Kno
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:13 pm

I've always preferred Delta or United but American didn't used to be as bottom of the barrel for me as it is now. I avoid them as much as possible and when I do fly them they are noticeably colder and less friendly towards customers with noticeably less comfortable aircraft and noticeably cheaper service.

I'm willing to pay extra and connect out of my way for the Delta experience.
 
ckfred
Posts: 5159
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Alias1024 wrote:

The new uniforms are a perfect microcosm of AA a couple years ago. They took a chance to excite their frontline employees and deliver something stylish and unique, and instead delivered a boring gray outfit that makes people itchy. Stale, corporate, and aggravating. I guess that’s three more words.


I hate to tell you, but boring and gray is the current trend in uniforms. McDonald's has ditched uniforms with color for black and gray. The staff had my car dealerships (one Chevy, the other Buick-GMC) all wear black or gray polos with the dealer name and brand logos embroidered. Years ago, I had a Pontiac. All of the sales staff at the dealer wore neckties that were the same shade of red as the Pontiac arrowhead. On Fridays and Saturdays, they wore polo shirts or oxfords that were in the same shade of red. I think if you go to any sort of corporate fashion designer, the first go-round of ideas will be black and/or gray.

When I pick up my son at high school, 80% of the kids are wearing black or dark gray. Even on Fridays (spirit days), you see a lot of kids wearing black and gray items with the school logo, which is sky blue and navy. You don't see anyone "wearing" school colors, other than athletes and cheerleaders.

Frankly, AA has never been known for fashion-forward uniforms. I have pictures of my first airplane ride on AA in 1963 (on a CV-240). The stewardesses were in powder blue, and the pilots were in navy. Yawn.

But, I understand your point. Five years ago, I was waiting for a bus at SEA, when the AF crew showed up for their shuttle bus. The female F/A uniforms clearly were designed by a French fashion house. Even though the primary color was navy, they just looked better than AA, AS, DL, UA, or even other European carriers like BA and LH. And BA's overseas hats with the BA swoop pin is more fashion-forward than any of the U.S. carriers.
 
ripcordd
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2000 1:12 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 pm

it didn't help that the employees are suing over the reaction to the uniforms.....Also Kirby going to UA was the thinking that after DP ISOM will continue the HP way
 
DarthLobster
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:42 pm

Dispose Of Parker
 
User avatar
fsx98
Posts: 592
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:54 pm

As a loyal AA fan and frequent AA flyer, it is sad to see this airline being dumbed down to where CS is on par with UA and even NK; some downfalls leading to this include uncomfortable seating on some planes, hit/miss delays in their major hubs in ORD and DFW, and hit/miss on friendliness of cabin crew. Despite having regained my confidence on AA on my ABQ trip after a terrible trip experience w/ AA on my return trip from MCO this past summer, I am starting to lean my preference on WN as the airline I would want to fly, although I won't rule out AA when it comes to which airline I will plan to fly in future trips that involves flying. My three words for AA: Please Do Better.
 
olddominion727
Posts: 465
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 pm

Remembering Defunct Legacies:

NW, PA, EA, TW, CO, AQ, NA, WA, PS, BN to name a few. Please don't sit idle AA. you will be a part of this graveyard when you're eventually broken up the way PA was, or torn down like EA, BN, and TW and sold for parts... good management almost turned it around for TW at the end. They almost rose above it, but the cancer of bad management was far too spread. AA you don't have a captive audience anymore. The years with the RC leadership were amazing and are sadly over. I used to love being in a Foreign Country and seeing the AA and eagle on the tale as I was entering the terminal. I knew I was halfway home. You're far too political with your stances on issues. I am not giving you business for your political or lifestyle endorsement. I contract you to fly me from origin do destination safely, on time and without incident, and hopefully my legs not being numb from being smash into the seat in front of me. I have not seen a television commercial for AA in years that depicted the pride you had in being an airline built around the love for travel and servicing your patrons. I am also in the travel industry, though not with an airline. Passengers are poised to fight on board and over the phone, because you've taught them you don't care once you get their money. All I can say is DP needs to be banned from the airline industry like Frank Lorenzo was before we loose once of the greatest legacies in US Commercial Avation. People laughed and said it was impossible that the previously mentioned legacies are now only living in the pages of US Commercial Aviation History. If you don't clean up your act, and stop treating people as chattel or the means to line your pockets, you too will adorn those pages as one of saddest deaths that could have been avoided.
 
flyguy84
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:26 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 pm

fsx98 wrote:
As a loyal AA fan and frequent AA flyer, it is sad to see this airline being dumbed down to where CS is on par with UA and even NK; some downfalls leading to this include uncomfortable seating on some planes, hit/miss delays in their major hubs in ORD and DFW, and hit/miss on friendliness of cabin crew. Despite having regained my confidence on AA on my ABQ trip after a terrible trip experience w/ AA on my return trip from MCO this past summer, I am starting to lean my preference on WN as the airline I would want to fly, although I won't rule out AA when it comes to which airline I will plan to fly in future trips that involves flying. My three words for AA: Please Do Better.

If you’re worried about delays and cancellations, you certainly won’t find solace in WN. They are consistently at the bottom of the pack in on-time departures and completion.
SFO
 
LHUSA
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:15 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:10 pm

flyguy84 wrote:
fsx98 wrote:
As a loyal AA fan and frequent AA flyer, it is sad to see this airline being dumbed down to where CS is on par with UA and even NK; some downfalls leading to this include uncomfortable seating on some planes, hit/miss delays in their major hubs in ORD and DFW, and hit/miss on friendliness of cabin crew. Despite having regained my confidence on AA on my ABQ trip after a terrible trip experience w/ AA on my return trip from MCO this past summer, I am starting to lean my preference on WN as the airline I would want to fly, although I won't rule out AA when it comes to which airline I will plan to fly in future trips that involves flying. My three words for AA: Please Do Better.

If you’re worried about delays and cancellations, you certainly won’t find solace in WN. They are consistently at the bottom of the pack in on-time departures and completion.


People always fail to realize this because WN gives them the warm and fuzzies. My loyal WN friends would swear WN has the best on time record compared to the US3. Perception is everything.
 
usairways787
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:42 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:19 pm

lowfareair wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
The linked article is a little superficial.

More money was never going to make certain AA employee groups happy - they will always think they deserve yet more still. They've been conditioned - by AA/US/HP management, or by their union representation - to think reflexively that management is always screwing them.


The big issue with giving them more money was that nothing was asked for in exchange, and even looking at some of the more recent issues - like MCE having dedicated bins except FAs were told they don't have to enforce it, show that management is actively encouraging laziness. That is a huge issue IMO, and one they need to fix.


Wrong, plenty was asked of us, we gave in to cross utilization. LUS couldn't work our planes, we could work theirs, and it created quite a mess. So yes, it was asked, and we gave, since then, we're still without a contract that was promised as industry leading 5 years ago. Guess we're wrong to want to reopen stations that were outsourced so people could back home and stop commuting, and putting a stop to the gray areas "as needed" in contract language.

US787
 
AA747123
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:15 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:34 pm

First of all Parker and team are not going anywhere. All fairly young still plan on his team being around another 10 years at least. He needs to decide weather he wants to be a world class airline that offers premium service and can command that revenue, or go back to his HP roots and be bargain basement cheap catering to the vacation crowd that flies once a year. So far he has not been able to do both which is what he has been trying to do. He needs to get ahold of his spending, and start paying down debt. I really dont think he needed to spend 3 billion on his new HDQ complex that rivals GOOGLEs building.

Looking at Deltas new A220 its obvious they want to be a premium airline by offering a wonderful experience, the large personal TVs are a classy touch and the cabin looks roomy and spacious. AAs new 737 MAX is a horrible customer experience, even First Class is cramped and uncomfortable.

LUS took over AA thinking they could run it like they did HP and it isnt working.
 
Sancho99504
Posts: 649
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:44 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm

AA747123 wrote:
First of all Parker and team are not going anywhere. All fairly young still plan on his team being around another 10 years at least. He needs to decide weather he wants to be a world class airline that offers premium service and can command that revenue, or go back to his HP roots and be bargain basement cheap catering to the vacation crowd that flies once a year. So far he has not been able to do both which is what he has been trying to do. He needs to get ahold of his spending, and start paying down debt. I really dont think he needed to spend 3 billion on his new HDQ complex that rivals GOOGLEs building.

Looking at Deltas new A220 its obvious they want to be a premium airline by offering a wonderful experience, the large personal TVs are a classy touch and the cabin looks roomy and spacious. AAs new 737 MAX is a horrible customer experience, even First Class is cramped and uncomfortable.

LUS took over AA thinking they could run it like they did HP and it isnt working.

He already stated shortly before Kirby left that they were going to focus on the people who only fly once or twice a year.
I used to fly TUL-DFW-SEA and return every weekend for 3 years and then flew the reverse every other week for 2 years on AA. I last flew that route on AA 17 Aug 17. I now fly DL and connect either in SLC or ATL depending on my schedule. The only time I will go out of my way to fly AA is on JFK-LAX, which isn't very often and that is starting to see some problems. I flew LAX-JFK last week on B6 and probably won't be returning to AA unless they're at least $350 cheaper in F over DL.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC
 
User avatar
Channex757
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:07 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:23 pm

 
L0VE2FLY
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:25 pm

My Least Favorite. The reason why I'm not a fan of AA is the fact that their future long haul fleet will be almost exclusively 787, my least favorite airliner ever, as a window seat fiend I'd tolerate everything, except the crew dimming my window against my will, that's why I always avoid the 787. I haven't flown their 737 MAX but I did hear a lot about the super tight seating on this forum and even on mainstream media, both on TV & online. Viva Delta!
 
crazyplane1234
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:58 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:43 pm

L0VE2FLY wrote:
The reason why I'm not a fan of AA is the fact that their future long haul fleet will be almost exclusively 787, my least favorite airliner ever, as a window seat fiend I'd tolerate everything, except the crew dimming my window against my will, that's why I always avoid the 787.

That's an AA problem, not a 787 problem. Even if AA sold off all their 787s and bought 100 A350s, they would still tell you to close the shades.

Also, AA once tried to make their Y seats more comfortable, and it failed miserably.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:58 pm

DL shows off its new A220 with in flight seat entertainment. AA shows off it’s 738 MAX with the passenger amenities of a DC9. I wish the major airlines would get off this ULCC kick but it’s the wave of the future.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 pm

itchief wrote:
SPREE34 wrote:
AA is what it's going to be for a long time to come. The culture has to change, and the opportunity to do that during the merger process was squandered. The needed culture change will take time as the old flushes out and new that can promote the change filter in. DP didn't cause this. He is but one factor in many. AA was like this before DP, US as well.


Sorry but you are wrong. AA was a good airline before Doug Parker and his US Air buddies took over.


Good at what? Going bankrupt? In 2012 L-AA was bankrupt and on the ropes. US Air tied up their (profitable) company to turn the tide.

Given the state of the industry in 2012, there was a solid chance a bankruptcy judge would have approved a liquidation of AA just like PanAM- exactly what the creditors wanted.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
OzarkD9S
Posts: 5436
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2001 2:31 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 pm

My Fourth Choice
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio
 
DeltaPrince
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:46 am

Varsity1 wrote:
itchief wrote:
SPREE34 wrote:
AA is what it's going to be for a long time to come. The culture has to change, and the opportunity to do that during the merger process was squandered. The needed culture change will take time as the old flushes out and new that can promote the change filter in. DP didn't cause this. He is but one factor in many. AA was like this before DP, US as well.


Sorry but you are wrong. AA was a good airline before Doug Parker and his US Air buddies took over.


Good at what? Going bankrupt? In 2012 L-AA was bankrupt and on the ropes. US Air tied up their (profitable) company to turn the tide.

Given the state of the industry in 2012, there was a solid chance a bankruptcy judge would have approved a liquidation of AA just like PanAM- exactly what the creditors wanted.


Bull----. AA entered BK with billions. The main motivators for BK were to abrogate employment contracts; turn pensions over to PBGC (didn't happen...they were frozen); get out of unfavorable leases; reduce debt and outsource a good percentage of labor. And, frankly, airlines now see BK as a competitive weapon.

Once UA and DL went, it was a foregone conclusion that AA would go eventually.
 
ripcordd
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2000 1:12 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:10 pm

AA went to BK to shed pension it was costing them around 1 Billion extra vs DL/UA/US that's a lot to make up. They went in with lots of cash and with they would have never been forced to liquidate they used BK as tool that's it. While AA should have done it in 2003 they waited too long and Arpey saw the turn around coming and thought they could make it work and the BOD didn't see it his way and sent him packing and put Horton to go into BK.
 
Varsity1
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 pm

DeltaPrince wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
itchief wrote:

Sorry but you are wrong. AA was a good airline before Doug Parker and his US Air buddies took over.


Good at what? Going bankrupt? In 2012 L-AA was bankrupt and on the ropes. US Air tied up their (profitable) company to turn the tide.

Given the state of the industry in 2012, there was a solid chance a bankruptcy judge would have approved a liquidation of AA just like PanAM- exactly what the creditors wanted.


Bull----. AA entered BK with billions. The main motivators for BK were to abrogate employment contracts; turn pensions over to PBGC (didn't happen...they were frozen); get out of unfavorable leases; reduce debt and outsource a good percentage of labor. And, frankly, airlines now see BK as a competitive weapon.

Once UA and DL went, it was a foregone conclusion that AA would go eventually.


You realize entering BK with lots of assets and lots of cash is a perfect storm for liquidation...

Creditor A: "Hey we have this bankrupt airline; it has a ton of cash, ton of assets and just shed half it's liabilities, let's just sell it all, get our money out and run"
Creditors XYZ: "Sounds like a good idea!"


Airlines with high value assets (slots and routes) are prime candidates for liquidation in BK. Carl Icahn essentially liquidated TWA while it was still operating under the same premise, just with a leveraged buy out.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
L0VE2FLY
Posts: 994
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:21 pm

crazyplane1234 wrote:
L0VE2FLY wrote:
The reason why I'm not a fan of AA is the fact that their future long haul fleet will be almost exclusively 787, my least favorite airliner ever, as a window seat fiend I'd tolerate everything, except the crew dimming my window against my will, that's why I always avoid the 787.

That's an AA problem, not a 787 problem. Even if AA sold off all their 787s and bought 100 A350s, they would still tell you to close the shades.


The crew-override feature allows the crew to dim the windows any time they want, which they do very often, many airlines are abusing this feature. More sleeping pax = Less workload for the cabin crew and reduced expenses for the airline, less food and drinks consumed, etc..., I only close the shades when it's necessary to do so.
 
User avatar
AASAP777
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Three words: Best job ever!
Bendiga Dios la pródiga tierra en que nací....God bless the prodigal land where I was born.
H O N D U R A S! Five star country...Un país de cinco estrellas.
 
crazyplane1234
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:58 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm

L0VE2FLY wrote:
The crew-override feature allows the crew to dim the windows any time they want, which they do very often, many airlines are abusing this feature. More sleeping pax = Less workload for the cabin crew and reduced expenses for the airline, less food and drinks consumed, etc..., I only close the shades when it's necessary to do so.

You seem to be missing the point.

On other aircraft, the crew can instruct you to close the shades any time they want, which they do very often, many flight attendants are abusing their position of power.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4401
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:33 pm

Bathroom too small
:stirthepot:
 
superjeff
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:14 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm Platinum Pro at AA. They have downgraded their soft product tremendously and it shows. Problem is I think Delta and United aren't noticeably better. As long as you have 30" pitch and no alternative, they can get away with it. I live in Dallas, so I'm stuck flying with them. and becoming more and more unhappy.
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2956
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:31 pm

superjeff wrote:
I'm Platinum Pro at AA. They have downgraded their soft product tremendously and it shows. Problem is I think Delta and United aren't noticeably better. As long as you have 30" pitch and no alternative, they can get away with it. I live in Dallas, so I'm stuck flying with them. and becoming more and more unhappy.


Stuck in Dallas? Next time you have to come to NYC, pick a flight on DL's new A220. You should absolutely see a difference then.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2035
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:56 am

FSDan wrote:
Having recently moved from Madison, WI to Tucson, AZ, I've flown AA more recently in the last month than any other airline. Definitely underwhelmed. Had a misconnect in PHX a few weeks ago where the gate agent for my second flight wouldn't hold the departure for 5 minutes to allow three connecting passengers from my delayed TUS-PHX flight to make it on board. I've had experiences on both DL and UA where the gate agents built some serious goodwill with me by holding a departure after a slightly delayed inbound arrival, but this AA agent was stone cold.


Not excusing the stone cold behavior, but unfortunately the reality is that flights in PHX aren't held unless there is no protection for you. With the 25 minute minimum connect time it is a big struggle for a lot of people to connect. The agents don't have the power to hold and no sup wants to be responsible for the delay given it gets coded straight to them.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:04 am

flyguy84 wrote:
fsx98 wrote:
As a loyal AA fan and frequent AA flyer, it is sad to see this airline being dumbed down to where CS is on par with UA and even NK; some downfalls leading to this include uncomfortable seating on some planes, hit/miss delays in their major hubs in ORD and DFW, and hit/miss on friendliness of cabin crew. Despite having regained my confidence on AA on my ABQ trip after a terrible trip experience w/ AA on my return trip from MCO this past summer, I am starting to lean my preference on WN as the airline I would want to fly, although I won't rule out AA when it comes to which airline I will plan to fly in future trips that involves flying. My three words for AA: Please Do Better.

If you’re worried about delays and cancellations, you certainly won’t find solace in WN. They are consistently at the bottom of the pack in on-time departures and completion.

WN and AA are practically identical for on time arrival in 2018 (not counting regionals).
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3530
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:06 am

Huge. Painless. Plain.

It's pretty ridiculous what gets said about AA. The negatives against them can be said for most carriers. I've had consistently solid experiences with AA. They come off a bit plain in some aspects, but plain is just fine when they get you where you need to go and treat you well.
 
User avatar
N62NA
Posts: 4413
Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 1:05 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:48 am

I am squarely in the minority here.

Consistently good service.

I am just about to make Platinum for this year (tomorrow's flight) so I have flown with them more than just a handful of times. I have found the flight attendants to range from good to excellent (usually the MIA based ones have been the most friendly).

The food in F is good / very good, I more often than not end up on a 763 or 757 which has the bed seat which is much appreciated on a domestic flight.

International, the 772 / 77W / 788 / 789 are great in J (though still not a fan of the backwards / forwards seating, but I'm getting used to it).

I never fly Y, so maybe all the complaining has to do with the Y experience. But up front, they're very good.
 
Samrnpage
Posts: 555
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:02 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:47 am

Should be proud
 
ctrabs0114
Posts: 936
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:09 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:04 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Becoming Spirit Airlines


That would be an insult to NK, where at least you know what you're getting.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA
 
theasianguy
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:31 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:35 am

It's easy to criticize AA for underperforming UA and DL on this board, since so many work inside the industry. They seem to be the weakest internationally and do not have the ambitious growth plans of UA, or extreme yield management of DL.

However, from a passenger's perspective, I do not think AA is any worse than UA. AA have recently adopted more flyer friendly policies for the lowest Y pax, such as a free rollerboard on basic economy, while UA still refuses. On NYC-LAX/SFO, AA flies relatively new A321's with a great hard product, while UA is still flying dated 757's that constantly break down or, even worse, high density 10 abreast 777s without in-seat IFE. Except for AA's embarrassing 767's, which are on the way out, their newly configured long haul fleet of 777s and 787s also offer better hard product up front than the vast majority of the UA fleet with a dated J product. I don't see as many people bashing UA for using the same 30" pitch slimlines and streaming IFE across the entire short-haul fleet.

Sure, AA management might be clueless these days, but I don't think the customer experience is any worse than on UA. Of course, DL is a cut above both.
 
User avatar
gunsontheroof
Posts: 3561
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:30 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:09 am

Livery still weird.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.
 
stlgph
Posts: 10996
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:31 am

alasizon wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Having recently moved from Madison, WI to Tucson, AZ, I've flown AA more recently in the last month than any other airline. Definitely underwhelmed. Had a misconnect in PHX a few weeks ago where the gate agent for my second flight wouldn't hold the departure for 5 minutes to allow three connecting passengers from my delayed TUS-PHX flight to make it on board. I've had experiences on both DL and UA where the gate agents built some serious goodwill with me by holding a departure after a slightly delayed inbound arrival, but this AA agent was stone cold.


Not excusing the stone cold behavior, but unfortunately the reality is that flights in PHX aren't held unless there is no protection for you. With the 25 minute minimum connect time it is a big struggle for a lot of people to connect. The agents don't have the power to hold and no sup wants to be responsible for the delay given it gets coded straight to them.


It's like that throughout the entire AA system and it's a ridiculous policy that needs to be changed, especially if it is American's fault for the misconnect. There were a few near riots in PHL at the customer service counters....not that I didn't help kind of egg it or anything.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport
 
jumbojet
Posts: 2956
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:01 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:52 pm

stlgph wrote:
alasizon wrote:
FSDan wrote:
Having recently moved from Madison, WI to Tucson, AZ, I've flown AA more recently in the last month than any other airline. Definitely underwhelmed. Had a misconnect in PHX a few weeks ago where the gate agent for my second flight wouldn't hold the departure for 5 minutes to allow three connecting passengers from my delayed TUS-PHX flight to make it on board. I've had experiences on both DL and UA where the gate agents built some serious goodwill with me by holding a departure after a slightly delayed inbound arrival, but this AA agent was stone cold.


Not excusing the stone cold behavior, but unfortunately the reality is that flights in PHX aren't held unless there is no protection for you. With the 25 minute minimum connect time it is a big struggle for a lot of people to connect. The agents don't have the power to hold and no sup wants to be responsible for the delay given it gets coded straight to them.


It's like that throughout the entire AA system and it's a ridiculous policy that needs to be changed, especially if it is American's fault for the misconnect. There were a few near riots in PHL at the customer service counters....not that I didn't help kind of egg it or anything.



There are always choices when flying. Sometimes folks make bad decisions while others make the right decisions.

Remember this? Happened in Phoenix too.

Delta Air Lines pilot turned plane around and returned to gate to pick up family so they wouldn't miss their father's funeral after seeing distraught son through window

The Short family arrived late due to a delay on the first leg of their journey
Plane was pulling away from the gate at Minneapolis-St Paul airport
Airline staff told the family the tower wouldn't allow the plane to return
Pilot made the call to turn around after seeing distraught family members
They made it to Memphis on time and were able to attend the funeral
 
nomorerjs
Posts: 877
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:24 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:58 pm

Short sell stock
Bye bye Parker
Rain means cancellations
Greyhound with wings

For anetters:
We’re closing Chicago
We’re closing Phoenix
Connect in Dallas
 
EWRamp
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:46 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:00 pm

I havent flown AA in over 15 years so I cant comment on the state of the company at this point. But i can comment on my last experience. Three words i would use to describe them would be "Piece of sh*t". I was traveling unaccompanied for the first time. I was 15 years old flying from BGI to JFK. We boarded and departed on time. Taxied to the runway and lined up. Then proceeded down the runway very slowly, we were heading back to the gate for MX. They worked on the #1 engine for almost 2 hours. Then the captain informs us that they were unable to remedy the problem so we will be flying to SJU and swapping aircraft. I was terrified knowing i was flying in a plane with issues but i was by myself and didnt know what to do if i got off. Well as you can tell I lived to tell the story but thatvwas the last time I was ever going to fly AA... "PIECE OF SH*T"
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:15 pm

DeltaXNA wrote:
It is sad that AA is going down hill instead of going for great. This article states that American Airlines asked it's employees to describe the airline in 3 words.

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/am ... d-sad.html




AA needs to improve the customer experience. United has improved, Southwest and Delta have as far as I know always been consistently good. What does AA need to do to improve? Removing a row of seats from each plane would be a good start?



AA needs a HUGE improvement in Customer service. Also, the employees working in Philly, were useless, rude, and complete condescending. (It was 5 or 6 employees too. Not just one) NEVER again ... will I fly AA to Philly.
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2485
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:45 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
Livery still weird.

THANK YOU!!!!
 
AWACSooner
Posts: 2485
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:35 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:53 pm

nomorerjs wrote:
Rain means cancellations

Especially if there's a lightning strike within 500 miles of DFW.
 
SammyXV
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:43 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Got me there.

They did the job I paid for and got me where I was going on time and in one piece. There was a wonderful flight attendant in Y who even gave me an extra shooter of whisky for my drink. Comparing this to the arrogant young man on my return flight with UA whom sat in his jump seat playing on his phone ignoring those trying to summons him.
 
User avatar
Nomadd
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Why do people keep bashing AA? I think it's wonderful to have a group of people who listen to your story without judgement and support you when you're feeling down.
 
kiowa
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:24 pm

jumbojet wrote:
stlgph wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Not excusing the stone cold behavior, but unfortunately the reality is that flights in PHX aren't held unless there is no protection for you. With the 25 minute minimum connect time it is a big struggle for a lot of people to connect. The agents don't have the power to hold and no sup wants to be responsible for the delay given it gets coded straight to them.


It's like that throughout the entire AA system and it's a ridiculous policy that needs to be changed, especially if it is American's fault for the misconnect. There were a few near riots in PHL at the customer service counters....not that I didn't help kind of egg it or anything.



There are always choices when flying. Sometimes folks make bad decisions while others make the right decisions.

Remember this? Happened in Phoenix too.

Delta Air Lines pilot turned plane around and returned to gate to pick up family so they wouldn't miss their father's funeral after seeing distraught son through window

The Short family arrived late due to a delay on the first leg of their journey
Plane was pulling away from the gate at Minneapolis-St Paul airport
Airline staff told the family the tower wouldn't allow the plane to return
Pilot made the call to turn around after seeing distraught family members
They made it to Memphis on time and were able to attend the funeral


Why do some people consistantly try to hijack a discussion about any airline and direct it to delta?

My absolute 2 worst experiences in aviation were with Delta so how about 3 words--

Better Than Delta

I have not flown on delta for almost a year now so my opinion has little merit but I have flown AA quite a bit recently and they have done what I paid them to do with some very good crew members.
 
User avatar
American 767
Posts: 4477
Joined: Wed May 19, 1999 7:27 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:03 pm

N62NA wrote:
I am squarely in the minority here.

Consistently good service.

I am just about to make Platinum for this year (tomorrow's flight) so I have flown with them more than just a handful of times. I have found the flight attendants to range from good to excellent (usually the MIA based ones have been the most friendly).

The food in F is good / very good, I more often than not end up on a 763 or 757 which has the bed seat which is much appreciated on a domestic flight.

International, the 772 / 77W / 788 / 789 are great in J (though still not a fan of the backwards / forwards seating, but I'm getting used to it).

I never fly Y, so maybe all the complaining has to do with the Y experience. But up front, they're very good.


I'm with you on that one. So here I am on the minority, as well.
I have flown American for the last 30 years of my life on a regular basis, of course I have flown other airlines too but to a lesser extent. What I mean is American has been part of my life since the late 80s when I started flying with them. I was never dissatisfied with them, even after reading numerous complaints from passengers in the forum and other sources, and watching videos on YouTube about upset passengers. I don't mind going through CLT when traveling on the East Coast, instead of taking a direct flight with Delta or Jet Blue from NYC.
I have flown on the 777-200 but not the 300. I have never been on a 787 but I have no doubt it is a very pleasant aircraft to fly on.

So what are my three words: Making Me Happy.
Ben Soriano
 
N649DL
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:15 pm

DeltaXNA wrote:
United has improved, Southwest and Delta have as far as I know always been consistently good. What does AA need to do to improve?


Better. Than. United.

UA still needs lots of improvement. I personally don't find anything too offensive these days with AA in comparison.
Last edited by N649DL on Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
wingman
Posts: 3803
Joined: Thu May 27, 1999 4:25 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Deep Vein Thrombosis for $100 Alex.
 
LHUSA
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:15 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:33 pm

N649DL wrote:
DeltaXNA wrote:
United has improved, Southwest and Delta have as far as I know always been consistently good. What does AA need to do to improve?


Better. Than. United.

UA still needs lots of improvement. I personally don't find anything too offensive these days with AA in comparison.


Sounds like the words of a loyal AA flier, whom I doubt ever steps foot on a UA aircraft. No way AA is better than UA at the moment. Nothing against AA, they're just in a downturn. They'll come out. Every airline goes through it.
 
DFW17L
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:53 am

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:59 pm

I love ‘em. Rarely do the flight crew or agents not return a smile. It’s my fellow passengers that need sometimes to work on their manners. Keep up the great work silver bird.
 
N649DL
Posts: 614
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: Describe AA in 3 Words Article

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:38 pm

LHUSA wrote:
N649DL wrote:
DeltaXNA wrote:
United has improved, Southwest and Delta have as far as I know always been consistently good. What does AA need to do to improve?


Better. Than. United.

UA still needs lots of improvement. I personally don't find anything too offensive these days with AA in comparison.


Sounds like the words of a loyal AA flier, whom I doubt ever steps foot on a UA aircraft. No way AA is better than UA at the moment. Nothing against AA, they're just in a downturn. They'll come out. Every airline goes through it.


How is AA in a downturn? I know they have a lot of debt but what else? Just seems like there's a lot of hate towards the on this forum for no reason.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos