Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Acey
Topic Author

WS Announces YYC-ATL, YYZ-BCN, YYT-FLL

Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:48 pm

If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

evank516

Re: WS Announces YYC-ATL, YYZ-BCN, YYT-FLL

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:08 pm

YYC-ATL will almost definitely be a JV flight.

FA9295

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:09 pm

YYC-ATL is a logical add, especially at year-round. It'll definitely help get more connections via Delta...

BCN and FLL appear to be seasonal routes, which makes sense given that those are generally seasonal markets...

FA9295

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:12 pm

WS appears to already have some codeshare destinations in mind (via ATL on Delta, of course):

WestJet is the only airline flying non-stop from Calgary to ATL, the world's largest airline hub – home of Delta Airlines, a WestJet codeshare partner since 2011. Together with Delta, via Hartsfield-Jackson airport WestJet will offer codeshare access to an extensive list of U.S. destinations including the southeastern United States and Gulf Coast and cities such as Memphis, Tenn., Charleston, S.C., New Orleans, La., Savannah, Ga., Pensacola and Panama City, Fla.

master14225

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:13 pm

They should've added year round YVR-ATL or is DL going to do that?

jbs2886

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Acey wrote:

How would it not be true? This is coming directly from WestJet's press room? lol

Cubsrule

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 pm

How many more TATL flights can they squeeze into YYZ Terminal 3 in the summer? That place is a mess; last summer featured liberal use of busses and the Infield Terminal because Terminal 3 was quite literally out of gates.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Acey
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:22 pm

If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

wave46

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:25 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
How many more TATL flights can they squeeze into YYZ Terminal 3 in the summer? That place is a mess; last summer featured liberal use of busses and the Infield Terminal because Terminal 3 was quite literally out of gates.

The growth has strained YYZ (especially Terminal 3) quite notably. I've no idea how they'll do it - but they must have a plan because they're launching the route (I hope).

RJNUT

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:31 pm

Cool.. On a smaller note I am awaiting YQT and YQR to MSP on WS Q400's and tie those communities back into the DL system as they once were )

globalflyer

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:49 pm

Congratulations ATL. Adding WS is a great addition.
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

airbazar

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:02 pm

I am surprised that they don't fly YYC-BOS, at least seasonally. Last year I went to Banff for a ski vacation from BOS and flew WS via YYZ. On the return we waited well over 1 hour for our luggage to be screened by U.S. customs (I'll never transfer in Canada again, but that's a different story). I had already accepted that we'd miss our connection when they made the announcement that they were holding the flight to BOS because more than half of the passengers were connecting from the YYC flight that we were on and like us were all waiting for their luggage. In other words, on that particular day more than half of the passengers going to BOS had originated in YYC.

master14225

Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm

BOS is also a DL focus city so YYC-BOS could actually work.

airbazar wrote:
I am surprised that they don't fly YYC-BOS, at least seasonally. Last year I went to Banff for a ski vacation from BOS and flew WS via YYZ. On the return we waited well over 1 hour for our luggage to be screened by U.S. customs (I'll never transfer in Canada again, but that's a different story). I had already accepted that we'd miss our connection when they made the announcement that they were holding the flight to BOS because more than half of the passengers were connecting from the YYC flight that we were on and like us were all waiting for their luggage. In other words, on that particular day more than half of the passengers going to BOS had originated in YYC.

aviator2000

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:13 pm

3 airlines flyng YYZ-BCN on summer and not a single one does year-round

kavok

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:34 pm

The YYC-ATL flight makes sense, but am surprised it is being announced now. I would have thought they’d waited until the pending JV was officially approved before making this add.

SCQ83

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:36 pm

aviator2000 wrote:

It is a sun & beach destination. But isn't AC Rouge year-round?

peanuts

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Not to nitpick but a partner airline should know the correct spelling of the name of who it's going to bed with...

fjmm92

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:39 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
aviator2000 wrote:

Is the busiest destination from Canada to Spain... Barcelona has more than a beach...

RJNUT

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:39 pm

kavok wrote:
The YYC-ATL flight makes sense, but am surprised it is being announced now. I would have thought they’d waited until the pending JV was officially approved before making this add.

The have the codeshare in place already, so the feed is already there. The JV just adds another layer of cooperation that isn't needed to add this route.

Noise

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:42 pm

fjmm92 wrote:
SCQ83 wrote:
aviator2000 wrote:

Is the busiest destination from Canada to Spain... Barcelona has more than a beach...

Funny, 26 years ago it didn't even have a beach!

ScottB

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:45 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Delta Airlines, a WestJet codeshare partner since 2011.

One would think that if they've been a codeshare partner since 2011, they'd know it's Delta Air Lines.

fjmm92 wrote:

But the non-beach/cruise/sightseeing traffic probably isn't sufficient for any of the Canadian carriers to serve BCN year-round, and AC can connect business/VFR passengers through its JV partner hubs in Europe.

master14225 wrote:
BOS is also a DL focus city so YYC-BOS could actually work.

Maybe but BOS isn't well-located for domestic U.S. connections and transatlantic connections would require an extra set of CBP screenings in both directions for Canadian passengers -- not exactly appealing.

Bingo1

Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:56 pm

Acey wrote:

YYC-ATL surprised me a little as I doubted there was enough passengers between the USA Southeast and Alberta to warrant this. Does anyone know what the PDEW between YYC and ATL is? Or even between YEG and ATL? If I'm flying out of YEG and going to ATL I'd much rather connect in MSP than YYC as transborder is easier but YYC definitely has their fans.

We saw how Delta dropped YQR and I wouldn't be surprised if YXE will now go seasonal. Their summer and fall loads into YXE tend to be pretty good but winter hasn't been as strong.
Planecrzy

Acey
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Bingo1 wrote:
YYC-ATL surprised me a little as I doubted there was enough passengers between the USA Southeast and Alberta to warrant this. Does anyone know what the PDEW between YYC and ATL is?

There probably isn't enough O&D to support this, but that doesn't necessarily matter given that the success of this route is clearly predicated on connecting traffic.

peanuts wrote:
Not to nitpick but a partner airline should know the correct spelling of the name of who it's going to bed with...

Many a time DL has misspelled the capital of our country.

Six and half a dozen.

Cubsrule

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Acey wrote:
Bingo1 wrote:
YYC-ATL surprised me a little as I doubted there was enough passengers between the USA Southeast and Alberta to warrant this. Does anyone know what the PDEW between YYC and ATL is?

There probably isn't enough O&D to support this, but that doesn't necessarily matter given that the success of this route is clearly predicated on connecting traffic.

Maybe. WS seems to do okay on BNA-YYC, which is a similar distance and has zero feed on the Nashville end. These markets don't have much access to Western Canada, so YYC is actually a relatively useful hub, though the distances in the new terminal leave something to be desired.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

SCQ83

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:35 pm

ScottB wrote:
But the non-beach/cruise/sightseeing traffic probably isn't sufficient for any of the Canadian carriers to serve BCN year-round, and AC can connect business/VFR passengers through its JV partner hubs in Europe.

I was pretty sure YYZ was year-round to BCN on Air Canada Rouge. That is why I was surprised to learn there are no winter flights from YYZ to BCN.

For instance, MAD-YYZ on Air Canada (mainline of course) is year-round.

fjmm92

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:40 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

I was pretty sure YYZ was year-round to BCN on Air Canada Rouge. That is why I was surprised to learn there are no winter flights from YYZ to BCN.

There are no flights from 01/09 to 03/31, You can check all W18 BCN's long-haul routes here https://twitter.com/Aeropuerto_BCN/stat ... 6319254529

aviator2000

Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:41 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Flights are stopped during the months of february and march, then resumed in april and stopped again next february. You learn a new thing every day :scratchchin:

YVRda

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:34 pm

I'm sorry but I just don't see how YYC-ATL will work? Who will want to go from ATL -YYC then onto DUB, CDG or LGW? It just doesn't make sense.

Also:
If a passenger were to go from YYC-ATL then onto Europe on Delta that would take away from Westjets new Dreamliner flights..

cumulushumilis

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 pm

YVRda wrote:
I'm sorry but I just don't see how YYC-ATL will work? Who will want to go from ATL -YYC then onto DUB, CDG or LGW? It just doesn't make sense.

Also:
If a passenger were to go from YYC-ATL then onto Europe on Delta that would take away from Westjets new Dreamliner flights..

That's not the intent of this route as the schedule does not support those connections. It is built to support Western Canada on the WS side (YEG, YLW, YYJ, YVR, YMM etc) and the Southeast states on the DL side. It also diverts Western Canada network flow from YYZ which is bursting at the seams and sets it up for BCN and other destinations. In terms of transborder outbound capacity YYC and international inbound capacity, YYC is somewhat underutilized and the inbound network flow from ATL will dovetail nicely with the WS evening departure bank. By taking YYZ out of the equation you avoid a major headache of connecting in T3 and its numerous associated departure delays and costs.

kavok

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:06 pm

RJNUT wrote:
kavok wrote:

The have the codeshare in place already, so the feed is already there. The JV just adds another layer of cooperation that isn't needed to add this route.

No, I get that. The issue is the JV isnt approved yet. Part of the justification for approval of the JV would be that it would create new US-Canada routes, and more choices for consumers. Obviously connecting ATL and YYC (the biggest hubs for each) does that.

However by adding the route now, it makes it appear like the JV wasn’t necessary for this significant route to be added. Whether it is all for show or not, it would seem waiting until after a JV is approved and then saying “with the JV we are able to add YYC-ATL” provides better justification for the request. Again, the JV is not approved, and I think adding this route now actually hurts the cause.

axiom

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:12 pm

YVRda wrote:

Also:

Who said EU connex are driving this? The SE and Florida in particular provide plenty of demand to bolster O&D.

MAH4546

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Nice to see YYT-FLL, especially after WestJet slashed it's FLL network in the past two years.

Crazy how long a flight that is - about as long as FLL-LAS!
a.

klm617

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Bingo1 wrote:
Acey wrote:

YYC-ATL surprised me a little as I doubted there was enough passengers between the USA Southeast and Alberta to warrant this. Does anyone know what the PDEW between YYC and ATL is? Or even between YEG and ATL? If I'm flying out of YEG and going to ATL I'd much rather connect in MSP than YYC as transborder is easier but YYC definitely has their fans.

We saw how Delta dropped YQR and I wouldn't be surprised if YXE will now go seasonal. Their summer and fall loads into YXE tend to be pretty good but winter hasn't been as strong.

Doesn't surprise me at all Delta wants the customer mind set to be that ATL is your only option for connections within their network. So if you are flying Delta or one of their JV carriers you should be programmed to think that going through Atlanta is your only way to get from point A to B even when their might be more convenient better options within their network.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

MIflyer12

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 pm

YVRda wrote:

Also:

Those aren't the goals.

Goal 1: ATL-YYC - everywhere in Western Canada (Delta's coverage from MSP doesn't offer that)

Goal 2: YYC-ATL everywhere in the U.S. Southeast, Caribbean, and Latin America. (WS's coverage from YYC and YYZ doesn't offer that)

ana767

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 am

I'm in BHM, and this ATL-YYC will help out a lot on my two to three annual trips to YYC and YEG. The only current Delta/West Jet options involve connecting in both LGA and YYZ (or occasionally ATL and YYZ) leading to 12+ hour travel times, frequent delays, and clearing immigration in Toronto. Ugh.

Deltran757

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:54 am

klm617 wrote:
Bingo1 wrote:
Acey wrote:

Doesn't surprise me at all Delta wants the customer mind set to be that ATL is your only option for connections within their network. So if you are flying Delta or one of their JV carriers you should be programmed to think that going through Atlanta is your only way to get from point A to B even when their might be more convenient better options within their network.

It doesn’t surpise me at all that Westjet made a business decision to start off flying one route to Atlanta. If you can make a better business case, email Westjet and proudly tell them how thier are more convient options within Delta network.
To see the world... One plane at a time

Dominion301

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:56 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Nice to see YYT-FLL, especially after WestJet slashed it's FLL network in the past two years.

Crazy how YYT “becomes” the 2nd FLL destination for WS in 2018-19.

Why they pulled YHZ/YUL/YOW-FLL is a total head scratcher.

So I guess YYZ-BCN will be on the 763? That accounts for 3/7 pulled YYC-Europe 763 rotations to LGW that will be replaced by the 789. WS could theoretically add another 763 Europe route out of YYZ for summer 2019...they could also add a couple more MAX routes to Europe from Eastern Canada but I’m not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

MAH4546

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:00 am

Dominion301 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

They pulled YWG/YQB-FLL, too!

But they do have YYC-FLL (moved over from MIA).
a.

Beatyair

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:48 am

Delta tried this a few years ago and it did not work, This might. Delta was trying to bring seasonal skiers from Atlanta up, this is bring Calgarians to a warm destination.

Beatyair

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 am

Delta tried this a few years ago and it did not work, This might. Delta was trying to bring seasonal skiers from Atlanta up, this is bring Calgarians to a warm destination.

B748eye

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:05 am

YYCATL will be a tire fire.
Maybe they can grease DL into operating it w/ their A220s with some of the money this route will burn through.

cumulushumilis

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 am

Beatyair wrote:

Yep.. Difference is WS has greater market penetration and point of sale Canada which is worth more than point of sale US. WS has a robust western Canadian network feed.

Bobloblaw

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:32 am

B748eye wrote:
YYCATL will be a tire fire.
Maybe they can grease DL into operating it w/ their A220s with some of the money this route will burn through.

The A220 will be better once they get enough and base some in ATL. But there is no reason why if AC/UA can make YYC-ORD work, then WS/DL can’t make YYC-ATL work. If YYC-BNA works with no beyond BNA connections, ATL should do well too.

Atlwarrior

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:16 am

Bingo1 wrote:
Acey wrote:

You obviously don’t know of the many snowbirds and Canadians they flock to the South in winter. Georgia and Canada also have great business connections.

Atlwarrior

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 am

I guess you people have never heard of Savannah, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston. Canadians love those cities and connecting flights from Atlanta makes perfect sense. I reside in Myrtle Beach and the number of Canadians that come down for the winter is astonishing.

Atlwarrior

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:23 am

klm617 wrote:
Bingo1 wrote:
Acey wrote:

One of the dummiest statement ever on airliners.net, but I then saw who post it. Carry on!

Atlwarrior

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:29 am

kavok wrote:
RJNUT wrote:
kavok wrote:

No, I get that. The issue is the JV isnt approved yet. Part of the justification for approval of the JV would be that it would create new US-Canada routes, and more choices for consumers. Obviously connecting ATL and YYC (the biggest hubs for each) does that.

However by adding the route now, it makes it appear like the JV wasn’t necessary for this significant route to be added. Whether it is all for show or not, it would seem waiting until after a JV is approved and then saying “with the JV we are able to add YYC-ATL” provides better justification for the request. Again, the JV is not approved, and I think adding this route now actually hurts the cause.

How can it hurt the JV when Georgia and Canada has significant trade ties.

http://www.georgia.org/wp-content/uploa ... INAL-1.pdf

jimbo737

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:41 am

Dominion301 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

So I guess YYZ-BCN will be on the 763? That accounts for 3/7 pulled YYC-Europe 763 rotations to LGW that will be replaced by the 789. WS could theoretically add another 763 Europe route out of YYZ for summer 2019...they could also add a couple more MAX routes to Europe from Eastern Canada but I’m not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

They pulled all those FLL flights because even with their lower fully allocated operating costs and loads in the 90% range, the yields were garbage and didn’t contribute anything to the bottom line.

If others want to chase market share and lose money doing so, WS is letting them fill their boots. Their goal is raise fares when WS is gone. When they return to compensatory levels, WS will likely return.

royroy

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:37 am

Hopefully YYZ-MAN can come soon

a350lover

Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:44 am

WestJet definitely enters the low-cost-long-haul battle.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos