Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

smallvoyageur
Topic Author

Delta to get rid of single use plastics

Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:36 pm

Just a few hours after the European Parliament voted to ban single use plastics like straws, stirrers and balloon sticks, Delta has announced it is doing the same in its flights and lounges next year.

https://news.delta.com/beyond-straw-del ... oard-clubs

MIflyer12

Re: Delta to get rid of single use plastics

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:37 pm

That's a very small subset of single-use plastics they're seeking to eliminate. I still see a lot of plastic drink cups go into garbage bags instead of being collected for recycling. Compare that weight of plastic to stirrers and straws. But they need to start somewhere.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:41 pm

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. It may not seem like much, but it is a good start.

The problem with food waste, though, is consumers trying to figure out in which waste bin to place their materials - if places can make the instructions clear, I think people will try and do the right thing, even when they are in a hurry.

But congratulations for at least starting this program!

winGl3t

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:09 pm

It is very important to large companies to embrace environmental policies, even if they look like a small thing at first.
Many companies doing small changes can help to create a new mindset for millions of costumers worldwide.
Thumbs up for DL!

MSPSXMFLIER

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Good decision by Delta. You have to start somewhere and I’m sure that as time passes, more plastic items will go the way of these.

richierich

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:58 pm

Nice move by DL, hopefully we'll see all other major airlines follow suit soon. I wish they would remove the plastic straws, stirrers and disposal non-renewal cups from my office, but to be honest, washing out a coffee cup after every use is a waste of water. Can't win.
None shall pass!!!!

CALAV8R

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:10 pm

richierich wrote:
Nice move by DL, hopefully we'll see all other major airlines follow suit soon. I wish they would remove the plastic straws, stirrers and disposal non-renewal cups from my office, but to be honest, washing out a coffee cup after every use is a waste of water. Can't win.

Both United and American have previously stated that they'll be ditching their plastic stir sticks and straws, with UAL beginning this process in November. I hope European majors follow.

https://hub.united.com/united-shedd-the-straw-2602243443.html

Yflyer

Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:37 pm

One thing that struck me years ago was how much disposable plastic stuff was given out on long haul flights on US carriers versus their European counterparts. I first noticed it when took a Lufthansa flight and connected to a United flight. Both flights were similar lengths (routing was BLR-FRA-IAD). On LH, even in economy, we were given metal cutlery and I think even real glasses with our meals, or at least a reusable plastic cup. On UA, it was plastic cutlery, disposable plastic cups. Like I said, it was striking how much more stuff simply got used once and tossed into the trash on the UA flight.

Bobloblaw

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:19 pm

ocean plastic comes from China and India not the first world

NYPECO

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
ocean plastic comes from China and India not the first world

A small percentage comes from the first world. It's not a lot, but it's still good to reduce plastics.

TTailedTiger

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Well a better idea would be to use glass plates and real silverware instead of paper and plastic in the Sky Clubs.

jubguy3

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:20 pm

richierich wrote:

It depends on how you look at it. I study environmental sciences and the topic that explains this “virtual water” is incredibly interesting. Every resource, like a plastic cup, has an identifiable amount of water used to create it - this includes every single aspect like the procurement of the oil, water used to grow the paper for the packaging, the water used for every transportation of derivative resources, etc. Essentially, virtual water is the water that constitutes a product. A pair of jeans is something like 2000 gallons. However, because this water is virtual, it can be considered an export commodity. Even water contains virtual water because it cannot be purified without waste (every gallon of water takes on average 2 gallons of input.) Brazil exports very little water but exports unthinkable amounts of virtual water. Part of understanding virtual water is that every resource has a value, and a ceramic cup or a nalgene takes water to manufacture.

What you need to know is that washing something is 99 percent of the time more efficient than disposing it. Disposing a plastic bottle is essentially draining the water used to make it. It gets a little tricky if you’re deciding between draining 10 gallons of virtual brazilian water, or using 1 gallon of Arizona water.

My suggestion is to get a nalgene or a hydro flask. If you only ever use water inside of it you rarely, if ever, have to wash it. I have a nalgene that I’ve filled tens of thousands of times. It’s beat up but it still works great.

redzeppelin

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:44 pm

As I said in the other thread: The first step toward eliminating the plastic cups is to just give me the whole can of soda (chilled :)).

dmstorm22

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:49 pm

redzeppelin wrote:
As I said in the other thread: The first step toward eliminating the plastic cups is to just give me the whole can of soda (chilled :)).

I'm fully on-board with this proposal.

I'll never understand the seeming fly-by-night decisions by the FA to give a full can vs. just one cup.

Maybe there is some logic and I'm too lazy to find out, but I flew EWR-IAH-EWR on UA last week, got full can one way and just the cup the other.

B757Forever

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:51 pm

redzeppelin wrote:

We may as well lock the thread. People are talking crazy now! :lol:
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.

alggag

Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:56 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
Well a better idea would be to use glass plates and real silverware instead of paper and plastic in the Sky Clubs.

I was surprised by that the first time I went to a Sky Club. I understand using plastic in the air for the weight and logistical concerns but it's just wasteful (not to mention tacky) on the ground.

global2

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Bravo DL!

YYZLGA

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 am

I hope that if they're getting rid of plastic straws, they're replacing them with paper ones. There are people who need straws for health reasons, and other people just prefer to drink with one, especially when sitting in a confined space.

jubguy3

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:22 am

YYZLGA wrote:
I hope that if they're getting rid of plastic straws, they're replacing them with paper ones. There are people who need straws for health reasons, and other people just prefer to drink with one, especially when sitting in a confined space.

They will be replacing them with compostable straws pin request. I believe they might actually be required to provide them by the ADA for people lacking the ability to lift, tilt, and drink from a cup. It’s a single use straw ban, not a straw ban.

LewisNEO

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:03 pm

Great news but they are not going complete plastic less. I read somewhere there is an airline trying to ban all plastic packages but I can't remember which one it is
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Fokker 27, Bombardier Dash 8, Embraer 175 & 195, 727-200, 737-200 & -300 & -400 & -800, 747-400, 767-300, 767-400, DC 10-30, A320-200, A330-200, A330-300, A380.

ACCS300

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:35 pm

Well done and a high-profile change which will hopefully start a domino-effect amongst US carriers. As previously mentioned, it seems US carriers are far bigger offenders than many EU carriers. In Canada, AC and WS are pretty terrible too.

admanager

Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
That's a very small subset of single-use plastics they're seeking to eliminate. I still see a lot of plastic drink cups go into garbage bags instead of being collected for recycling. Compare that weight of plastic to stirrers and straws. But they need to start somewhere.

On Delta, the plastic cups are collected and not put in the trash (I've always heard they were recycled) unlike recent HA, AS, UA flights where they were simply put in the trash.
Kudos to DL for this step.

questions

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:02 pm

All of those 8oz Dasani water bottles are a HUGE waste.

It’s a nice service offering. But the sheer number of them used on a daily basis is crazy. And it encourages the “I have to have my own bottle” mentality.

Aptivaboy

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Bingo!!! :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

LewisNEO

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:22 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:

Bingo!!! :checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

You know, a few years back in the time of Continental, on my flights from Amsterdam to Houston, they used to always give me the whole can. N extra plastics, no cup just one question: do you like to have the whole can? Not just a small can, just the full can of 12oz. Sometimes I was asleep and I woke and then some great crew put me another full can. Those where the days.
You are the wind beneath my wings.

Fokker 27, Bombardier Dash 8, Embraer 175 & 195, 727-200, 737-200 & -300 & -400 & -800, 747-400, 767-300, 767-400, DC 10-30, A320-200, A330-200, A330-300, A380.

Aptivaboy

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm

LewisNEO, I look at it like this. When they game me the full can, I wasn't thirsty again a little while later. So, I didn't ask for another can. That's less aluminum being used, so a net reduction in waste. I got more fluids, and the environment got a little bit less trash. That's just my take.

I miss Continental, too. What a great airline there in the late nineties and up until the hated merger. Sigh...

dz09

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:26 pm

what people are not aware of is that in the US, unlike europe, recycling is taken seriously and disposal of trash is very regulated. If I mix plastic with regular trash or with glass I get a heavy fine from the town. Therefore I prefer a plastic cup or fork over an improperly cleaned glass.

twicearound

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Airlines do not and can not recycle on international flights. ALL international waste is incinerated for bio safety reasons.

Aptivaboy

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:56 am

Even aluminum cans? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. Paper and plastic products I was aware of, but not aluminum cans.

Thanks for any input.

Bob

WayexTDI

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:04 am

dz09 wrote:
what people are not aware of is that in the US, unlike europe, recycling is taken seriously and disposal of trash is very regulated. If I mix plastic with regular trash or with glass I get a heavy fine from the town. Therefore I prefer a plastic cup or fork over an improperly cleaned glass.

I don't know which part of the US and which part of Europe you're looking at. But, from my eyes, it's the other way around: the US (Georgia at least) couldn't care less while Europe (France) is very strict about it.

WayexTDI

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:05 am

twicearound wrote:
Airlines do not and can not recycle on international flights. ALL international waste is incinerated for bio safety reasons.

Didn't Martinair bring their trash back to the Netherlands and handled it from there?

questions

Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:16 am

WayexTDI wrote:
I don't know which part of the US and which part of Europe you're looking at. But, from my eyes, it's the other way around: the US (Georgia at least) couldn't care less while Europe (France) is very strict about it.

Are you suggesting that trash removed from incoming flights at Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport is not recycled appropriately because the State of Georgia doesn’t care?

Is Delta’s recycling program a hoax?

Are feckless ATL airport officials working in conjunction with corrupt local and state governments that don’t care about the environment?

“From my eyes...” What have you witnessed? Please share. Do you have any other sources that paint the story of what’s really going on? These things are covered up all the time. Do you think Delta flies it’s trash in cargo just to get it back to Atlanta because Georgia is so lax? Do you have any photos or videos or taped conversations with Airport or government officials? You could be onto something really big here. You could bust this thing wide open!

Or do you think it’s possible that Delta, and maybe Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport, operates to a higher standard than the corrupt local and state politicians operating under the principle “Government of the people, by lobbyists and donors, for lobbyists and donors?”

gatibosgru

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:28 am

richierich wrote:

There are some alternatives to single use items that are biodegradable so you also don't have to wash them.
@DadCelo

WayexTDI

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:38 am

questions wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Are you suggesting that trash removed from incoming flights at Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport is not recycled appropriately because the State of Georgia doesn’t care?

Are feckless ATL airport officials working in conjunction with corrupt local and state governments that don’t care about the environment?

“From my eyes...” What have you witnessed? Please share. Do you have any other sources that paint the story of what’s really going on? These things are covered up all the time. Do you think Delta flies it’s trash in cargo just to get it back to Atlanta because Georgia is so lax? Do you have any photos or videos or taped conversations with Airport or government officials? You could be onto something really big here. You could bust this thing wide open!

Or do you think it’s possible that Delta, and maybe Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport, operates to a higher standard than the corrupt local and state politicians operating under the principle “Government of the people, by lobbyists and donors, for lobbyists and donors?”

I was responding to dz09, who was speaking on a personal level ("I"); I took it as "I, the individual" and responded accordingly, not as "I the corporation".

On an individual level, Georgians in the majority don't give a rat's behind about recycling; in most places, you have to drive your own recyclables to a sorting station or pay your trash company extra for recycling bins.
On the other hand, again on an individual level, French are forced to sort and recycle (often having 4 or 5 different bins - organic/compostable, plastic, glass, paper/cardboard, rest - per household).

airbazar

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:57 am

dz09 wrote:

Uh? What are you talking about? What you are describing only exists and very few towns/cities in the U.S. while that practice has been widespread in Europe for decades. Here in the U.S we don't even recycle styrofoam or plastic bags.
Yflyer wrote:
One thing that struck me years ago was how much disposable plastic stuff was given out on long haul flights on US carriers versus their European counterparts. I first noticed it when took a Lufthansa flight and connected to a United flight. Both flights were similar lengths (routing was BLR-FRA-IAD). On LH, even in economy, we were given metal cutlery and I think even real glasses with our meals, or at least a reusable plastic cup. On UA, it was plastic cutlery, disposable plastic cups. Like I said, it was striking how much more stuff simply got used once and tossed into the trash on the UA flight.

That's not just LH. That's true everywhere. Ever eaten in a mall food court in Europe? Heck even most fast food places have reusable cups and cutlery. Trash disposal is expensive in Europe. It's more economic to wash and re-use than it is to throw away.

SeoulIncheon

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:03 pm

From what I know using single-use cutlery vs. real stuff(real glass/ceramic/etc.) has legal implications in the US and cafeteria using real stuff are subject to more regulations (=higher cost) - thus many hotel and lounges that serve food on single-use cutlery in the US.

nikeherc

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:50 pm

The thing about individual 8 ounce water bottles is that the water does not come from the plane’s potable water system. Everything I have heard about the potable water on airplanes tells me not to drink it.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

questions

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:37 pm

nikeherc wrote:
The thing about individual 8 ounce water bottles is that the water does not come from the plane’s potable water system. Everything I have heard about the potable water on airplanes tells me not to drink it.

Passengers do not need an individual single serving bottle of water. They can be served in a glass from a larger bottle of water.

nikeherc

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:29 pm

questions wrote:
nikeherc wrote:

Passengers do not need an individual single serving bottle of water. They can be served in a glass from a larger bottle of water.

They can, but there is not that much difference in the total amount of plastic, you don't need the cup, you can re-cap your individual bottle to avoid spillage and it is quicker and easier to just hand some one a bottle instead of pouring a cup of water.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

questions

Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:15 pm

nikeherc wrote:
questions wrote:
nikeherc wrote:

They can, but there is not that much difference in the total amount of plastic, you don't need the cup, you can re-cap your individual bottle to avoid spillage and it is quicker and easier to just hand some one a bottle instead of pouring a cup of water.

Glass. Not a plastic cup. I’m referring to the 8oz Dasani bottles of water that Delta passes out generously to First class passengers. Other beverages are served in a glass — soft drinks, juice, beer, wine, cocktails. Water could and should be served from a larger water bottle into a glass.

Aesma

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:37 pm

At my workplace plastic cups have been replaced with paper cups, in coffee machines. The company restaurant has never used single use silverware.

I'm not a frequent flyer like many on this board but I can't remember ever getting a straw. Recently on vietnam airlines no straw, previously on AF no straw either. When I take wine or a spirit it goes without saying but even for a coke (AF gives a full, mini can) it's a plastic glass and no straw. I guess they might have some straws available on request.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dz09

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:37 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
questions wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

I was responding to dz09, who was speaking on a personal level ("I"); I took it as "I, the individual" and responded accordingly, not as "I the corporation".

On an individual level, Georgians in the majority don't give a rat's behind about recycling; in most places, you have to drive your own recyclables to a sorting station or pay your trash company extra for recycling bins.
On the other hand, again on an individual level, French are forced to sort and recycle (often having 4 or 5 different bins - organic/compostable, plastic, glass, paper/cardboard, rest - per household).

here in New Jersey, you do not mess with recycling. you do it and you do it right or you get a ticket. I can't imagine this is not the norm in the US. As for Europe, I did not see any significant trash sorting in Spain, France or Italy.

Breathe

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:47 pm

dz09 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
questions wrote:

here in New Jersey, you do not mess with recycling. you do it and you do it right or you get a ticket. I can't imagine this is not the norm in the US. As for Europe, I did not see any significant trash sorting in Spain, France or Italy.

Maybe recycling varies between local authorities rather than central/federal government? :confused:

kalvado

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:07 am

Many US local recycle programs are fairly lousy, since processing recycle actually cost quite a bit. With recent China refusal to accept US trash, things will likely become even worse - expect most recycle being compacted and sent to landfill at least for some time.

CobaltScar

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:11 am

Studies have shown that when you pour water for customers out into a plastic cup, they are more apt to just ask for coke or juice. If you offer them a sealed bottle of water instead they will take it. This is why certain airlines don't pour water and instead offer single serve water bottles.

Also I think most of the recycling on aircraft is for show. Between the bags getting thrown into the same cart on the plane, to the stations emptying all the carts into the same big trash bins, everything gets mixed and therefore not recycled.

Like most things i the "green" movement, its all for show so richer people can feel better about their over-consumption.

WayexTDI

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 am

dz09 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
questions wrote:

I can tell you that France is recycling; the program is mandated by the Government (what you'd call Federal or Central Government).
All the rest of Europe I have seen does recycle (granted I have not seen it all).

But you generalized (US = recycling, Europe = not recycling) while using the wrong assumptions.

Aesma

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:21 am

New Jersey is supposed to be representative of the US ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

airbazar

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:15 pm

dz09 wrote:

As someone who does not live in NJ I can tell you it is not the norm in the rest of the U.S. Even where there is a town ordinance that mandates it, such as where I currently live, it is not enforced. And you may have not seen trash sorting in Europe because it is not needed as much as here. Recycling practices do vary from country to country but Europeans are far less wasteful than Americans although I admit that that has changed a bit since the time when I lived there. When I lived in Europe there was no such thing as a "to-go" cup for example. Styrofoam, forget it. If you wanted a coffee you sat down and drank it out of a re-usable cup. And I believe it's still very much like that. Also no one bought "single-serve" plastic bottles. Hell even in a restaurant/cafe you have to beg to get the whole can of soda :) The concept of walking around with a can/bottle/cup in hand is very much and American thing, hence why you might not see as much trash sorting in public. But I guarantee you that at home and in the workplace it has been happening for decades. The first time I heard about someone getting fined for improper sorting of household recyclables in Europe was in the 80s. That's how long recycling has been mandated in some European countries.

DeltaMD90

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:05 pm

Another anecdote, but from where I have spent most time in the US (Georgia and Florida) most people don't give a thought to recycling, at all. I see people throw away plastic bottles in the trash can even when there is a plastic recycling bin literally right next to it (and this is far from a rare sight.)

I'll hold onto used bottles until I get home so I can recycle them because most places don't have recyling bins. Drives me nuts but basically everyone I'm around throws away recyclables without a thought. I'm the extreme minority from what I've seen in the States.

Anyway, kudos to Delta for getting rid of a lot of needless waste

USAirKid

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:41 pm

In the US it is very much a regional thing. In Seattle we have mixed recycling and compost collection everywhere in the city. Businesses are required to recycle and compost.

The city even tried inspecting and fining people who didn’t recycle and compost, but that was declared illegal. (It was an unconstitutional search, since it was being carried out by a government contractor.)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos