Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

anthonycII
Topic Author

PHL Overseas Terminal

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 am

I'm interested in the former Overseas Terminal at PHL. As a youth I traveled twice out of that terminal on charter flights with my parents in 1980's. If I recall correctly no jetways and a building separate from the other terminals.It was on the north side and somewhat near the PHL F terminal. Any pictures or history would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed

OzarkD9S

Re: PHL Overseas Terminal

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:14 pm

I did find this old terminal map, no pics unfortunately:

http://www.departedflights.com/PHL120184.html
Next up: STL DEN PSP DEN STL

Deltabravo1123

Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:48 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4148813453

I looked on Google for a little while, and this was the only picture I could find. You can barely see it in the background. Strange though, because it's brown in that picture. But in the link below, where they talked about it some 13 years ago, it's blue.

viewtopic.php?t=309987

FCOTSTW

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:29 pm

I like the fact that the map lists a "Ryan Air". Clearly,, this was Ryan International Airlines, but for a moment it made me think whether Ryanair (Ireland) would have started transatlantic.

gwrudolph

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:01 pm

Deltabravo1123 wrote:

I looked on Google for a little while, and this was the only picture I could find. You can barely see it in the background. Strange though, because it's brown in that picture. But in the link below, where they talked about it some 13 years ago, it's blue.

viewtopic.php?t=309987

I recollect it being blue It was completely separate and accessible via Island Ave. It was not a very nice place. I feel like the end gate had one passenger loading bridge (where BA parked their flight) but I could be wrong

I’m not sure the location and condition of the terminal were all that important because US didn’t yet have a hub there so basically it was 1 LH, 1 BA, 1 SR, and 1 TW flight a day plus charters. Likely it was mostly O&D traffic so the fact that it was separate wasn’t a big deal

By the time US started their hub build, terminal A was built for housing International

flyer1225

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Deltabravo1123 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=309987

What BA aircraft is that in the background? Looks like a 727 to me, but I thought only Wardair and Sterling flew 727s TATL (ex-Canada, to boot).

Also, I found this picture, that shows an LH 747, BA 747, PA 707, and a fourth aircraft nearby: https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5218/5411 ... 9107_b.jpg
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

VirginFlyer

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:48 pm

flyer1225 wrote:
Deltabravo1123 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=309987

What BA aircraft is that in the background? Looks like a 727 to me, but I thought only Wardair and Sterling flew 727s TATL (ex-Canada, to boot).

Also, I found this picture, that shows an LH 747, BA 747, PA 707, and a fourth aircraft nearby: https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5218/5411 ... 9107_b.jpg

The BA aircraft is a VC-10.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

BN747

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:45 pm

As a kid, I too remember that dump...it was an embarrassment after I had visited SFO, JFK, ORD, HNL and LAX at the time. I have BA 707 pic there. Frank the scumbag Rizzo was mayor during most of that time and he is the exact reason PHL failed miserably at capitalizing on economic opportunities to raise PHL and the city to far greater heights, I saw that and just cringed...it still bothers me to think 'what could have been' with just a little inspiration and imagination. Rizzo made sure neither had a chance.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

spartanmjf

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:51 pm

I was in and out of there three or four times in the 80's leading groups - our usual routing was PHL-JFK-FRA on a LH DC-10 (great ride). I remember getting a bagged lunch as we went outside to climb the stairs as a preview to the dinner served on the actual TATL leg.

The building was a dump - access was off Island Avenue near a sewage plant.
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

flyjoe

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:20 am

gwrudolph wrote:

I recollect it being blue It was completely separate and accessible via Island Ave. It was not a very nice place. I feel like the end gate had one passenger loading bridge (where BA parked their flight) but I could be wrong

I’m not sure the location and condition of the terminal were all that important because US didn’t yet

By the time US started their hub build, terminal A was built for housing International

Yes, the terminal was blue. You're correct there was a gate with a jetway on north side of the building.

AL/US did have a hub at the time, although it was very small and nowhere near the size when it started to grow after obtaining the gates from TW on B and eventually all of C. In the late 70s and throughout the 80s, AL/US had the even numbered gates on B with the Allegheny Commuter ops off the end by B14/B16. TW would land their London flight at the Overseas terminal and then depart from B.

crownvic

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:07 am

This terminal was also referred to as "The Barn" and was always blue. It actually was the original Pennsylvania Air Guard hangar and was mostly a tan brick and glass structure as most post war era hangars were. At some period in the late sixties, it was gutted and converted to the international terminal where the blue paint was added. It was the same blue that was used on the main terminal and air bridges when the airport saw a facelift in the late sixties. The tan vertical lines you see in the photos in this thread are what I recall was part of the original hangar structure.

The terminal had one air bridge on the north side. It actually ran upwards along the facade of the building, hence the reason you rarely see it photos, unless the picture was taken from the north side as well. Ironically, prior to the hangar conversion, all international flights left from the hard stand just west of the B concourse (which is where all the current international A terminals now are). In the 60's, this ramp area housed Pan Am, BOAC and Lufthansa along with all charter flights. This made the ramp area quite congested at times. The influx of Vietnam era MAC charters put a strain on this ramp, as PHL was always the MAC hub for troop flights (prior to BWI).

When "The Barn" was completed, all the international operations moved there. The MAC charters and other charter flights were split up between "The Barn" and another area along Island Avenue where the original 1940's airport terminal was still present. Once "The Barn" opened , Air France and Alitalia began service as well.

jetjack74

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:55 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=83874935904&set=a.83874440904&type=3&sfns=moA picture of the blue barn from 1989. G-BBPU had just arrived and is at the customs and immigration gate. After the aircraft was cleaned and catered for the return trip, it was moved over to another soapy on the ramp further up the line to the departure gates. And passengers boarded via airstairs
Made from jets!

wingsofman72

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:08 pm

In 1973 right after I started working for Eastern in MIA, I went to the UK and was unable to get on the return flight to JFK as planned. Rode
a PA 707 to PHL since there was plenty of EA service from there. I do remember arriving at this terminal as it was really a hanger that we parked in front of, next to the LH 707-420. I have a picture of this someplace that I will look for. I do remember specifically thinking "what a dump". However compared to some of the 3rd world airports I have been to since..really was not too bad!

26point2

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 pm

Posts like this are why I stay with Anet. I like when someone asks a question I’ve always had.

When I RON at PHL I like to run around the airport. It’s a 7 mile run. That Islamd Ave stretch always my least favorite bit and the old Intl terminal always looked so rough. Never saw inside. Even when used it looked disused. Eventually it was torn down (10 years ago?) and now the site is used for airport operations and a bus stop.

crownvic

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:24 am

26point2 wrote:
Posts like this are why I stay with Anet. I like when someone asks a question I’ve always had.

When I RON at PHL I like to run around the airport. It’s a 7 mile run. That Islamd Ave stretch always my least favorite bit and the old Intl terminal always looked so rough. Never saw inside. Even when used it looked disused. Eventually it was torn down (10 years ago?) and now the site is used for airport operations and a bus stop.

The opposite for me. That Island Ave. stretch was always my favorite place to go. It's where all the "cool" stuff parked. Aside from the regular transatlantic carriers, there was always an abundance of 707 and DC-8 charter operators lines up along this road. It was also the area for diversions when JFK "went down". I have several old photos of IL-62s, Concordes and other JFK diversions that was good for PHL spotters. Lets not forget the hot dog stand with Philly pretzels on Island Ave., that is still here to this day :)

flyPIT

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:33 am

From 1989:

The wording on the building said: "Welcome - Philadelphia Overseas Terminal.....America's Most Livable City".
I thought that was hilarious since that accolade was given at the time to cross state rival Pittsburgh by Places Rated Almanac.
FLYi

crownvic

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:15 am

flyPIT wrote:
From 1989:

The wording on the building said: "Welcome - Philadelphia Overseas Terminal.....America's Most Livable City".
I thought that was hilarious since that accolade was given at the time to cross state rival Pittsburgh by Places Rated Almanac.

Thanks for the memories flyPIT

flyPIT

Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:57 am

crownvic wrote:
Thanks for the memories flyPIT

You're welcome. Here are a few more:

These (including the previous two) were all taken within a 5-10 minute period in the summer of 1989 from BA's first B744 "City of London" operating BA's first B744 route which was LHR-PHL-PIT.

Before anyone asks, the Hawaiian DC-8 was most likely a mil charter.
FLYi

crownvic

Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:30 am

flyPIT...Yes, more good stuff. Correct; the HA DC-8s were regular visitors to PHL on the MAC flights. The MAC flights offered a constant flow of charter subjects, but as PHL became too busy, the military moved the operation to BWI.

DCA-ROCguy

Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:33 pm

Thank you to everyone for the pictures and history. I love seeing 1970's-80s terminals, particularly photos of international carriers, whose flights could be less than daily and not always easy to photograph.

I first connected through PHL in the late 1980's on USAir ROC-PHL-CVG, but didn't take any pictures of the "Blue Barn." It's amazing that such a major city tolerated such a makeshift international terminal for so long. BOS had had Terminal E since 1974, and of course JFK had the IAB, built in 1957.

Lufthansa flew A300's on transatlantic?

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

crownvic

Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:12 am

DCA-ROCguy wrote:
Thank you to everyone for the pictures and history. I love seeing 1970's-80s terminals, particularly photos of international carriers, whose flights could be less than daily and not always easy to photograph.

I first connected through PHL in the late 1980's on USAir ROC-PHL-CVG, but didn't take any pictures of the "Blue Barn." It's amazing that such a major city tolerated such a makeshift international terminal for so long. BOS had had Terminal E since 1974, and of course JFK had the IAB, built in 1957.

Lufthansa flew A300's on transatlantic?

Jim

LH started PHL and BOS service in May of 1965 with a 720B that routed FRA-BOS-PHL. It was PHL's first foreign carrier followed shortly thereafter by BOAC. Most flights in the 1960s operated with 707s routing through BOS, but that was later changed at some date to routing through Montreal. In the early 70s, the 707s gave way to DC-10s and 747s. Eventually, the A300s and A310s took over the routes and at some point, the flights became nonstop to FRA. Since then, LH has operated A333, 343, 346 and 744s at PHL. LH has been at PHL and BOS for 54 years now!

AirAfreak

Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:34 am

On February 7th, 1984/5? I departed PHL to West Germany (Rhein Main AFB) on a DC-10 operated by World Airways on behalf of the Military Airlift Command (MAC). The terminal was dreary and the boarding process was lengthy. The crew was lovely to Frankfurt/Rhein Main. The flight number was “US29” and that’s as far as I can recall.
Korean Air | Excellence in Flight.

phllax

Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:29 am

Are there any pictures of the Mexicana and Air Jamaica 727’s or the TWA 767/L1011 upon arrival at the barn? TW and MX departed from B, but I cannot remember where JM left from in the morning.

crownvic

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:04 am

phllax wrote:
Are there any pictures of the Mexicana and Air Jamaica 727’s or the TWA 767/L1011 upon arrival at the barn? TW and MX departed from B, but I cannot remember where JM left from in the morning.

JM operated their D9S, DC-8s, A3Bs and 722s from the barn. When the narrow body Airbus' came on, I was no longer in PHL, so I am not sure about them.

crownvic

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:05 am

AirAfreak wrote:
On February 7th, 1984/5? I departed PHL to West Germany (Rhein Main AFB) on a DC-10 operated by World Airways on behalf of the Military Airlift Command (MAC). The terminal was dreary and the boarding process was lengthy. The crew was lovely to Frankfurt/Rhein Main. The flight number was “US29” and that’s as far as I can recall.

Before the move to BWI, the MAC flights moved over to Concourse E, making the military more comfortable.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos