atal17
Topic Author

Air India resumes Mumbai-New York JFK from 07DEC

Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:03 am

Air India has announced it will resume flights between Mumbai and New York JFK effective 07DEC18

Flight schedules -

AI105 BOM0100 - 0655JFK 77W 357

AI106 JFK1105 - 1210+1BOM 77W 357

Bookings have commenced.

Blerg

Re: Air India resumes Mumbai-New York JFK from 07DEC

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:34 am

I wonder what impact this will have on the MEB3, especially Etihad which is generally struggling.
I doubt TK will be affected as their access to India is limited by bilaterals.

sibibom

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:50 am

Air India's direct flights aren't particularly cheap, return fares is generally $1000 range, Eithad is generally available for $700-800. but Eithad seems to be dying nevertheless and I know of people who avoid it cos of AUH circus.

binayak

Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:59 am

Blerg wrote:
I wonder what impact this will have on the MEB3, especially Etihad which is generally struggling.

This is a 3 weekly flight and thus will have little impact on ME 3 .
But yes if the frequency is increased then the ME3 might have to worry.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

Blerg

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:13 am

binayak wrote:
Blerg wrote:

This is a 3 weekly flight and thus will have little impact on ME 3 .
But yes if the frequency is increased then the ME3 might have to worry.

I understand that but my logic is that these three weekly flights will still carry people who flew on other airlines in the past.

Balaguru

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:14 am

Indian nationals with Non-Immigrant US Visas like Etihad because of US CPB Pre-clearance at AUH T-3. But a 10 abreast 777 is uncomfortable. I have flown that AUH - ORD and it can get quite tight. EK and QR to ORD are also 10 abreast 777s. But NY may be slightly better with EK's380.
Let's see if passengers prefer the better service in ME3 or the non-stop of AI. Also AI's 777s hard product are dated and worse for wear.

LAX772LR

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:20 am

sibibom wrote:
Air India's direct flights aren't particularly cheap, return fares is generally $1000 range, Eithad is generally available for $700-800.

Both of which are atrociously cheap (from the airlines' perspective) for itineraries of that distance.

US east coast to western Europe flights are often way more expensive than that, despite being half the distance.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

sibibom

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:42 am

Balaguru wrote:
Let's see if passengers prefer the better service in ME3 or the non-stop of AI. Also AI's 777s hard product are dated and worse for wear.

However AI's 777 are 9abreast with 34inch pitch, it far more comfortable than any middle eastern carriers (not counting A380)

vadodara

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Biggest advantage is reduced flying time and more convenient timing. AI might be hoping for a DEL-SFO effect here. They certainly have advantages.

Now it is still AI; will some premium passenger be willing to try? Whole another game.

QR does get threatened here. With their inter-Sunni spat, they are adding a lot of flying time to avoid airspace that is closed. It probably is adding some hrs of flying time. If a reasonable product gets you there with some time to spare, it has a shot at success.

algeorge2015

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:04 pm

On numerous peak seasons we have seen AI's pricing go very competitive and with the 1 stop being within India AI will become preferable to many. IMHO 3 weekly could change to 5 soon. I prefer 3-3-3 seating on AI & new KU any day over 3-4-3 on B777...….I am also waiting on the fate of this route when a politician pushes the button to extend this flight from JFK to BOM then all the way to his/her remote village in India

vadodara

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:54 pm

<I am also waiting on the fate of this route when a politician pushes the button to extend this flight from JFK to BOM then all the way to his/her remote village in India>

So in the past, many a BOM to JFK/EWR flights were filled with people whose eventual destination were cities like AMD.

However, with advent of ME3 and their accessibility to numerous airports, this 'need' has drastically declined.

voxkel

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 pm

I think they should have started with 77L. They started DEL-IAD (which is considerably shorter) with 77L before upgrading to 77W when determining loads were strong. 77W may be too much to start a route, IMO.

They could make DEL-SFO daily 77W to free up 77L's. Flight time of BOM JFK will be about 1 hr longer than DEL SFO due to longer GC distance and westbound nature of flight to New York.

Also, I would imagine BOM JFK is higher yielding than DEL SFO. This should incentivise AI (if necessary) to make BOM JFK daily 77L instead of 4x 77W.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos