JammyBritton27
Topic Author

JetBlue Q3 2018 results

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:21 am

Revenue up 10% to $2 billion.
Excluding the one-time costs, adjusted pre-tax income was $180 million, down 39.5% YoY.
Aircraft fuel and related taxes increased 48.4% YoY.
EPS down 72% to $0.16, inclusive of $112 million in one-time costs related to the E190 fleet transition and the recently-signed pilot contract. Excluding these costs, adjusted EPS of $0.43.
Revenue per available seat mile increased 1.7% YoY.
Expects capacity to increase 7.5-9.5% YoY and RASM growth of 1-4% YoY for Q4 2018.

https://news.alphastreet.com/jetblue-earnings-q3-2018/

jfklganyc

Re: JetBlue Q3 2018 results

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 am

Considering what Delta just reported...This is another mediocre quarter for B6.

They are going to be under intense pressure from wall street to do something… Soon

avi8

Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 am

They are doing something. It seems like the E190 is anchoring them; which is why they will replace them completely. They are adding more seats to the A320 and charging more for checked bags, but things take time.
avi8

Medschool student

stlgph

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

They are going to be under intense pressure from wall street to do something… Soon

gosh, seems like yesterday I was getting schooled by all the JetBlue fans for saying they needed to do more than just offer up their pretty `Mint' service if they wanted to reap some serious financial rewards, you know, since `Mint' was apparently going to dominate every other airline out there.

oh wait, it was yesterday. and pretty much every day since 2013.

i'm still waiting for that dominance, daddy.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

jumbojet

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:15 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

I guess B6 is counting on basic economy to come save the day. Maybe that explains the extra capacity they expect to acheive in the coming quarters?

jfklganyc

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:15 pm

avi8 wrote:
They are doing something. It seems like the E190 is anchoring them; which is why they will replace them completely. They are adding more seats to the A320 and charging more for checked bags, but things take time.

Not big enough...not quick enough.

Stock will tank today

NYCSKYGUY

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Stock will tank today

See how it does relative to other stocks in the sector...could be a down day in general. Revenue and earnings seemed in line with expectations.

stlgph

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:31 pm

no, i'm talking to about a good 20 or 30 of you.

you can say what you want to say, i'll just let the JetBlue financial results speak for themselves. so far, so good.

Keep climbing!!

oh....wait.....

oops

MIflyer12

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:37 pm

That's a lot of capacity growth for a carrier that can't make LCC/ULCC industry-standard returns.

AA94

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:41 pm

stlgph wrote:
]
gosh, seems like yesterday I was getting schooled by all the JetBlue fans for saying they needed to do more than just offer up their pretty `Mint' service if they wanted to reap some serious financial rewards, you know, since `Mint' was apparently going to dominate every other airline out there.

Mint *is* a winner in the premium transcon market, but obviously you can't bet the house on it. The two thoughts are not mutually exclusive: Mint can be a financial success, and JetBlue can still have more work to do to rebuild their margins.

N757ST

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
That's a lot of capacity growth for a carrier that can't make LCC/ULCC industry-standard returns.

Until last year the returns were at or above industry average. Sans one time items they are short this year.

Also remember, much of the capacity “increase” is due to the pull down of capacity last year from the hurricane damage.

jfklganyc

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:15 pm

His point is they are growing faster than Wall Street wants them to grow.

If you do that you have to be able to look at Wall Street and say we’re not doing what you want us to do… But here are the results.

The problem with JetBlue and their stock is that they are not doing what Wall Street wants them to do and the results are not what Wall Street wants.

They got away with this with cheap fuel which made their profits soar.

That cheap fuel masked the problem I keep talking about… This management team doesn’t know what it is doing. They are slow to react and they do not think outside the box any longer. Those are two huge problems when you have as a little market share as JetBlue has.

Boston is under attack from Delta. New York is hyper competitive. Long Beach is a freaking disaster that they have no answer to. Spirit just announced a huge expansion in Orlando. Fort Lauderdale is hyper competitive.

The chickens have come home to roost… Something is going to give here.

If I was a betting man, the JetBlue we see with their current product and route structure Is going to change significantly.

They will morph into something like spirit or they will be a part of a larger airline.

jumbojet

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:35 pm

For long term growth, B6 hopefully understands that they are a very singular airline. Without MINT, where would they be? B6 needs to do something and basic economy is not the answer. In a sluggish US economy, when corporations and regular Joes cut back on travel budgets, B6 is the most vulnerable out of all the US airlines out there due to their singularity issues. B6 profits rely to much on MINT.

MSPNWA

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:44 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

You're comparing a massive airline with an LCC-like product facing low competition against a small airline with a premium product facing heavy competition. How can you expect anything better from B6?

Frankly I'm surprised B6 is doing as well as it is under the circumstances. Do we really want B6 to make the changes necessary--like a large reduction in the quality of their product? If I'm an investor, sure, but as a customer, no.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:47 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
avi8 wrote:

Stock will tank today

The stock isn't tanking.......sorry i just couldn't resist :stirthepot:

Delta's stock is down quite a bit more this morning than B6

jumbojet

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:52 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
[You're comparing a massive airline with an LCC-like product facing low competition against a small airline with a premium product facing heavy competition. How can you expect anything better from B6?

Frankly I'm surprised B6 is doing as well as it is under the circumstances. Do we really want B6 to make the changes necessary--like a large reduction in the quality of their product? If I'm an investor, sure, but as a customer, no.

B6 is not a LCC. Once they add basic economy, a good portion of their high profile routes will essentially have 4 separate components to their cabin. MINT, EMC, regular economy and basic economy. Also, their prices are directly in line with the US3. Nope, not a LCC by any stretch.

fastmover

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:55 pm

jumbojet wrote:
For long term growth, B6 hopefully understands that they are a very singular airline. Without MINT, where would they be? B6 needs to do something and basic economy is not the answer. In a sluggish US economy, when corporations and regular Joes cut back on travel budgets, B6 is the most vulnerable out of all the US airlines out there due to their singularity issues. B6 profits rely to much on MINT.

Oh good grief you and STL. They obviously know they have to do something.
All the planes coming are the high density 321s. The 190s are going away to be replaced with a much better plane. They just cut routes and city’s to focus on the hubs. Let’s go over this again for you guys. Mint was designed to help the trans con flights....full stop. Those flights were the least profitable and they needed to cut them or do something so you got Mint. It has expaned to other specific routes but it’s very targeted. If they thought Mint would fix everything it would be going in on all of the planes.

Blerg

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:03 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Isn't it a bit unfair to compare them to Delta?

MIflyer12

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:05 pm

jumbojet wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:
[You're comparing a massive airline with an LCC-like product facing low competition against a small airline with a premium product facing heavy competition. How can you expect anything better from B6?

B6 is not a LCC. Once they add basic economy, a good portion of their high profile routes will essentially have 4 separate components to their cabin. MINT, EMC, regular economy and basic economy. Also, their prices are directly in line with the US3. Nope, not a LCC by any stretch.

Oh, come on. What fraction of routes has Mint? Prices? Look at yields vs. DL, UA, or AA. They weren't even getting Alaska's average fares on a stage-length-adjusted basis.
(See slide #46.) http://investor.alaskaair.com/static-fi ... 7a1ee1b1de

B6 is a (nice) discount carrier with a few Mint routes.

MIflyer12

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Blerg wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Compare them to Southwest, Spirit, and Allegiant if you want.

jbs2886

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:11 pm

I came to look at a discussion of B6 results...I found 2-3 of the JetBlue trolls dominating the thread. If you don't want to have an educated discussion, don't visit and post on a thread. A.net isn't your place to vent.

jfklganyc

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
I came to look at a discussion of B6 results...I found 2-3 of the JetBlue trolls dominating the thread. If you don't want to have an educated discussion, don't visit and post on a thread. A.net isn't your place to vent.

Don’t read the thread then.

All posts here are relevant. No trolling.

You just don’t like what you are reading.

Or, tell us, was this a good quarter for B6?

aemoreira1981

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:28 pm

It will be interesting how well B6 copes with increased fuel prices...and I also see why the E190s are on their way out. It will be very interesting to see if GE Capital can find another customer for the ones B6 sold and leased back on delivery, and to see who would want to buy the B6-owned frames. But something to consider here is that B6 has a lot of owned assets as well (of the Airbus aircraft, 176 planes - 118 A320s and 58 A321s - are owned and 14 - 12 A320s and 2 A321s - are leased, but all of the leases are expected to be bought out at the first chance, and the Embraer fleet is 30 owned, 30 leased, for a total of 82 percent of planes owned). Revenue up, RASM up, fuel way up causing income to decrease as well as profit per share. I could see regular economy going down to 1 free bag as well to cope with increased fuel costs. Push comes to shove, JetBlue has a lot of owned assets.

MSPNWA

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:41 pm

jumbojet wrote:

I hope you're just being facetious with that misidentification.

AAflyguy

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:48 pm

jumbojet wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

No, he is calling DL out as having an LCC-type product. That’s very interesting considering all of the positive changes DL has made to its aircraft fleet in recent years, including the RJ’s of their regionals. And the onboard service has also improved in ways which have taken it back in a positive direction. We see things very differently, but I believe I’ve read lots of comments MSPNWA has made repeatedly bashing DL, so...

MSPNWA

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:57 pm

AAflyguy wrote:
No, he is calling DL out as having an LCC-type product. That’s very interesting considering all of the positive changes DL has made to its aircraft fleet in recent years, including the RJ’s of their regionals. And the onboard service has also improved in ways which have taken it back in a positive direction. We see things very differently, but I believe I’ve read lots of comments MSPNWA has made repeatedly bashing DL, so...

Compare B6's Y product (or Y+ product, or transcon J product) to DL's equivalent product (or any legacy for that matter), and tell us why DL shouldn't be considered the LCC.

Let's face it folks, the legacies ARE the LCCs now.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JetBlueCLT

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Ah yes, the doom and gloom responses from the same few people.... as per usual.
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

richierich

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Relax everybody, the B6 sky isn't falling. Costs are high, profits are down, but there is a long way to go before JetBlue is any sort of trouble. Are they a possible acquisition or merger target? Who knows, this industry is full of consolidations and growth through retraction....if there is a merger or acquisition coming, nobody posting on here knows about it, trust me. There are problems that need to be fixed, and I agree that WS probably wants quicker results, but there is still plenty of opportunity for B6. The new A220s will lower costs, for sure, and they can't come soon enough apparently. Europe will be after that. Will Mint work to Europe the same as it does on transcons? Too early to truly speculate but in theory it should.

jumbojet and stlgph are, at best, corporate shills for DL or, at worst, trolls who like to hijack JetBlue threads with a series of inconsequential "i told you so" posts...truth is they have been posting biased and one-sided information for YEARS. Their speculative demise of B6 has been something they have been crowing about since the Song days of the early 2000s, and yet here were are, quarter after quarter, still talking about B6. At least jfklganyc actually gives thoughts and insights to his posts, so credit given where credit due. Some financial periods are better than others, sure, and there is always an underlying theme to every earnings call - as with every airline, if not every company - but B6 still has a product and a brand to be reckoned with. While I will agree there are worrying signs, that is also true for the industry as a whole and not just JetBlue, although maybe B6 is at a disadvantage because of their size and the high costs of the markets they serve.
None shall pass!!!!

fastmover

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:13 pm

From the call they are looking at BOS 200 and just signed a deal for more gates with Massport

lightsaber

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:31 pm

Basic economy is a must. Too much of the market has gone there. B6 must shrink pitch to motivate buying even more space.

avi8 wrote:

The E190 has been a disaster. However waiting on the A220s is wise.

I love flying B6, but they are amateurs in yeild management.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

Blerg

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:38 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

Compare them to Southwest, Spirit, and Allegiant if you want.

I meant in the sense that JetBlue is way younger than Delta so we need to compare apples to apples.

tphuang

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:41 pm

Nothing surprising in conference call, so the stock price is kind of where you expect it. Reality is JBLU was oversold prior to this earning report, because wall street is pessimistic about its earnings going forward. So this earning was already baked into their already low stock price. Their P/E ratio is probably the lowest of the major airlines. And their RASM and CASM-ex guidance are both right in line with expectations. Wall street is still very skeptical about their cost projections.

Last year, they had among the lowest fuel cost, which masked many weak performances. This quarter, they will have among the highest fuel cost, so they need to adjust more. And this quarter, Latin America was also really weak which is a large part of their revenue. Next year, LGB will probably continue to get chipped away. A few of the small underperforming west coast will probably get cut. They don't have the luxury to focus on many places.

I didn't hear any indication that there will be a big announcement this week or even more cuts.

greendot

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:07 pm

You can't solve this problem with people like Joanna who cannot intellectually innovate. These people are great subordinates but terrible leaders. Their one good idea, Mint, didn't come from lawyers or accountants.

RL757PVD

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:16 pm

fastmover wrote:
From the call they are looking at BOS 200 and just signed a deal for more gates with Massport

Im guessing we should expect more flights from ORH soon... :roll:
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

Sancho99504

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:09 pm

They need to stop pussy footing around and open a focus in the midwest. IND, CMH, STL could all be candidates for a focus/hub city to grow revenues and profit. Pretty much only DL, UA and AA have any midwest focus
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

Sancho99504

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:10 pm

They need to stop pussy footing around and open a focus in the midwest. IND, CMH, STL could all be candidates for a focus/hub city to grow revenues and profit. Pretty much only DL, UA and AA have any midwest focus
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

Chemist

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Sancho99504 wrote:

and WN.

Moosefire

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 pm

Chemist wrote:
Sancho99504 wrote:

and WN.

All of these cities have solid FF bases for the legacies. If B6 could show up and print money they would.
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

jumbojet

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:50 pm

MSPNWA wrote:
jumbojet wrote:

I hope you're just being facetious with that misidentification.

Not at all. Its not a misidentification. Their fares pretty much match dollar for dollar with the US3 on similar routes. They have similar fees as the US3. You know what they say, if it smells like a rat, then it is a rat.

nine4nine

Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:52 pm

Sancho99504 wrote:

Why???
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

wnflyguy

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:16 pm

[*]
Sancho99504 wrote:

JetBlue has a problem called Southwest. Any chance of developing a Midwest Hub will receive strong reaction from WN.
WN was asleep at the wheel with JetBlue building up BOS and thought MHT & PVD had the area covered.
JetBlue focus is building up its 3 strong points BOS,MCO and FLL.
VX was it's best and only strong option to gain massive exposure to the west coast traffic going other places than NY,FLL or BOS.
AUS had the potential to become a great mid America connecting point but they fizzled out quickly. Now it's just another Dot.

If B6 does find itself up for sale WN will probably be the buyer. Boeing has a lot of slack to fill in the MAX7 line WN could easily make a sizeable order with mixture of M7&M8 to replace the JetBlue buses. Then cancel the A220 order altogether.
Ya you may be thinking but what about Mint and TATL.
WN would just refocus on its core M8 products and replace the JetBlue Mint service. As for TATL WN would put that possibility on the Hawaii plan and take another 10+ to maybe do it.
I've said a few times WN isn't willing or going to let smaller competition buy that much market power out east.

JetBlue failed at getting VX I doubt it will join AlaskaAir. I see Them buying Spirit airline and eliminating the FLL overlapping flying. Moving those aircraft out west and making LAS a west coast Hub with mixed hybrid experience.
This would give them ample fighting power against WN out west.
I Don't see JetBlue doing TATL within the next 5 yrs.

But nobody knows what to come with JetBlue.
But it's sure fun to guess.

You may now tear up my post
in 3,2,1 Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

Varsity1

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:29 pm

JetBlue's biggest problem is Spirit.

They had a ton of overlap. A merger would contain a ton of synergies.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Super80Fan

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:49 pm

JetBlue has many problems, being their route network, product, Spirit, Frontier, Alaska, Delta, and Southwest.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Abeam79

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:02 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
[*]
Sancho99504 wrote:

JetBlue has a problem called Southwest. Any chance of developing a Midwest Hub will receive strong reaction from WN.
WN was asleep at the wheel with JetBlue building up BOS and thought MHT & PVD had the area covered.
JetBlue focus is building up its 3 strong points BOS,MCO and FLL.
VX was it's best and only strong option to gain massive exposure to the west coast traffic going other places than NY,FLL or BOS.
AUS had the potential to become a great mid America connecting point but they fizzled out quickly. Now it's just another Dot.

If B6 does find itself up for sale WN will probably be the buyer. Boeing has a lot of slack to fill in the MAX7 line WN could easily make a sizeable order with mixture of M7&M8 to replace the JetBlue buses. Then cancel the A220 order altogether.
Ya you may be thinking but what about Mint and TATL.
WN would just refocus on its core M8 products and replace the JetBlue Mint service. As for TATL WN would put that possibility on the Hawaii plan and take another 10+ to maybe do it.
I've said a few times WN isn't willing or going to let smaller competition buy that much market power out east.

JetBlue failed at getting VX I doubt it will join AlaskaAir. I see Them buying Spirit airline and eliminating the FLL overlapping flying. Moving those aircraft out west and making LAS a west coast Hub with mixed hybrid experience.
This would give them ample fighting power against WN out west.
I Don't see JetBlue doing TATL within the next 5 yrs.

But nobody knows what to come with JetBlue.
But it's sure fun to guess.

You may now tear up my post
in 3,2,1 Flyguy

WN will not, for the umptheeth time want anything to do with buying B6, GK said they have no intention of buying anyone else, WN knows that they are not willing to put up the money and premium to buy them, then added cost to switch fleets, and all you say about canabalizing mint and tatl, would erode any benefit they built in the northeast and would be a horrible idea. I know you love wn, but I’m sorry their product would not be enough to withhold the voluminous loyalty they have amount their passengers in the northeast or be competitive with them. DL/AA/UA will poach most of them and leave wn a withered mess financially and market share. Just look how B6 benefited from VX being swallowed up by AS and gutted their popular product to now a meh product when you compare to B6’s new A321’s new mint cabin and the legacy’s upgrade to match it. It happened to the point they retracted back on transcontinental and B6 is eating their lunch on those yields.
If, and I stress BIG IF, JetBlue becomes a M&A situation, it will be a merger with AS or HA, they buy either F9 or NK, or get bought by UA, or maybe AA/DL as a distant possibility. WN will just benefit from bidding on whatever would need to be divested.
B6 Q3 finances are better than what Wall st expected. It’s obvious no one here posses a degree in airline management. All the recent..let me stress VERY recent CHANGES B6 did won’t take effect until mid 2019 and further out. Between network realigning, fare increases, unbundling we’ll see benefits around Q2 2019, then further out the completion of A320 intereiors to add more seats, A220’s fully online and E190’s out, and premium on mint expansion domestically and tatl/South America your going to see a B6 back to being the Wall st darling as long as the world doesn’t melt down in the ineterim. Everyone on here are comical with how fast one is to criticize and spell doom on B6 making clear the confirmation bias one has to keep your heroic favorite airline by possibly being further challenged by a historically well weathered disrupter of the industry. It’s comical but also lame. They will be just fine, you can’t turn around numbers that fast. Unlike DL and UA, they not only dealt with yield pressures and rising oil, but they are the most recent airline that had new labor contracts ratified so given that the numbers look pretty damn good increasing revenues over 10% than a year ago before new pilot contract was a factor, go back a couple years and look how cost rises at delta when they ratified there new pilot contracts and tell me you don’t see an added burden compared to their peers, and guess what, it will happen in about a year when DL and UA redo cba’s wih their respective unions, and they will suffer cost creep and all the others,and by then B6 will already be riding nicer margins cause they will be well passed that and their accretive revenue initiatives will be in full swing. Sounds like 2016, Its the ebb and flow of the industry folks. They all go through it. So let’s relax when one is in its lower part of the cycle, there isn’t this “omg their model is all failing”. Especially when it comes to B6; that cry has been screeching since 2001 and forward *yawn* yet here they are, and still making healthy profits and growing faster than peers.
PS..jumbojet....your still making us all laugh...

nine4nine

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
JetBlue has many problems, being their route network, product, Spirit, Frontier, Alaska, Delta, and Southwest.

Going to disect this a bit.

Route Network- Being dependent on 2 NE Hubs prone to delays from ATC or WX yes. LGB as a focus city with intra west coast flying yes. They should have focused on a western hub many years ago when space was still available (LAX,SEA,SFO) and before DL SEA buildup and VX coming to existence at SFO. While some of the network choices could be better and removing a few underperformers, I wouldn’t call the network a problem per se.

Product- Deffinately not a problem. Mint blows the doors off of any other domestic F product hands down and is very profitable for B6. They could use a softer business of Mint for the rest of the fleet. Joining the club with basic economy will help.

Other carriers- NK other than competition at FLL, not really an issue. F9 not much overlap. WN yes, but WN is very weak where B6 is very strong (transcon, red-eyes, Northeast, Caribbean/Latin America) AS not doing to well on those previous VX transcons, eliminated north/south routes on the east coast. DL fighting for BOS growth. B6 just got more gates from MassPort and will exceed the 200 mark. They are pretty well entrenched in BOS. They will continue battle against DL at JFK but the market is plenty sustainable to have more than one big kid on the block.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

OzarkD9S

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:03 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Boston is under attack from Delta. New York is hyper competitive. Long Beach is a freaking disaster that they have no answer to. Spirit just announced a huge expansion in Orlando. Fort Lauderdale is hyper competitive.

When you say New York is hyper competitive are you including AA? You have implied in the past that AA has withered on the vine in NYC and to an extent they have, but they're still a decent #2 in LGA and are not totally dead in the water in JFK. While I appreciate your insight into the NYC state of things I don't always agree with some of your opinions. Not trying to poke the bear here but is AA a competitive factor regarding your opinion of B6's current situation?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

tphuang

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

That's not true. Their main overlap is at FLL,where B6 has a pretty significant advantage. NK is not-relevant in nyc or bos. Some of their numbers out of Boston is just terrible. Almost as bad as their performance at SEA.

B6 biggest problems are WN and DL.

They don't have the cost advantage against WN to build up in any WN dominated airports. As a result, they can't get any kind of foothold in west coast, they can't build up in middle of the country like in AUS, they can't build up in a lot of places without legacy fortress hubs and they are limited at MCO. They only places they have advantage over WN are places they got in before WN did (which are only BOS, NYC and FLL).

DL is a huge problem for B6 at JFK/BOS because they have so much resource from hubs that they can sustain a lot of money loosing routes to hold down B6 margin. Just look at how few monopolies B6 has out of those 2 markets.

stlgph

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:17 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

I will never understand the obsession around here that every airline has to merger with every other airline.

JetBlue's problems are organic.

But yes, by all means, let's have them merge up with a nice, healthy carrier and fly them both into the ground, eliminating air service at a time when we need more of it, and more variety. Great idea. Keep them coming.

jfklganyc

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:26 pm

Sure, AA is a factor. UA and DL are factors. WN flying LGA-Middle of country (B6 weak spot) is a factor.

Their biggest issue in NY though is the lack of a 50 flight operation at LGA. For the CLE DTW and PIT type stuff. It would make their JFK operation (and positioning in NYC) so much stronger if they could run 3 or so flights a day from LGA to those within 1500 mile business centers.

It would give them relevance to the NY Business customer instead of the NY leisure customer. Their whole basis in NY is immigrant VFR, leisure, and some west coast business people with Mint. Their cash cow in NY is the immigrant VFR. That sounds a lot like AA and their 300s in the 1990s.

It is not a great spot to be in.

BTW, stock didnt tank today. So I will eat crow on that one!

stlgph

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:31 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:

When you say New York is hyper competitive are you including AA? You have implied in the past that AA has withered on the vine in NYC and to an extent they have, but they're still a decent #2 in LGA and are not totally dead in the water in JFK. While I appreciate your insight into the NYC state of things I don't always agree with some of your opinions. Not trying to poke the bear here but is AA a competitive factor regarding your opinion of B6's current situation?

JB needs to go back to the basics and focus on what made it good in the first place - shuttling people from the northeast/NYC to Florida/Sun. It's time to get creative. There's no shortage of people up and about at all times of the day in the city that never sleeps, how about adding some 2am or 3am flights down to the sun. Spirit's made it work with their odd schedules, proved that people are willing to do it. JFK sits on a metro of how many million people? The idea - build more revenue opportunities.

Also, I'd be looking at the partnerships. Are all these partnerships worth it? Do the math - TAP, Hawaii, and Aer Lingus all take up gate space in T5 at JFK for a number of hours per day. Is it worth it? If they get sent over to T4 or T7 - is it possible to add flights at those times? Is it worth it? How does the math add up?

Start there, and do a long, hard serious comb through the personnel roster. A nice number of the people and job titles you see on a basic scroll of LinkedIn - you have to wonder what in the hell the purpose of said job is.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos