Cbusflyer
Topic Author

BrewDog launching one time London to Columbus flight.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:33 pm

BrewDog is launching a flight from London to Columbus for a 4 day trip of Columbus's breweries and also a day trip to Cincinnati.

https://www.10tv.com/article/brewdog-la ... d-columbus

Breathe

Re: BrewDog launching one tine London to Columbus flight.

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Cbusflyer wrote:
BrewDog is launching a flight from London to Columbus for a 4 day trip of Columbus's breweries and also a day trip to Cincinnati.

Given their form, this doesn't surprise me! It'll be interesting to see how successful it is. If it's successful, I can see them launching charter the other way around from Cincinnati to Aberdeen.

gatibosgru

Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 pm

STN-CMH on a 767, should be a fun ride!
@DadCelo

smokeybandit

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I know they have a brewery there, but sorry,I wouldn't exactly pick Ohio has a haven of craft beer in the USA.

hOMSaR

Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:09 pm

Whose 767 is this? I can only assume they're chartering from somebody.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

Cunard

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:48 pm

If it's STN to CMH I'm assuming that the charter flight will utilising a Titan Airways B767.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

777PHX

Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:03 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
I know they have a brewery there, but sorry,I wouldn't exactly pick Ohio has a haven of craft beer in the USA.

I can't imagine many Europeans falling over themselves to come check out the craft brewery scene in Columbus, Ohio.

I just ran through a list of every craft brewery in Ohio and didn't recognize any of them.

stlgph

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:22 pm

It doesn't matter if you recognize the Columbus breweries or not, but traveling to cities to check out their breweries, is becoming a thing, particularly in the U.S., bringing many people to Charlotte, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and beyond.

Glad to hear that it's attracting interest overseas. That's rather fun.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

777PHX

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:21 pm

stlgph wrote:
It doesn't matter if you recognize the Columbus breweries or not, but traveling to cities to check out their breweries, is becoming a thing, particularly in the U.S., bringing many people to Charlotte, St. Louis, Indianapolis, and beyond.

I can assure you people aren't flying transatlantic to St. Louis, Indianapolis, or Charlotte to check out their craft breweries.

Furthermore, the Europeans have been brewing beer since the dawn of time. Why would they want to come to flyover country USA and go to some podunk brewery with a tiny production volume and no distribution when they could go somewhere like Dublin, Munich or Prague for a much better experience? Or hell, if you had to come to the US to go to breweries, why would you go to Columbus, Ohio, which has no street cred in the craft brewing industry?

Cute idea, but not remotely viable.

stlgph

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:30 pm

Sure, it's entirely a stupid idea and not even remotely viable....which is why someone is doing it.

I have investments in 4 microbreweries, and of those 4, 1 is in Indianapolis and another in St. Louis. Each has a fair share of people on a daily basis coming through the city from all over the U.S., and yes, even outside the U.S., doing a "local circuit" while in the area of the many breweries in each of the 2 cities.

cedarjet

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Only 200 and something seats on a 767 so I’m sure they’ll have no trouble filling it, Brits like visiting the USA and they love beer more than any other nation on Earth. Why not?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

sw733

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:44 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Only 200 and something seats on a 767 so I’m sure they’ll have no trouble filling it, Brits like visiting the USA and they love beer more than any other nation on Earth. Why not?

Per Capita, the UK is actually only #25 when it comes to beer consumption. 2016 list was:

1) Czech Republic
2) Namibia (yay!)
3) Austria
4) Germany
5) Poland

peanuts

Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:54 pm

777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I can assure you people aren't flying transatlantic to St. Louis, Indianapolis, or Charlotte to check out their craft breweries.

Furthermore, the Europeans have been brewing beer since the dawn of time. Why would they want to come to flyover country USA and go to some podunk brewery with a tiny production volume and no distribution when they could go somewhere like Dublin, Munich or Prague for a much better experience? Or hell, if you had to come to the US to go to breweries, why would you go to Columbus, Ohio, which has no street cred in the craft brewing industry?

You.Are. Clueless.

Like with coffee (America's coffee was just weird tasting 20 yrs ago, but look at it now, it's advanced like crazy), the (craft) beer market in N. America is top notch and highly competitive. E.g. the Tampa Bay Area is on the forefront of it and there is a huge (beer) tourism market there for festivals.

flycmh2009

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:02 pm

Doesn't surprise me. Brewdog's North American HQ is just outside of Columbus. A rather large distribution facility attached to the brewpub, along with two other brewpubs in the city of Columbus itself. They also have plans in the works for a "beer inspired" hotel at HQ, complete with beer spa treatments and stocking rooms with their products. They've been expanding like crazy here and venturing into creating "experiences" that complement their beers.

And while Columbus may not have a nationally (or internationally) known craft brew scene, there is a fair amount of breweries present. Additionally, Cincinnati has deep German roots (as evidenced by the aptly named Over-The-Rhine neighborhood), and a fantastic beer scene. A one-off tour like this sounds like a great idea.

airbazar

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:02 pm

777PHX wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

I can't imagine many Europeans falling over themselves to come check out the craft brewery scene in Columbus, Ohio.

I just ran through a list of every craft brewery in Ohio and didn't recognize any of them.

Isn't that kinda the point about craft beer? If it's available outside of where it's produced it's not really craft anymore.

HPRamper

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 pm

airbazar wrote:
777PHX wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Isn't that kinda the point about craft beer? If it's available outside of where it's produced it's not really craft anymore.

That has literally nothing to do with whether or not a beer is craft. Ingredients and production limits are what matters.

I get your point though....the more widely available a beer is, the more it feels like a macro to me. Kills the adventure of having to travel to try new brews.

gatibosgru

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:34 pm

This isn't a regularly scheduled commercial flight. They will operate this twice (I'm assuming 2 roundtrips?). It's not like they have to fill daily seats, and this is if anything good PR for them, so I don't understand the poo-pooing.
@DadCelo

cedarjet

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:38 pm

gatibosgru wrote:
This isn't a regularly scheduled commercial flight. They will operate this twice (I'm assuming 2 roundtrips?). It's not like they have to fill daily seats, and this is if anything good PR for them, so I don't understand the poo-pooing.

Probably just stick the plane on a remote stand for a few days and the crew in a hotel; no point in operating empty back to STN, then again out to the USA empty.

People are poo-pooing it because they’re idiots or something happened to them as children.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

CMHSRQ

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Has anyone actually read the article?

The charter is for Equity Punks only. Those are the investors in the company. BrewDogs N American production is in Central Ohio. They also have a hotel and 3 bars here.

In additional there is the Columbus Ale Trail which focuses on craft beer. Currently 43 breweries participate.

Columbus has a long and significant history brewing.
The voice of moderation

kabq737

Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:43 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

They definitely pop up in unexpected places though. You’d be shocked by how big the brewing business is here in New Mexico.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

Vasu

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:02 pm

This looks amazing! Right up my street... planes and craft beer together?! Then I saw the price... looks like my beer trips will continue to be Ryanair flights to Warsaw Modlin for the time being!

TWA772LR

Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 pm

777PHX wrote:

The the point of craft brewing. Make a crappy beer that only a handful of people like and buy so they can call themselves special. Ill take my Bud Light (where I know how it will taste anywhere in the world) over any shitty craft beer any day.

Now brewers like Sam Adams, Blue Moon, and even Shiner, at al, they're too big (and in some cases too good) to be considered craft anymore, IMO.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

sw733

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:22 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

The the point of craft brewing. Make a crappy beer that only a handful of people like and buy so they can call themselves special. Ill take my Bud Light (where I know how it will taste anywhere in the world) over any shitty craft beer any day.

Now brewers like Sam Adams, Blue Moon, and even Shiner, at al, they're too big (and in some cases too good) to be considered craft anymore, IMO.

Blue Moon never was craft, it’s Coors

737MAX7

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:57 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

You talk about crappy beer and then say you drink bud light.... pot meet kettle. Anyhow there are some really good craft breweries in and around Columbus. Columbus Brewing, Seventh Son, Wolfs Ridge and Hoof Hearted make fantastic brews. If you expand the area to Cleveland, Akron and southern Ohio you have Fat Heads, Platform, Thirsty Dog, Hoppin Frog, Brew Kettle and Jackie O’s. Just because you’ve never heard of them doesn’t mean they don’t make great beer.

stlgph

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:33 am

TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Bud Light?

That needle just went way into the negatives for any credibility around here.

dredgy

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:14 am

777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Im flying transpacific to Indianapolis next year in 2020 to do it. America is renowned for their craft beer in both Europe and Australia. And little breweries that no one has heard of is kind of the point...

And BrewDog has a bunch of loyal fans, this tour will be packed.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:19 am

Knowing British people I bet this goes out full. Sounds fun to me! Travel to a place they would never normally go and see local breweries is the point. It's a good choice because it's a place they would never go and breweries they would never have access too.

stlgph

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:32 am

dredgy wrote:
777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Im flying transpacific to Indianapolis next year in 2020 to do it. America is renowned for their craft beer in both Europe and Australia. And little breweries that no one has heard of is kind of the point...

I suggest a visit to Daredevil.

For....no reason.

None.

Absolutely none.

None at all.

I promise.

TWA772LR

Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:40 am

737MAX7 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

You talk about crappy beer and then say you drink bud light.... pot meet kettle. Anyhow there are some really good craft breweries in and around Columbus. Columbus Brewing, Seventh Son, Wolfs Ridge and Hoof Hearted make fantastic brews. If you expand the area to Cleveland, Akron and southern Ohio you have Fat Heads, Platform, Thirsty Dog, Hoppin Frog, Brew Kettle and Jackie O’s. Just because you’ve never heard of them doesn’t mean they don’t make great beer.
737MAX7 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

stlgph wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Bud Light?

That needle just went way into the negatives for any credibility around here.

737MAX7 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

Lol the example was I know Bud Light is consistent and I'd rather have a beer I know is crappy instead of being let down by "craft beer allure", especially when a BL is cheaper than craft. Plus I'm not a beer snob hahahahaha.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

mattdell

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:19 am

777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

My beer friends and I have traveled from London to various provincial towns in Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Spain, and Oregon solely to visit breweries and local bars I can assure you the market is there.

My fellow Equity Punk friends and I are currently weighing up this Brewdog trip. At £1,250 all-in (2 people sharing a room) it's not unreasonable.

As a plane enthusiast and beer geek, what I really want to know before I sign up is which plane they're chartering. Given the single price for a ticket my guess is it will be an all-economy flight.

csturdiv

Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:46 am

Aviation and craft beer are two things that I love. When I travel, I always look and see what the local breweries are, I've even done a few trips just for beer. Craft beer lovers are dedicated and love to try new things. In the craft beer scene here in Sydney, I often talk to people who go to the west coast of the US just for beer. There is even a local brewery tour outfit here (which I am a frequent customer of) that is having a New Zealand craft beer cruise. I wanted to do it, but just do not have the time off. Beercations and beer tourism is big and there is definitely a market for something like this, regardless if these flights are special ones for investors and so on.
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

stlgph

Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:43 am

Then join an investor trip and become an investor ;0

Breathe

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:52 pm

Just found this article on a local new site, then looked at the top 5 trending stories on the right! :shock:

I'm sure that won't put the BrewDog passengers off though. :rotfl:

PI4EVER

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 pm

I have family that lives in suburban Philadelphia. A huge craft beer community in nearby DE, MD, NJ and PA.
A favorite spot in the Philly area is Manayunk, Lansdale, Doylestown and beyond Center City Philadelphia the Northern Liberties area.
Along the coastal areas a vibrant craft beer scene in Ocean City, MD, Rehoboth Beach, DE and along the Jersey shore.
A charter to the Philly area to sightsee and taste test craft beers in the region would be a huge potential "charter" market.
Don't assume some Podunk little place doesn't offer great food, entertainment and specialty beer in a welcoming atmosphere that is attractive to a huge audience.
Europeans would enjoy a long weekend in the Philly area and use of public transport is easy and convenient.
You can travel from the PHL Airport on a Septa Regional Rail train to Lansdale and walk to Round Guys Brewery or Well Crafted for food, entertainment and great beer choices and stay overnight in the area or rail back to Center City for an in-city hotel.
And while there visit the Liberty Bell, Constitution Hall and the original White House. And don't miss the Beer Garden on Market St.
watch what you want. you may get it.

777PHX

Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:25 pm

stlgph wrote:
Sure, it's entirely a stupid idea and not even remotely viable....which is why someone is doing it.

I have investments in 4 microbreweries, and of those 4, 1 is in Indianapolis and another in St. Louis. Each has a fair share of people on a daily basis coming through the city from all over the U.S., and yes, even outside the U.S., doing a "local circuit" while in the area of the many breweries in each of the 2 cities.

I spent the first 30 years of my life in STL. They aren't doing anything there that isn't happening in any other mid-size American city. I find that STL people are far too provincial thinking to think outside of their tiny little sphere when it comes to matters like this and it seems Columbus falls into that same category too. Craft brewing is nationwide, this isn't something that's only happening in a handful of crappy midwestern cities. I started my career at that little brewery on Pestalozzi St in STL, I mean, fuck me, what would I know, right?

737MAX7 wrote:
If you expand the area to Cleveland, Akron and southern Ohio you have Fat Heads, Platform, Thirsty Dog, Hoppin Frog, Brew Kettle and Jackie O’s. Just because you’ve never heard of them doesn’t mean they don’t make great beer.

The point is, if i'm in the industry and I haven't heard of it, what's going to make someone from the other side of the ocean come over here for it?

TWA772LR wrote:
Lol the example was I know Bud Light is consistent and I'd rather have a beer I know is crappy instead of being let down by "craft beer allure", especially when a BL is cheaper than craft. Plus I'm not a beer snob hahahahaha.

Bud Light isn't even good piss water beer. Miller and Coors Light are much better in that arena.

sw733 wrote:

That line has been blurred now that a certain someone has been gobbling up US craft brewers over the past few years. But you're right, it originally started as a project ultimately owned by Coors.

stlgph

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:01 am

As others have said, half the fun is going on a random tour and hitting up a bunch of different breweries that arent known.

As you said "fuck me, what do I know?" ... well, apparently you don't know that people, are, in fact traveling to these apparent "crappy little midwestern cities" to travel around the town for the beer scene, you seem to not know how to go out and just have a good time. But carry on.

gatibosgru

Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:21 am

TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

You must be fun at parties. Bud Lite is the least beer of them all, but I guess it's a matter of opinion. Consistency does not mean quality.

Anyway, there is clearly a demand for craft beer, whether some people think it sucks or not, so I'm happy to see this happening! Hope it goes well for them.
@DadCelo

737MAX7

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:36 am

777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

I spent the first 30 years of my life in STL. They aren't doing anything there that isn't happening in any other mid-size American city. I find that STL people are far too provincial thinking to think outside of their tiny little sphere when it comes to matters like this and it seems Columbus falls into that same category too. Craft brewing is nationwide, this isn't something that's only happening in a handful of crappy midwestern cities. I started my career at that little brewery on Pestalozzi St in STL, I mean, fuck me, what would I know, right?

737MAX7 wrote:
If you expand the area to Cleveland, Akron and southern Ohio you have Fat Heads, Platform, Thirsty Dog, Hoppin Frog, Brew Kettle and Jackie O’s. Just because you’ve never heard of them doesn’t mean they don’t make great beer.

The point is, if i'm in the industry and I haven't heard of it, what's going to make someone from the other side of the ocean come over here for it?

TWA772LR wrote:

Bud Light isn't even good piss water beer. Miller and Coors Light are much better in that arena.

sw733 wrote:

That line has been blurred now that a certain someone has been gobbling up US craft brewers over the past few years. But you're right, it originally started as a project ultimately owned by Coors.

No offense but if you are in the industry and have never heard of any of those especially multiple GABF award winner Fat Heads maybe you don’t know the industry as well as you think.

rutankrd

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 am

For those that don’t know the Brewdog branded beers are extensively available at leading UK supermarkets , hell even my local garage in North West London for some reason I can’t quite understand.

Yet try as I might I can’t find a single northern English Mild anywhere !

stlgph

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:07 am

gatibosgru wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
777PHX wrote:

You must be fun at parties. Bud Lite is the least beer of them all, but I guess it's a matter of opinion. Consistency does not mean quality.

Anyway, there is clearly a demand for craft beer, whether some people think it sucks or not, so I'm happy to see this happening! Hope it goes well for them.

Agreed. Bring it on. Would like to see more of it, per se, but at the same time, don't want to see it get too out of control. What I mean by that is, take Nashville for example, great scene, great town, but the tour operators capitalizing on other tourism in the area, have kind of overran the microbrewery scene and it's become quite commercialized. It's rather hard to show up at some places and enjoy it, have a great conversation with the brewmaster who is probably doubling as the bartender, and being able to talk to other people enjoying the scene sitting at the bar, or what have you.

So, yeah, with that in mind, I'll definitely take my "crappy midwestern cities" where it's a little slower, such as Columbus, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and beyond, and can have a conversation about the brand, the product, and the story, rather than just exchanging a couple of $5 bills.

crownvic

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:03 pm

I’m confused multiple references from a.netters about this being a 767 yet despite what the captain says the video shows them standing in the aisle of a narrow body aircraft and the photos are of a 737 ....what am I missing???think the whole thing is a joke !

IndyHoosier

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:42 pm

737MAX7 wrote:
777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

737MAX7 wrote:

TWA772LR wrote:

sw733 wrote:

No offense but if you are in the industry and have never heard of any of those especially multiple GABF award winner Fat Heads maybe you don’t know the industry as well as you think.

My thoughts exactly.

IndyHoosier

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 pm

stlgph wrote:
dredgy wrote:
777PHX wrote:

I suggest a visit to Daredevil.

For....no reason.

None.

Absolutely none.

None at all.

I promise.

I second that. Daredevil makes some great beers.

IndyHoosier

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:46 pm

dredgy wrote:
777PHX wrote:
stlgph wrote:

Let me know if you need any recommendations for Indy, beer or otherwise!

stlgph

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Yes we do. ;)

HOOB747

Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:27 pm

I hope they drink themselves silly, because Columbus is the most boring, bland city in the U.S... A city with no character or personality whatsoever.
I love dem planes....

Cbusflyer
Topic Author

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:05 pm

HOOB747 wrote:
I hope they drink themselves silly, because Columbus is the most boring, bland city in the U.S... A city with no character or personality whatsoever.

So boring that it's the fastest growing major metro's in the midwest. One the finalist for Amazon's new HQ2. Sure it is, lacking in the scenery department but I find it to be an awesome up and coming metro.

Breathe

Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:44 pm

crownvic wrote:
I’m confused multiple references from a.netters about this being a 767 yet despite what the captain says the video shows them standing in the aisle of a narrow body aircraft and the photos are of a 737 ....what am I missing???think the whole thing is a joke !

Its not a joke:

https://www.brewdog.com/airline/

DeltaRules

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:14 am

HOOB747 wrote:

I just spent a week in New York and, given the choice of places to call home, would pick Columbus seven days a week.

Breathe wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Its not a joke:

https://www.brewdog.com/airline/

If we're being really pedantic, the PSUs in the cabin are Airbus. ;)
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

stlgph

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:23 am

HOOB747 wrote:

Yeah, a city definitely sucks when everyone is out on the town having themselves a good time, eating, drinking, and dancing the night away and you can't find anyone to come inside and join you playing flight simulator.

It happens.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos