QXAS
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines 73G Fleet

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:15 pm

AS currently has 11 73G aircraft in the fleet. I seldom see them when I pass through Seattle and I haven’t personally flown on one since they frequented the Disneyland Express. So I have a couple of questions...
If I wanted to fly on an AS 73G where do I need to go? Are they only in Alaska now?
Do they have slimline seats? If not which seats do they have? I know they don’t have in seat power.
What do you all foresee as the future for this size range for AS?
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

metaldirtnskin

Re: Alaska Airlines 73G Fleet

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Last one I was on was SEA-GEG, though it looks like they are using all manner of equipment on that route depending on day and time. Couldn't tell you if they have slimline seats because I was in F. ;)

They also seem to operate on a lot of intra-Alaska routes.

Chugach

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:28 pm

QXAS wrote:
AS currently has 11 73G aircraft in the fleet. I seldom see them when I pass through Seattle and I haven’t personally flown on one since they frequented the Disneyland Express. So I have a couple of questions...
If I wanted to fly on an AS 73G where do I need to go? Are they only in Alaska now?
Do they have slimline seats? If not which seats do they have? I know they don’t have in seat power.

They do a lot of the intra-Alaska stuff as well as some of the milk run flights that originate in Seattle (usually flight 65, which is the one that goes SEA-KTN-WRG-PSG-JNU-ANC). Occasionally they’ll show up on SEA/PDX-ANC. Old school seats, no power. Supposed to be getting an interior refurbish next year.

seabosdca

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:31 pm

I had one a couple months ago on LAX-SEA and am scheduled on another one next week flying SEA-SFO. They seem to stay off the transcons, but you can find them bouncing around pretty much everywhere else in the network. As noted they usually do the milk run.

They look and feel very worn inside. The interior renovation can't come soon enough.

TBH I doubt there will be a direct replacement. I believe all the Alaska airports can now accommodate the 738, and I expect the 738 or MAX 8 (or A320neo if that order remains) will be the smallest aircraft in the fleet going forward.

hiflyeras

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:48 pm

Interior refresh is starting this fall. New Recaro seats in FC and Y, power ports, tablet holders. New LED cabin lighting and class divider too I believe.

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:00 am

hiflyeras wrote:
Interior refresh is starting this fall. New Recaro seats in FC and Y, power ports, tablet holders. New LED cabin lighting and class divider too I believe.

But no split-scimitar winglets. They’ll keep the standard ones.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LAXBUR

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:33 am

EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

While we are on the topic...

I’m sure this has been explained, but I’m a bit confused. The Alaska site seems to suggest only the Airbus are getting new interiors (at least those show in the photos). Are the new 739s coming on and upcoming MAX aircraft going to have the same seats? And the older 738s and 739s?

32andBelow

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:34 am

See them all the time at work flying intra Alaska flights. With the mx base in anc they likely don’t have a huge reason to leave the state.

chrisair

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:44 am

LAXBUR wrote:

I’m sure this has been explained, but I’m a bit confused. The Alaska site seems to suggest only the Airbus are getting new interiors (at least those show in the photos). Are the new 739s coming on and upcoming MAX aircraft going to have the same seats? And the older 738s and 739s?

All planes are getting the new interior. The A320s and 73Gs are getting the new interior first.

wedgetail737

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 am

seabosdca wrote:
I had one a couple months ago on LAX-SEA and am scheduled on another one next week flying SEA-SFO. They seem to stay off the transcons, but you can find them bouncing around pretty much everywhere else in the network. As noted they usually do the milk run.

They look and feel very worn inside. The interior renovation can't come soon enough.

TBH I doubt there will be a direct replacement. I believe all the Alaska airports can now accommodate the 738, and I expect the 738 or MAX 8 (or A320neo if that order remains) will be the smallest aircraft in the fleet going forward.

Recently, the only transcon I've seen the 73G's have been the SEA-CHS route. But they are used up and down the west coast fairly regularly...but not like in the past. I do see them fairly frequently in SEA. There's even one 73G left in old colors.

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:19 am

LAXBUR wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
hiflyeras wrote:

The business case for the 738/739/739ER fleet hasn't been officially signed off yet. It's in work right now though, and while it won't quite be the full retrofit the Airbus fleet is getting, they're targeting getting the new bulkheads, cabin dividers, carpets, lighting, etc. which will be almost a full retrofit. The MAX aircraft should get the new interiors though.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

LAXBUR

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:03 am

EA CO AS wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

The business case for the 738/739/739ER fleet hasn't been officially signed off yet. It's in work right now though, and while it won't quite be the full retrofit the Airbus fleet is getting, they're targeting getting the new bulkheads, cabin dividers, carpets, lighting, etc. which will be almost a full retrofit. The MAX aircraft should get the new interiors though.

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to suspect it wasn’t fleetwide since everything has been a bit vague in my opinion. I certainly hope they at leas tsp the partials for commonality. If the Airbus photos are accurate it looks like the seats and upgrades will be slick.

EA CO AS

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:17 am

LAXBUR wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I was starting to suspect it wasn’t fleetwide since everything has been a bit vague in my opinion. I certainly hope they at leas tsp the partials for commonality. If the Airbus photos are accurate it looks like the seats and upgrades will be slick.

They do look pretty amazing; I think it's a given that the 800/900/ER fleet will get done as well, but it's just a formality of getting the business case signed off on. They won't be done before the Airbus fleet is done, though.

Newbiepilot

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:22 am

Lots of runways in Alaska are around 6,000ft. The 737-700 has better takeoff performance than the 737-800, so I can see it sticking around for the lower capacity markets that need a higher performance plane.

PlanesNTrains

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 am

EA CO AS wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

They do look pretty amazing; I think it's a given that the 800/900/ER fleet will get done as well, but it's just a formality of getting the business case signed off on. They won't be done before the Airbus fleet is done, though.

In the face of Mint, any chance that they'll reconsider a more premium F cabin on some frames? Seems like this otherwise amazing new interior may not be quite as competitive on the transcon routes. Call it "Northern Lights" or "Northwoods" or "Denali" or "Coastal" or something catchy, have an upgraded cabin and menu, and kick some transcontinental ass.

Just one guy's dream.
Last edited by PlanesNTrains on Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

d8s

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:29 am

QXAS wrote:

I flew one last month SEA-SNA (AS 528); Had the old leather seats in Y, actually enjoyed the seat as it was much more comfortable than the slimline. Didn't have seat power but had streaming entertainment.

Chugach

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:04 am

Newbiepilot wrote:
Lots of runways in Alaska are around 6,000ft. The 737-700 has better takeoff performance than the 737-800, so I can see it sticking around for the lower capacity markets that need a higher performance plane.

AS launches 738’s daily across the pacific from LIH, which is 6,500 feet. Little short hops in Alaska aren’t an issue for the 738.

739 is a different story. Notorious runway pig, and the ramps at a few of the smaller stations (PSG and WRG for example) aren’t big enough to handle it. It’ll show up in SIT occasionally but has to be weight restricted on departure.

b773

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:07 am

I flew SEA-DEN in July 2017 on their special 'Portland Timbers' livery. Not sure if that one is still flying around.

seabosdca

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:10 am

Chugach wrote:
Little short hops in Alaska aren’t an issue for the 738.

739 is a different story.

:checkmark:

The 738 is a quite good runway performer. A properly equipped 73G goes beyond "very good" to "amazing," but nothing in AS's network demands that sort of capability.

Kaphias

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:32 am

b773 wrote:
I flew SEA-DEN in July 2017 on their special 'Portland Timbers' livery. Not sure if that one is still flying around.

I saw it in Gustavus over the summer. Lots of 73Gs still in Alaska.

QXAS
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:23 am

Also, I’ve noticed from the images that they have not had the eyebrow windows plugged. Why is that? The 800s were plugged years ago and the 900ERs were delivered without.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

chrisair

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:00 am

EA CO AS wrote:

Wait, you sure? Everything I’ve seen come out of the PR machine says the new first class seats are going fleet wide with leg rests, more pitch, along with all the other stuff you mentioned.

Did something change?

usxguy

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:48 am

Its rare to see anything BUT a 700 used on any of the milk-runs, with the exceptions of the SEA-KTN-SIT-JNU leg. You'll see the 73Gs mostly out of ANC, I believe they even do ANC/ORD a few days a week and ANC/PDX. AS 65/67 are almost always a -700 in the winter; AS 62/64 southbound. And almost every ANC/JNU leg is a 73G (nice to get the -900 every blue moon though)
xx

452QX

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:11 am

b773 wrote:

607 still flies, and is currently the oldest aircraft in the Alaska Air Group (delivered in 1999)

midexjet

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:16 am

We had one in Milwaukee Friday night, I think N614AS..

roadrunner165

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:34 am

We see the -700s daily here in Nome. A refreshed cabin cannot come soon enough. I have several coworkers who commute from Anchorage weekly and are MVP/Gold/75 and they all complain about the interior and lack of power outlets, even on a 1 hour and 20 minute flight.

Regarding runway performance when the weather is bad (foggy, windy and rainy) they tend to send out the -800s. When asked about this a pilot said the -800s can land less visibility and lower ceilings then the -700s. I would have assumed the opposite would have been true. Anyone have an idea as to why?

airplaneboy

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:03 am

What’s the history of the -700 at Alaska and why do they have so few? Did/do you they serve a niche within their network?

NameOmitted

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:41 pm

QXAS wrote:
Also, I’ve noticed from the images that they have not had the eyebrow windows plugged. Why is that? The 800s were plugged years ago and the 900ERs were delivered without.

Per an earlier thread (I have no specific knowledge), the visibility offered by the eyebrow windows tends to be of greater utility in less well developed airports that have less electronic guidance available, and more general aviation aircraft. The 73G fleet have a greater tenancy to serve those airports then the larger aircraft.

snowzilla

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:06 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
QXAS wrote:

Per an earlier thread (I have no specific knowledge), the visibility offered by the eyebrow windows tends to be of greater utility in less well developed airports that have less electronic guidance available, and more general aviation aircraft. The 73G fleet have a greater tenancy to serve those airports then the larger aircraft.

I believe they didn't get plugged because the company thought they were going to get rid or them, so they didn't want to invest any additional money into the 700's. Of course that is different now...

snowzilla

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm

roadrunner165 wrote:
We see the -700s daily here in Nome. A refreshed cabin cannot come soon enough. I have several coworkers who commute from Anchorage weekly and are MVP/Gold/75 and they all complain about the interior and lack of power outlets, even on a 1 hour and 20 minute flight.

Regarding runway performance when the weather is bad (foggy, windy and rainy) they tend to send out the -800s. When asked about this a pilot said the -800s can land less visibility and lower ceilings then the -700s. I would have assumed the opposite would have been true. Anyone have an idea as to why?

All of Alaska's 737's have the same weather minimums. Most pilots prefer the 700 over all others. No split scimitar's (easier to land in a slip in a crosswind), almost impossible to hit the tail, lot's of power for a lighter airplane, etc...

yeelep

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:56 pm

QXAS wrote:
Do they have slimline seats? If not which seats do they have?
They currently have B/E Aerospace Spectrum first class and B/E Aerospace Innovator 2 coach seats.

Chugach wrote:
Supposed to be getting an interior refurbish next year.
All but one of the -700's are scheduled to be done this year. The first is undergoing the mod right now.

seabosdca wrote:

roadrunner165 wrote:
If you fly coach, beware what you wish for.

BoeingGuy

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 pm

Chugach wrote:
Newbiepilot wrote:

AS launches 738’s daily across the pacific from LIH, which is 6,500 feet. Little short hops in Alaska aren’t an issue for the 738.

739 is a different story. Notorious runway pig, and the ramps at a few of the smaller stations (PSG and WRG for example) aren’t big enough to handle it. It’ll show up in SIT occasionally but has to be weight restricted on departure.

AS launches the 738 out of SNA’s 5700 foot runway to SEA. AA does so to ORD. UA does so to IAH.

As others have noted, nothing in Alaska would be a problem for the 738 other than DUT.

32andBelow

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:36 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
What’s the history of the -700 at Alaska and why do they have so few? Did/do you they serve a niche within their network?

They turned 4 I think into freighters and I think sold a couple

452QX

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:49 pm

32andBelow wrote:
airplaneboy wrote:

They turned 4 I think into freighters and I think sold a couple

*3 freighters, 625-627

the 700s were the first NGs to enter the fleet. 8 of them now fly for other airlines (including 3 now at southwest)

seabosdca

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:17 pm

yeelep wrote:
If you fly coach, beware what you wish for.

For some reason the old seats don't fit my body well at all, and I find the new ones much more comfortable even though they're slimmer. My back was very glad when I stopped seeing -800s with the old seats on transcons.

32andBelow

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:19 pm

The old coach seats that were on the 400s were so much comfier.

packmedic

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
LAXBUR wrote:

In the face of Mint, any chance that they'll reconsider a more premium F cabin on some frames? Seems like this otherwise amazing new interior may not be quite as competitive on the transcon routes. Call it "Northern Lights" or "Northwoods" or "Denali" or "Coastal" or something catchy, have an upgraded cabin and menu, and kick some transcontinental ass.

Just one guy's dream.

Management has repeatedly said that this will not happen, as having a dedicated sub-fleet would be prohibitively expensive, and would limit scheduling flexibility in the event of an equipment swap

chrisair wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Wait, you sure? Everything I’ve seen come out of the PR machine says the new first class seats are going fleet wide with leg rests, more pitch, along with all the other stuff you mentioned.

Did something change?

Nothing changed. The upgrades have always been for Airbus and 737-700s with the outdated/OAL interior. They are currently working on the business case for the -8/900s
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A359 A388 AT72 B717 B733 B734 B734C B735 B73G B738 B739 B744 B752 B764 B772 B789 B78X CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8D E135 E140 E145 E170 E175 E190 MD80 MD90

PlanesNTrains

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:59 pm

packmedic wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Just one guy's dream.

Management has repeatedly said that this will not happen, as having a dedicated sub-fleet would be prohibitively expensive, and would limit scheduling flexibility in the event of an equipment swap

chrisair wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

Did something change?

Nothing changed. The upgrades have always been for Airbus and 737-700s with the outdated/OAL interior. They are currently working on the business case for the -8/900s

It'll be interesting to see how that pans out long term.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

LAXBUR

Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:55 pm

I have to say I think Alaska is right not to go all out with a lie flat seat. Next economic downturn folks like jetBlue and AA will have a front third or more of the aircraft dedicated to premium. If they price their first class right (which it appears they do), it can be a competitive alternative to lie flat options. Lie flats are mostly advantageous for red-eye transcons which are only a small fraction of Alaska's flights.

PlanesNTrains

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 am

LAXBUR wrote:
I have to say I think Alaska is right not to go all out with a lie flat seat. Next economic downturn folks like jetBlue and AA will have a front third or more of the aircraft dedicated to premium. If they price their first class right (which it appears they do), it can be a competitive alternative to lie flat options. Lie flats are mostly advantageous for red-eye transcons which are only a small fraction of Alaska's flights.

I don’t disagree but the numbers aren’t looking great for them when up against better options. When the economy turns south, things will change but I’m not sure if that’ll necessarily improve AS’ numbers.

To add, what has worked in SEA may not be what works in California. They had the benefit of being the hometown carrier in SEA but that’s not the case for many of their transcon cities.
-Dave

UA444

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:02 am

Kaphias wrote:
b773 wrote:

I saw it in Gustavus over the summer. Lots of 73Gs still in Alaska.

I flew on this plane in July from SEA-ANC. Even had to turn back to the gate while on the taxiway due to sick passenger.

friendlyskies22

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:45 am

also, don't think any of the few AS 700's are ETOPS, so you won't see them flying west from CA/OR/WA, altho
that's one of the only acft that could do SNA-Hawaii (except maybe the UA/DL/AA 752).

usxguy

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:55 am

While the -800 & -900s do have the same avionics as the -700s, I found out from friends at Alaska *here* in Juneau that the 700s are preferred in the winter here due to the extremes of weather that is called Southeast Alaska. the plane has better crosswind abilities, its OVERpowered, can climb faster, and just overall better performance compared to the -800 in terms of completion abilities when you couple in the 100 mph+ winds, the mountains, the icing, etc.
xx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos