Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

United debuts new marketing campaign "Uniting the World"

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:47 am

While nice and dandy as the company seeks to push a refreshed image of itself, imo United needs to actually rebrand while also finish up with Polaris seat refits before pushing a campaign highlighting how the carrier connects the world.

United Airlines this week is unveiling new commercials seeking to vividly illustrates the carrier’s overarching marketing theme of connecting people from around the world.

Developed by United’s ad agency of record McGarryBowen New York, the spot uses the interesting and unusual conceit of positioning musicians closely associated with one city or region of the world in a completely different locale elsewhere as a graphic in the background of the sequence shows a line being drawn between the two very different destinations featured in the visuals.

United also is planning to roll out over the next several weeks a social media campaign tied to the new TV commercial. Four video vignettes will showcase four different cities and four different musicians reimagining “Rhapsody” in a fashion inspired by the particular city where each musical artist is based.

United Airlines debuts new ad underscoring carrier's global reach
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/new ... ew-ad.html

Here is one of the videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEsp1s7Zjio
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ksfo777

Re: United debuts new marketing campaign "Uniting the World"

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:52 am

LAXintl wrote:
While nice and dandy as the company seeks to push a refreshed image of itself, imo United needs to actually rebrand while also finish up with Polaris seat refits before pushing a campaign highlighting how the carrier connects the world.

Couldn't agree more. They really need a fresh new branding with new logo, etc. That would actually give them more bang for the buck!

Now that the oil prices are going up, not sure if they will ever embark on a rebranding strategy.

sldispatcher

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:02 am

Will this obsession about the "brand" (really the logo) ever cease? Thought this was about a new ad campaign?

I would far rather them invest in the onboard product that spend the multiplied millions to repaint planes and change logos on signs, gates, hard product etc. The money needs to be spent on the product and not the packaging.

splitterz

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 am

I like it!

Perhaps a rebrand is on the horizon. Maybe I am an optimist.

UPlog

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 am

With extended family at United, I also wish for a rebrand.

Rebranding and breaking from the vestiges of former CO livery would further help breakdown the us versus them mentality still very much alive in the workforce based on their legacy affiliation.
Something both sides can rally around and which no one can claim belonging to their past employer would be nice to see.

I also find UA tone deaf with some it's marketing such as the strong Polaris push when in reality there were almost no equipped planes.
I fly your boxes

airzona11

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:08 am

In the cabin and airports their branding isn’t so outdated. Their planes need a new livery yesterday.

intotheair

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:12 am

I love it. Nice, simple, and definitely United. It also feels a little more human than some of the first post-merger ad campaigns.

W/r/t the brand, I get the feeling that UA is slowly building up to it. Now that UA finally has its head out of its ass with product reinvestment and a reliable operation, a rebrand in the next 2-3 years wouldn't be money wasted.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

Max Q

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 am

‘Rhapsody in blue’ was tired and
monotonous years ago

Time to drop it
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

ericm2031

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 am

It seems very similar to their inflight safety video. Although their branding might be getting tired, the majority of their customers don't really care.

They've made a lot of improvements, still have work to do, but the numbers don't lie...they are delivering.

The company is proud of what they have achieved, and they finally feel comfortable showing that off.

janders

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:05 am

Think they need to first truly unite the workforce. Nearly every day I see the snickering between the sides.

Yes rebrand would make sense if for no other reason break the bond with the past and indeed show there is a new united United.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

rwsea

Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:25 am

United is on the up. The airline is doing well operationally and is in the midst of a huge international expansion, and arguably has the best international network of the US3. Clearly the turnaround plan is working and the toxic history of Smisek & Co. is starting to fade. There's still work to do, but it's an exciting time for UA. This marketing campaign is excellent and I hope to see more and more of it.

Agree with the others - it's time for the dated 90s CO branding to go.

LupineChemist

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:12 pm

I do like the ad and think UA is definitely doing a lot better and think the improvements should be lauded even if not sufficient yet. Particularly actually getting Polaris lounges open.

Though, isn't the image for Shanghai the bamboo forest in Arashiyama Kyoto? Or do all paths in bamboo forests just look the same?

bunumuring

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:40 pm

Hey guys,
I like the ad, simple and clear message. Hopefully Australia & NZ may feature in upcoming ones!
I believe too, like many posters above, that it's time for United to introduce a new livery/branding. I absolutely loved the previous 'rising' multi-hued blue colourscheme.
Cheers,
Bunumuring
I just wanna live while I'm alive!

dtw2hyd

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:40 pm

So the only complete route is New York to Buenos Aires. Rest all have unknown origins or an unknown layover.
All posts are just opinions.

ua900

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:50 pm

A bit daring to put musical instruments at the center of the ad given the coverage when something bad happens. Didn't know they accept alphorns to SFO, but good for them. Seems like they are building on the "safety is global" safety demo videos, where do they some mix ups, like placing that Hispanic looking couple in some imaginary German Octoberfest event. Are they still doing the pre-departure "Rhapsody in blue" boarding music? I don't recall that being played lately.

Nice to see the campaign tying in with the previous <Destination name here> friendly campaign by still using the connecting dots style for the city pairs. Now if they could only resolve to not do the monotone color scheme in the name of seeing the logos display nicer on mobile devices, but LH and their other partners seem to do the same there.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

tpaewr

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:58 pm

Connecting People Uniting the World has been internally the company’s “Shared Purpose” for some time now. It actually launched just prior to 3411, but was drown out in all that mess. So it is just taking on a more public posture now.

As note on the endless rebranding talk. Outside the aviation world and of course the echo camber of Anet I am shocked by how many people in their 30s and under view the logo not as CO (who they may only have vague recall of) but as United.

Not unlike they see Boeing’s logo and no one mentions McD.

CarlosSi

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:39 pm

I agree with comments regarding the need to improve the hard product rather than just repaint the fleet for aesthetics sake, although consistently seeing this route map on UA’s advertising makes me wonder if that could evolve to appearing on their jets; a globe/Death Star replacement?

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/3851691/u ... 80-0-0.jpg

Aptivaboy

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Will this obsession about the "brand" (really the logo) ever cease? Thought this was about a new ad campaign?

I absolutely agree. United needs to work on improving its customer service and in-flight services before even thinking about rebranding. I fly them multiple times per year and they are easily one of the most Jekyll and Hyde airlines out there. You never know which United you're going to see on any given day. When they're great, they're really great, but when they're bad...

ScottB

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:53 pm

UPlog wrote:
Rebranding and breaking from the vestiges of former CO livery would further help breakdown the us versus them mentality still very much alive in the workforce based on their legacy affiliation.
Something both sides can rally around and which no one can claim belonging to their past employer would be nice to see.

That won't solve the "us vs. them" mentality. The result will be the sUA employees thinking "we won" (brand is still "United") and the sCO employees thinking "we lost" (all vestiges of CO gone).

rwsea wrote:
Agree with the others - it's time for the dated 90s CO branding to go.

Except that so many others think that it should be replaced with even more dated 1970s branding because that was "timeless." :sarcastic:

Flighty

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Some would say "uniting the world" could be a nightmarish concept. It's been tried before...

BobbyPSP

Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Max Q wrote:
‘Rhapsody in blue’ was tired and
monotonous years ago

Time to drop it

Strongly disagree. I liked it from the beginning and still do. It's part of their signature

Back on topic, I've had nothing but good experiences with United including my last trip 2 weeks ago. Everything on time with outbound via DEN and return SFO, luggage came out fast both in PDX and upon return to TUS. Crews were friendly, clean aircraft, things like power and IFE worked.

FSDan

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:05 pm

I do like the video. As an AvGeek, I especially appreciate that they were accurate in showing a connecting dot when necessary, while omitting that for ORD-PVG and MUC-SFO that have nonstops.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

zakuivcustom

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:28 pm

LupineChemist wrote:
I do like the ad and think UA is definitely doing a lot better and think the improvements should be lauded even if not sufficient yet. Particularly actually getting Polaris lounges open.

Though, isn't the image for Shanghai the bamboo forest in Arashiyama Kyoto? Or do all paths in bamboo forests just look the same?

There are bamboo forest(s) near Shanghai. I do agree that it doesn't quite "represent" Shanghai, though.

N649DL

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:30 pm

sldispatcher wrote:

I would far rather them invest in the onboard product that spend the multiplied millions to repaint planes and change logos on signs, gates, hard product etc. The money needs to be spent on the product and not the packaging.

Frankly, I think they're too cheap to actually pull off something like a new logo. Either that or just because it's still called "United Continental Holdings" maybe they are contractually obligated to keep the stupid logo. I always thought it was a dumb move and surprised it hasn't been altered at all in 7+ years.

The advert itself is nothing new. They've been touting the "network" and "connecting people" for years now. To me the actual sounds relating to the cities is confusing. Especially PHX. Seriously? Another less than stellar advert for UAL. The ones they made when UA reputation was really in the toilet after the merger for the Olympics in 2012 were far better.

DeltaPrince

Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:44 pm

Blah. I actually had to look at the date on the YouTube video to make sure this wasn't one of their commercials from the 80s.

It's as tired as their logo.

VTORD

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:08 pm

The re-branding debate aside, it's a nice, clean, simple commercial. I like it.

shamrock350

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:16 pm

I like the advert but it's definitely just more of the same from United, I feel like I've could have seen it five years ago.

I never thought I'd say this but ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ is starting to feel tired and the message United is sending is neither unique or interesting, "Uniting the World" sounds like it was plucked from a hat of generic airline slogans.

United has been through the wringer a fair bit in recent years and the brand hasn't gone unscathed, I wasn't an advocate for a rebrand but upon viewing this latest campaign I think maybe now is the time for an updated look or at least a new approach to the current image?

NoTime

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:25 pm

I like it, and I've always liked Rhapsody in Blue.

caljn

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:31 pm

I like the ad. Clean, simple, elegant. Rhapsody is a classic in and of itself and inextricably tied to United Airlines. Such a positive association is quite difficult to acquire.
And those still criticizing the service of UA have likely not been a customer this past year. They have clearly "upped" their game and it shows.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:34 pm

How effective is advertising anymore? Are corporate contracts filled because of a commercial? Does the average consumer (not tied to an airline already) see an ad and think, "huh, I wonder if their service is better than (another airline)?"

Advertising is incredibly important to some businesses, but not to others. As has been discussed on a.net ad nauseum, airlines don't compete on anything anymore except frequency, non-stops, and price. I doubt most infrequent travelers care in the slightest about the name of the airline, only how cheap the flight is. Business fliers care about the perks and being able to use them.

Don't get me wrong - the United/Continental logo is okay, but not spectacular. However, I think the days of most knowing or caring about the logo are over - "get me there, get me there cheap, and get me there on time, and you can call yourself Air Plutonium for all I care!" is the mantra of most fliers, not fancy commercials or bragging about your service.

Just my two cents.

TW870

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:22 am

I think the commercial is fantastic. Concise focus on musical instruments, and the rhapsody in blue grounds it in a particular legacy and keeps it from drifting into generic 1990s multiculturalism.

Overall, though, the baggage in the current brand - in this case I mean the logo and font - weighs down what I think is a totally successful ad. I end up with this disorienting mash-up in my head of Saul Bass 747SP at Hong Kong - David Dao teeth smashed out dragged off plane - high design Polaris Lounge. United is on the cusp of an excellent operation, but they need to recognize that the merger decade was a debacle, and they are competing against KL, DL, CX, JL, QR, and so many carriers who have their act together. It is time to do the rest of the branding as well as this ad.

Max Q

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:00 am

RIB was a good theme decades ago but it’s terribly monotonous and tired now, it represents the old UA which is epically different from today’s global powerhouse resulting from the best strategic merger in history

Two great airlines with totally different cultures are now one, that deserves an entirely new identity, from livery to theme music

‘Uniting the world’ however is superb
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

airtrantpa

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:13 am

I was hoping for a bagpiper or something Scottish, but however the world instrument thing is pretty cool.
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

UAL777UK

Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:45 am

I like it and the day the drop Rhapsody in Blue is the day they turn the lights off in Willis Tower IMHO. Its part of United!

United787

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:04 pm

Rhapsody never gets old, hope it never goes away.

Great commercial in the spirit of all that is good at UA. But, I am a little surprised that they connected routes with a stop and not chosen routes that are non-stop to begin with... it seems like it diluted the message a little. Any airline can take you somewhere with a connection, UA takes you to more places internationally, non-stop...

Although I am a tulip fan and I hate the Smisek designed brand, I am glad they haven't changed the livery and branding yet. I think it was important to turn the airline around before coming up with something new. I think we are getting to the point where a rebrand and new livery is appropriate but NOT with the tulip or death star. That said, if they don't change it, it isn't the end of the world either.

As to the bitter pmCO and pmUA folks, get over yourselves. There were pros and cons of both airlines but more importantly, IT WAS 8 YEARS AGO! I think UA has developed into the best airline in the US and you should be proud to be a part of it. I am proud to be United787 ;)

BTW, does anyone know how to change the photo on my profile? I put Smisek's stern face on there as a joke years ago and now can't figure out how to change it. It is like I am cursed and have to look at his stupid face everytime I get on A-Net... :(

DarthLobster

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Duplicate, mods please delete
Last edited by DarthLobster on Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthLobster

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Not enough. Complain all you want about how no one will shut up about the need for a logo change, but UA is literally the only carrier in the US who hasn’t refreshed their brand this century* (Rhapsody in Blue doesn’t count since Smisuck abandoned it).

UA has repeatedly demonstrated over the past few years that it doesn’t care about its employees or customers , and the Polaris debacle has only reinforced that. Their current corporate image and livery are practically old enough to run for President and was already dreadfully boring as it was. There’s nothing “United” about United anymore, either in the definition of the word or the history of the carrier, and anyone who flies on them can see that.

Without a major image refresh, all these efforts are basically cheap lip service.

Pi7472000

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Great new ad campaign! I am glad they kept rhapsody as it synonymous with United Airlines. They really need to change the logo as it represents a divided company. It is really weird they kept the United name, but a CO logo. No other merger has tried to keep two cultures. PMUA always had much better marketing and more of a premium feel than CO.

highflier92660

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:07 pm

It accomplishes little to dwell on fine airline commercials of the past, but so many today make one want to groan. If the late Leo Burnett were alive his glasses would fog over. Here is a United Air Lines commercial from 1973 titled Mother Country with folk singer Bonnie Koloc, a great tune and actor Burgess Meredith doing a voiceover. "Your land is our land everywhere the big bird flies..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2_y6Qr3acc

Flighty

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Max Q wrote:
RIB was a good theme decades ago but it’s terribly monotonous and tired now, it represents the old UA which is epically different from today’s global powerhouse resulting from the best strategic merger in history

Two great airlines with totally different cultures are now one, that deserves an entirely new identity, from livery to theme music

Disagree. A brand that galvanizes people like United / Rhapsody, or Chevy Truck / Like A Rock, is a once in a lifetime achievement. Or Cadillac, or Coca-Cola. People try to re-define these brands at their peril. That's called making nothing out of something. You can't re-define something that is set in stone. United is Rhapsody, in the psychology of Americans over age 30 anyway. Can't be changed.

United as a company has long been thoroughly mediocre - and on the upswing, and I respect that. Hope Chevy does well too. But that branding keeps you alive even after you have nothing left of value. And we saw exactly that with United. It's the best branding in the US market. If JetBlue had a song like that, they would win everybody's hearts - but they don't.

TW870

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:21 pm

Max Q wrote:

I totally disagree. I think it is a timeless tune. And its association with United dates back to the ad campaigns of the second half of the 1980s and early 1990s when United became the biggest international player in the U.S. By that period, the iconic brands - Pan Am and TWA - were in financial crisis. Although PA and TW's service had been superb, things had gone down hill as those airlines struggled. As much as I was so sad to see PA go, United bought brand new airplanes - the 744 and eventually the 777 - to vastly improve the service on those routes. That was the original rhapsody in blue era, and for most people it brings up good memories. It is why I made UA my number one target for finding a job in the airline industry. I left my NW home town and went to work for UA.

mm320cap

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:29 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
Not enough. Complain all you want about how no one will shut up about the need for a logo change, but UA is literally the only carrier in the US who hasn’t refreshed their brand this century* (Rhapsody in Blue doesn’t count since Smisuck abandoned it).

UA has repeatedly demonstrated over the past few years that it doesn’t care about its employees or customers , and the Polaris debacle has only reinforced that. Their current corporate image and livery are practically old enough to run for President and was already dreadfully boring as it was. There’s nothing “United” about United anymore, either in the definition of the word or the history of the carrier, and anyone who flies on them can see that.

Without a major image refresh, all these efforts are basically cheap lip service.

I completely disagree. As a 25 year employee, United is light years ahead of where it was 3-5 years ago in terms of how it cares for its employees. I’ll leave the debate about how well UAL takes care of its customers to, well, our customers. But I can tell you that every time I strap on the uniform I work my tail off to make sure our guests are safe, comfortable, on time, and as well taken care of as possible.

blooc350

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:04 pm

Very nice United! Reminds me of this old SQ commercial- but with the SQ, the transitions between the countries was a lot smoother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIkNzhM2b70

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos