within 10 years or so if the crime rate falls, leading to a drop in average daily population to around 5,000 (according to an interview back in 2017). I assume the remaining prisons would be able to handle the 5,000 inmates. That said, suppose they look to extend the existing runway across the island and build a new one adjacent and add new terminal space. The EPA will have a field day and a half with this proposal. Whoever would be responsible for doing the enviornmental impact assessment and EIS statements would have to show how they plan to mitigate the environmental impacts of developing a good chunk of the East River...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

OA940

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Why don't you stick it on top of the Empire State Building while you're at it
A350/CSeries = bae

Newbiepilot

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Bringing Floyd Bennet Field back and linking with high speed access to JFK is more likely in my opinion. That won’t fix the airspace mess situation. We need next generation of ATC for that since all runways can’t be fully utilized right now due to congestion

johns624

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Let's see-- first Exeter, then SEA and now LGA. I can't wait to see what the OP proposes next...

STT757

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:03 pm

The Metropolitan statistical area of New York is home to 23 million people, the majority of which live outside the boundaries of the City of New York. Why would you inconvenience the majority of the population that EWR, JFK and LGA serve by building one major airport in Queens? The three airports serve a purpose that a single mega airport cannot. There are 8 million in North Jersey, you're going to make them commute through Manhattan to reach Queens? The infrastructure cannot handle the current levels of traffic.

If anything the area needs to develop more service from more airports, ISP, SWF, HPN, TTN, ABE, ACY etc.. Again there are more people in the regions surrounding NYC than there are in NYC, you need to give them incentive and enough service to not drive towards the city to fly.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

tphuang

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:04 pm

There might be some rioting on the street if this ever gets announced.

blockski

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:13 pm

Sure, just casually propose to tear down the homes of 100,000+ New Yorkers.

jfklganyc

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:17 pm

You paved over thousands of homes (maybe tens of thousands of homes) in your drawing.

Just sayin

flyinghippo

Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:20 pm

A+ for creativity and quality of whatever you're smoking.

F for reality.

TBH - it should be JFK that gets the major expansion, not LGA. It's already bigger than LGA so there will be less land to acquire/fill. Plus the closing of LGA would free up air traffic around JFK/EWR to better utilize their runways.

maverick4002

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Beyond the obvious NOPE due to the massive people / property displacement required here, the two far right runways also significantly encroach on the WhiteStone bridge. Looks like the bridge will have to be demolished lol

DTWorld

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:52 pm

On the shitty days at work, I jokingly say that all it takes is for some air traffic controller in LGA to sneeze and all hell breaks loose. Sure the terminal investments are nice for LGA, but what is really needed is another runway that will NOT intersect with the approach paths for JFK.

Rbgso

Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:58 pm

Let's see, diverting the east river, relocating Rikers, bulldozing thousands of homes, bulldozing JFK, temporary relocation for the hundreds of thousands of people while all this is going on, creating more land from the sea.....

Let's say you got the green light today. I'm guessing it would be 40 years and trillons (yes, trillions) of dollars. Add in the associated cost overruns with Port Authority, and you have the boondoggle of all times.

You may as well put in some cross wind runways in while you're at it.

Well done. It did give me a chuckle.....

chunhimlai
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:08 pm

DTWorld wrote:
On the shitty days at work, I jokingly say that all it takes is for some air traffic controller in LGA to sneeze and all hell breaks loose. Sure the terminal investments are nice for LGA, but what is really needed is another runway that will NOT intersect with the approach paths for JFK.

JFK will close after LGA expansion

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Leaving aside the feasibility of such a plan, one must remember that the airspace limitations are a major cause of delays in the American northeast. China may lay claim to the most restricted airspace on the planet, but the U.S. isn't that far behind - and not necessarily because of military restrictions, either. Shifting winds at JFK can turn an otherwise normal day into Defcon 1 in a matter of minutes, delaying LGA, EWR, and PHL in the blink of an eye, and maybe even further. All three NYC-metro airports have to be coordinated for take-offs and landings,

I too have fantasized about picking up DEN or DFW and placing the airports somewhere in the NYC area. It never works. NYC would be better served with better transportation to and from the multiple airports to mid-town Manhattan (and ideally that would be ISP and SWP as well!!) than it would a mega-airport. In fact, spreading the choices for flying out over a large area might actually clear out the NYC area a bit!

masseybrown

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Politics aside, the climate pessimists say as much as 40% of LaGuardia will be underwater by 2030.

Antarius

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:07 pm

chunhimlai wrote:
DTWorld wrote:

JFK will close after LGA expansion

What?
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

evank516

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Let's just turn the entire LIE into one giant runway so when they come up with the triple decker A390 it can take off with a full load and fly to Boise, Idaho nonstop. Seriously, this isn't Woodstock, stop dropping acid.

stlgph

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:09 pm

and we've reached a new low.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Bricktop

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Baron Haussmann and Robert Moses all rolled up in one. Interesting thinking, but ZERO, and I really do mean ZERO chance of any serious discussion. And only mockery here, I am afraid.

tkoenig95

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:26 pm

The creativity is much appreciated! Maybe the idea is a bit too big since having to relocate so many thousands of people would be difficult. Also, the NYC airspace is so limited that having to redesign it for this airport would be lots of work and $$$

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:39 pm

In addition to the new Whitestone TUNNEL, there were be considerable amounts of major divided highways to be relocated, adding about $15 billion to your project.

GF

master14225

Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Next the OP will post about building 8 runways at YTZ and close YYZ for good.

VirginFlyer

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:00 pm

onlyboeing wrote:
Wow....I'm genuinely interested in what people on this forum are smoking, because I wanna try some.

Just like the Vashon Island airport idea from a couple of days ago, this will never happen.

Same user making both proposals... Just wait till you see his proposals for airports handling 300 million passengers annually in Monaco, Vatican City and Tokelau.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

2Holer4Longhaul

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Yeah, no. This is not going to happen in a million years.
None of New York's airports are going to see significant expansion, nor will they be closed. The politics don't lend themselves to either.
If you expand or close EWR, New Jersey will scream.
If you expand LGA, everyone around it and in its flight path will lose it. If you close LGA, businesses will be pissed
Expand JFK? Brooklyn and Queens residents go after you. Close it? The same, plus residents of Long Island and Manhattan will be unhappy.
And that's before we get into the airlines being upset about moving, or the EPA, or how the financial burden will be split.
So, in conclusion, ain't gon' happen.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

flyingcat

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:21 pm

You could send this to the writers of The Man in the High Castle.

This would be the perfect layout for Obergruppenführer Charles Lindbergh International Airport in that universe.

anrec80

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 pm

onlyboeing wrote:

Perfectly agree. If a piece of infrastructure (an airport, a highway, a rail line) isn’t yet built yet by now, it won’t be built at all. Maybe some upgrades here and there. Gotta make it do with what’s there already.

anrec80

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:56 pm

steeler83 wrote:
On the subject of Rykers Island, I saw that De Blasio said he's looking to close the jail complex within 10 years or so if the crime rate falls, leading to a drop in average daily population to around 5,000 (according to an interview back in 2017). I assume the remaining prisons would be able to handle the 5,000 inmates. That said, suppose they look to extend the existing runway across the island and build a new one adjacent and add new terminal space. The EPA will have a field day and a half with this proposal. Whoever would be responsible for doing the enviornmental impact assessment and EIS statements would have to show how they plan to mitigate the environmental impacts of developing a good chunk of the East River...

Well, let the crime fall first. I have no confidence in De Blasio.

cranberrysaus

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:09 pm

Looks good to me. Let's start a gofundme.

7673mech

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:33 pm

He did the same thing for Seattle in another thread. Evicted a whole island. It's not realistic. Stop. Please.

PatrickZ80

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:00 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Perfectly agree. If a piece of infrastructure (an airport, a highway, a rail line) isn’t yet built yet by now, it won’t be built at all. Maybe some upgrades here and there. Gotta make it do with what’s there already.

Unfortunately that's the way it works in New York, where progress seems to be a dirty word.

I agree this plan has zero chance, tearing down half the city to build an airport is just plain impossible. But he's right about one thing, eventually New York will need a new airport. The current airports work for now, but they won't work forever. You got to think ahead, think about what will be needed in a number of decades. Don't wait until it's too late.

So in maybe 20 or 30 years New York will need a new airport. Does it need to be in the heart of the city? No! Absolutely not. Looking at a global scale, we see old airports inside the city closing and new airports outside the city opening. New York should do the same. It might not be needed now, but it will be needed in the future.

PatrickZ80

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:19 pm

From another thread:

Mortyman wrote:
EightyFour wrote:
I was still young when I last flew through FBU, and I can't remember why but my child mind really didn't like FBU at all. I felt so fancy going through the new Gardermoen for the first time.

When it closed in 1998 it was a fairly old airport at around 55 years old and it had become very cramped. However it was nearer to the city and it had a beautiful location. Many pilots and passengers alike enjoyed the scenery flying in there. However in the end it became too small and it was just too difficult to enlarge it at that location.

I certainly miss the locaion. Today it's a mix of business and housing developments. The tower still stands and the seaplane operation is still there.

This was 20 years ago, Oslo Fornebu closed and Oslo Gardermoen opened. Gardermoen is much further from the city, but still much more convenient. The reason Gardermoen could be so much bigger than Fornebu is it's location, basically in the middle of nowhere. But comparing New York to Oslo, New York would have kept operating Fornebu for eternity and Gardermoen would never have been built. Because that's the way it works in New York.

alex0easy

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Cool. Exeter, Sea-Tac, and now this.
Can't wait for season 4.

dmstorm22

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:25 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:

Unfortunately that's the way it works in New York, where progress seems to be a dirty word.

I agree this plan has zero chance, tearing down half the city to build an airport is just plain impossible. But he's right about one thing, eventually New York will need a new airport. The current airports work for now, but they won't work forever. You got to think ahead, think about what will be needed in a number of decades. Don't wait until it's too late.

So in maybe 20 or 30 years New York will need a new airport. Does it need to be in the heart of the city? No! Absolutely not. Looking at a global scale, we see old airports inside the city closing and new airports outside the city opening. New York should do the same. It might not be needed now, but it will be needed in the future.

Maybe it will be the other ridiculous plan that was pitched a few weeks back to build an airport in Central Jersey that can service NY and Philly?

/tries to make clear I'm nearly 100% joking

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
From another thread:

Mortyman wrote:
EightyFour wrote:
I was still young when I last flew through FBU, and I can't remember why but my child mind really didn't like FBU at all. I felt so fancy going through the new Gardermoen for the first time.

When it closed in 1998 it was a fairly old airport at around 55 years old and it had become very cramped. However it was nearer to the city and it had a beautiful location. Many pilots and passengers alike enjoyed the scenery flying in there. However in the end it became too small and it was just too difficult to enlarge it at that location.

I certainly miss the locaion. Today it's a mix of business and housing developments. The tower still stands and the seaplane operation is still there.

This was 20 years ago, Oslo Fornebu closed and Oslo Gardermoen opened. Gardermoen is much further from the city, but still much more convenient. The reason Gardermoen could be so much bigger than Fornebu is it's location, basically in the middle of nowhere. But comparing New York to Oslo, New York would have kept operating Fornebu for eternity and Gardermoen would never have been built. Because that's the way it works in New York.

Gardenmoen might have been in the “middle of nowhere” but it’s 35 km from Oslo CBD. Try putting a circle around NYC and find a “middle of nowhere” within 135km of the city. Actually, doing so, makes central NJ (motto: Embrace Being a NIMBY) look about right. Certainly, CT isn’t possible (too rich or too far), eastern PA is too far and hilly for large airport development, so Pine Barrens is the place.

GF

EA CO AS

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm

7673mech wrote:
He did the same thing for Seattle in another thread. Evicted a whole island. It's not realistic. Stop. Please.

Is it possible to ban someone after X number of ridiculous threads?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:30 pm

Really? Ban a poster for being entertaining? The discussion on SEA and LGA has been interesting and, at times, informative on the limits being placed on growth.

Gf

jplatts

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:04 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
anrec80 wrote:

I agree that NYC will probably need a new airport in 20 to 30 years from now, and I agree that a new NYC airport does not need to be in the heart of the city.

DAL, which is located in the heart of the city of Dallas, was originally planned to be closed to commercial passenger air service once DFW opened, but DAL still has commercial passenger air service today. WN was actually originally founded in order to take advantage of the facilities that would be available at DAL once DFW opened, but WN has grown from a Texas-centric airline to a major national airline. WN also still has its home base and headquarters at DAL.

In addition to DAL, there are other examples of old airports that have remained opened to commercial passenger air service once the new airports have opened, including the following:
  • In Chicago, MDW remained open to commercial passenger air service subsequent to the opening of ORD in 1944.
  • In Houston, HOU was reopened to commercial passenger air service in the early 1970's subsequent to the opening of IAH in 1969.
  • In Washington, DC, DCA still continues to have commercial passenger air service subsequent to the opening of IAD in 1962.
  • In London, LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN, STN, and SEN all continue to have commercial passenger air service.
  • In Moscow, VKO, which is the oldest operating airport in Moscow, continues to have commercial passenger air service, even though Moscow is also served by SVO, DME, and ZIA in addition to VKO.
  • In Osaka, ITM continues to have domestic commercial passenger air service after KIX opened in 1994.
  • In Paris, ORY continues to have commercial passenger air service after CDG opened in 1974.
  • In Rio de Janeiro, SDU continues to have commercial passenger air service subsequent to the opening of GIG in 1952.
  • In Rome, CIA continues to have commercial passenger air service after the opening of FCO in 1960.
  • In São Paulo, CGH continues to have commercial air service after the opening of GRU in 1985.
  • In Seoul, GMP continues to have commercial passenger air service to South Korea, China, Japan, and Taiwan after the opening of ICN in 2001.
  • In Shanghai, SHA continues to have commercial passenger air service subsequent to the opening of PVG in 1999.
  • In Taipei, TSA continues to have commercial passenger air service subsequent to the opening of TPE in 1979.
  • In Tokyo, HND continues to have commercial passenger air service subsequent to the opening of NRT in 1978.

LGA could certainly remain open to commercial passenger air service subsequent to the opening of a new NYC commercial airport in 20 or 30 years from now, similar to what has happened in some other major cities in the world.

PanzerPowner

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 am

Ah let the person have fun with his maps and ploys, just break out the restrictions in the form of 12 guages and let's pick it off one by one

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Well uh, I obviously decided to refine this but i dont know how.

philabos

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 am

One Robert Moses was enough. It has taken New York half a century to recover from him.

neomax

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:34 am

I don't think this is realistic at all, that said, there is no way that it displaces more than a few thousand people at best. NY is big but its not that big. Some of the estimates on here about tens of thousands or 100K people are ridiculous and borderline absurd.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos