Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AV8AJET

Re: Delta add daily EDI-BOS

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:28 am

Breathe wrote:
I would have thought that DL would fly EDI-ATL before BOS. I suppose they are filling in the gap from DY.

DL many years ago did have a 763ER ATL-EDI (I took it) but didn't last long and was switched to JFK-EDI. I really wish DL would start ATL-GLA but doubt that will ever happen sadly.

KICT

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:15 am

AV8AJET wrote:
I believe DL used to operate ATL-SNN with the 752's, wouldn't ATL-EDI be capable with the 752's also?

I believe ATL-SNN was announced, yes, but never actually started.

nickofatlanta

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:28 am

DL has certainly operated ATL-SNN but I believe always as a triangle route with DUB. Back in the days when airlines had to serve SNN if they served DUB.

KICT

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:32 am

I meant on the 757, should have been more clear.

PatrickZ80

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:12 am

lat41 wrote:
Norwegian's entire operation closed earlier this month and one big reason cited by the Scotsman was the 75£ tax on flights from EDI which drove leisure passengers to other airports in the UK to save money. The problem appears to be on the Scotland end and not really anything wrong at PVD as that service operated until the end and did quite well. Perhaps a different passenger makeup for DL, the homogenization of the fee into DL fares for cities beyond BOS or a possible repeal of the tax may work in its favor.

What use would be moving across the UK when the same APD applies everywhere in the UK? But more precisely, it drove the leisure passengers to Dublin which is APD-free. You'd be amazed how many British citizens self-transfer at Dublin to avoid the APD.

The reason Providence works for Norwegian is that it's cheaper than Boston, so they can offer a lower ticket price. And that's what these flights are all about, the lowest possible ticket price. However the APD was the reason they couldn't be cheap at Edinburgh, so they pulled out. They continue to serve Providence from Dublin, so Providence works for them.

As good as Delta is, it'll never be as cheap as Norwegian. Delta is clearly after the more premium passengers that are willing to pay more. The price sensitive passengers will continue to use Norwegian with a transfer in Dublin.

Bhoy

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:31 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
What use would be moving across the UK when the same APD applies everywhere in the UK?

That's not strictly speaking true, the APD applies everywhere in Great Britain (although it is devolved to Scotland, and is scheduled to be removed when the budget allows), but the UK is GB and Northern Ireland, and due to the proximity to Dublin, the APD is not levied by the devolved Northern Irish Assembly, to promote Transatlantic flights to Belfast.

AmricanShamrok

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:13 pm

nickofatlanta wrote:
DL has certainly operated ATL-SNN but I believe always as a triangle route with DUB. Back in the days when airlines had to serve SNN if they served DUB.

Not always as a triangle route - in the mid-2000s summer seasons DL operated ATL-DUB and ATL-SNN independently of each other. 2008 was the one and only season they operated ATL-SNN with the 752 (in previous seasons the route was operated by the 764).

Breathe

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Bhoy wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
What use would be moving across the UK when the same APD applies everywhere in the UK?

That's not strictly speaking true, the APD applies everywhere in Great Britain (although it is devolved to Scotland, and is scheduled to be removed when the budget allows), but the UK is GB and Northern Ireland, and due to the proximity to Dublin, the APD is not levied by the devolved Northern Irish Assembly, to promote Transatlantic flights to Belfast.

No APD for INV either IIRC.

Ionosphere

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:38 pm

jordanh wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Why would they try ATL-EDI when they ended ATL-LIS in favor of BOS-LIS.

Perhaps because Boston has the largest concentration of Portuguese descendants in the USA? Or is that over your head to understand?

I'm surprised they're flying JFK-PDL instead of BOS-PDL

Breathe

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:06 pm

AV8AJET wrote:
Breathe wrote:
I would have thought that DL would fly EDI-ATL before BOS. I suppose they are filling in the gap from DY.

DL many years ago did have a 763ER ATL-EDI (I took it) but didn't last long and was switched to JFK-EDI. I really wish DL would start ATL-GLA but doubt that will ever happen sadly.

At least GLA is getting an increase of seats to JFK next year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos