Fargo
Topic Author

What is DL’s long term strategy in BOS?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:38 pm

Right now, DL operates a large focus city in BOS that is a borderline hub. They have almost 120 departures a day and have a large bank of international flights. And they will be getting Terminal A all to themselves next year.

With all of this in mind, will DL upgrade BOS to a full hub, or will they keep it a large focus city? If they do upgrade it to a full hub, how many departures could it get up to?

ElroyJetson

Re: What is DL’s long term strategy in BOS?

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:05 pm

The DL strategy is to block B6 from having a TATL foothold out of BOS. So far I'd say their plan has been working well.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

jumbojet

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:49 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
The DL strategy is to block B6 from having a TATL foothold out of BOS. So far I'd say their plan has been working well.

Nothing, especially not DL, is going to block B6 from commencing TATL ops ex BOS.

I do know that a bunch of DL TATL adds at BOS are preemptive strikes, a shot across the bow so to speak.

I also know that the US3 will defend Europe very aggressivly against any encroachment by B6. B6 might even be asking themselves if Europe is even worth it.

impilot

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:52 pm

jumbojet wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

Nothing, especially not DL, is going to block B6 from commencing TATL ops ex BOS.

I do know that a bunch of DL TATL adds at BOS are preemptive strikes, a shot across the bow so to speak.

I also know that the US3 will defend Europe very aggressivly against any encroachment by B6. B6 might even be asking themselves if Europe is even worth it.

B6 ineptitude will block B6 from Europe. I hope they prove me wrong.

Noise

Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:58 pm

impilot wrote:
jumbojet wrote:
ElroyJetson wrote:

B6 ineptitude will block B6 from Europe. I hope they prove me wrong.

Ding ding ding!!! We have a winner!

We've been talking about B6 going TATL for 10 years now. I'll believe it when I see it.

jetwet1

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:02 pm

Domination, total domination

VS4ever

Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:47 pm

Fargo wrote:
Right now, DL operates a large focus city in BOS that is a borderline hub. They have almost 120 departures a day and have a large bank of international flights. And they will be getting Terminal A all to themselves next year.

With all of this in mind, will DL upgrade BOS to a full hub, or will they keep it a large focus city? If they do upgrade it to a full hub, how many departures could it get up to?

Spend some time in the BOS thread, been discussed a lot, DL’s stated aim is 150 a day, in reality there is scope for 180+ if needed. It will continue to be a large focus city because it’s not really designed as a connector.
The international service is definitely a shot across B6’s now and I think Most of us would like them (B6) to get on and decide about their TATL operations, they have made it clear many times they want to do it, the question is will they push the button to do it.

Back to DL, we’ve seen some stuff around the edges but I am sure the expansion plans are set for when they get the remaining 5 gates later next year once the new WN gates are built. Given their propensity to run up to 8 turns a day, we will see some shifting from other gates to manage capacity and some uplifts to get to the 150 and go from there.
Plenty of speculation. More frequency to certain markets, and competitive offerings to B6 strongholds are likely in my opinion.
Let’s be clear, DL does not have the gate space even with the expansion to Match B6 at BOS, especially as B6 is going to increase seats and get more gates from updates to Terminal C and the connector to B.
But DL will become and already is a sizeable foe and the next year or so will make things very clear as to how this is likely to shake out.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

chrisnh

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:00 pm

I know there’s not a lot of money to be made trans-PAC, but there should be SOME route out of Boston where DL could deploy an A350. Not everyone is content to just be funneled through DTW.

Aisak

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I know there’s not a lot of money to be made trans-PAC, but there should be SOME route out of Boston where DL could deploy an A350. Not everyone is content to just be funneled through DTW.

At the times of Northwest and its TPAC NRT hub it could be easy to have a NRT-BOS. But NRT could be a through point on NW metal to the rest of Asia and now NRT for DL is a shadow of its former self.

Given now Delta and Korean have a JV across the Pacific, one could see a ICN-BOS, but operationally it's just simpler for KE to operate it instead of DL. Unless DL suddenly grows a longhaul fleet base in BOS overnight

VS4ever

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:38 pm

Aisak wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

At the times of Northwest and its TPAC NRT hub it could be easy to have a NRT-BOS. But NRT could be a through point on NW metal to the rest of Asia and now NRT for DL is a shadow of its former self.

Given now Delta and Korean have a JV across the Pacific, one could see a ICN-BOS, but operationally it's just simpler for KE to operate it instead of DL. Unless DL suddenly grows a longhaul fleet base in BOS overnight

You mean like this?

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... n%20Boston

That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

kavok

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:20 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Aisak wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

You mean like this?

The KE flight makes sense to start with because it is a 787. DL has no 787s, so it is logical to operate it on KE than on a larger DL frame. If loads are good, and once enough 350 frames are in place, DL could upgauge it to a 350 if it makes sense.

So I would think KE/DL TPAC step 1: KE 787, TPAC step 2(if step 1 works out) is a DL 350, and TPAC step 3 (if step 2works out) is other TPAC destinations. We are just at step 1 now.

papatango

Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:50 pm

When does Delta get back all terminal A gates back?

B752OS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:13 am

papatango wrote:

January the Terminal B expansion and consolidation project will be complete. So DL will get the 5 mainline gates WN currently occupies. WN is moving into the old AA side of Terminal B.

VS4ever

Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:17 am

papatango wrote:

Late next year once the rebuild of Terminal B is done. They have to complete the additional gates for WN before they can move across thus freeing up E18-E22

B752OS

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:37 am

papatango wrote:

An update to my earlier post, June 2019 is the projected date for DL to get the 5 gates WN once held. See slide 125.

http://www.massport.com/media/2704/0118 ... ermark.pdf

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos