alweov
Topic Author

Question about KE936 /KAL936 (PRG->ICN)

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Hello everyone!

I have a question about Korean Air flight KE936 /KAL936 from Prague to Seoul. They´re using a 747-8. Maybe my question sound weird but why are they using such a big plane on that route specifically when they normally use the A330 (or 777) on "not so popular" routes from/to Europe and the US? Why Prague?

Cunard

Re: Question about KE936 /KAL936 (PRG->ICN)

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:26 am

Have you ever thought of the term DEMAND, if there wasn't any I'm sure that KE would be using a smaller aircraft on the route such as the A330 or B777.

I wouldn't necessarily say ''not so popular route'' I think that you should have wrote a route that sees lees demand hence a smaller aircraft serving it.

CSA also operate Prague to Seoul with A330 in cooperation with Korean Air, there is a lot of Korean investment in the Czech Republic and the country is also very popular with inbound tourism from Korea and it's neighbors.

But to be honest with you it does surprise me as well that Korean Air are using a B748 on Seoul to Prague but the belly must be filled with a fair amount of cargo as well as a high amount of passengers onboard for the airline warranting using the aircraft on the route that has been around for a while now.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

L410Turbolet

Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:28 am

They have been using 744 (seasonally) before that for quite a few years.

Cunard wrote:
there is a lot of Korean investment in the Czech Republic

Sadly, the investment in OK was short lived and never lived up to the expectations.

Yahnih

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:39 am

Since I’m based in Korea...Prague is being highly marketed everywhere. From Adsense on instagram so the opening commercials in the movie theaters. KE marketing seems quite effective. They have their own specific instagram for it too...so I think at 747-8 makes sense if the demand is high. Bc I really wanted to go to PRG after watching it.

soyuz

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:25 am

There are 8 weekly flights between ICN and PRG divided 4 apiece between KE (747-8i) and OK (A330-300). This is the second year that KE has been flying the -8i to Prague over the Northern Summer. Will be reverting back to a 777 or possibly 787-9 soon. Prior to that, it was 747-400s over summer. The OK A330 is leased from KE and still has KE's interior. The reason for the 4 holer over summer has already been mentioned. The demand is clearly there. It has been nice to see KE steadily upgauging their equipment into PRG since the route began some 10 years ago. First A330s, then 777s now seasonal 747s. Could the trend continue and could we see a regular KE A380 into PRG in the coming years? Wouldn't mind it at all! Got to snare a ride the -8i on that route a couple of months ago. Nice machine.

ktachiya

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:09 pm

I just used this flight this summer in July. On the particular flight that I took, C was about 70% full but Y was completely packed. As many poster have stated, there must be cargo demand to warrant such a route... I also thought it was nice of Prague Airport to always prepare a follow me vehicle for the KE B748 for arrival and departure.

But clearly the effects of Korean tourism in the Czech Republic could be seen everywhere! It's the first European city that I have seen with that amount of Korean tourists.
Flown on: DC-10-30, B747-200B, B747-300, B747-300SR, B747-400, B747-400D, B767-300, B777-200, B777-200ER, B777-300

zakuivcustom

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:54 pm

ktachiya wrote:
But clearly the effects of Korean tourism in the Czech Republic could be seen everywhere! It's the first European city that I have seen with that amount of Korean tourists.

Indeed. Same observation for me when I visited in June - one of the few European cities that I would say Koreans outnumber (mainland) Chinese in terms of tourists from East Asia.

Just throwing some numbers out there also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_i ... h_Republic

Almost the same amount of South Korean visited Czech Rep. compare to PRC and US. But once you factor in the fact that S. Korea population is 50M, compare to 325M for US and 1.3B for PRC, the number is crazily impressive.

The route is still 99% tourism. But hey, KE make it work, and clearly they see enough demand during high season to operate a B748i instead of smaller A330s/B772s, and this is AFTER they pull out of the investment in OK.
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

alweov
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the answers! I mean I knew there must be a high demand but couldn´t think of the exact reasons.

hoons90

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:46 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Indeed. Same observation for me when I visited in June - one of the few European cities that I would say Koreans outnumber (mainland) Chinese in terms of tourists from East Asia.

Just throwing some numbers out there also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_i ... h_Republic

Almost the same amount of South Korean visited Czech Rep. compare to PRC and US. But once you factor in the fact that S. Korea population is 50M, compare to 325M for US and 1.3B for PRC, the number is crazily impressive.

The route is still 99% tourism. But hey, KE make it work, and clearly they see enough demand during high season to operate a B748i instead of smaller A330s/B772s, and this is AFTER they pull out of the investment in OK.

Croatia is another one. Croatia gets more Korean tourists than Chinese, and almost outnumber Americans visiting Croatia.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 pm

hoons90 wrote:
Croatia is another one. Croatia gets more Korean tourists than Chinese, and almost outnumber Americans visiting Croatia.

That's some insane number for South Koreans visitors :shock: . And no wonder there are all these IG photos of young Korean girls in Dubrovnik :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Upon some Google search, it seems like that's b/c some Korean TV show pretty much "advertise" Croatia a few years back? Wondering if there's something similar for Prague (or is it just, well, being well known b/c it's Prague)?
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos