SCQ83
Topic Author

Ryanair accused of inaction over racist incident on FR9015 flight from BCN to STN

Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Ryanair is very quick to remove people from planes but not in this justified case.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... r-inaction

Ryanair has referred a racist incident on one of its flights to Essex police, after facing criticism that it did little to prevent a male passenger inflicting a tirade of racist abuse on a 77-year-old woman.

The airline apparently did not remove the passenger from the flight from Barcelona, instead moving the woman from her seat.

The man was filmed by a fellow passenger calling the woman an “ugly black bastard”, and shouting “don’t talk to me in a foreign language” when she spoke to him in English with a Jamaican accent.

UK resident David Lawrence filmed the incident, which happened on Friday on Ryanair flight FR015 from Barcelona to London Stansted, and shared it on social media, resulting in a barrage of criticism of the airline’s handling of the incident.

maverick4002

Re: Ryanair accused of inaction over racist incident on FR9015 flight from BCN to STN

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Yeah, they were ~wrong~ here. If anyone was to change seats, it should have been the racist.

johns624

Re: Ryanair accused of inaction over racist incident on FR9015 flight from BCN to STN

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Why do so many video an incident instead of getting involved and ending it?

musman9853

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm

goddamn. making an elderly disabled woman move instead of the racist dbag? that's low, but watch some of the posters defend ryanair here.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.

StTim

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:01 pm

He should have been thrown off and left to his own devices to get home. Awful inaction by the Ryanair crew.

musman9853

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:01 pm

johns624 wrote:

what could the passengers have done? only the fa's could have solved this issue. The flight crew should have pulled a united on him.

Vasu

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:28 pm

Dreadful - I don’t think anyone can defend Ryanair on this... (coming from a usual FR-fan). Reminds me of that old tale of the the racist on the SAA flight but not with the nice ending ☹️

PlymSpotter

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:15 am

They screwed up, this idiot should be spending some time in a cell whilst contemplating his life choices.

Have seen it myself on other carriers, there was a very similar incident I witnessed on a WizzAir flight where the crew even continued to serve a racially abusive passenger with more alcohol.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

MassAppeal

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:24 am

musman9853 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

what could the passengers have done? only the fa's could have solved this issue. The flight crew should have pulled a united on him.

Yeah the only way to deal with someone who's using hurtful words is to beat them until they lose consciousness. That's way better, right?

boeing767300

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:40 am

Think about this the guy had a window seat and the poor unfortunate lady was seated in the aisle. So removing him first while leaving her seated would have been fraught with risk in the event that he became violentl. Best to move her out of harms way to a safer seat and it looks like that's exactly what the crew did. Sadly they did not subsequently remove him from the flight and that was unfortunate.

vhqpa

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:15 am

MassAppeal wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Yeah the only way to deal with someone who's using hurtful words is to beat them until they lose consciousness. That's way better, right?

Just to make it clear in the United incident musman refererenced. It was security offers that forcibly removed that passenger, not UA/Republic employees. In any case it was completely different situation to what happened here.

In this case the passenger's conduct was completely unacceptable and there is no way the aircraft should have left the bay without offloading him. The correct course of action would have been to tell the passenger he was no longer welcome onboard, pack up your things and let's go. If he refuses to comply get the airport police involved and if necessary get them to drag him off.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"

stlgph

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 am

MassAppeal wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

No complaints here.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

SCQ83
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:05 am

StTim wrote:
He should have been thrown off and left to his own devices to get home. Awful inaction by the Ryanair crew.

I think this is one of those times where the lack of experience of Ryanair's FA show.

The FA probably got quite shocked about this whole thing and he just wanted to stop the brawl in order to take off ASAP. So he decided to move the attacked passenger, which was the "easiest" solution. I am sure a more seasoned FA would take the racist passenger off the flight even if that would mean delaying the departure.

art

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:30 am

I think the best course of action here (I believe the aircraft had already pushed back) would be for Ryanair to ban the offensive and offending gentleman - or rather ungentleman - from further flights with the company. Other airlines might save themselves the risk of inflicting such nastiness on their customers by refusing him passage, too.

mjoelnir

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:35 am

So the defenders of the crew of RyanAir come out of the woodwork. So there is this crew, the absolute rulers aboard an airplane, trowing out passengers left and right on there whim, just watching a white man attacking an older black woman. Real heroes this crew. Really something to defend, or are here the defenders of everything what an airline crew does, defending the undefendable?

eurowings

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:03 am

I suspect there's also a bit of a cultural element, whereas to a Spanish native speaker (presumably the crew / airport authorities) this looks like a very rude passenger, it would for sure be classed as a racially abusive exchange in the UK.

Ironically enough I also experienced a racially abusive passenger on an FR flight from Spain who was shouting at a poor woman. He was drunk and smoking in the toilets too. Nothing happened to him at all apart from when passengers told him to shut it, so I have no faith that Ryanair actually takes things like this seriously. I reported it to them afterwards but never received a reply.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

Zaf

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:07 am

We should listen to both sides before we judge this guy or the crew. There is probably more to this than what we see in the video. Just calling someone ugly or black in an argument doesn't make him a racist.

a350lover

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:11 am

mjoelnir wrote:
So the defenders of the crew of RyanAir come out of the woodwork. So there is this crew, the absolute rulers aboard an airplane, trowing out passengers left and right on there whim, just watching a white man attacking an older black woman. Real heroes this crew. Really something to defend, or are here the defenders of everything what an airline crew does, defending the undefendable?

No please, I am not supporting this kind of behaviour, but I defend that probably this crew did as much as he possibly could in the real world of aviation these days for Ryanair, and for most airlines. It's not THAT easy to off load someone from an airplane, and anyone involved in this industry could tell you.

I am just trying to be fair by pointing that I don't think racism is supported or tolerated especially on board Ryanair flights, and come on, let's be serious, if you wanna fight racism, is banning an airline the most effective action you can take? Most of the people who posted the terrible situation which occurred on that flight just recorded/posted the situation. That's a very brave way to combat something which you do not support.
Last edited by a350lover on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

JannEejit

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am

Ryanair's public image has taken something of a hit lately, not that they've ever had a particularly high score in that respect and it's generally considered they couldn't care less in an operation where the buck is king. This unfortunate incident will make no difference whatsoever to their fortunes, (even though I gather they have just announced a slight downturn in profits.) Ban the offensive passenger for life, offer the female passenger some compensatory flight vouchers and move along. It'll be a forgotten story by the end of the week, and sadly just another case of 'rude Britannia'...

FlightMode

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 am

Regardless of any racist language involved, this odious little man was behaving in an aggressive and threatening manner towards another passenger. Passengers have been removed from aircraft for much less and if ever there was a justification for removal, this was it. From the small print in Ryanair's Terms and Conditions:

11.1 General
If, in our reasonable opinion, you conduct yourself aboard the aircraft so as to endanger the aircraft or any person or property on board, or obstruct the crew in the performance of their duties, or fail to comply with any instructions of the crew including but not limited to those with respect to smoking, alcohol or drug consumption, or behave in a manner which we reasonably believe may cause or does cause discomfort, inconvenience, damage or injury to other passengers or the crew, we may take such measures as we deem reasonably necessary to prevent continuation of such conduct, including restraint. You may be disembarked and refused onward carriage at any point, and may be prosecuted for offences committed on board the aircraft.

Yes, I can imagine the pressure to get the aircraft away on time took precedent over the comfort and safety of passengers, whatever any PR statement might assert. Ryanair claim to have handed the matter to the Essex police and hopefully the man will be receiving a summons. In the meantime, Ryanair possibly welcomes the free advertising.

It is good to see that other passengers intervened to protect the woman from the odious little man's verbal assault. With the video being reproduced widely, it is to be hoped that this horrible little creature receives opinions from others in a manner as strongly put as his own.

leghorn

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 am

line of authority is cabin crew member, purser, pilot in charge. Either the purser should have decided to throw him off or escalated to Pilot in Charge who should have made the decision.
Hard to blame Ryanair as an organisation for this although it has been suggested elsewhere that Ryanair will not enthusiastically remove passengers as it impacts turnaround time which might have fed in to thought process of the staff present. .

enzo011

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 am

art wrote:
I think the best course of action here (I believe the aircraft had already pushed back) would be for Ryanair to ban the offensive and offending gentleman - or rather ungentleman - from further flights with the company. Other airlines might save themselves the risk of inflicting such nastiness on their customers by refusing him passage, too.

Passengers were still getting to their seats in the video in the row ahead of these two so I don't think the plane has pushed back already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlcaG9mBmg

Zaf wrote:
We should listen to both sides before we judge this guy or the crew. There is probably more to this than what we see in the video. Just calling someone ugly or black in an argument doesn't make him a racist.

You are right that calling someone ugly is not racist. Pointing out that someone is black is not racist. Calling someone a bastard on a flight in a threatening manner is abusive and could lead to you being thrown off a flight, IMO. But calling someone a "ugly black bastard" is racist because you are referring to their....race. He also referred to her accent as "don’t talk to me in a fucking foreign language, you stupid, ugly cow.” You can watch and listen to the video, this is what he said and in this case I don't think there is a other side of the story, even if she did take time to get up and make way for him to get to his seat. That is no justification for his outburst.

mjoelnir wrote:

The crew was wrong and should have had him removed. I am surprised that the captain of the flight wasn't involved here to have him removed. But I don't think European crews have had to deal with confrontations like this and is probably not too savvy of what they should have done. Incidents like this will only increase unfortunately so they will have to get caught up fast. This will probably not be the last incident we will see or hear in the next few years, with the leaders we have setting the examples right now.

peterinlisbon

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:05 am

Sorry, but I don't agree with the pitchfork brigade. If he was insulting another passenger they should have told him to shut up or he'd be removed and if he calmed down and was quiet then there was no need to remove him. And if they separated the passengers that were arguing, perhaps by giving the woman a better seat, then they resolved the dispute and could get on with the flight which is what they needed to do.

Removing a passenger is going to require police presence and perhaps the removal of baggage, which would have inconvenienced all 180 or so passengers and delayed other flights during the day as well. No need for that unless this passenger refused to calm down and be quiet. As far as this guy is concerned he's been shamed publicly, which is an appropriate form of punishment for doing something that is socially unacceptable. He could also be liable for some kind of prosecution, I imagine.

SpoonNZ

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:19 am

Zaf wrote:
Just calling someone ugly or black in an argument doesn't make him a racist.

Absolutely. It's being racist that makes him call someone black in an argument.

Seriously, pull your head in. If the best two insults hr can think of are "ugly" and "black", it's pretty clear what he thinks about people with that skin colour.

SomebodyInTLS

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:29 am

peterinlisbon wrote:
Sorry, but I don't agree with the pitchfork brigade. If he was insulting another passenger they should have told him to shut up or he'd be removed and if he calmed down and was quiet then there was no need to remove him. And if they separated the passengers that were arguing, perhaps by giving the woman a better seat, then they resolved the dispute and could get on with the flight which is what they needed to do.

Removing a passenger is going to require police presence and perhaps the removal of baggage, which would have inconvenienced all 180 or so passengers and delayed other flights during the day as well. No need for that unless this passenger refused to calm down and be quiet. As far as this guy is concerned he's been shamed publicly, which is an appropriate form of punishment for doing something that is socially unacceptable. He could also be liable for some kind of prosecution, I imagine.

Ooh - hark at you with your reasonable and thought out response! ;)
"As with most things related to aircraft design, it's all about the trade-offs and much more nuanced than A.net likes to make out."

musman9853

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Zaf wrote:

lemme guess, you're not a minority. trust me, if youve experienced racist attacks like this one your tolerance for racists goes waaay down.

mjoelnir

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:57 pm

a350lover wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:

No please, I am not supporting this kind of behaviour, but I defend that probably this crew did as much as he possibly could in the real world of aviation these days for Ryanair, and for most airlines. It's not THAT easy to off load someone from an airplane, and anyone involved in this industry could tell you.

I am just trying to be fair by pointing that I don't think racism is supported or tolerated especially on board Ryanair flights, and come on, let's be serious, if you wanna fight racism, is banning an airline the most effective action you can take? Most of the people who posted the terrible situation which occurred on that flight just recorded/posted the situation. That's a very brave way to combat something which you do not support.

Passengers had to defend the passenger. That crew did about nothing apart from belatedly moving the older black woman. That racist pig got what he wanted, a row to himself without having to share it with some "inferior beings". Crews have thrown out passengers for much less. I would be interested, what would have happened if that guy had called a crew member loudly an ugly black bastard.

9w748capt

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Zaf wrote:

Ok then Donald.

Disgusting what this world is coming to. Just horrific. But this is the new normal for those of us who aren't white.

axiom

Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:31 pm

9w748capt wrote:
Zaf wrote:

Ok then Donald.

Disgusting what this world is coming to. Just horrific. But this is the new normal for those of us who aren't white.

Seriously. I don't know how people can defend this behaviour. Horrifying.

I'm disappointed in Ryanair.

oldannyboy

Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:59 pm

Absolutely horrifying video. Creepy. And only one person gets in to help - what's up with people these days??!!
Pretty lame action of the part of the FA. The piss-poor training the cheap young FAs get with FR shines through in all its glory, including the obvious language barrier in which the Spanish FA does not pick up the gravity and seriousness of the racial abuse being shouted at the elderly lady.
Horrifying is the word.
The old pig should have been booted off the flight, and left alone in BCN at the mercy of the Guardia Civil. Never mind the delay, or whatever. Behaviour like this is inexcusable and needs to bring along consequences for everybody to see......

gatibosgru

Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:54 pm

Disgusting! No one should endure abuse for that long! I cannot believe he was not removed from the plane.
@DadCelo

sbworcs

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:46 pm

I wonder if the races of those involved had been reversed the situation would have been different?
The best way forwards is upwards!

gatibosgru

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:52 pm

enzo011 wrote:
Zaf wrote:

You are right that calling someone ugly is not racist. Pointing out that someone is black is not racist. Calling someone a bastard on a flight in a threatening manner is abusive and could lead to you being thrown off a flight, IMO. But calling someone a "ugly black bastard" is racist because you are referring to their....race. He also referred to her accent as "don’t talk to me in a fucking foreign language, you stupid, ugly cow.” You can watch and listen to the video, this is what he said and in this case I don't think there is a other side of the story, even if she did take time to get up and make way for him to get to his seat. That is no justification for his outburst.

Thanks for putting this in a much nicer way that I would have. I think you nailed it.
@DadCelo

guyanam

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:57 pm

sbworcs wrote:
I wonder if the races of those involved had been reversed the situation would have been different?

Yes a black Jamaican man abusing an elderly white lady would have not only been tossed off the plane, but would have been arrested. This is what implicit bias is all about. Different people having different experiences.

scamp

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 pm

I understand the anger of a lot of the posters here. I, too, share in that anger. But everyone needs to stop and think when they want to use anger (and hate) against anger. It's a slippery slope. I hope the guy suffers as a result of this incident and I would like to see him punished in some way for it, whether it's the loss of his job or other financial loss, the rejection of people dear to him, anything that instills in him that his behavior was wrong and is unacceptable. To a lot of people in the rest of the world, America may seem an insanely litigious place. But the courts can often do a much better job of dealing with these situations than an equally hateful mentality.
If it pisses off the right, I'm all for it.

peterinlisbon

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:13 pm

As far as actual racism by an airline is concerned, Air France is by far the worst. They have a policy of automatically refusing boarding to Moroccans regardless of whether they require a transit visa and not allowing them to board their flights to Istanbul, Hong Kong or Brazil. I'm still trying to get my money back from them after two months of being bounced from one incompetent department to another.

2122M

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:53 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
perhaps by giving the woman a better seat,

A better seat? On Ryanair?

Bongodog1964

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Ryanair have completely messed up, the clearly racist and unacceptable incident occurred on the ground in Spain onboard an Irish registered aircraft, they duly reported it to Essex police after arrival at STN. What can Essex police do about an incident that occurred in another Country ? Answer nothing at all.
The only way anything can happen to him is for Spain to press charges and demand extradition, can't see that happening.

This is what happens on an airline where punctuality over rides common decency.

Super80Fan

Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 pm

The issue here is treating flight crew members like God's. If someone was to interject and put the racist in their place, the person would've been dragged off the plane in handcuffs for "interfering" or some made up crime like that.

These skywaitresses need to be put in their place. Need they need reminding that WE are the ones that let them have a job in the first place? Otherwise the sky would be full of pilots only flying cargo jets around.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

axiom

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:30 pm

sbworcs wrote:

What is this supposed to mean? These kinds of hypotheticals make no sense.

JayBCNLON

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:46 pm

This incident is blown totally out of proportion. Comparable scenes are common in road traffic. Just because it’s aviation and the name “Ryanair” is involved it receives this kind of attention. There were 178 other passengers on board who just wanted to the get from A to B on time. The cabin crew balanced the needs of everyone on board. I agree with SCQ83: Europe’s history and present are different from those in the Americass therefore racism takes on different forms.

Bongodog1964

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:47 am

JayBCNLON wrote:
This incident is blown totally out of proportion. Comparable scenes are common in road traffic. Just because it’s aviation and the name “Ryanair” is involved it receives this kind of attention. There were 178 other passengers on board who just wanted to the get from A to B on time. The cabin crew balanced the needs of everyone on board. I agree with SCQ83: Europe’s history and present are different from those in the Americass therefore racism takes on different forms.

What a lovely attitude to have "as long as I get to my destination in time, bad behaviour doesn't matter" The problem with this is one day it might be you who is the victim, will you have the same viewpoint then ?

Forget the racism angle for a minute or two, even then the perpetrator was a loud mouthed abusive idiot and deserving of offloading at the very least. The whole approach by the crew sends out the message that bad behaviour will be tolerated in order to meet the timetable.

Virtual737

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:03 am

An issue for me with this kind of idiot is that he's likely to say something that might make an otherwise reasonable person do something illegal.

ie. if he had said something equivalent to my mother and, after being challenged, did it again, a smack in the mouth would be coming his way. Then I'd also be in a world of trouble.

Did I just describe myself as "an otherwise reasonable person"?

WayexTDI

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:24 am

Bongodog1964 wrote:
[...]the clearly racist and unacceptable incident occurred on the ground in Spain onboard an Irish registered aircraft, they duly reported it to Essex police after arrival at STN. What can Essex police do about an incident that occurred in another Country ?[...]

Since it happened onboard an Irish-registered aircraft, isn't it considered as happening on Irish soil?

Aesma

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Virtual737 wrote:
An issue for me with this kind of idiot is that he's likely to say something that might make an otherwise reasonable person do something illegal.

ie. if he had said something equivalent to my mother and, after being challenged, did it again, a smack in the mouth would be coming his way. Then I'd also be in a world of trouble.

Did I just describe myself as "an otherwise reasonable person"?

At least in France you would indeed get into some trouble, but he would too. Insulting someone is illegal.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

oldannyboy

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:44 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:

I strongly disagree with what you state, and stand by my statement.
It's only fair that certain behaviours are accompanied by a hefty price tag. And people need to see that this is can and will happen, and that the consequences and reverberations of said behaviours are multiple, and inconvenience more than one single person.
I don't agree with ignoring despicable actions so that everyone can merrily march off to their own little bubble with minimal hassle. I would want to see people being bothered by the inevitable that similar acts brings along consequences, including a delay if need be. What message are we giving our young ones? That you can get away with this...
Not my idea of civic society mate.

hoons90

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:13 pm

JayBCNLON wrote:
There were 178 other passengers on board who just wanted to the get from A to B on time. The cabin crew balanced the needs of everyone on board. I agree with SCQ83: Europe’s history and present are different from those in the Americass therefore racism takes on different forms.

It's better to deal with problems on the ground rather than in the air. If that individual demonstrated that he is capable of causing such a disturbance on the ground, he can also do it in the air. Much more sensible to remove such potential threats before they can escalate even more.

Also, if you don't see this individual's actions as racism, then you are part of the problem.
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

WIederling

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Why do I have the impression that some of these actions appear staged?
( Same with travelers turning ballistic from hearing foreign speakers.)
Murphy is an optimist

9w748capt

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Hahaha I see that this thread has been "cleaned up". Don't want to upset the establishment now do we?

747megatop

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:57 pm

johns624 wrote:

And how would they end it? That would be "taking law into their own hands" and complicating matters further. It is best left to UK laws at this point for prosecution if laws were violated...or...will the defendent invoke "freedom of expression" clause? (NOTE : I am not siding with the guy...but clearly from the video...he didn't throw punches for example...so..what UK laws did he violate is what i am trying to understand and whether there are any loopholes where he can get away scot free).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos