Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22

Re: Mexico city's new airport to be canceled

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:36 pm

SRQLOT wrote:
Reading a news article, the President of Mexico says it will be ready in 2021. It’s hard to believe that! Even in Poland the new CPK airport that may actually be built now (same party won re-election) it is being delayed to 2029.

https://m.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/aer ... 342427/amp

Thanks for the update. Title has been updated, but for the time being I took a conservative approach. :smile:

Mex87

Re: Updated: Mexico city's new airport not to be cancelled

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:12 pm

Yes, but we are not talking about the awesome new MEX... The one he´s talking about (AMLO, the president) is the improvised Santa Lucía Airport, the project he is defending since one of his best friends and partners-and the one behind Santa Lucia Airport project- was left out of the MEX competition won by Norman Foster. The Santa Lucia proyect has been declared insufficient and risky by aviation authorities, but AMLO refers to it as "fake news". Typical latin leftist who lives on the right side.

SQ22

Re: Updated: Mexico city's new airport not to be cancelled

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:17 pm

Mex87 wrote:
Yes, but we are not talking about the awesome new MEX... The one he´s talking about (AMLO, the president) is the improvised Santa Lucía Airport, the project he is defending since one of his best friends and partners-and the one behind Santa Lucia Airport project- was left out of the MEX competition won by Norman Foster. The Santa Lucia proyect has been declared insufficient and risky by aviation authorities, but AMLO refers to it as "fake news". Typical latin leftist who lives on the right side.

Thanks for the correction, my fault. I have modified thread title again.

exFWAOONW

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:29 pm

dcajet wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which terminal at MEX has better restaurants?

Not sure about restaurants in particular, but T2 provides an overall more pleasant pax experience than T1. There are a lot of shops & outlets near where the US flights depart from at T1 though.

Not all US flights operate out of T1. Last week my DL flights were in/out at T2 with AeroMexico which made the connections much easier.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

OA940

Re: Updated: Mexico city's new airport to be improved Santa Lucía Airport

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm

Still think that it's a waste of money regardless and it;s an extremely short-term solution but whatever
A350/CSeries = bae

airbazar

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:34 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Look at large cities like London, New York, Los Angeles with multiple airports.

With the distances involved in Mexico City, a mega airport would require a long journey for a large percentage of the population. Instead of operating a multi-airport system would offer more a local option for many travelers.

The comparison is ridiculous. Each of those cities sees nearly 3x more passenger volume than Mexico City. Those cities have multiple airports because 1) they don't have a choice (LHR has been trying to build a 3rd runway for decades), and 2) their combined traffic volume is too high for a single airport. As it is the other LA airports see very little traffic because LAX can still handle most of it. MEX doesn't even get 50 million pax. If you were to combine all of NYC into 1 airport you'd get close to 150 million annual passengers. Likewise for London.

SRQLOT

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Sorry if I created some confusion, yes I guess Texcoco is cancelled officially? And Santa Lucía Air Force Base will be rebuilt as the new airport. So I guess they could build a huge mall and apartments on the fresh concrete at Texcoco????
LO LH CL BA AZ WN UA DL AA B6 NK G4 F9
717 733/7/8/9/M8 744 752/3 763 788 319/20/21 332/3 M90 RJ85 CR9 Q400 E7/95 (PA28,152)

deltaffindfw

Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:56 pm

Looking at a map, Santa Lucia is very far away from the city center (looks like almost an hour). That is going to be a pain. Depending on time of day, I've gone from the Zona Rosa area to MEX in 15 minutes.

ODwyerPW

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:11 pm

Seems like there was quite a bit of investment already at the Laguna d Texcoco site:

learning never stops.

santi319

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:32 pm

airbazar wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

With the distances involved in Mexico City, a mega airport would require a long journey for a large percentage of the population. Instead of operating a multi-airport system would offer more a local option for many travelers.

The comparison is ridiculous. Each of those cities sees nearly 3x more passenger volume than Mexico City. Those cities have multiple airports because 1) they don't have a choice (LHR has been trying to build a 3rd runway for decades), and 2) their combined traffic volume is too high for a single airport. As it is the other LA airports see very little traffic because LAX can still handle most of it. MEX doesn't even get 50 million pax. If you were to combine all of NYC into 1 airport you'd get close to 150 million annual passengers. Likewise for London.

The hilarity of people comparing NYC and LON to a city 7K feet above sea level SURROUNDED by Mountains...

The current government have just shot themselves in the foot, and the consequences of cancelling the new MEX will not be felt but years from now.

Shame because one of the most vibrant cities in the world deserved that new airport.

Santa Lucia will be a TLC of the sorts... you will see.

lightsaber

Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:41 pm

santi319 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

The hilarity of people comparing NYC and LON to a city 7K feet above sea level SURROUNDED by Mountains...

The current government have just shot themselves in the foot, and the consequences of cancelling the new MEX will not be felt but years from now.

Shame because one of the most vibrant cities in the world deserved that new airport.

I was so excited about the new (cancelled) airport. Mexico needs a central mega hub, as much as I am a fan of P2P, not everywhere can connect to everywhere.

Plus Mexico could have taxes us North Americans going to Central or South America. Customers want to avoid connections as much as possible. So avoiding a US flight to a hub to another hub is highly desirable. The altitude/mountains is a handicap, but when in A220 range, easy to overcome.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ODwyerPW

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 pm

santi319 wrote:

I don't understand that phrase. I really enjoyed your post, but I don't understand the meaning behind TLC (tender loving care??)
learning never stops.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:21 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
santi319 wrote:

I don't understand that phrase. I really enjoyed your post, but I don't understand the meaning behind TLC (tender loving care??)

I think the reference is to Toluca, and distant-but-still-marketed-as-Mexico-City airport that is functioning as a low cost reliever. It's a convenient airport for many, but not for everyone. However, is there ever going to be an airport in Mexico City that IS convenient to everyone? No. It's too spread out.

santi319

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Oops sorry - TLC is the code for Toluca Airport, an airport located 30ish miles northwest of Mexico City.

At one point in the 2010s it was pushed to be the relief airport for MEX, Interjet and Volaris started there and even good ol’ Spirit served FLL, DFW and IAH.

However the moment the slots were open at MEX all the airlines flocked there and now, its a graveyard, with the ocasional beach flight and MTY (Mexico’s third largest city).

The new Santa Lucia airport will be the same, incentives and hype at the beginning, followed by a mass withdrawal.

No Resident of Mexico City will spend $80 usd on an uber to fly out on an $80 usd ticket. Mexico City is like NY, and people don’t have time to wast time driving/going to the airport for 1-1.5 hrs.

questions

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Was the main reason the new airport was cancelled due to the exorbitant cost? If so, to what degree could a simpler terminal design have reduced the overall cost?

Note: I’m a fan of architecture and understand why cities want their airports to be showpieces.

ODwyerPW

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:28 pm

AHHH of course Toluca... the Airport that fogs in all of the time. The book 'Bordering on Chaos' (1995..the book chronicled the period just before NAFTA and the eventual end of 6 decades of PRI dominance) had a discussion about the folly of that airport.
learning never stops.

santi319

Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:37 pm

questions wrote:
Was the main reason the new airport was cancelled due to the exorbitant cost? If so, to what degree could a simpler terminal design have reduced the overall cost?

Note: I’m a fan of architecture and understand why cities want their airports to be showpieces.

The New cancelled airport was made by the former administration, the new administration called it corrupt and cancelled it, it was about 30% completed.

Rumors are the new administration also has their “friends” in in the new Santa Lucia airport.

We know all politicians are pigs and if they are going to be corrupt just do it with an airport with style IMO

Surprised the big boys in Mexico allowed him to cancel it as this will actually shrink Mexico City’s growth as a Latin American business hub moving forward .

dodgers702

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 pm

I still had a glimmer of hope that AMLO would change his mind and resume construction at Texcoco...oh well.

KrustyTheKlown
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:25 pm

SQ22 wrote:
SRQLOT wrote:
Reading a news article, the President of Mexico says it will be ready in 2021. It’s hard to believe that! Even in Poland the new CPK airport that may actually be built now (same party won re-election) it is being delayed to 2029.

https://m.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/aer ... 342427/amp

Thanks for the update. Title has been updated, but for the time being I took a conservative approach. :smile:

I would hardly doubt Santa Lucia AFB can be "improved" because of the mountains that surround the whole valley. A more accurate thread title would be "Mexico city's new airport SNAFU".

The old approach path to MEX's 05R/L directly intercepts all possible approaches to Santa Lucia AFB seriously limiting the capacity of both airports.

A further problem is that another mountain ("Cerro de Paula") located north east of Santa Lucia AFB also crosses the approach profile of any new runway that could be built in the site, so effectively the maximum capacity of a civil airport built there would be roughly the same as that of the old airport (2 closely spaced runways not allowing parallel takeoffs or landings).

Those 2 basic airport engineering problems mean that in the best of cases transforming Santa Lucia AFB into a civil airport will result in a 20-30% increase in the availability of slots for Mexico city's airports, while the now-cancelled Texcoco airport could have increased slot availability by up to 300%, and the cost of building in Santa Lucia will likely be the same as completing Texcoco.

KrustyTheKlown
Topic Author

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
Seems like there was quite a bit of investment already at the Laguna d Texcoco site:

That picture is from Aug 2017. When construction was halted in Texcoco the terminal was already well underway.

$5B USD is a estimate of how much was spent on Texcoco, just so that our "anti-corruption" president could reward his cronies with contracts for the useless Santa Lucia airport.

aerolimani

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:40 pm

I don’t care how much anyone loves AMLO, I don’t know how they could look at this objectively, and say that it’s a good idea. It’s a logistical disaster. Sure, there was probably cronyism going on with the old plan. But, why not just sort that out and continue? It was the right solution for the country and city of Mexico. This new version smacks of its own cronyism. It’s just a new set of cronies.

Mexico, lindo y querido, I am sad for you.

dcajet

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:
dcajet wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
Which terminal at MEX has better restaurants?

Not sure about restaurants in particular, but T2 provides an overall more pleasant pax experience than T1. There are a lot of shops & outlets near where the US flights depart from at T1 though.

Not all US flights operate out of T1. Last week my DL flights were in/out at T2 with AeroMexico which made the connections much easier.

I didn't mean ALL US flights... Just the US flights that depart from T1 (United, etc.) T2 seems to be in better shape but what is with the absence of windows from which one can have a decent view? At both terminals.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

ODwyerPW

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 pm

KrustTheClown wrote:
That picture is from Aug 2017. When construction was halted in Texcoco the terminal was already well underway.

Yeah I know, but I couldn't find any good arial photos of the terminal, so I just posted the slabs.

aerolimani wrote:
It’s a logistical disaster. Sure, there was probably cronyism going on with the old plan. But, why not just sort that out and continue? It was the right solution for the country and city of Mexico. This new version smacks of its own cronyism. It’s just a new set of cronies.
Mexico, lindo y querido, I am sad for you.

I put no trust in politicians of course, but as we watched AMLO campaign across Mexico, (actually spending quite a bit of time in our own pueblo of Alamos, Sonora), we were curious to see what he would do. Guess we have our answer... just more of the same.

It would have been neat to see him attempt to sort it out and get it all back on track instead of just wasting all of that spent money and starting anew. But we get used to very large, expensive, incomplete/abandoned projects in Mexico. Who knows what roles the Cartel's might have played in the decision? They appear to be running the country now.
learning never stops.

blacksoviet

Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:12 am

When will Terminal 1 be demolished? It must be well over 50 years old.

ghost77

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 am

ODwyerPW wrote:
Yeah I know, but I couldn't find any good arial photos of the terminal, so I just posted the slabs.

There won't be any new MEX. There's no budget for that. Even for SLM they don't have the money to start it. Even MEX now has more budget to grow, for mainteinance and as we speak, they'll study if it's feasible for 90 days to start the new TERMINAL 3. They don't have the money for SLM. AMLO is just throwing again his toys out of the pram.

BTW, I'll download and try to upload a new recent photo of how new MEX looks from the air.

g77

AtomicGarden

Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:16 am

Forgive my question, but what is MEX's major problem? terminal? slots? runways? location?
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Aeolus

Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:07 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
Forgive my question, but what is MEX's major problem? terminal? slots? runways? location?

There is no more room for expansion.
Slots are also big problem with airlines like 4O giving slots to the likes of Hainan, China Southern, Turkish and now maybe even EK.

Also one of the main problems is that on the south side of the airport (Terminal 1), there are no taxiways to allow for better traffic flow, instead it is just one taxiway that leads from one end of the airport to the other, congesting the airport and I have at times taxied for more than 1 hour after landing or even taken up to an hour and a half to taxi from the "S" parking positions to runway 05L (which is right next to them).

It is not a very well designed airport and the NAICM or new MEX would have certainly improved every aspect of what is wrong with the current airport, AND it would have been just a stone's throw away from the current airport. But politics got involved and it all just went down to the drain... it is such a shame for such an ambitious, promising and economic-boosting project that yes, there might have been corruption, absolutely, but it was a great project nonetheless, but as they say "borrón y cuenta nueva" (a fresh start) and the new guy tries to undo whatever good or bad the previous idiot did. And for the previous idiot, the now defunct project, was probably one of the only good things that his government would've done...

Just my two cents and a rant.
Flying under the clouds above!

ghost77

Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:18 am

AtomicGarden wrote:

MEX in 2018 had 47.7M passengers.

MEX RANK in the TOP50 throughout the years:

2005 / 43 / 24,115,552
2006 / 44 / 24,727,296
2007 / 44 / 25,881,662
2008 / 44 / 26,210,217
2009 / 50 / 24,243,056
2013 / 49 / 31,534,638
2014 / 48 / 34,255,739
2015 / 45 / 38,433,288
2016 / 44 / 41,410,254
2017 / 36 / 44,732,418
2018 / 33 / 47,700,547

Since 2016 MEX has grown A LOT. This year, 2019 it might be closing maybe near to the 48.5-49M passengers.

As of number of operations, MEX ranks 25 in terms of daily flights with 484 flights.

https://www.flightsfrom.com/top-100-airports

As per cargo, MEX is also among in the top 30 airports worldwide.

g77

PacoMartin

Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:36 am

smiranda01 wrote:
Having international flights at one airport and domestic at another one is a very bad idea... Perhaps AMLO does not realise that some people actually make connections.

This approach was tried in Canada years ago in Montreal, with new YMX handling international, and old YUL domestic, with connecting passengers needing a long and expensive cab ride. Eventually YMX was abandoned for passenger traffic and the passenger terminal was demolished... a white elephant used for cargo. That will likely be the sad fate of Santa Lucia

At the time Montreal was the primary airport in Canada, and now it is a distance third

1 Toronto Pearson International Airport Greater Toronto Area 49,507,418
2 Vancouver International Airport Metro Vancouver 25,936,907
3 Montréal-Trudeau International Airport Greater Montreal 19,425,488
4 Calgary International Airport Calgary Region 17,343,402

Every single discussion
about building a secondary airport to relieve a busy primary airport and keeping both open should begin with a review of what happened in Montreal.

vahancrazy

Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:15 am

PacoMartin wrote:
smiranda01 wrote:
Having international flights at one airport and domestic at another one is a very bad idea... Perhaps AMLO does not realise that some people actually make connections.

This approach was tried in Canada years ago in Montreal, with new YMX handling international, and old YUL domestic, with connecting passengers needing a long and expensive cab ride. Eventually YMX was abandoned for passenger traffic and the passenger terminal was demolished... a white elephant used for cargo. That will likely be the sad fate of Santa Lucia

At the time Montreal was the primary airport in Canada, and now it is a distance third

1 Toronto Pearson International Airport Greater Toronto Area 49,507,418
2 Vancouver International Airport Metro Vancouver 25,936,907
3 Montréal-Trudeau International Airport Greater Montreal 19,425,488
4 Calgary International Airport Calgary Region 17,343,402

Every single discussion
about building a secondary airport to relieve a busy primary airport and keeping both open should begin with a review of what happened in Montreal.

Another example is Italy. In Milan both LIN and MXP were kept open. Thus, LCC and L/H carriers fly to MXP, whereas full services European carriers prefer LIN given the location.

Even more fun? Should LIN have been closed, AZ would have had the change to build an effective hub in MXP instead of their grotesque experiment.

PacoMartin

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:48 am

For the mathematically challenged.

Under his plan, López Obrador said, there will be seven runways serving the metropolitan area: the two existing ones at Benito Juarez, three at Felipe Angeles (new airport) and two at Toluca, compared with six under the Texcoco plan.

Of course, by my calculation there would be eight under the Texcoco plan. The two at Toluca and the six new ones.

PacoMartin

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:57 am

ODwyerPW wrote:
AHHH of course Toluca... the Airport that fogs in all of the time. The book 'Bordering on Chaos' (1995..the book chronicled the period just before NAFTA and the eventual end of 6 decades of PRI dominance) had a discussion about the folly of that airport.

'Bordering on Chaos' by Andrés Oppenheimer, the editor and syndicated foreign affairs columnist with The Miami Herald, is one of the most informative books about Mexican politics you could ever read.

PacoMartin

Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:46 pm

I presume that BOG will someday pass MEX in size . The improvements to be completed by next year will permit 40 million passengers.

Mexico City Airport (MEX) in Mexico, Passengers 47,700,547 (2018)
El Dorado Airport in (BOG) Colombia, Passengers 32,716,468 (2018)
São Paulo–Guarulhos International Airport ,Passengers 42,831,981 (2018)

Northern America and European service to BOG airport
Avianca Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Miami, New York–JFK, Orlando, San Juan de Puerto Rico, Washington–Dulles
American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami
Delta Air Lines Atlanta, New York–JFK (resumes December 22, 2019)
United Airlines Houston–Intercontinental, Newark
JetBlue Fort Lauderdale, Orlando
Spirit Airlines Fort Lauderdale, Orlando
Air Canada Rouge Montréal–Trudeau (begins June 2, 2020), Toronto–Pearson

Iberia Madrid
Air Europa Madrid
Air France Paris–Charles de Gaulle
Avianca Barcelona,London–Heathrow, Munich,
KLM Amsterdam
Lufthansa Frankfurt
Turkish Airlines Istanbul

AtomicGarden

Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 pm

ghost77 wrote:
MEX in 2018 had 47.7M passengers.

MEX RANK in the TOP50 throughout the years:

2005 / 43 / 24,115,552
2006 / 44 / 24,727,296
2007 / 44 / 25,881,662
2008 / 44 / 26,210,217
2009 / 50 / 24,243,056
2013 / 49 / 31,534,638
2014 / 48 / 34,255,739
2015 / 45 / 38,433,288
2016 / 44 / 41,410,254
2017 / 36 / 44,732,418
2018 / 33 / 47,700,547

Since 2016 MEX has grown A LOT. This year, 2019 it might be closing maybe near to the 48.5-49M passengers.

As of number of operations, MEX ranks 25 in terms of daily flights with 484 flights.

https://www.flightsfrom.com/top-100-airports

As per cargo, MEX is also among in the top 30 airports worldwide.

g77

Aeolus wrote:
There is no more room for expansion.
Slots are also big problem with airlines like 4O giving slots to the likes of Hainan, China Southern, Turkish and now maybe even EK.

Also one of the main problems is that on the south side of the airport (Terminal 1), there are no taxiways to allow for better traffic flow, instead it is just one taxiway that leads from one end of the airport to the other, congesting the airport and I have at times taxied for more than 1 hour after landing or even taken up to an hour and a half to taxi from the "S" parking positions to runway 05L (which is right next to them).

It is not a very well designed airport and the NAICM or new MEX would have certainly improved every aspect of what is wrong with the current airport, AND it would have been just a stone's throw away from the current airport. But politics got involved and it all just went down to the drain... it is such a shame for such an ambitious, promising and economic-boosting project that yes, there might have been corruption, absolutely, but it was a great project nonetheless, but as they say "borrón y cuenta nueva" (a fresh start) and the new guy tries to undo whatever good or bad the previous idiot did. And for the previous idiot, the now defunct project, was probably one of the only good things that his government would've done...

Just my two cents and a rant.

Very informative. Thanks to both. I hadn't realized just how many more pax go thru MEX YoY. Amazing growth that really deserves a full new airport.

Cunard

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:06 am

[code][/code]
PacoMartin wrote:
I presume that BOG will someday pass MEX in size . The improvements to be completed by next year will permit 40 million passengers.

Avianca Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Miami, New York–JFK, Orlando, San Juan de Puerto Rico, Washington–Dulles

Iberia Madrid
Air Europa Madrid
KLM Amsterdam
Lufthansa Frankfurt
Turkish Airlines Istanbul

You ommitted Avianca to Madrid.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

PacoMartin

Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:55 am

Cunard wrote:
    You omitted Avianca to Madrid.

You are correct.

I was trying to emphasize that while BOGOTA is midway in size between FLL Fort Lauderdale and DTW Detroit, but it has excellent nonstops to Europe and Northern America

Avianca Madrid, Fort Lauderdale, Los Angeles, Miami, New York–JFK, Orlando, San Juan de Puerto Rico, Washington–Dulles
    Iberia Madrid
    Air Europa Madrid
    KLM Amsterdam
    Lufthansa Frankfurt
    Turkish Airlines Istanbul[/quote]

With the brakes on hold for MEX, São Paulo will shortly become the largest airport in Latin America, but it is too far south to be served by LCC from Northern America until the USA LCC (like JetBlue and Spirit Airlines) until the arrival of the A321XLR.
    Fort Lauderdale to São Paulo distance (FLL–GRU) | 3547.6 nautical miles.

Northern America, European and Beijing service to GRU airport
    LATAM Brasil Boston, Miami, New York–JFK, Orlando
    American Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York–JFK
    Delta Air Lines Atlanta, New York–JFK
    United Airlines Chicago–O'Hare, Houston–Intercontinental, Newark, Washington–Dulles
    Air Canada Toronto–Pearson Seasonal: Montréal–Trudeau (begins December 12, 2019)
    {São Paulo (GRU) and Beijing (PEK) are 10,922 miles apart, well beyond the maximum range of existing aircraft}
    Air China Madrid, Beijing–Capital
    Air Europa Madrid
    Iberia Madrid
    LATAM Brasil Madrid, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Johannesburg–O. R. Tambo, Lisbon, London–Heathrow, Paris–Charles de Gaulle
    TAP Air Portugal Lisbon, Porto
    KLM Amsterdam
    Lufthansa Frankfurt, Munich (resumes December 2, 2019)
    Alitalia Rome–Fiumicino
    British Airways London–Heathrow
    Virgin Atlantic London-Heathrow (begins March 29, 2020)
    Swiss International Air Lines Zürich
    Turkish Airlines Buenos Aires–Ezeiza, Istanbul
    Emirates Dubai–International
    Royal Air Maroc Casablanca
    Qatar Airways Buenos Aires–Ezeiza, Doha
    Ethiopian Airlines Addis Ababa, Buenos Aires–Ezeiza
    South African Airways Johannesburg–O. R. Tambo
    TAAG Angola Airlines Luanda

PacoMartin

Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:51 am

Colombia foresees traffic growing to over 100 million passengers annually by 2030, says Juan Carlos Salazar, the director of Colombia's civil aviation authority Aerocivil.

While in general it is a long flight from Asia to Latin America, Bogota is somewhat better positioned than Sao Paulo when the newest generation of ULR spawned by Qantas's project Sunrise become available.

SIN - EWR 9,534 miles (Currently longest range flight in the commercial world)

SYD - JFK 9,950 miles
    SYD - LHR 10,573 miles

BOG - NRT 8,865 miles
    BOG - SYD 8,908 miles
    BOG - ICN 9,243 miles
    BOG - PEK 9,275 miles
    BOG - HKG 10,496 miles
    BOG - SIN 11,995 miles

GRU - SYD 8,318 miles
    GRU - SIN 9,947 miles
    GRU - PEK 10,923 miles
    GRU - HKG 11,195 miles
    GRU - ICN 11,378 miles
    GRU - NRT 11,489 miles

12,373 miles is distance between antipodes

mercure1

Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Image and video of the planned terminal at Santa Lucia

https://youtu.be/IO9uKjQ2F_M
    mercure f-wtcc

questions

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:46 pm

Is it highly likely this new plan will end up costing more than the total cost (spent + cost to finish) of the new Texcoco airport?

aerolimani

Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:59 pm

mercure1 wrote:

What's with all the outdoor plaza space? It's Mexico City, not Hawaii. It's cold at night, most nights of the year. Throughout summer and autumn, it rains on a daily basis (usually a storm per day), and winter days can be downright cold too. Are they thinking it's going to be like one of the parks in the city, like Alameda?

Landside, people have luggage and belongings to deal with, and are almost entirely in the act of coming or going from the airport. It's not as though non-travellers are going to head to the airport to hang out in a plaza/park there. Maaaaaybe such a space could work airside where people have time to burn. Otherwise, it's a lovely idea that won't work. In other words, it's a waste of space.

aerolimani

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:01 pm

Mind you, I think the whole project is a colossal waste, especially the shutting down of the Texcoco project.

many321

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:32 pm

You have to be kidding me! This looks like a half-assed version of Texcoco even with the terminal structure. Why did they even bother in stopping NAICM in the first place. I'm about to have a headache.

questions

Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

aerolimani wrote:
    mercure1 wrote:

What's with all the outdoor plaza space? It's Mexico City, not Hawaii. It's cold at night, most nights of the year. Throughout summer and autumn, it rains on a daily basis (usually a storm per day), and winter days can be downright cold too. Are they thinking it's going to be like one of the parks in the city, like Alameda?

Landside, people have luggage and belongings to deal with, and are almost entirely in the act of coming or going from the airport. It's not as though non-travellers are going to head to the airport to hang out in a plaza/park there. Maaaaaybe such a space could work airside where people have time to burn. Otherwise, it's a lovely idea that won't work. In other words, it's a waste of space.

There may be some functional use on the lower level, under the plaza. But agree, it’s crazy to think people are going to use it landside as depicted in the video. It will become the Pigeon Park.

The administrative building or hotel looks like a giant scoreboard.

AtomicGarden

Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:51 am

So it's two terminals separated by a plaza, will they be linked by a tunnel+train? I don't like translucent ceilings either (we have them in my city at bus stops and you roast under them in the summer)