Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaichinshih
Topic Author

CI Announces MXP & PRG + Considering A350-1000

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:29 am

Taking place today is the delivery ceremony of China Airlines-Airbus Co-Branded A350-900. The aircraft, registered B-18918, is the 14th and final CI A350 on order. It is decorated with a special version of the Airbus carbon fiber livery.
***Official assembly + painting video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCwrPB4xR1A***

Talking to media at the delivery event, CI CEO made a couple of major announcements:

1. The airline will be launching Milan and Prague as early as late-2019.

-MILAN: CI intends to launch 3 weekly services to MXP. Current Taiwan-Italy Bilateral Agreements allow 5 weekly services. CI serves FCO 3 times a week; there are 2 more weekly slots that can be filled. CI hopes that bilateral agreements can be expanded to allow one more weekly service.

-PRAGUE: CI is looking at 2 weekly services to PRG. CI will become the second East Asian carrier, after KE, to serve PRG. Czech tourism officials have expressed hopes for scheduled services to be launched when annual Taiwanese visitors to Czech reach the 90k mark.

-Possible 5th freedom route from Prague: CI CEO made two comments hinting a possible 5th freedom route from PRG. First, he stated how Czech officials have offered to allow 5th freedom routes from Prague. Secondly, he said how Prague may "initially be paired with Vienna". Is this hinting a possible TPE-VIE-PRG route? Let's wait and see.

2. Possible A350-1000 order: As CI still has options for 6 A350 aircraft, the airline is considering placing an order for the -1000 variant.

3. Strong financial performance on European routes: CI CEO stated that all of CI European routes were profitable last year. Most routes had load factors of over 80%.

Sources (Traditional Chinese):
https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimenews/20181022000859-260410
https://udn.com/news/story/7241/3435127
https://money.udn.com/money/story/5607/3435192
https://tw.appledaily.com/new/realtime/20181022/1451829/

Last edited by kaichinshih on Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

RainerBoeing777

Re: CI Announces MXP & PRG + Considering A350-1000

Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:41 am

Excellent news! No doubt the Airbus A350 is the best plane for CI to expand more, will be interested in the regional version to replace the A333?. The A350-1000 is excellent for its missions in North America like YVR, SFO, LAX and JFK
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

Blerg

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 am

Actually, CI becomes the third east Asian carrier to serve Prague as Hainan operates PEK-PRG-BEG with the A333.

I wonder if the Chinese government will try to pressure the Czechs into suspending these flights as they did with Athens two years ago.

kaichinshih
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:04 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Excellent news! No doubt the Airbus A350 is the best plane for CI to expand more, will be interested in the regional version to replace the A333?. The A350-1000 is excellent for its missions in North America like YVR, SFO, LAX and JFK

A333 replacements should be announced soon. Back in late-2017, CI officials stated how A333 replacements would be decided in two years (hence 2019). Let's see which aircraft they go for. If they do go for a regional version of the A350, they'd end up with a whopping 40+ A350 family fleet.

Source: https://tw.appledaily.com/new/realtime/20171026/1229051/

Blerg wrote:
Actually, CI becomes the third east Asian carrier to serve Prague as Hainan operates PEK-PRG-BEG with the A333.

You are right! The media made a mistake here.

LUKAS10

Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:14 am

Blerg wrote:

I wonder if the Chinese government will try to pressure the Czechs into suspending these flights as they did with Athens two years ago.

+ China Eastern and Sichuan Airlines...

tris06

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:17 am

Finally some news. It almost felt that management was just sitting on their hands. Great to see their European routes making a good profit it should easily neutralise some of the losses being made on some of their North American routes. Also it tells by announcing 2 European routes but no new routes to USA. Seems CI and BR will carve out strongholds on different continents. 40 + A350's would not be huge if they intend to retire the A330s (Around 22-24 at the moment). This when compared to BR would mean CI still has a smaller widebody fleet. I think ordering A350s would make sense or 330neos as Airbus has had far fewer widebody orders recently and so Airbus might be extra keen to get this order over Boeing.

Milan sounds great for our plans to ski in the french Alps in January 2020.

BNEFlyer

Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:33 am

LUKAS10 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

+ China Eastern and Sichuan Airlines...

+KE

EightyFour

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:00 am

Will CI perhaps codeshare on some of OK's intra-European routes, seeing as both are in Skyteam?

factsonly

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 am

CI has also announced that it will transition TPE-AMS-TPE from A350-900 to B77W in S19.

FromCDGtoSYD

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:07 pm

Flew them in J from FCO a couple of months ago, great product. Just wish they'd fly to CDG... guess they're limited by bilaterals

many321

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

If they get one of the A350-1000 would love to see one of them with the Skyteam livery like their 747-400.

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:47 pm

kaichinshih wrote:
-Possible 5th freedom route from Prague: CI CEO made two comments hinting a possible 5th freedom route from PRG. First, he stated how Czech officials have offered to allow 5th freedom routes from Prague. Secondly, he said how Prague may "initially be paired with Vienna". Is this hinting a possible TPE-VIE-PRG route? Let's wait and see.

I believe the article mainly paired VIE and PRG in a sense that tourist can do open-jaw itinerary, i.e. fly into VIE, tour Austria than Czech Rep., and fly out of PRG instead of having to go back to VIE to fly out (or vice versa). Same for FCO and MXP (i.e. "Fly into Rome, travel north up Italy, and fly out of Milan, or v.v."). It did mentioned that PRG (Czech authority in general) are willing to give out fifth freedom rights to CI, though, so it's definitely a "wait and see".

kaichinshih wrote:
You are right! The media made a mistake here.

Meh, it's Taiwan media. PRC is a nobody for them :duck:

tris06 wrote:
Seems CI and BR will carve out strongholds on different continents.

Indeed. It's also mentioned in the article about how it's actually not bad for CI and BR to have their own "stronghold", lessen the overlap between them while connecting Taiwan to more places around the world.

Of course, where will Starlux find their niche? :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Congrats to PRG and CI. I would say ex-HKG connecting in TPE can be a nice alternatives to ME3 or some European carrier (AY or LH mostly) going to PRG.

kaichinshih
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:12 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
kaichinshih wrote:

I believe the article mainly paired VIE and PRG in a sense that tourist can do open-jaw itinerary, i.e. fly into VIE, tour Austria than Czech Rep., and fly out of PRG instead of having to go back to VIE to fly out (or vice versa). Same for FCO and MXP (i.e. "Fly into Rome, travel north up Italy, and fly out of Milan, or v.v."). It did mentioned that PRG (Czech authority in general) are willing to give out fifth freedom rights to CI, though, so it's definitely a "wait and see".

I thought so too in the beginning. However, in a couple of related articles, it was specifically stated how "initially, the 2 weekly flights may be paired with Vienna". The word "initially" raised eyebrows. I'd imagine Prague will always be paired with Vienna for open-jaw itinerary, not just "initially". The wording seems to suggest linking the two cities in the same route. Moreover, similar description wasn't used for Milan.

zakuivcustom

Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:22 pm

kaichinshih wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
kaichinshih wrote:

I thought so too in the beginning. However, in a couple of related articles, it was specifically stated how "initially, the 2 weekly flights may be paired with Vienna". The word "initially" raised eyebrows. I'd imagine Prague will always be paired with Vienna for open-jaw itinerary, not just "initially". The wording seems to suggest linking the two cities in the same route. Moreover, similar description wasn't used for Milan.

I've re-read the article, and I guess you're correct. It definitely sounds like they may do some "pairing" between the Vienna flight and the Prague flight beyond open-jaw itinerary, at least initially. Would makes even more sense if CI can get fifth freedom between VIE and PRG (aka will definitely be a flight where Europe-based aviation geeks would try).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos