Boeingphan

Re: Delta’s new A220 narrowbody coming on sale for January debut

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:26 pm

JAMBO i know for a fact I was in United Y in 30'' and it was brutal. 737-800. Seatguru says most 737-8 all show 30'' so take it for what its worth but you were sure they wouldn't touch 30'' and in fact they do all day long.

SteelChair

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Airplanes are certified, but an airline in the US also has to obtain approval to operate. These approvals are granted by the issuance of Operations Specifications.

Operations Specifications "prescribe the authorizations and limitations under which each operation must occur." (Thats a close approximation of the language).

In short, an airline operating under CFR Part 121 must list every airplane, the cities to which it will fly, the procedures that it will use (what types of approaches for example), the minimums for takeoff and landing, enroute authorization and much more. The airline must list its operational management personnel and obtain approval for its training programs and other programs (maintenance programs, ETOPS, carry-on bags, deicing, weight and balance, etc).

These Operations Specifications are issued by the FAA office that oversees Delta's Operating Certificate, called the Delta Certificate Management Office (CMO). Every airline has a CMO. The CMO coordinates with FAA headquarters prior to granting many approvals. I can only assume that some parts of the CMO and/or FAA HQ must be closed or operating with reduced staff, therefore slowing down the operational approval process.

Edit: this post was in response to the posts about EIS possibly being delayed.

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:53 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
tlecam wrote:
Looks like the January dates could be at risk due to the government shutdown:

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... -l-454800/

How did FAA not already do that? DL has had the A220 since October

Its covered in the article:
The FAA's process of adding aircraft types to operating certificates involves a review of a carrier's ability to operate the type safety. Inspectors ensure pilots have completed approved training programmes and that airlines have adequate maintenance support, Goglia says. The FAA also ensures the aircraft carry all required safety equipment.

Though much paperwork is involved, the process culminates with a physical aircraft inspection by FAA officials, he says. They "open everything up and spot check" to ensure the aircraft meets the FAA's requirements.

AFAIK, They're allowed to own the planes and start to do hands on work with them, but they're not allowed to put passengers on them until the FAA has finished their work.

I'm saying why were they so far behind on this process to begin with, considering DL is supposed to start flying in less than a month. I'll admit I know little about this process, but I would have thought this process would have been completed before the government shutdown. I mean, does it take 2 months to do all that? I would think 2 months would be a reasonable amount of time to do inspections, paperwork, e.t.c
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

DUSZRH

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Aren't the carry on luggage bins relatively large on the A220 compared to other aircraft? That would be a major upgrade in passenger ease of travel. Every flight I've been on lately overflows the overhead luggage bins. Super annoying to have to fight people for space.

The left sides features a similar size of bins as the 737-Sky interior. On the right side the bin fits the carry-ons on their small side (Most people don't know that, even some FAs told me on LX that it won't fit, and were surprised when it did). Thus you have more space than in a 737/320 while only seating 5 per row.

lightsaber

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:07 pm

DUSZRH wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
Aren't the carry on luggage bins relatively large on the A220 compared to other aircraft? That would be a major upgrade in passenger ease of travel. Every flight I've been on lately overflows the overhead luggage bins. Super annoying to have to fight people for space.

The left sides features a similar size of bins as the 737-Sky interior. On the right side the bin fits the carry-ons on their small side (Most people don't know that, even some FAs told me on LX that it won't fit, and were surprised when it did). Thus you have more space than in a 737/320 while only seating 5 per row.

Yeah! Until you realize the 737/320 lack enough space. Is 20% (ish) more per passenger enough with DL's pitch?

I miss included luggage. Oh well, the market gets what it demands.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Texan101

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Skywatcher wrote:

Yes they are, flown the C series/A220 with LX over here in Europe and that was the first thing that caught my attention first time getting on one. Amazing aircraft from a pax perspective, I go out of my way when flying LX to book the A220 over the A320 Family. Really is a great aircraft. Hoping what the 787 did for thin long haul routes the A220 can do for domestic routes in the States.

USAirKid

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:22 am

Midwestindy wrote:
I'm saying why were they so far behind on this process to begin with, considering DL is supposed to start flying in less than a month. I'll admit I know little about this process, but I would have thought this process would have been completed before the government shutdown. I mean, does it take 2 months to do all that? I would think 2 months would be a reasonable amount of time to do inspections, paperwork, e.t.c

Also covered in the article:

The process can be lengthy even when the government is open, and sometimes wraps up only shortly before an aircraft is scheduled enter service, says John Goglia, a former National Transportation Safety Board member who now helps aircraft operators navigate the process of placing new aircraft types into service.

Apparently DL's timing on the A220 is par for the course.

PlymSpotter

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Looks like something may have changed with their plans to operate on the LGA-BOS shuttle. The A220 had been showing every 4 hours or so in early March, until today when I went to book it, and now I can only see it on one flight early in the morning.

Have they switched it to somewhere else, or is there a lack of aircraft?
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

SteelChair

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:03 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:

How did FAA not already do that? DL has had the A220 since October

Its covered in the article:
The FAA's process of adding aircraft types to operating certificates involves a review of a carrier's ability to operate the type safety. Inspectors ensure pilots have completed approved training programmes and that airlines have adequate maintenance support, Goglia says. The FAA also ensures the aircraft carry all required safety equipment.

Though much paperwork is involved, the process culminates with a physical aircraft inspection by FAA officials, he says. They "open everything up and spot check" to ensure the aircraft meets the FAA's requirements.

AFAIK, They're allowed to own the planes and start to do hands on work with them, but they're not allowed to put passengers on them until the FAA has finished their work.

Ummmm.....youre dealing with the Federal Government here......lots of jobs and budgets have to be justified. Sacred cows everywhere.

After all, there is next years allocation to think about!

Jgsushi

Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:49 am

Delta is showing AVL-DTW service on the A220 beginning in June
Lmao the A220's engines (PW1500G) at low thrust levels sound like Chewbacca

TW870

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:07 am

Jgsushi wrote:
Delta is showing AVL-DTW service on the A220 beginning in June

I only see a CR2 on Saturdays only in the summer. I saw that odd routing on flightradar24 showing that 8106 went into AVL recently, but I think that was wrong. Flightaware shows that it hasn't moved since it arrived at ATL from Mirabel on the 22nd of Feb.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos