gilesdavies

Re: Qantas 787-9 Exceeding Expectations on Perth-London Route

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:13 pm

I don't quite get why everyone is surprised that the new LHR-PER-MEL route is such a success.

By downsizing from an A380 to 789 they immediately removed nearly 250 seats a day off of the London to Australia route, in each direction.

Which works out to be, no first class to try and fill, 22 less business seats, 7 less premium economy and 205 fewer economy seats.

They can demand higher prices and only take bookings with passengers that really only want to fly Qantas and happy to pay the higher prices.

I just wonder how long it will be until 789 takes over on the London to Sydney route, and also goes via PER? Even though it will be a massive capacity hit, it will be a very profitable route, allowing them to dump further value seeking customers on to other airlines. It also frees up 2-3 A380's that it takes to operate a daily return service to London, on other more profitable routes to the US and Asia.

I am one of the passengers that airlines hate, cost conscious and wanting the best value for money. Flown China Airlines new Gatwick-Tapei route and connected on to Australia in Premium Economy for £990 return, Qantas wanted £2200+! For that saving it cost me 5-6 hours extra in travel time, compared to the new direct Perth service.

Having flown Qantas Premium Economy LHR-DXB on the A380, I can genuinely say Qantas' hard product was no better, than China Airlines A350 and the extra premium you pay to fly QA is not for this reason and purely for time saving. Maybe Qantas is more targeted to a western audience with regards to IFE and service, but CI were still excellent. Seats were great, loads of space with 7 abreast seating (where Singapore and Cathay Pacific, fit 8 abreast in PE). Nice food, reasonable IFE with enough western choice and personable/efficient crew.

Ryanair01

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:28 pm

gilesdavies wrote:
I don't quite get why everyone is surprised that the new LHR-PER-MEL route is such a success.

By downsizing from an A380 to 789 they immediately removed nearly 250 seats a day off of the London to Australia route, in each direction.

I could not agree more with your post.

I'm not sure that they'll use 789s LHR-SYD because it is a much larger market than MEL as SYD is still Australia's main gateway. I do suspect that Project Sunrise will spell the end of QF 380s to LHR though.

thekorean

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:24 pm

QF to FRA would probably be the next route out of PER. Wasn’t that their last European destination outside London?

getluv

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:24 pm

gilesdavies wrote:

Which works out to be, no first class to try and fill, 22 less business seats, 7 less premium economy and 205 fewer economy seats.

They can demand higher prices and only take bookings with passengers that really only want to fly Qantas and happy to pay the higher prices.

I just wonder how long it will be until 789 takes over on the London to Sydney route, and also goes via PER? Even though it will be a massive capacity hit, it will be a very profitable route, allowing them to dump further value seeking customers on to other airlines. It also frees up 2-3 A380's that it takes to operate a daily return service to London, on other more profitable routes to the US and Asia.

I am one of the passengers that airlines hate, cost conscious and wanting the best value for money. Flown China Airlines new Gatwick-Tapei route and connected on to Australia in Premium Economy for £990 return, Qantas wanted £2200+! For that saving it cost me 5-6 hours extra in travel time, compared to the new direct Perth service.

Having flown Qantas Premium Economy LHR-DXB on the A380, I can genuinely say Qantas' hard product was no better, than China Airlines A350 and the extra premium you pay to fly QA is not for this reason and purely for time saving. Maybe Qantas is more targeted to a western audience with regards to IFE and service, but CI were still excellent. Seats were great, loads of space with 7 abreast seating (where Singapore and Cathay Pacific, fit 8 abreast in PE). Nice food, reasonable IFE with enough western choice and personable/efficient crew.

A few things to note:
    - All the QF A380s are getting cabin upgrades from mid 2019 to the latest product. There will be more premium cabin seating as well. 14F, 70Y (+six), 60 W (+25) and 341 Y(-30)
    - QF have a very loyal frequent flyer base and have many exclusive contracts in place across corporate companies in Australia
    - You're someone not all airlines hate but to be fair QF doesn't want you. It doesn't really target budget passengers
    - QF needs the A380s on these routes because it actually does fill up all the premium cabins day in day out even in low season, especially on the SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR sectors.
    - QF also has JetStar Asia so it can target UK originating passengers who only want to travel to Asia.
I'm that bad type.

benjjk

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:35 am

thekorean wrote:
QF to FRA would probably be the next route out of PER. Wasn’t that their last European destination outside London?

Yes it was and it was only closed relatively recently (2013). I'm curious as to why the talk of a second destination has been focused on CDG.

moa999

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:07 am

One reason is that CDG didn't work as rights meant it could only operate 4x/wk on the 747.
On a 787 it could go daily, which is important to attract high yielding corporate traffic

RJMAZ

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:32 am

moa999 wrote:
One reason is that CDG didn't work as rights meant it could only operate 4x/wk on the 747.
On a 787 it could go daily, which is important to attract high yielding corporate traffic

Why not have both?

CDG and FRA.

Launching 787's from Perth to both Germany and France would be a perfect transitional step. It is a great non risk way of testing demand and building a presense in Europe.

Step 1: You start with one daily flight from Perth originating from either Sydney or Melbourne. Easy to fill from the start as you have a catchment area of all Australian capitals.

Step 2: You upgrade to two daily flights from Perth one originating from Sydney and one from Melbourne.

Step 3: You do non stop from both Melbourne and Sydney with project sunrise aircraft. You could even do one city non stop if it it had significantly more demand and keep the other through perth.

Qantas could use these three steps to hit a dozen European cities. There are dozens ways to get to these European cities from Australia with many airlines stopping at their hubs. For people here to say there is not enough demand is just crazy. Qantas with their non stop only have to capture a fraction of the premium customers from the dozen competing airlines.

Kikko19

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:50 am

benjjk wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Yes it was and it was only closed relatively recently (2013). I'm curious as to why the talk of a second destination has been focused on CDG.

Unless LH Will go A350 from MUC. That would cover all central Europe. I see also TK going SYD sooner than later to feed east southern Europe.

QF742

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:26 am

RJMAZ wrote:
moa999 wrote:

Why not have both?

CDG and FRA.

Launching 787's from Perth to both Germany and France would be a perfect transitional step. It is a great non risk way of testing demand and building a presense in Europe.

Step 1: You start with one daily flight from Perth originating from either Sydney or Melbourne. Easy to fill from the start as you have a catchment area of all Australian capitals.

Step 2: You upgrade to two daily flights from Perth one originating from Sydney and one from Melbourne.

Step 3: You do non stop from both Melbourne and Sydney with project sunrise aircraft. You could even do one city non stop if it it had significantly more demand and keep the other through perth.

Qantas could use these three steps to hit a dozen European cities. There are dozens ways to get to these European cities from Australia with many airlines stopping at their hubs. For people here to say there is not enough demand is just crazy. Qantas with their non stop only have to capture a fraction of the premium customers from the dozen competing airlines.

I think it is unlikely we will see QF serving a dozen European cities any time in the near future, if ever. I would say a best case scenario would be SYD/MEL-LHR on the Project Sunrise aircraft, PER-LHR/CDG/FRA on 789s with PER acting as a hub. Even then QF may gradually move those flights to SYD if Project Sunrise is successful.

parapente

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:56 am

Based on the Perth results it's hard to see why Syd and Mel to London won't be hugely successful.
Regarding Perth/Europe they would be stupid not to be running the slide rule over FRA and indeed CDG.Why not?Cost nothing to run the numbers.They will already have a lot of historic information on costs and infrastructure,so shouldn't be too tricky.
If they were to happen and work from Perth then obviously the same would be more true of SYD and MEL.
Interesting times.

qf789

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:10 am

RJMAZ wrote:
moa999 wrote:

Why not have both?

CDG and FRA.

As moa999 bilaterals are an issue for CDG

The bilateral states the following

AVAILABLE CAPACITY:
Route 1

3.0 units of capacity per week in each direction.

The designated airlines of Australia may enter into arrangements with other airlines, including airlines of third countries, to undertake services through code share, blocked space or other joint venture arrangements - currently there is no capacity available..

Route 2

Passenger services:

Seven (7) weekly frequencies in each direction using any aircraft type.

Cargo services:

The designated airlines of Australia may freely determine the frequency of service, capacity and aircraft type to be operated.

Route 3

Passenger services:

1512 seats per week in each direction

Cargo services:

Two all-cargo services per week with a capacity of up to 28 tonnes.

Further information about such arrangements can be obtained from the Department of Infrastructure, Regional Development and Cities.

Aircraft substitution formula for Route 1:*

Aircraft Seat Capacity Coefficients

400 seats and above 1.0 unit
360 - 399 seats 0.9 unit
320 - 359 seats 0.8 unit
280 - 319 seats 0.7 unit
240 - 279 seats 0.6 unit
200 - 239 seats 0.5 unit
150 - 199 seats 0.4 unit
aircraft below 150 seats 0.25 unit

Note * When a B747 Combi aircraft is used by a designated airline, it will use the equivalent of one unit of capacity.

If the application of the foregoing ratios for each aircraft type will result in the total capacity entitlements for the designated airlines of Australia being exceeded, such excess will be permitted provided that it is no more than 0.25 units of capacity.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/ ... 151018.pdf

Furthermore Qantas future plans for Europe will be LHR, CDG and FRA with FCO an outside chance. Other than that we are not going to see other destinations in Europe and certainly not 12.
Forum Moderator

aviationaware

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 am

Kikko19 wrote:
benjjk wrote:
thekorean wrote:

Unless LH Will go A350 from MUC. That would cover all central Europe. I see also TK going SYD sooner than later to feed east southern Europe.

Chances of Lufthansa starting a flight to Perth are less than zero.

Kikko19

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:19 pm

aviationaware wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
benjjk wrote:

Sorry I should have written SYD. Central Europe is the origin of many immigrants to Australia. And with the right product IMHO it might work;)

DominikR83

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:38 pm

They definitely are less then zero.
LH withdrew from Australia already decades ago due to lack of profit. Being a member of Star alliance they have TG and SQ with a very dense network to Australia which they can use so it wouldn`t make any sense for them to offer direct service to Australia by themselves.There is simply not enough demand from germany/Europe that would make this route profitable for LH.

qf2220

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:22 am

aviationaware wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
benjjk wrote:

This is, technically, not possible ;)

qf2220

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:30 am

QF742 wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:
moa999 wrote:

Why not have both?

CDG and FRA.

I think it is unlikely we will see QF serving a dozen European cities any time in the near future, if ever. I would say a best case scenario would be SYD/MEL-LHR on the Project Sunrise aircraft, PER-LHR/CDG/FRA on 789s with PER acting as a hub. Even then QF may gradually move those flights to SYD if Project Sunrise is successful.

Now that they are there I think the 789s from PER will stay. It will depend on slots of course (but QF has 4 pairs, and are only using 2 at the moment) but Id see that in time PER would still support a daily flight to LHR (with connections from HBA, ADE, CBR etc), alongside dailies from SYD and MEL, and maybe in time BNE.

PER might also be able to support less than dailies to CDG, FRA and FCO, perhaps in tandem with direct flights from SYD/MEL etc that would allow for efficient aircraft and crew rotations to lower port costs in Europe.

RJMAZ

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:34 am

qf2220 wrote:
QF742 wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:
Why not have both?

CDG and FRA.

Now that they are there I think the 789s from PER will stay. It will depend on slots of course (but QF has 4 pairs, and are only using 2 at the moment) but Id see that in time PER would still support a daily flight to LHR (with connections from HBA, ADE, CBR etc), alongside dailies from SYD and MEL, and maybe in time BNE.

PER might also be able to support less than dailies to CDG, FRA and FCO, perhaps in tandem with direct flights from SYD/MEL etc that would allow for efficient aircraft and crew rotations to lower port costs in Europe.

I think you are a little confused.

Each day Perth would probably have 100+ unused landing and takeoff slots. It is not a busy airport with a fraction of the movements compared to Sydney or Melbourne. Qantas could do a dozen flights to Europe each day within the month if it wanted.

You might have meant gate capacity. Qantas can simply shift a domestic flight or ideally a Jetstar flight to use portable stairs and use that gate for the premium international flight.

There is plenty of space at Perth.

DeltaB717

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:50 am

qf789 wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:
moa999 wrote:

Why not have both?

CDG and FRA.

As moa999 bilaterals are an issue for CDG

The bilateral states the following

AVAILABLE CAPACITY:
Route 1

3.0 units of capacity per week in each direction.

The designated airlines of Australia may enter into arrangements with other airlines, including airlines of third countries, to undertake services through code share, blocked space or other joint venture arrangements - currently there is no capacity available.

Aircraft substitution formula for Route 1:*

Aircraft Seat Capacity Coefficients

400 seats and above 1.0 unit
360 - 399 seats 0.9 unit
320 - 359 seats 0.8 unit
280 - 319 seats 0.7 unit
240 - 279 seats 0.6 unit
200 - 239 seats 0.5 unit
150 - 199 seats 0.4 unit
aircraft below 150 seats 0.25 unit

Note * When a B747 Combi aircraft is used by a designated airline, it will use the equivalent of one unit of capacity.

If the application of the foregoing ratios for each aircraft type will result in the total capacity entitlements for the designated airlines of Australia being exceeded, such excess will be permitted provided that it is no more than 0.25 units of capacity.

https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/ ... 151018.pdf

Furthermore Qantas future plans for Europe will be LHR, CDG and FRA with FCO an outside chance. Other than that we are not going to see other destinations in Europe and certainly not 12.

There is a much-talked-about arrangement between Qantas and the French Government to permit Qantas to operate up to 7x weekly with B789s in their current configuration. This is a formal extra-bilateral arrangement, and I understand there is work underway to make this extra-bilateral arrangement available to all Australian-designated international carriers.

parapente

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:57 am

Does anyone know the price premium across the 3 classes (or not) between flying non stop with Qantas or one stop via Dubai? Clearly ,as stated by the airline the route is highly profitable but that must be due to a complex mix of factors.Both cost and revenue.
The aircaft must of course burn more fuel -but how much more is hard to figure (for me).One goes the most direct route possible even taking favourable winds into account.The other must divert to Dubai and land and takeoff up to cruising altitude.and of course there has to be landing charges.But no doubt these are only some of the cost issues.
In terms of revenue the number of seats/classes (I am guessing) are the same hence wondering what the margin difference may be.
What would happen I wonder if the class mix changed?There has been talk of Virgin having a go.Now they have a huge global leasure business.Would the business numbers fall apart if there was -say less business class but more premium and Y?

ClassicLover

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 am

gilesdavies wrote:

Don't QF still have more slots at LHR that are unused and leased to BA? That would allow at least another return flight to be operated in addition to what's there now.

I can't see the A380s being not used on the London route though. They do fill them up as others have pointed out. You don't want to spill passengers to other carriers if you can avoid it.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

qf789

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 am

ClassicLover wrote:

Don't QF still have more slots at LHR that are unused and leased to BA? That would allow at least another return flight to be operated in addition to what's there now.

I can't see the A380s being not used on the London route though. They do fill them up as others have pointed out. You don't want to spill passengers to other carriers if you can avoid it.

Yes QF have 2 slot pairs leased to BA
Forum Moderator

qf2220

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:22 am

RJMAZ wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
QF742 wrote:

I think you are a little confused.

Each day Perth would probably have 100+ unused landing and takeoff slots. It is not a busy airport with a fraction of the movements compared to Sydney or Melbourne. Qantas could do a dozen flights to Europe each day within the month if it wanted.

You might have meant gate capacity. Qantas can simply shift a domestic flight or ideally a Jetstar flight to use portable stairs and use that gate for the premium international flight.

There is plenty of space at Perth.

Not at all confused - but perhaps wasn't explicit in my wording. I was referring to LHR having slot constraints but QF having 4 pairs..... Sorry for the confusion.....

qf2220

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:24 am

ClassicLover wrote:
gilesdavies wrote:

As i noted before, I can see 4 daily services to LHR, from SYD, MEL, BNE and PER. These would be priced as premium flights. Perhaps, if they can get some slots, an additional A380 ex SYD might also make sense, via SIN or another midpoint, to mop up some of the economy demand that might want to fly QF. But perhaps not either.

Gemuser

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:38 am

qf2220 wrote:
As i noted before, I can see 4 daily services to LHR, from SYD, MEL, BNE and PER. These would be priced as premium flights. Perhaps, if they can get some slots, an additional A380 ex SYD might also make sense, via SIN or another midpoint, to mop up some of the economy demand that might want to fly QF. But perhaps not either.

You maybe right but IMHO it is more likely to be SYD x2, MEL & PER. The second SYD flight to be an A380 via SIN or DXB [my money would be on DXB one SYD-LHR goes non stop, to give improved connections to Europe]. PER could also have non stop service to FRA & CDG as well.

Gemuser

JBusworth

Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:08 am

I always thought that Alan Joyce (QF CEO for those who don't know) had said 4 daily into LHR comprising of SYD, MEL and PER direct and SYD via SIN. That would be alongside CDG and or FRA from memory.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos