Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jumpjets
Topic Author

Airline diversions because of POTUS [and others?]

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 pm

I have just seen this post on thebasource.com:

'British Airways Boeing 777-236ER G-VIIR operating BA2037 London Gatwick – Orlando diverted via Tampa this afternoon (8th October) due to airport facilities being unavailable at Orlando due to Air Force One arriving with President Trump'

Is the diversion of routine commercial flights a common thing when the President of the US is travelling to a particular airport or were there specific reasons why Orlando couldn't accommodate the BA flight while President Trump is in town?

Are a.netters aware of any other instances where this has occurred because of the arrival of POTUS, or any other VVIP for that matter?

sw733

Re: Airline diversions because of POTUS [and others?]

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:06 pm

I'm not aware of diversions being a common thing. It's fairly common for aircraft to be held, either on the ground or circling above, for a short amount of time as AF1 comes in/goes out, but they honestly tend to take care of that pretty quickly.

Seems unusual to me, based on what I have seen and experienced personally.

atcsundevil

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:11 pm

jumpjets wrote:

'British Airways Boeing 777-236ER G-VIIR operating BA2037 London Gatwick – Orlando diverted via Tampa this afternoon (8th October) due to airport facilities being unavailable at Orlando due to Air Force One arriving with President Trump'

Is the diversion of routine commercial flights a common thing when the President of the US is travelling to a particular airport or were there specific reasons why Orlando couldn't accommodate the BA flight while President Trump is in town?

Are a.netters aware of any other instances where this has occurred because of the arrival of POTUS, or any other VVIP for that matter?

It happens. It happened to two or three flights headed to DCA a few weeks ago. Unfortunately controllers don't always get a heads up about a VIP movement; sometimes the call comes, "you're in the hold", and that's just the way it goes. Generally the delay for holding is less than a half hour, but if it happens in the middle of an arrivals push, options can be a bit limited. If/when we do have a heads up, we'll usually give aircraft discretion on speed and expect to hold, limiting their time spinning at low altitude. More often than not though, we don't seem to have much notice, so it is what it is. Occasionally some flights get unlucky.

mwhcvt

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:12 pm

I believe that whenever AF1 there is a complete ground stop for a period before arrival and while POTUS is still at he airport and the same goes for departure, ordinarially id guess any arriving aircraft would enter a holding pattern or divert if needed, clearly this time diversion was needed..

This is why more often or not when coming to the UK in recent years AF1 has gone into either an RAF/USAF base or the likes of FAB rather than LHR or LGW as the operations there are that conjested already that such restrictions would not work
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

IADCA

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 pm

sw733 wrote:
I'm not aware of diversions being a common thing. It's fairly common for aircraft to be held, either on the ground or circling above, for a short amount of time as AF1 comes in/goes out, but they honestly tend to take care of that pretty quickly.

Without straying too far into the political, this particular president (or his associates) seems to mandate much more disruptive security procedures around his presence than his predecessors did. The street closures around motorcades that seem to be longer and broader and the ridiculous attempts to close off the entire Potomac River when the dude plays golf are pretty obvious examples of things that have changed.

GreenArc

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Takes a bit longer these days as White House staffers have to do a full TP check of the president's shoes.

sw733

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:15 pm

IADCA wrote:
sw733 wrote:

Without straying too far into the political, this particular president (or his associates) seems to mandate much more disruptive security procedures around his presence than his predecessors did. The street closures around motorcades that seem to be longer and broader and the ridiculous attempts to close off the entire Potomac River when the dude plays golf are pretty obvious examples of things that have changed.

Well, looking at the route for this particular flight, it did one circle out over the ocean (but not too far from the coast) and then shot towards Tampa. Just seems odd that it would need to divert after one circle. The same flight the day before did one as well, but still went in to MCO.

kbmiflyer

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:20 pm

There is the famous and misreported story that Bill Clinton held up traffic at LAX for an hour to get a haircut in 1993. The story is true, but only half of the field was actually closed and traffic was barely impacted

Adispatcher

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:29 pm

jumpjets wrote:

VIP movements are usually known in advance. Generally, a time window on either side is published, but that can change with no advance warning. Domestically, we try to fuel for the event. Diversions are uncommon, but do occur. I can see how a long-haul international flight might be impacted if unaware.

sw733

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Adispatcher wrote:
I can see how a long-haul international flight might be impacted if unaware.

In this case, I wonder if they were told to expect an unusually long hold? I'm just wondering why going over to TPA was a better choice than waiting out the hold. Fuel wise, I wonder what the difference would have been.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Edging to politics, but this is supposed to be a republic, not Imperial Rome. I cannot see the reason for this theater going on, regardless of who is President. Make no mistake, it’s too much for Clinton, Bush, Obama or Trump, they’re just men, not irreplaceable Gods. The airside os any US airport, and just about any international airport is as safe and secure as anywhere.

I once followed CanForce 1 into TEB, nary a mention the Canadian PM was visiting.

GF

Adispatcher

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 pm

sw733 wrote:
Adispatcher wrote:
I can see how a long-haul international flight might be impacted if unaware.

In this case, I wonder if they were told to expect an unusually long hold? I'm just wondering why going over to TPA was a better choice than waiting out the hold. Fuel wise, I wonder what the difference would have been.

Tough to say without context. EFCs are generally longer than they end up being and summer/fall weather in FL is still thunderstorm prone. If coming into MCO skinny on gas with TPA as an alternate I can see how the decision would be made to divert, get gas, and then continue. Coming from across the pond, I'm sure it is more difficult to communicate and coordinate a plan around the VIP movement than it would be for a domestic flight.

fanofjets

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:45 pm

On a related note, there's general aviation. In northern New Jersey, where I live, every time the prez visits his golf course in Bedminster, all the local airports (within a 75-mile radius) are shut down. An acquaintance of mine who owns a flight school is saying that these actions are hurting small businesses like his terribly.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Aeroflot001

Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 pm

AEP (Along with two other airports) will be closed from November 29th - December 1st due to the G20 Summit in Buenos Aires. AEP is the busiest airport in Argentina so one can only imagine the disruptions this will cause. EZE will be no picnic either given that many of the larger delegations will be arriving there anyway.

mxp

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi remember some years ago when OK was still Flying PRG-JFK with A310 and i was onboard we diverted because we need fuel due to JFK been closed because Obama was in town. We landed 3 hours later

mxp

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:11 pm

Hi remember some years ago when OK was still Flying PRG-JFK with A310 and i was onboard we diverted because we need fuel due to JFK been closed because Obama was in town. We landed 3 hours later

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos