LHUSA
Topic Author

UA starts SFO to Papeete today, increases to year-round service

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 pm

UA’s inaugural 3-weekly SFO-PPT flight departed this afternoon with a very healthy load (no doubt some press on board) operated by 787-8. Exciting news that the route will now be year-round - originally announced as seasonal.

When was the last time a US airline served PPT? (If at all)
Last edited by atcsundevil on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edited for clarity

kiowa

Re: UA starts SFO-PPT today, increases to year-round service

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Interesting route. I hope it does well.

janders

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:46 pm

LHUSA wrote:

Hawaiian Air still does :old:
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

LHUSA
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:48 pm

janders wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

Hawaiian Air still does :old:

Lol, yes of course. Totally forgot

mercure1

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:53 pm

Bon chance, but terrible flight times.

The tourism partners here have tried to persuade them to offer a schedule that would avoid mandatory overnight for clients seeking transit to other islands. By the time flight arrives its too late to make island connections. Even the ferry to nearby Moorea is not possible.

For airlines, yes HA continues to serve PPT.
Formerly have had Continental, Pan Am, plus the many charter operations on companies like ATA, Hawaiian Air, World, and even UA 747 from LAX.
mercure f-wtcc

TWA902fly

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:10 pm

Out of curiosity, is United allowed to sell CDG-SFO-PPT? or is that 100% cabotage (with PPT being France), and thus prohibited by France?

The connection works out alright in both directions, although it's a 6 hour layover on the return;

UA984 CDG-SFO 0910-1245
UA115 SFO-PPT 1400-1940

UAL114 PPT-SFO 2240-0945+1
UAL990 SFO-CDG 1540-1015+1

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

Dragonlionting

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:17 pm

I don’t think this route will do well. FrenchBee already has ultra low cost flights on the same route and with a connection to Orly, these flights are mostly full. But United is way more expensive and only picks up on American traffic.

LHUSA
Topic Author

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Dragonlionting wrote:
I don’t think this route will do well. FrenchBee already has ultra low cost flights on the same route and with a connection to Orly, these flights are mostly full. But United is way more expensive and only picks up on American traffic.

Time will tell, but United's announcement today that the flight will go year-round leads me to believe that bookings are strong. United is serving an entirely different market that FrenchBee. A 2pm departure from SFO picks up traffic from the entire continental US.

77H

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Dragonlionting wrote:

Sheesh, it isn't even 3 hrs into the inaugural flight and you're already spelling doom and gloom?
I can't imagine UA would have timed SFO-PPT to connect off of CDG-SFO if they weren't able to take transit passengers. Beyond that, UA can very easily tap into the rather wealthy population base in the Bay Area as well as the rest of their network for feed. I doubt they would make it year around the same day as the inaugural if they didn't like what they were seeing from future bookings.

Best of luck to them, hopefully the FP tourism industry can support all the added lift into PPT the last year or so to ensure visitors have a place to stay once getting off the plane.

77H

Flighty

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:28 pm

Fun fact, HP/US thought about doing PHX-PPT in the 2000s when they launched Hawaii.

adamblang

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Dragonlionting wrote:

On the other hand, United has a network of 200 cities in the US to feed the flight.
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

diatraveler

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:44 pm

With this route going year-round, how will the 787-8 utilization (Europe routes) look next summer?

AEROFAN

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:49 pm

What is PPT?

Antarius

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:52 pm

adamblang wrote:
Dragonlionting wrote:

On the other hand, United has a network of 200 cities in the US to feed the flight.

This. AF also serves Paris-PPT (via LAX), so its not like residents of France have no options.

If UA is more expensive AND moved a season flight to year round, looking like they may have a winner here
19:SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS DOH BLR KTM MFM MEX MSY BWI BNA

a/c dxer

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
What is PPT?

Papeete Tahiti.

tpaewr

Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:58 pm

LHUSA wrote:
UA’s inaugural 3-weekly SFO-PPT flight departed this afternoon with a very healthy load (no doubt some press on board) operated by 787-8. Exciting news that the route will now be year-round - originally announced as seasonal.

It was ironically Continental

(Note the error in the link says Pan Am, but the article was corrected to say CO)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... 19e63e7010

IslandRob

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:23 am

LHUSA wrote:

I'll be giving this flight a try the first week of January. Funny, when I booked the trip last week, I had no idea it was a brand new route for United that hadn't even started. I was able to get 3 seats in Economy Plus using MileagePlus miles. -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

caliboy93

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:29 am

Does Tahiti count as it's own nation, or part of France?

simpv

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:30 am

Congrats to UA--it is a great route, and I hope it is a success!

Though how will this impact AF or TN? It must be driving down yields, since as of earlier this year they had a monopoly.

Cunard

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:58 am

caliboy93 wrote:

Tahiti or ''French Polynesia'' is part of France and not a nation in it's own right.

Without having to explain I suggest that you check out Wikipedia as that will give a more detailed account.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

ua900

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:11 am

spinkid wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
What is PPT?

4 of your answered this!!!

Could have been PowerPoint, right?

simpv wrote:
Congrats to UA--it is a great route, and I hope it is a success!

Though how will this impact AF or TN? It must be driving down yields, since as of earlier this year they had a monopoly.

Not much. TN takes a lot of US leisure traffic, AF takes a lot of connecting traffic to France, UA takes virtually all Americans who have UA MP accounts :rotfl:

For news for French Polynesia, hopefully places like Micronesia can be next when it comes to options.

caliboy93 wrote:

Part of France... Much like BQN or SJU would be considered USA.
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

Polot

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:17 am

TWA902fly wrote:
Out of curiosity, is United allowed to sell CDG-SFO-PPT? or is that 100% cabotage (with PPT being France), and thus prohibited by France?

The connection works out alright in both directions, although it's a 6 hour layover on the return;

UA984 CDG-SFO 0910-1245
UA115 SFO-PPT 1400-1940

UAL114 PPT-SFO 2240-0945+1
UAL990 SFO-CDG 1540-1015+1

'902

A quick look suggests UA is not selling PPT-SFO-CDG. With PPT-CDG flyers they appear to be offering primarily PPT-SFO-FRA/MUC-CDG, with the last leg of course on LH.

Deltabravo1123

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:31 am

I can't speak for everyone, but it seems as though many more people that I know have only heard of Tahiti and the surrounding islands in the more recent years, since ~2010 I would say. Of course, it always was a popular vacation destination, but with social media and advertising being more prevalent than ever before, exotic tropical destinations as such are being considered much more nowadays than previously. Personally I had never heard of Tahiti until I was in late middle/early high school. Now my 7 year old cousin already has it on her vacation destination radar lol

With that being said, I feel like (and hope) this route will perform better than previously expected.

EvanWSFO

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 am

Dragonlionting wrote:

I would be more concerned with the long-term existence of French Bee. I believe UA will do well.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

EvanWSFO

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:57 am

Dragonlionting wrote:

I would be more concerned with the long-term existence of French Bee. I believe UA will do well.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

EvanWSFO

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:01 am

a/c dxer wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
What is PPT?

Papeete Tahiti.

Try this: https://www.world-airport-codes.com/

Aesma

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:14 am

Deltabravo1123 wrote:
I can't speak for everyone, but it seems as though many more people that I know have only heard of Tahiti and the surrounding islands in the more recent years, since ~2010 I would say. Of course, it always was a popular vacation destination, but with social media and advertising being more prevalent than ever before, exotic tropical destinations as such are being considered much more nowadays than previously. Personally I had never heard of Tahiti until I was in late middle/early high school. Now my 7 year old cousin already has it on her vacation destination radar lol

What about Bora Bora ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Ionosphere

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:48 am

Pan Am lost a 707 taking off from Papeete on July 22, 1973. It was PA816 AKL-PPT-LAX-SFO. The plane reached an altitude of 300ft before banking to the left and crashing into the Pacific. The wreckage lays over 2,000ft so the CVR was never recovered. One passenger survived but had no memory of the crash. The crew of 10 and 68 passengers died. A rumor at Pan Am speculated the cockpit windshield failed.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:53 am

tpaewr wrote:
It was ironically Continental

How's that possible, considering that a US carrier (HA) has served it since CO flew there/existed?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Deltabravo1123

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:55 am

Aesma wrote:
Deltabravo1123 wrote:

What about Bora Bora ?

Tahiti and the surrounding islands would include Bora Bora.

BNORD1

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:22 am

Great location for Polynesian history, Gauguin museum (island of Tahiti), very clear waters for diving, great white sand beaches. Main Islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Raitea, Bora Bora and Huahine. Flying Air Tahite DCH6 Twin Otters and Beechcraft King Airs offer fun flying and great sightseeing from the air. Interisland air service is frequent and fun

BNORD1

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:34 am

Fun flight MOZ to PPT via Air Tahiti King Air schedules for 15 minutes, we made it in less than 10

IslandRob

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:41 am

BNORD1 wrote:
Great location for Polynesian history, Gauguin museum (island of Tahiti), very clear waters for diving, great white sand beaches. Main Islands of Tahiti, Moorea, Raitea, Bora Bora and Huahine.

Tahiti is good for culture. In terms of scenery and beaches, Moorea is about as perfect as a tropical island can get. -ir
If you wrote me off, I'd understand it
'Cause I've been on some other planet
So come pick me up, I've landed

jumbojet

Re: UA starts SFO to Papeete today, increases to year-round service

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 am

LHUSA wrote:

Doesnt mean anything, route can get cut just as quick as it was added. UA is famous for that. Besides, this will be a great route for UA to take miles off of its books. I bet this will be a very popular route for folks to burn those unites miles on. So, just to clarify, its still just 3x week or did it also go daily year round?

SFOtoORD

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:39 am

jumbojet wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

Doesnt mean anything, route can get cut just as quick as it was added. UA is famous for that. Besides, this will be a great route for UA to take miles off of its books. I bet this will be a very popular route for folks to burn those unites miles on. So, just to clarify, its still just 3x week or did it also go daily year round?

No airline flies routes to burn miles. Bad theory.

910A

Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:44 pm

mercure1 wrote:

The tourism partners here have tried to persuade them to offer a schedule that would avoid mandatory overnight for clients seeking transit to other islands. By the time flight arrives its too late to make island connections. Even the ferry to nearby Moorea is not possible.

Personally, I think the flight times are great. The times I've taken a PG cruise I always taken the Thursday afternoon TN flight out of LAX, arrive 10pm at PPT go to the hotel, enjoy PPT area on Friday and then hop on the ship on Saturday. Beats arriving at 5am on Saturday morning and waiting around until 3pm to board, or paying a fortune for day room.

superjeff

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:02 pm

caliboy93 wrote:

It is a "French Overseas Territory," so a full part of France.

konkret

Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:06 pm

If (?) United cannot sell a CDG-PPT via SFO as it is considered a French domestic route, if both sectors had LH (or other EU airline) code, it probably could be sold through LH?

caliboy93

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:03 pm

So is FrenchBee's CDG-PPT via SFO the only domestic route in the world with a layover in another country?

konkret

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:32 pm

caliboy93 wrote:
So is FrenchBee's CDG-PPT via SFO the only domestic route in the world with a layover in another country?

Same situation with Air France and Air Tahiti Nui CDG-PPT flights via LAX.

JBLUA320

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:15 pm

mercure1 wrote:

For airlines, yes HA continues to serve PPT.
Formerly have had Continental, Pan Am, plus the many charter operations on companies like ATA, Hawaiian Air, World, and even UA 747 from LAX.

Surely the folks over in the Network department know this. I'd assume that it was more important to time the flight for feed from United's US/Canada operation rather than onward connections on the islands which United wouldn't even sell.

richierich

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:16 pm

Flighty wrote:
Fun fact, HP/US thought about doing PHX-PPT in the 2000s when they launched Hawaii.

Fun fact? Maybe if they actually flew the route or made a public announcement they were going to fly the route, but lots of airlines "think" about flying lots of routes. It hardly fits the criteria of being either fun or fact.
I'm not trying to be argumentative; maybe I just need another coffee. Or some more sleep.
None shall pass!!!!

SFOtoORD

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:00 pm

jumbojet wrote:
LHUSA wrote:

United hasn’t been known as a dartboard airline. If you believe that can you share some examples?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos