Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nomadd

Re: WOW Air Axes JFK and DFW Routes: is Their Model Failing?

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:06 pm

They better last two more weeks. I need to get home.

FCOTSTW
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Nomadd wrote:
They better last two more weeks. I need to get home.

Coolest post of the whole topic.

spinkid

Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:08 pm

If WOW does end up going under. Might we see Norwegian pick up some of the slack?

They currently serve KEF to BGO, OSL, ARN, FCO, BCN, ALC and MAD, so they could certainly replace some of WOW's European destinations, but what about North America? They absolutely should pick up some of WOW's better performing routes, and I'd love to see them add SWF to KEF..

For SWF, it certainly adds more connecting opportunities. as many of the others they serve directly from JFK.

NWADTWE16

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:20 am

I don't buy that WW is going under. I think they are doing the opposite, and what the almighty armchair CEO board of ANET always says is what carriers should do. They are reviewing their routes wisely and cutting those that aren't meeting expectations. They are adding some new endeavors , one of which could change the entire landscape US-INDIA, so pulling back a bit and focusing on what they have, allowing that to mature, and connecting the dots to their network, especially the new DEL route makes complete sense. If JFK/SFO and/or DFW come back next year for summer, that would make sense, but we shall see.

Always people knock carriers and wish the end, whether by merger, or bankruptcy. It's truly a mental condition in here. I personally know a lot of people who have flown WW and they all bought again already for sometime in the next 4-8 months. It was the freedom they needed to explore wanderlust, and wanderlust is global phenomenon rapidly ascending again after many decades of less achievable access.
I will also add those same people are not first time flyers, they have seen other airlines planes, they have seen new DL planes, their response to WW was that the staff from gate to final destination was very friendly and excited about the carrier, and that the plane was "brand new"

Now we all know more than them, but that's WW clientele, at least from DTW and SFO and gives some idea of how WW is winning and what the perception is.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

usflyer msp

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:02 am

NWADTWE16 wrote:
I don't buy that WW is going under. I think they are doing the opposite, and what the almighty armchair CEO board of ANET always says is what carriers should do. They are reviewing their routes wisely and cutting those that aren't meeting expectations. They are adding some new endeavors , one of which could change the entire landscape US-INDIA, so pulling back a bit and focusing on what they have, allowing that to mature, and connecting the dots to their network, especially the new DEL route makes complete sense. If JFK/SFO and/or DFW come back next year for summer, that would make sense, but we shall see.

Always people knock carriers and wish the end, whether by merger, or bankruptcy. It's truly a mental condition in here. I personally know a lot of people who have flown WW and they all bought again already for sometime in the next 4-8 months. It was the freedom they needed to explore wanderlust, and wanderlust is global phenomenon rapidly ascending again after many decades of less achievable access.
I will also add those same people are not first time flyers, they have seen other airlines planes, they have seen new DL planes, their response to WW was that the staff from gate to final destination was very friendly and excited about the carrier, and that the plane was "brand new"

Now we all know more than them, but that's WW clientele, at least from DTW and SFO and gives some idea of how WW is winning and what the perception is.

I think this an overly optimistic view of WW's future. By their own admission India is not going very well (they just cut capacity by 40% for January) plus fuel prices are rising and they really have no plan to compensate for that.

BML87

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:07 am

I've heard rumblings of WOW starting YEG, that could be the new route. They also said "North America" not US specifically.

cedarjet

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:20 am

tphuang wrote:
Let’s not lump the two airlines together. There is no proof that fi has any financial issues.

Agreed and nor are Wow competing with Icelandair; no one is flying from Dallas or Cincinnati to Keflavik. Wow is competing with Delta, Virgin Atlantic, American, BA, Lufty, El Al, United et al. They’re not carrying much O&D. Would be amazed if 10% of their pax end their journeys in Iceland.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

klm672

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:54 am

I wonder if AA will pull out of this route as well. Seems its always delayed leaving DFW.

Bobloblaw

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:53 am

spinkid wrote:
If WOW does end up going under. Might we see Norwegian pick up some of the slack?

They currently serve KEF to BGO, OSL, ARN, FCO, BCN, ALC and MAD, so they could certainly replace some of WOW's European destinations, but what about North America? They absolutely should pick up some of WOW's better performing routes, and I'd love to see them add SWF to KEF..

For SWF, it certainly adds more connecting opportunities. as many of the others they serve directly from JFK.

There is no slack to pick up. That is the problem. WOW can generate traffic but likely not at fares that are profitable. There is an attitude at A.net that if an airline fails, another carrier should come in and fill it. Maybe the excess capacity should just go away.

Bobloblaw

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:59 am

cedarjet wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Let’s not lump the two airlines together. There is no proof that fi has any financial issues.

Agreed and nor are Wow competing with Icelandair; no one is flying from Dallas or Cincinnati to Keflavik. Wow is competing with Delta, Virgin Atlantic, American, BA, Lufty, El Al, United et al. They’re not carrying much O&D. Would be amazed if 10% of their pax end their journeys in Iceland.

Yes WoW is competing with icelandair more so than the other carriers you mentioned. I don’t know that the local/connect component is but if it is only 10% local that might be part of the problem. Trying to make money on ulcc connect fares is not likely to be profitable ie frontier in DEN.

mjoelnir

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:19 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
spinkid wrote:

There is no slack to pick up. That is the problem. WOW can generate traffic but likely not at fares that are profitable. There is an attitude at A.net that if an airline fails, another carrier should come in and fill it. Maybe the excess capacity should just go away.

WOW is closing down JFK while keeping EWR. For most other airlines it would be called a smart move, cutting cost. Furthermore the EWR flights are upgauged. I would say this move does not say anything about if WOW is likely to go under or not.

If WOW should go under, the airline that would profit the most, would be Icelandair. They are in the best position to profit from a possible demise of WOW, loosing their main competitor.

flyPIT

Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:47 pm

PITingres wrote:
I can't speak to all routes, but for PIT at least, Iceland tourism has relatively little to do with it.

Disagree; O&D between PIT and KEF has expanded exponentially since WW started service. Most people I know that have flown WW were going to Iceland.
FLYi

MIflyer12

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:42 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:

Post of the day. Trying to stimulate big TATL demand for connections out of STL was always going to be tough -- it ain't NYC. Going against AA at DFW was predictably tough.

PITingres

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 pm

flyPIT wrote:
PITingres wrote:
I can't speak to all routes, but for PIT at least, Iceland tourism has relatively little to do with it.

Disagree; O&D between PIT and KEF has expanded exponentially since WW started service. Most people I know that have flown WW were going to Iceland.

Hmm. Would be interesting to see the actual numbers. My impression was that while many might be spending a day or two, most were connecting on.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

Jshank83

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:20 pm

flyPIT wrote:
PITingres wrote:

I would hope so. How many people a day considered going to Iceland before WOW? 2 or 3? With a nonstop a lot more people are going to go. Not many people are going to go there with a connection, you might as well just go to mainland Europe at that point.

airberlin2017

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:28 pm

cedarjet wrote:
[Would be amazed if 10% of their pax end their journeys in Iceland.

No, the flights from DFW, STL, CVG & CLE has a high number of O&D-Pax. 60-70% of all Passengers on this routes end their journey in KEF. ;)

arcticcruiser

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:30 pm

airberlin2017 wrote:
cedarjet wrote:
[Would be amazed if 10% of their pax end their journeys in Iceland.

No, the flights from DFW, STL, CVG & CLE has a high number of O&D-Pax. 60-70% of all Passengers on this routes end their journey in KEF. ;)

I would concur with that. There is a lot of american opportunistic travellers to Iceland. Non-stop flights at a good price.

mfe777

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:15 am

Wow, my post stating that this was a points guy article with little to back it up was deleted. Again, this website is devolving.

stl07

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:13 am

mfe777 wrote:
Wow, my post stating that this was a points guy article with little to back it up was deleted. Again, this website is devolving.

I found a more reliable source
https://www.stltoday.com/business/local ... 152cc.html

But still no confirmation from the airline
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

spinkid

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:03 am

Sometimes I wonder about the ULCC's throwing darts strategy. I wonder if Allegiant, Norwegian, and in this case WOW come into a market like Pittsburgh and suddenly Iceland is the "hot " destination for people in that area. Iceland has long been famous for its free stopovers and they get the connecting traffic to Europe. Pretty soon, everyone in Pittsburgh who ever wanted to go to Iceland has gone and done it and the market thins out because that's not the type of trip you take every year.

There is a probably a way to measure it, just not sure how.

klm617

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:31 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
spinkid wrote:

WOW is closing down JFK while keeping EWR. For most other airlines it would be called a smart move, cutting cost. Furthermore the EWR flights are upgauged. I would say this move does not say anything about if WOW is likely to go under or not.

If WOW should go under, the airline that would profit the most, would be Icelandair. They are in the best position to profit from a possible demise of WOW, loosing their main competitor.

Imagine something SAS did around 30 years ago and they are still around today.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

AirbusOnly

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:34 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:

100% agree. That's exactly the same I think. The key word is "consolidation" - not less and not more what they are doing now.

SurfandSnow

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:30 pm

If anything, maybe FI and WW each need to find their own niche markets. Perhaps FI gets to have CLE, MCI and SFO, while WW gets to have DTW, LAX and PIT. I could see FI adding something like MKE with the 737 MAX while WW could send an A330 to LAS, perhaps even PHX.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

flyer1225

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Flightsimboy wrote:
Isn't their new DEL flights dependant on traffic from the US. Or are people willing go fly North to Iceland within Europe to get to India. Nor sure how much traffic they will pick up from YYZ?

With the number of European destinations served nonstop from DEL by AI (11), and the 13 other airlines operating between DEL and Europe, WW has almost no chance of surviving in this market. Without any feed on the India side, any traffic from their European destinations to other markets in India will be eaten by AI and the ME3 (one-stop via DEL or DXB/DOH/AUH respectively) - not to mention the whole host of issues regarding baggage allowance and the like that would prevent them from creating a significant impact in the market.

As for Canada, 9W handles the ex-YYZ traffic pretty well, joined by AC out of YYZ and YVR as well.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

enilria

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:37 pm

flyer1225 wrote:
Without any feed on the India side, any traffic from their European destinations to other markets in India will be eaten by AI and the ME3

As for Canada, 9W handles the ex-YYZ traffic pretty well, joined by AC out of YYZ and YVR as well.[/quote]
You think their plan was to carry people from Europe, back to Iceland, and then to India? If that was the plan it is dumb, but surely they intend it to connect to the USA.

flyer1225

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:41 pm

enilria wrote:
You think their plan was to carry people from Europe, back to Iceland, and then to India? If that was the plan it is dumb, but surely they intend it to connect to the USA.

Was responding to the post below from Flightsimboy about any possibility of attracting traffic from Europe. I agree that ex-US is the only realistic possibility.

Flightsimboy wrote:
Isn't their new DEL flights dependant on traffic from the US. Or are people willing go fly North to Iceland within Europe to get to India. Nor sure how much traffic they will pick up from YYZ?
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

a350lover

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
If anything, maybe FI and WW each need to find their own niche markets. Perhaps FI gets to have CLE, MCI and SFO, while WW gets to have DTW, LAX and PIT. I could see FI adding something like MKE with the 737 MAX while WW could send an A330 to LAS, perhaps even PHX.

How about merging the two of them, and then use Icelandair for mainline, and WOW just for the most leisure-orientated markets? I know it's the silliest solution to the oversupply which exists in Iceland at the moment, and none of them seem to need the other one to develop, but this "battle" needs to settle down somehow, and I guess it's WOW the one suffering the most.

EvanWSFO

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:26 pm

a350lover wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

How about merging the two of them, and then use Icelandair for mainline, and WOW just for the most leisure-orientated markets? I know it's the silliest solution to the oversupply which exists in Iceland at the moment, and none of them seem to need the other one to develop, but this "battle" needs to settle down somehow, and I guess it's WOW the one suffering the most.

God no. FI is a great airline. Don't turn it into another ULCC. There are too many of them already.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

a350lover

Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 pm

I 100% agree on that! The thing is .... what can we do with WOW now that they have a notably big fleet and have stimulated the business there? Hopefully they can both survive, but some duplicities have proof that there is no room for everyone.

mjoelnir

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:38 pm

a350lover wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

Some I would say, have the merger mania. Why should they merge? Icelandair is corporation on the stock exchange. WOW is held by a private owner, who loves to have an airline, nothing in common.

spinkid

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 am

I'm sure Icelandair would be happy to see them go. There is more demand now and I think FI would pick it up and also the US majors.

Perhaps they are banking on a large Indian tourist market to make the Iceland stopover. It was very popular with Chinese and Japanese already.

Neoman

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Just released YVR 6 times a week in summer, 5 times week in winter, starting Jun 19

steeler83

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:58 pm

I wonder what other markets in the US could be possible "missing links" in WW's network since many Midwestern markets as well as JFK aren't exactly performing up to their standards. I don't necessarily think this airline is in serious trouble. That said, they do need to modify their pricing structure considering they're filling their planes on may routes but offering beyond dirt cheap pricing. Given that, I guess even with this kind of pricing they weren't generating the traffic they thought they would at STL,CLE, et al. On some of those routes, they did have some solid competition. I know both WW and IcelandAir announced a CLE startup within days of each other.

I'm curious to see which cities they plan on expanding at...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

pitbosflyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Flightsimboy wrote:

The India plans are one of the reasons resources are getting reallocated. Adding narrow body capacity to existing routes for feed and freeing up A330s for the trek to DEL.
A:320/21, 333, 343, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772 || MD80, MD90 || E:145, 170, 175, 190, 195 || CR200, 700, 900

evank516

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm

Update: DFW and JFK will become seasonal destinations.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/wo ... eb038ff0df

Jawaiiansky66

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:36 pm

YVR has just been added to WOW Air's route system...https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4873670

gdg9

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:39 pm

DFW was always seasonal on WOW. Not sure why this thread is titled WOW AXES DFW/JFK when it was a seasonal flight coming to the end of... the season. 90% plus LF each month last three months. Not sure of course on yield.
@dfwtower

DFWandOMA

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Please change the title on this thread. So no change to DFW and JFK becomes seasonal.

WayexTDI

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:19 pm

gdg9 wrote:
DFW was always seasonal on WOW. Not sure why this thread is titled WOW AXES DFW/JFK when it was a seasonal flight coming to the end of... the season. 90% plus LF each month last three months. Not sure of course on yield.

However, right now, you cannot book KEF-DFW or KEF-JFK for next summer, whereas KEF-BOS or KEF-EWR can be booked.

As of right now, it looks like they have no intention to bring it back.
So, one can indeed question what's happening.

BobbyPSP

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
the Iceland tourism bubble is about to burst.

That’s not the issue. It’s still a top destination.... in season of course.

We’ve been hearing a lot about WOW’s financial issues and to close JFK so close out is telling. I have my reservations about them but friends used them to connect to Europe and says they were “fine”. Served its purpose at the right price from JFK.

I feel this is bigger than right-sizing.

jerseyewr777

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:54 pm

The second daily into EWR during the summer going from a A321 to a A330 would at least to me suggest JFK is getting cut. I would also think cutting DFW & reducing SFO helps free up a A330 to send to EWR.

Brandon757

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:57 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
gdg9 wrote:

However, right now, you cannot book KEF-DFW or KEF-JFK for next summer, whereas KEF-BOS or KEF-EWR can be booked.

If you read the link that was posted the Project Manager for WOW states that these routes are going seasonal (although DFW was always a seasonal route), so I would imagine he would know what he was talking about.

Bobloblaw

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:25 pm

BobbyPSP wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

We’ve been hearing a lot about WOW’s financial issues and to close JFK so close out is telling. I have my reservations about them but friends used them to connect to Europe and says they were “fine”. Served its purpose at the right price from JFK.

Iceland has become a very expensive destination and the government is considering a tax on tourism

usflyer msp

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:05 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Iceland has become a very expensive destination and the government is considering a tax on tourism

Iceland has never been cheap to visit.

Bobloblaw

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:35 pm

usflyer msp wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:

Never said it was cheap. But it has gotten more expensive in the last few years.

WayexTDI

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:25 am

Brandon757 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
gdg9 wrote:

If you read the link that was posted the Project Manager for WOW states that these routes are going seasonal (although DFW was always a seasonal route), so I would imagine he would know what he was talking about.

And again, it looks like WOW has no intention on bringing them back, since you cannot book one, even for next summer.

A seasonal route if active during a certain season, inactive during another season. As of right now, the routes have not been reactivated for next summer season, making them, in appearance, canceled altogether.

evank516

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:07 pm

jerseyewr777 wrote:
The second daily into EWR during the summer going from a A321 to a A330 would at least to me suggest JFK is getting cut. I would also think cutting DFW & reducing SFO helps free up a A330 to send to EWR.

Interesting. I know the second flight is not operating right now though.

BobbyPSP

Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Never said it was cheap. But it has gotten more expensive in the last few years.

It’s not Iceland; it’s WOW. Period

LewisNEO

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:18 pm

BobbyPSP wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

Great remark, what has Iceland to do with it besides serving as a hub?
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Fokker 27, Bombardier Dash 8, Embraer 175 & 195, 727-200, 737-200 & -300 & -400 & -800, 747-400, 767-300, 767-400, DC 10-30, A320-200, A330-200, A330-300, A380.

Bobloblaw

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm

LewisNEO wrote:
BobbyPSP wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:

Great remark, what has Iceland to do with it besides serving as a hub?

What does Iceland have to do with it??? Well it is too small to support two hubbed carriers for one. Two, it has a very limited ability to absorb tourism so that hurts the local market potential.

What WOW and Norwegian have in common is this. They are trying to both create a new model that doesnt rely on business passengers and cargo to make long haul international financially viable. That is tough.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos