Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BuildingMyBento

Re: Updated: Mexico city's new airport to be improved Santa Lucía Airport

Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:52 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
itripreport wrote:
Yeah the new airport is basically a joke, idk if yall have seen photos of its food court, its vip lounge, and its basically opening with exposed wiring, I got some photos I'll upload them later, but man its just sad to see the state in which the airport basically rushed its opening

As if DEN, BKK, LHR T5, or TXL were smooth roll-outs.

I think one of the main gripes with the new airport is the distance from the city it primarily serves ... Ryanair would call it Cancun West.

If a BRT, rail, and/or something else public transit-wise is introduced to hasten the trip from downtown, then we'd be cooking with gas.

Until then, I will "suffer" through the claustrophobic nonsense of T1 for that sweet swift metro ride to Roma Norte.

2travel2know2

Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:52 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
I think one of the main gripes with the new airport is the distance from the city it primarily serves ... Ryanair would call it Cancun West.

If a BRT, rail, and/or something else public transit-wise is introduced to hasten the trip from downtown, then we'd be cooking with gas.

Until then, I will "suffer" through the claustrophobic nonsense of T1 for that sweet swift metro ride to Roma Norte.
So NLU doesn't have (reliable) public transportation yet but TLC actually does?

LAXintl

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:49 am

Rail link is supposed to coming second half of 2023.

https://i1.wp.com/thecanadian.news/wp-c ... 922209.png

mercure1

Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:34 am

Its so surprising such a major metro area like Mexico City has its traffic concentrated at one airport, a rather depressing facility at that.

Regardless of the politics, its good an additional airport has been built.

BuildingMyBento

Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:53 am

2travel2know2 wrote:
BuildingMyBento wrote:

I actually don't know. However, if flights increasingly are shifted to NLU, perhaps TLC will get made in the shade, and encourage better public transit to Observatorio, or Santa Fe.

If it finally came down to NLU or TLC -- and no MEX -- neither is a particularly pleasant option, distance-wise. But saving 30 minutes to an hour as versus NLU might be a good enough reason to breathe new life into TLC.

(OTOH, it's not like people are going to start flying into PBC, so there will be no other choice to get to CDMX.)

2travel2know2

Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:56 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
BuildingMyBento wrote:

I actually don't know. However, if flights increasingly are shifted to NLU, perhaps TLC will get made in the shade, and encourage better public transit to Observatorio, or Santa Fe.

If it finally came down to NLU or TLC -- and no MEX -- neither is a particularly pleasant option, distance-wise. But saving 30 minutes to an hour as versus NLU might be a good enough reason to breathe new life into TLC.

(OTOH, it's not like people are going to start flying into PBC, so there will be no other choice to get to CDMX.)
Have not been in México City in ages but what I gather from Mexicans is that there quite a number of affluent areas which are within comfortable reach from TLC (for México City standards).

LAXintl

Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:44 pm

Volaris says it plans LAX service starting December, assuming Mexico regains Cat-I status.

https://skift.com/2022/04/22/mexicos-vo ... -december/

REDHL

Tue May 03, 2022 3:05 am

Several weeks after its inauguration, passenger complaints about the lack of ground transportation options from NLU to Mexico City continue to grow, particularly with afternoon and night flights.

https://www.proceso.com.mx/reportajes/2 ... 85209.html

Apart from this, the Federal Government wants to launch in the coming months a decree to reduce the traffic that currently exists in MEX by 30%, supposedly in order to reduce saturation at the aforementioned airport, but also to make airlines use NLU more.

https://expansion.mx/empresas/2022/05/0 ... cm-al-aifa

I don't know if it's too early to tell, but this is giving me Mirabel-like vibes.

BuildingMyBento

Tue May 03, 2022 12:52 pm

REDHL wrote:

I don't know if it's too early to tell, but this is giving me Mirabel-like vibes.

Quoting from that link: “Hay que ver cuánto puede ir destinándose a otro lados, particularmente al AIFA, porque ya está listo, pero también puede abrirse Toluca, que funcionaba muy bien, y otras alternativas”.

How embarrassing. The darn airport just opened a couple of months, and as predicted, Toluca's time to shine might ironically be now.

CMA727

Tue May 03, 2022 4:40 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
REDHL wrote:

Quoting from that link: “Hay que ver cuánto puede ir destinándose a otro lados, particularmente al AIFA, porque ya está listo, pero también puede abrirse Toluca, que funcionaba muy bien, y otras alternativas”.

How embarrassing. The darn airport just opened a couple of months, and as predicted, Toluca's time to shine might ironically be now.

TLC time to shile will be when mexican goverment finally announces that MEX will be closed and demand will be served by both TLC and NLU at its maximun capacity, complemented with CVJ, QRO and PBC airports.

rabader

Tue May 03, 2022 8:15 pm

The Mexican government is planning to reduce the operations in the AICM from 62 to 48-50 per hour to encourage flights from NLU. Same as previous links but in English.

https://simpleflying.com/mexico-city-ne ... ncouraged/

REDHL

Thu May 05, 2022 9:50 pm

The International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Association denounced yesterday through a statement that since NLU's official opening, the cases of aircraft arriving at MEX with low fuel levels due to unplanned holdings have increased, as well as diversions to other airports due to excessive delays and ground proximity alerts, with a case that almost ended in an CFIT accident.

Apart from this, they also denounce that flights crews are receiving clearances that is not in accordance with MEX's approach standards nor with appropriate ICAO phraseology, which indicate that the ATC did not receive adequate training to operate the modified airspace.

https://www.ifalpa.org/media/3757/22sab ... t-mmmx.pdf
https://www.milenio.com/negocios/piloto ... es-en-aicm

LAXintl

Fri May 20, 2022 5:47 pm

AM increasing service at AIFA

Effective August 15 adding the following:

Acapulco – 7 weekly
Cancun – 7 weekly
Guadalajara – 14 weekly
Monterey – 14 weekly
Oaxaca – 7 weekly

Service to Veracruz will be added in September

These are in additional to current services to Merida, Puerto Vallarta and Villahermosa.

https://aerolatinnews.com/destacado/aer ... n-el-aifa/

victrola

Fri May 20, 2022 6:10 pm

Would there be any possibility of salvaging the abandoned airport project when another government is elected or have time and the elements taken their toll on that site?

jbs2886

Fri May 20, 2022 6:33 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Acapulco – 7 weekly
Cancun – 7 weekly
Guadalajara – 14 weekly
Monterey – 14 weekly
Oaxaca – 7 weekly

These are in additional to current services to Merida, Puerto Vallarta and Villahermosa.

Any idea what aircraft? I also wonder if its due to profitability/economics or political pressure.

CMA727

Fri May 20, 2022 7:15 pm

LAXintl wrote:

Acapulco – 7 weekly
Cancun – 7 weekly
Guadalajara – 14 weekly
Monterey – 14 weekly
Oaxaca – 7 weekly

Big time political and economical bet by AM.

SCQ83

Fri May 20, 2022 8:04 pm

REDHL wrote:
Apart from this, the Federal Government wants to launch in the coming months a decree to reduce the traffic that currently exists in MEX by 30%, supposedly in order to reduce saturation at the aforementioned airport, but also to make airlines use NLU more.

I had always thought this airport would be a sort of Stansted or Charleroi for London or Brussels.

It would make more sense moving VivaAerobús and Volaris to NLU, and maybe some connection to some international hub (Copa, US3) in addition to MEX. This would keep MEX like the flagship airport with Aeromexico and the foreign legacy carriers. Sort of like Heathrow. Splitting Aeromexico's operations does not make a lot of sense, but I reckon this is just a temporary measure.

Reducing the allowed traffic in MEX is likely a way to kick Volaris and VivaAerobús out of MEX. In any case, most of the future traffic growth (like anywhere else in the world over the last decade) will be with low-cost carriers, so they can expand in NLU.

mercure1

Fri May 20, 2022 8:40 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
It would make more sense moving VivaAerobús and Volaris to NLU, and maybe some connection to some international hub (Copa, US3) in addition to MEX. This would keep MEX like the flagship airport with Aeromexico and the foreign legacy carriers. Sort of like Heathrow. Splitting Aeromexico's operations does not make a lot of sense, but I reckon this is just a temporary measure.

Reducing the allowed traffic in MEX is likely a way to kick Volaris and VivaAerobús out of MEX. In any case, most of the future traffic growth (like anywhere else in the world over the last decade) will be with low-cost carriers, so they can expand in NLU.

Sounds like what you are proposing is total protectionism for AM at MEX and shielding them from the competitors. Sounds like a terrible outcome for consumers and competition.

CMA727

Fri May 20, 2022 10:09 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
REDHL wrote:

I had always thought this airport would be a sort of Stansted or Charleroi for London or Brussels.

A very expensive for mexicans Chateroi or Standstead!!!! The only way to recuperate part of the wasted money is to use NLU at it´s maximun scope and combining it with TLC also at it´s maximun, be able to close MEX at least for pax/cargo airline traffic.

SCQ83

Sat May 21, 2022 7:08 am

CMA727 wrote:
A very expensive for mexicans Chateroi or Standstead!!!! The only way to recuperate part of the wasted money is to use NLU at it´s maximun scope and combining it with TLC also at it´s maximun, be able to close MEX at least for pax/cargo airline traffic.

MEX had "only" 50 million PAX in 2019. For one of the largest urban areas in the world, that is a very low figure.

So if ZMVM traffic grows over the next few years, and it raises to 60, 70 or 80M PAX for the metro area, where would those passengers fly from if there was only MEX operating?

The Mexico City metro area was also (if not considering TLC) the largest urban area in the world with a single commercial airport. At some point having one airport has no advantages and a lot of inconveniences (funnelling everyone through a single location). London or LA have 5 or 6 commercial airports and they are fine.

It would be a miracle (and bad planning) that a new additional airport would be full from the very first day. Specially in a post-COVID period where traffic figures are not yet normal.

2travel2know2

Sat May 21, 2022 2:39 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
If it gets some pressure from the Mexican authorities, my guess is that CM would chose something like Mondays and Fridays PTY-TLC-PTY over PTY-NLU-PTY.
CM doesn't even fly (yet) to all the 3 airports in South East Florida (MIA/FLL/PBI), which could support PTY hub traffic, expecting CM to fly to MEX/TLC/NLU at the same time now, it could happen someday soon, but right now it's a pipe-dream.

REDHL

Sat May 21, 2022 3:25 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
If it gets some pressure from the Mexican authorities, my guess is that CM would chose something like Mondays and Fridays PTY-TLC-PTY over PTY-NLU-PTY.
CM doesn't even fly (yet) to all the 3 airports in South East Florida (MIA/FLL/PBI), which could support PTY hub traffic, expecting CM to fly to MEX/TLC/NLU at the same time now, it could happen someday soon, but right now it's a pipe-dream.

Copa was very clear a few months ago regarding operating in NLU or TLC. Is not going to happen, especially taking into account that they have commercial agreements with AM.

santi319

Sat May 21, 2022 4:47 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
CMA727 wrote:

MEX had "only" 50 million PAX in 2019. For one of the largest urban areas in the world, that is a very low figure.

So if ZMVM traffic grows over the next few years, and it raises to 60, 70 or 80M PAX for the metro area, where would those passengers fly from if there was only MEX operating?

The Mexico City metro area was also (if not considering TLC) the largest urban area in the world with a single commercial airport. At some point having one airport has no advantages and a lot of inconveniences (funnelling everyone through a single location). London or LA have 5 or 6 commercial airports and they are fine.

It would be a miracle (and bad planning) that a new additional airport would be full from the very first day. Specially in a post-COVID period where traffic figures are not yet normal.

I really don’t get people comparing MEX to LAX or London.

Mexico can’t have several airports. Its literally 7300 ft surrounded by volcanoes and mountains and poor infrastructure connecting the suburbs (basically only one semi freeway road , no train services, subways etc).
The best solution was one masssive airport in a former lake just a few km from the current airport, but a political war destroyed that.

The airport infrastructure is in its biggest crisis and solutions will just be patches without fixing the root problem.

Trip

Sat May 21, 2022 6:54 pm

Will the rail link to NLU (if it happens) make the airport a lot less inconvenient or will getting there from most parts of CDMX still be a pain?

CMA727

Sat May 21, 2022 8:25 pm

Trip wrote:
Will the rail link to NLU (if it happens) make the airport a lot less inconvenient or will getting there from most parts of CDMX still be a pain?

It will help.

BuildingMyBento

Sat May 21, 2022 9:13 pm

Maybe the next president will Mirabel NLU and try Texcoco 2.0. /s

More than ever, I'm curious about TLC. With the new motorway, it's now within easier reach of the wealhy 'burb of Santa Fe, in addition to Toluca and its environs. Can't imagine how long Santa Fe to NLU is, even if/when the airport train gets completed.

alfa164

Sat May 21, 2022 11:17 pm

victrola wrote:
Would there be any possibility of salvaging the abandoned airport project when another government is elected or have time and the elements taken their toll on that site?

We can only hope so. Mexico deserves something better than a knee-jerk political reaction like, "My predecessor built this, so I will destroy it."

santi319 wrote:
I really don’t get people comparing MEX to LAX or London. Mexico can’t have several airports. Its literally 7300 ft surrounded by volcanoes and mountains and poor infrastructure connecting the suburbs (basically only one semi freeway road , no train services, subways etc). The best solution was one masssive airport in a former lake just a few km from the current airport, but a political war destroyed that.

:checkmark: . A lot of planning - and, it appeared, good planning - went into that airport. Nevertheless, the current government is willing to waste millions of dollars (probably billions of pesos) just to make a political point.

CMA727

Sun May 22, 2022 4:44 am

alfa164 wrote:
victrola wrote:

We can only hope so. Mexico deserves something better than a knee-jerk political reaction like, "My predecessor built this, so I will destroy it."

santi319 wrote:
I really don’t get people comparing MEX to LAX or London. Mexico can’t have several airports. Its literally 7300 ft surrounded by volcanoes and mountains and poor infrastructure connecting the suburbs (basically only one semi freeway road , no train services, subways etc). The best solution was one masssive airport in a former lake just a few km from the current airport, but a political war destroyed that.

:checkmark: . A lot of planning - and, it appeared, good planning - went into that airport. Nevertheless, the current government is willing to waste millions of dollars (probably billions of pesos) just to make a political point.

Let´s be honest and clear here: As much as I supported Texcoco, now that the mexican goverment has wasted one billion of billions of pesos canceling Texcoco and building NLU, making it maybe the most costly airport proyect ever in terms of total investment vs number of gates in the world, they last think mexican tax payers need is to cancel NLU and revive Texcoco. Mexico has a lot of needs for us mexican wasting more money. I have said it many many times here and elsewhere; MEX has not be closed and traffic should be absorved by both NLU and TLC and its maximun capacity.

FFGEEK

Mon May 23, 2022 1:02 am

Sorry if this has already been answered, but couldn't the government take a similar approach to what the Japanese government did with respect to Tokyo when Narita was first opened and move all or the majority of international traffic to the new airport?

Etheereal

Mon May 23, 2022 3:42 pm

FFGEEK wrote:
Sorry if this has already been answered, but couldn't the government take a similar approach to what the Japanese government did with respect to Tokyo when Narita was first opened and move all or the majority of international traffic to the new airport?

They COULD, but they shouldnt, because of all the agreements certain airlines have with AM and the slots acquired in MEX.

CMA727

Mon May 23, 2022 4:42 pm

FFGEEK wrote:

Sustainability of many of MEX international flights depends in a good way on domestic connections, specially at AM and SkyTeam members.

LAXintl

Wed May 25, 2022 5:03 pm

Volaris to launch 10 routes at NLU - Merida, Acapulco, Huatulco, Mexicali, Oaxaca, Puerto Escondido, La Paz, Guadalajara, Los Cabos and Puerto Vallarta.

Separately they are also launching 6 routes from TLC in July.

https://aerolatinnews.com/destacado/vol ... -a-toluca/

BuildingMyBento

Sun May 29, 2022 5:45 am

And as predicted, more flights for TLC:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-05-24/

LAXintl

Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:48 am

Viva adds Santa Lucia to Acapulco, Cancun, Havana, Oaxaca and Puerto Esocndido along with Toluca to Merida and Puerto Vallarta.

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220607-vb3q22nlutlc

Kilgen

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 pm

Looks like CM will start flying to NLU 3 times a week starting September 26.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1537859606130606086

santi319

Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:24 am

BuildingMyBento wrote:
And as predicted, more flights for TLC:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 022-05-24/

I wonder if NK or F9 will add TLC. NK left but they seemed to be doing very good. Since MEX is closed.

Currently no international ULCC serve MEX, except Viva Colombia.

SCQ83

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:04 am

REDHL wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:

Copa was very clear a few months ago regarding operating in NLU or TLC. Is not going to happen, especially taking into account that they have commercial agreements with AM.

Three weeks later this has happened. :D

Kilgen wrote:

REDHL

Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:41 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
REDHL wrote:
2travel2know2 wrote:

Kilgen wrote:

So? That CM is now launching flights to NLU tells me nothing. Furthermore, I think that they wouldn't launch it like that out of the blue unless the local government had provided some "interesting" incentives.

What is going to really matter here is how successful this route is going to be in the coming months or years, especially taking into account the issue of land and air connectivity from NLU.

It should be noted that CM tried PBC (which is also relatively close to Mexico City) in 2015. They pulled the plug after 11 months due to low passenger loads.

SCQ83

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:06 pm

REDHL wrote:
So? That CM is now launching flights to NLU tells me nothing.

You said:

REDHL wrote:

REDHL wrote:
Furthermore, I think that they wouldn't launch it like that out of the blue unless the local government had provided some "interesting" incentives.

Very likely. And so what? That is common everywhere in the US or Europe.

REDHL wrote:
What is going to really matter here is how successful this route is going to be in the coming months or years, especially taking into account the issue of land and air connectivity from NLU.

It should be noted that CM tried PBC (which is also relatively close to Mexico City) in 2015. They pulled the plug after 11 months due to low passenger loads.

I agree. I am a bit skeptical about them being successful with a 3-weekly only when down the road in MEX it is 5-daily. They should have at least started with a daily flight.

In any case with the last news it seems that (as I previously said) MEX will become a sort of LHR with legacy carriers and the low-cost growth will be moved out of MEX and split between TLC/NLU that will become sort of Gatwick/Stansted for CDMX, focused on point-to-point domestic and regional flights and low-cost carriers.

dodgers702

Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:20 pm

REDHL wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
REDHL wrote:

Kilgen wrote:

So? That CM is now launching flights to NLU tells me nothing. Furthermore, I think that they wouldn't launch it like that out of the blue unless the local government had provided some "interesting" incentives.

Officials have also been trying to persuade foreign international airlines who may have interest in flying to Mexico to land at NLU. They jumped the gun with Qatar and now they have talked to airline officials such as Royal Air Maroc, Saudia, and even Air India (according to articles) and stated (supposedly) there is such interest from said airlines. Obviously taken with grain of salt but just tells you how desperate they want this new airport to succeed. I know it is easier said than done but was hoping they would transfer all domestic flights to NLU and keep international at MEX.

santi319

Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:00 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
I know it is easier said than done but was hoping they would transfer all domestic flights to NLU and keep international at MEX.

Seriously??? The drive alone from metro Mexico City to NLU is almost the same as the flight times to half of domestic flights from MEX…

dodgers702

Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:43 pm

santi319 wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:
I know it is easier said than done but was hoping they would transfer all domestic flights to NLU and keep international at MEX.

Seriously??? The drive alone from metro Mexico City to NLU is almost the same as the flight times to half of domestic flights from MEX…

Well maybe not all domestic flights then... :D

2travel2know2

Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:18 pm

Kilgen wrote:
CM would perform "less bad" in TLC than in NLU.
My personal opinion.
But the locals authorities want airlines flying to NLU (not to TLC) and most likely CM does want something from the Mexicans.

CMA727

Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:22 pm

victrola wrote:

That I hope will not happen for mexicans we have already wasted too much public money canceling Texcoco and builiding Santa Lucía. Moreover, I am sure the military will never agree on this.

CMA727

Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:26 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
Maybe the next president will Mirabel NLU and try Texcoco 2.0. /s

More than ever, I'm curious about TLC. With the new motorway, it's now within easier reach of the wealhy 'burb of Santa Fe, in addition to Toluca and its environs. Can't imagine how long Santa Fe to NLU is, even if/when the airport train gets completed.

No one will dare to build Texcoco 2.0 for that would mean to hurt the military at their brand new airport (NLU) and Air Base.

mercure1

Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:36 pm

Volaris boosting its NLU network with six new routes starting mid-September

Guadalajara, La Paz, Los Cabos, Oaxaca, Puerto Vallarta, and Puerto Escondido

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... w-airport/

RobK

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:37 am

Does anyone think TLC will close and all the biz move to MEX once all the airliner traffic is forced to use NLU ? I'm sure MEX would be more attractive to the CEOs than TLC as they likely all go to CDMX for business. Any locals to comment?

GSPSPOT

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:52 am

We flew through MEX on vacation in August, and on approach to MEX we flew over what looked like a massive airport. I don't know which direction we approached from, but I'm sure it was either TLC or NLU. It looked lovely. Just wonder about transit times into CDMX.

CarlosSi

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:39 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
We flew through MEX on vacation in August, and on approach to MEX we flew over what looked like a massive airport. I don't know which direction we approached from, but I'm sure it was either TLC or NLU. It looked lovely. Just wonder about transit times into CDMX.

Probably NLU.

There’s remnants of what would’ve been the new airport on the approach to the southwestern runways but it probably wasn’t that.

jrfspa320

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:27 am

GSPSPOT wrote:

I think there is a direct bus connecting NLU and CDMX