qf789
Topic Author

Qatar Airways CEO threatens withdrawal from OneWorld Alliance

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 am

Qatar Airways CEO has said they will pull out of the OneWorld Alliance if certain partner airlines, namely American Airlines and Qantas continue with unfounded accusations and blocking tactics

On American Airlines

But I don’t think that is any more the spirit of the alliance, especially since American Airlines is continuously targeting Qatar Airways, slandering Qatar Airways, giving misinformation to the US government about Qatar Airways. And now it is targeting our investment in Air Italy at very high level government interaction, claiming that we are cheating on the open-skies agreement that we signed with the US government.”
Asked abut the situation a spokesperson for the US carrier says: “American is a founding member of Oneworld and we hope the alliance’s membership remains intact."

On Qantas

Al Baker is also unhappy with Qantas’s behaviour, which has an extensive tie-up with Gulf rival Emirates while its relationship with Qatar is “trivial”, he says. “And it is blocking us getting rights into Australia. So what is the point of us being in this alliance if it is only in the interest of a few and the interest of the rest is compromised?”

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... dr-452491/

Could be interesting to watch!
Forum Moderator

gatibosgru

Re: Qatar Airways CEO threatens withdrawal from OneWorld Alliance

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:21 am

Makes sense. If QR will be treated differently from other airlines due to political reasons it makes no sense for them to continue under OW or any other alliance.
@DadCelo

Antarius

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:48 am

AAB does this once a year. Just a temper tantrum that he will get over.

AA has a tie up with EY and QR with B6. Just the nature of the business these days.
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

Airlines0613

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:00 am

No, AA lacks any tie ups with any Gulf carrier.

sierra3tango

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:07 am

Airlines0613 wrote:
AA?

Thought GF has a code sharing agreement with AA?

master14225

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:09 am

Honestly the only US partner airlines that never causes problems is either B6 or AS. If maybe they did additional US demand traffic through Canadian hubs by partnering with either AC or WS, then they would probably increase QR more landing rights into Canada to meet extra US traffic demand. AS or WS would benefit a lot from QR pax traffic into their hubs transferring onto their flights to the US and this just leaves AA as the sore loser.

Antarius

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 am

Airlines0613 wrote:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-prog ... rlines.jsp

Etihad is right there . So, yes they do.
Last edited by Antarius on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

stl07

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 am

sierra3tango wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
AA?

I think that ended

Antarius

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:12 am

stl07 wrote:
sierra3tango wrote:
Airlines0613 wrote:
AA?

I think that ended

Yes. It ended April 30th, 2018.

AA still allows earning and redeeming miles on Etihad though.

StudiodeKadent

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:54 am

The Qantas/Emirates partnership has been wound back over time, with QF returning to Singapore, plus Project Sunrise on the horizon offering longhaul flights ex-Australia to Europe (and of course Perth already has the PER - LHR route). I don't see why QF wouldn't, after Project Sunrise and perhaps some expansion ex. PER, end the arrangement with Emirates and use Qatar for the low-yield connecting traffic to secondary European cities instead. Unless they specifically want coverage of Dubai too (given Dubai's tourism and finance horsepower), Qatar would probably be a better choice from QF's perspective.

sholmes

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:23 am

I think it's normal that airlines, even if formally allied, may have conflicting interests sometimes (see LH and TK for instance). Probably AA and QR will never be "close friends", but it's part of the game, and AAB likes his voice to be heard. I don't think he really intends quitting OW.

smi0006

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:30 am

Ahhh yes best way to work with your partners, publicly slag them off and threaten to walk away. Certainly not how I’d operate.... the man has no leadership simply realise on hierarchy- he’ll learn the hard way AA and QF won’t cave. He thinks they were blockers before this statement... wait until now.

sibibom

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:32 am

I bet my gold-plated Rolls Royce he will do nothing. Dogs that bark seldom bite.

vhtje

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:36 am

StudiodeKadent wrote:
The Qantas/Emirates partnership has been wound back over time, with QF returning to Singapore, plus Project Sunrise on the horizon offering longhaul flights ex-Australia to Europe (and of course Perth already has the PER - LHR route). I don't see why QF wouldn't, after Project Sunrise and perhaps some expansion ex. PER, end the arrangement with Emirates and use Qatar for the low-yield connecting traffic to secondary European cities instead. Unless they specifically want coverage of Dubai too (given Dubai's tourism and finance horsepower), Qatar would probably be a better choice from QF's perspective.

Not so fast. You are completely ignoring the extensive revenue sharing arrangements in place between QF and EK and which both have stated have worked well for them. The reality is that the arrangement with EK contributes greatly to QF’s finances. QF will not walk away from that.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

StudiodeKadent

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:00 am

vhtje wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:

Not so fast. You are completely ignoring the extensive revenue sharing arrangements in place between QF and EK and which both have stated have worked well for them. The reality is that the arrangement with EK contributes greatly to QF’s finances. QF will not walk away from that.

I didn't know about the revenue-sharing. That certainly makes the QF/EK relationship much tighter.

qf002

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:22 am

What incentive is there for QF to clear the way for major growth of a competitor? Why should AA set aside its financial interests to further QR's ambitions? I think it's hard to argue that partnering with QR is the best outcome in either of these examples.

In any case, I doubt there would be too many tears if QR did end up walking away (which we all know they won't). Airlines like QF and AA only supported QR's entry as a courtesy to BA.

KICT

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 am

I see he's having his annual conniption fit...

vhqpa

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:43 am

I doubt Alan Joyce and Doug Parker would lose any sleep if QR up and left Oneworld.

I wasn't aware QF a private entity was blocking QR access to Australia. Last time I checked the Australian government decided when they want to renegotiate bilaterals, not Qantas.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

AirbusA322

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:54 am

QR probably is better suited to Virgin but really depends on its future with EY.

Even if EY pulled its Virgin stake it would still want to maintain that comprehensive codeshare they have.

Amsterdam

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:01 am

Air Italy is Qatar Europe

sholmes

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:06 am

vhqpa wrote:
I wasn't aware QF a private entity was blocking QR access to Australia. Last time I checked the Australian government decided when they want to renegotiate bilaterals, not Qantas.

You should follow AAB's thinking here: QR = Qatar, hence QF = Australia (and AA = United States). The concept of an airline that is independent from the government of its State of incorporation (and vice versa) is alien to AAB.

LAXLHR

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:22 am

Think of the tens of millions QR pulls in from BA's North America BA/AA JV neutral metal tie up. He can still quietly laugh over that. Think on it for a minute.
BA JM EA GK PA VS AA SN HP CO W7 WN NW DL QQ UA AC US LH LX OS JL QF QR PG MH CX U2 EK 9W UK TP VY VN PC LO OK OZ UL SQ LA

707 727 L10 732-NG 741 742 743 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 787 DC8 DC9 DC10 M80 M11 100 AB3 310 318 319 320 321 332 333 342 343 380

IndianicWorld

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:43 am

QF still pulls a fair bit of political clout though, so it may well have a voice in the ear of some policy makers in terms of bi-lateral negotiations.

At the end of the day though, the pure scale of the amount of rights for UAE carriers compared to Qatar is very interesting to see. The bilateral for UAE-Australia is very generous, but it’s hard to see the Australian government coming to the table to offer a significant boost. Maybe some incremental upgrades over time, but it will all depend what Qatar bring to the table I guess.

The alliances aren’t going to make everyone friends, but they are offer significant benefits to many carriers in terms of global reach and frequent flyer value. If QR leaves OW, it could hurt them more than QF or AA, given their existing relationships cover their own needs. Whether QR would be able to claim the same without OW, that’s another matter.

MaverickM11

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:40 pm

sibibom wrote:
I bet my gold-plated Rolls Royce he will do nothing. Dogs that bark seldom bite.

He doesn’t really have much leverage. What would oneworld miss with QR out of the alliance? Not much...
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E pur si muove -Galileo

PM

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm the last one to defend Al Baker but I fly QR whenever I can and largely tend to avoid other OW carriers. I certainly won't fly in BA's (so-called) Business Class.

So who needs whom here? Quality or quantity? Would Joyce and Parker (and WW?) care if QR walked? I think they should.

I've been flying commercially for 50+ years. (I just logged my 101st airline.) BA and AA are not what they once were. QR is what BA and AA never were. And never will be, I suspect. AA are Aldi. BA are Lidl. (Not sure how to finish this analogy...!)

9w748capt

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 pm

PM wrote:
I'm the last one to defend Al Baker but I fly QR whenever I can and largely tend to avoid other OW carriers. I certainly won't fly in BA's (so-called) Business Class.

So who needs whom here? Quality or quantity? Would Joyce and Parker (and WW?) care if QR walked? I think they should.

I've been flying commercially for 50+ years. (I just logged my 101st airline.) BA and AA are not what they once were. QR is what BA and AA never were. And never will be, I suspect. AA are Aldi. BA are Lidl. (Not sure how to finish this analogy...!)

Dougie would be ecstatic if QR left - that way AA members could no longer earn/redeem AA pesos on QR and making AAdvantage even more worthless than it is today! Sounds like a dream come true for Dougie.

global1

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:48 pm

Interesting how we've moving on from 'Skypesos" to " AA pesos".

Of course AS and B6 don't cause any trouble. EK, QR, and the like are their pimps. Their route systems are so limited that if their frequent flyers couldn't go anywhere but Portland, NY-FLL, or the occasional Hawaii or Mexico run, their ranks would be decimated.

wenders825

Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:38 pm

empty threat considering all of the recent tie up with IAG and LATAM

evanb

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm

It's quite simple: alliances are mostly irrelevant to airlines with JVs. Other alliance members know this but are generally powerless in pressing to get more from the alliances. QR is the only one that is big enough and powerful enough to push to get more from alliances outside of JVs.

NZ321

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

They could start a new alliance....
Plane mad!

offloaded

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:38 pm

Antarius wrote:
stl07 wrote:
sierra3tango wrote:
AA?

I think that ended

The GF codeshare is still ongoing, e.g. BAH to IAH
1 BAH LHR 0230 0635 GF 7
2 ORD 0840 1130 GF6687
OPERATED BY AMERICAN AIRLINES
3 IAH 1255 1538 GF6593

4 BAH LHR 0230 0635 GF 7
5 DFW 0930 1400 GF6651
6 IAH 1630 1738 GF4316
To no one will we sell, or deny, or delay, right or justice - Magna Carta, 1215

sholmes

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:50 pm

NZ321 wrote:
They could start a new alliance....

QR would just have to convince a few major airlines to leave their current alliance in favour of a new alliance that would be at QR’s mercy: not the easiest of tasks. Alternatively, QR could form a new alliance with IG and similar (insignificant) airlines.

enilria

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Amsterdam wrote:

Air Italy is majority owned by Europeans. If you don't like foreign entities owning 49% of a European carrier that is an issue between the EU and the USA, not Qatar and the USA. What Qatar has done is completely legal and lawful. Delta owns 49% of AeroMexico. Should AeroMexico's international route authorities be stripped because they are a de facto U.S. carrier? I don't see a difference.

Amsterdam

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:06 pm

enilria wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Air Italy is majority owned by Europeans. If you don't like foreign entities owning 49% of a European carrier that is an issue between the EU and the USA, not Qatar and the USA. What Qatar has done is completely legal and lawful. Delta owns 49% of AeroMexico. Should AeroMexico's international route authorities be stripped because they are a de facto U.S. carrier? I don't see a difference.

The american government doesnt own Delta. Thats the difference.

If the american government owned delta and delta wasnt allowed to fly from mexico to the eu then yes you would have the same situation with them letting a mexican company do the flying for them.

ramzi

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 pm

wenders825 wrote:
empty threat considering all of the recent tie up with IAG and LATAM

That's the interesting part. Didn't QR just recently try to buy a 10% stake in AA too? They're probably not too happy it didn't work out.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

Varsity1

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:20 pm

Qatar has more to lose by being outside OW than AA does with QR outside OW.

I could see OW using the chance to get EK in the alliance, a much better (and stronger) partner.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Antarius

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:21 pm

offloaded wrote:
Antarius wrote:
stl07 wrote:
I think that ended

The GF codeshare is still ongoing, e.g. BAH to IAH
1 BAH LHR 0230 0635 GF 7
2 ORD 0840 1130 GF6687
3 IAH 1255 1538 GF6593

4 BAH LHR 0230 0635 GF 7
5 DFW 0930 1400 GF6651
6 IAH 1630 1738 GF4316

Thank you. I stand corrected. What they ended was ability to earn miles, it looks like.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/par ... lf-air.jsp

evanb

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:38 pm

enilria wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

And Delta owns 49% of Virgin Atlantic. Air France-KLM own 31%. In turn, Delta own 8.8% of Air France-KLM ...

enilria

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:22 pm

Amsterdam wrote:
enilria wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

The american government doesnt own Delta. Thats the difference.

If the american government owned delta and delta wasnt allowed to fly from mexico to the eu then yes you would have the same situation with them letting a mexican company do the flying for them.

Delta isn't allowed to fly from Mexico to the EU. (???)

Ownership by a government is not a factor in any international air service bilateral I am aware of. You know why? Because outside the USA (where all the airports except Branson, MO are owned by the govt), half of the world's air capacity is operated by airlines fully or partially owned by the govt.

If you are demanding that airlines not be owned by governments, then you might start with demanding that airports not be owned by governments because the USA is one of the worst on that score. Even Russian airports are privatized.

lightsaber

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm

This thread has been far more interesting than a normal AAB related thread.

Qantas is trying to bypass Emirates to maximize profit. So what? Every airline must constantly work towards that goal. If anyone complains, it should be BA. But Qantas had to work with EK IMHO.

The reality is, QR isn't a good partner for either AA or Qantas. I'm shocked CX didn't make the hit list.

[twoid][/twoid]
sholmes wrote:
I think it's normal that airlines, even if formally allied, may have conflicting interests sometimes (see LH and TK for instance). Probably AA and QR will never be "close friends", but it's part of the game, and AAB likes his voice to be heard. I don't think he really intends quitting OW.

Every alliance has members who are not really integrated.

AA/Qantas/Cathay in One world.
Singapore in star
Korean/Delta in Skyteam

EK/Qantas has been to tremendous benefit to both partners.

I'm curious, does Qatar think Skyteam or Star would be better,? :no:

Lightsaber
You only have the first amendment with the 2nd. If you're not going to offend someone with what you say, you don't have the 1st.

J343

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 pm

lightsaber wrote:
This thread has been far more interesting than a normal AAB related thread.

Qantas is trying to bypass Emirates to maximize profit. So what? Every airline must constantly work towards that goal. If anyone complains, it should be BA. But Qantas had to work with EK IMHO.

The reality is, QR isn't a good partner for either AA or Qantas. I'm shocked CX didn't make the hit list.

[twoid][/twoid]
sholmes wrote:

Every alliance has members who are not really integrated.

AA/Qantas/Cathay in One world.
Singapore in star
Korean/Delta in Skyteam

EK/Qantas has been to tremendous benefit to both partners.

I'm curious, does Qatar think Skyteam or Star would be better,? :no:

Lightsaber

AA/Qantas/Cathay are not integrated in their respective alliance? I would have thought they are the most active within oneworld alongside JL and BA. These carriers have extensive codeshares (AA+QF, QF+JL, CX+JL, CX+AA, JL+AA, BA+JL, AA+BA and recently CX+QF) If ever, I would say UL, MH and RJ are not very integrated in oneworld and are barely active. But please correct me if I am wrong :)
A319 A320 A321 A330 A340 A380 B737 B767 B787 B777 B747

CX O8 IB BA KL AA KE SQ TK AB

LHR LGW CDG MAD AGP VIE JFK MCO MNL HKG FCO TXL CPH IAH SFO OSL LAX AMS IST

evanb

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 pm

J343 wrote:
AA/Qantas/Cathay are not integrated in their respective alliance? I would have thought they are the most active within oneworld alongside JL and BA. These carriers have extensive codeshares (AA+QF, QF+JL, CX+JL, CX+AA, JL+AA, BA+JL, AA+BA and recently CX+QF) If ever, I would say UL, MH and RJ are not very integrated in oneworld and are barely active. But please correct me if I am wrong :)

AA+QF=JV
AA+JL=JV
BA+IB+AA+AY=JV
AA+LA=JV
BA+IB+LA=JV

Other than that, it's just a hodgepodge of codeshares, which are not that different to individual airline relationships with non-OneWorld members. For example, CX's relationships with AC, CA or LH, or QF's relationships with NZ or EK.

Amsterdam

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:37 pm

KLM just started codeshare via SIN with Quantas

Everything happens

downdata

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 pm

vhqpa wrote:
I doubt Alan Joyce and Doug Parker would lose any sleep if QR up and left Oneworld.

Sure and you would believe Exxon has absolutely nothing to do with the energy policies in the US. Its called lobbying. Airlines spent 90 US million on it last year. QF have chairman’s lounges for a reason.

HELyes

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:26 am

evanb wrote:
J343 wrote:

AA+QF=JV
AA+JL=JV
BA+IB+AA+AY=JV
AA+LA=JV
BA+IB+LA=JV

Other than that, it's just a hodgepodge of codeshares, which are not that different to individual airline relationships with non-OneWorld members. For example, CX's relationships with AC, CA or LH, or QF's relationships with NZ or EK.

Also the Siberian JV between Europe and Japan: AY+BA+IB+JL

evanb

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:25 pm

HELyes wrote:
evanb wrote:
J343 wrote:

AA+QF=JV
AA+JL=JV
BA+IB+AA+AY=JV
AA+LA=JV
BA+IB+LA=JV

Also the Siberian JV between Europe and Japan: AY+BA+IB+JL

Forgot about that one. And it buttresses the point. Once alliance members get embedded in JVs the rest of the alliance gets pretty irrelevant to them very quickly and becomes a hodgepodge of limited code shares that would be equally available to non-members. That significantly weakens the alliances and reduces the value for all members that are not able to access JVs for issues ranging from scale, sophistication to politics.

B747forever

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:16 pm

Amsterdam wrote:

Everything happens

Like misspelling QANTAS ;)
Work Hard, Fly Right

lutfi

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:14 am

PM wrote:

But you just said that yiou don't fly AA and BA. So if QR is in OW alliance or not, makes no difference to their revenue from you.

Quantity vs quality depends on the needs of the market - and when it comes to business travel, quantity has quality in itself (frequency & schedule drive most choice of business travel)

Amsterdam

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:33 am

B747forever wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Everything happens

Haha

Everything happens

admanager

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:56 am

Amsterdam wrote:
B747forever wrote:
Amsterdam wrote:

Everything happens

Haha

Everything happens

You won't see Saudia and Qatar in the same alliance. So SkyTeam is not an option for Qatar.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos