qf789
Topic Author

Scoot 787-9 suffers from an engine failure while on approach to Perth

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:56 am

Last night a Scoot 787-9 (reg 9V-OJE) operating TR16 SIN-PER while descending into Perth the right engine suffered from an uncommanded shutdown.

An emergency was declared with emergency equipment meeting the 787-9 upon arrival. Passengers on the outbound TR17 PER-SIN have been reaccommodated on other flights, presumably on SQ flights

The ATSB are currently investigating the incident

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/sco ... ach-perth/
Forum Moderator

FrenchPotatoEye

Re: Scoot 787-9 suffers from an engine failure while on approach to Perth

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:32 am

I can't see how Boeing would want to entertain RR fo the planned 797. They have been as bad a Pratt lately, who also frankly do not deserve a shout either.

But RR is having no luck or getting a break. While that's not nice, their engineering failures cut them no slack really. Whatever RR is forecasting for costs, it's not going to be enough.

Carmitage

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:25 am

I heard (from an admittedly non-unbiased source) that the GEnx has suffered as much (Ethiopia having over 200 engine removals on their 10 or so 787s over 4 years). However, GE has been much better at a) supplying spare engines; b) keeping it quiet/out of the public eye and c) many of these problems were solved in the hanger, so didn't count technically as an engine removal (even though the engine had been taken off the wing, it wasn't replaced). Fan scrapes and combustor liners being the main issues.

jayunited

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Carmitage wrote:
I heard (from an admittedly non-unbiased source) that the GEnx has suffered as much (Ethiopia having over 200 engine removals on their 10 or so 787s over 4 years). However, GE has been much better at a) supplying spare engines; b) keeping it quiet/out of the public eye and c) many of these problems were solved in the hanger, so didn't count technically as an engine removal (even though the engine had been taken off the wing, it wasn't replaced). Fan scrapes and combustor liners being the main issues.

This makes me question their maintenance program not the engine. Both AA and UA have GEnx engines on our 787's and UA at least ( and I think AA) hasn't experience anything close to what you are describing over at Ethiopian Airlines, 200 engine removals on just 10 aircraft in 4 years is a lot. But it really makes me question what type of maintenance and upkeep are they performing on these engines to keep them running in tip top shape? If there really is a major issue with the GEnx engine then not only has GE gone to great lengths to keep it quite the airlines themselves are in on it as well because as an insider I haven't heard or read any internal report signifying any major issues with the GEnx engines on UA's 787s

trex8

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

jayunited wrote:
Carmitage wrote:

This makes me question their maintenance program not the engine. Both AA and UA have GEnx engines on our 787's and UA at least ( and I think AA) hasn't experience anything close to what you are describing over at Ethiopian Airlines, 200 engine removals on just 10 aircraft in 4 years is a lot. But it really makes me question what type of maintenance and upkeep are they performing on these engines to keep them running in tip top shape? If there really is a major issue with the GEnx engine then not only has GE gone to great lengths to keep it quite the airlines themselves are in on it as well because as an insider I haven't heard or read any internal report signifying any major issues with the GEnx engines on UA's 787s

Does ET use Rolls Total Care? And what Total care package?

Channex757

Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 pm

An uncommanded rollback event is likely to be a computer issue. The GE90-115 had the same issue but fleetwide early in its career, and all airlines using GE90s were told to only use full power on takeoff which is where the rollbacks happened. It was a software issue.

If a Trent 1000 shut down and didn't auto-relight then it sounds to me like a fault on the FADEC system. Failure of the engine itself would have thrown up all sorts of error messages.

CWizard

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Channex757 wrote:
......It was a software issue......

microsoft software?
:D

Mountainerd

Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:38 pm

CWizard wrote:
Channex757 wrote:
......It was a software issue......

microsoft software?
:D

I would joke that maybe they should try restarting but from the sounds of it, the aircraft did the first part of that on its own.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos