Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

NZ6

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - November 2018

Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Gasman wrote:
When you wind it back, there's very little we actually know.

1. We know that NZ have voiced plans to expand further into North & South America. But we haven't been given a timeline, and it actually happening is far from a certainty even if the intent is genuine.

2. NZ would require additional aircraft from what they currently have to execute these plans.

3. There are several contenders from both Boeing and Airbus but they all would come with compromises.

4. We have no idea what (if any) discussions are taking place with the manufacturers, how far along they are, or when to expect an announcement. An announcement tomorrow, next year or in three years would all be consistent with how NZ have played it.

5. Purchase price will have a major impact on the decision made and that's something we won't have a clue on. No one is suggesting the A380 as a contender. But if Airbus suddenly donated six A380s to NZ for free; that would pretty quickly become the perfect aircraft for the network.

I actually like this thinking. Let's keep it simple, not get too creative.

To add to this.

1. NZ has for some time been public their focus and strategy is Pacific Rim, focusing on frequency and direct city pairing over, capacity and hub flying.
2. NZ has confirmed they are talking with both Airbus and Boeing exploring the A350 and 77X aircraft.
3. NZ has little to no extra capacity in its current fleet, remembering SGN/HND have both been axed as a result of the 789 fleet issues.
4. NZ is replacing it's 'aging' 777 fleet, starting with the 772 in 2022-2024. They will be approaching 20 years old.
5. NZ has over the years talked openly about wanting to fly deeper into the USA. IAH and ORD are examples of this.
6. NZ has previously talked about growing North Asia, they've also stated their current focus is PVG but the aircraft plans are for mid next decade, will they still only be focused on PVG then. South America is also an area of 'nurturing' but is far less mature as a market than the likes of the USA and Asia.
7. NZ has a newish 789 fleet where the majority of the aircraft are owned.
8. The 789 does 3 jobs nicely, offers decent range, high premium config (NZ standard) and high economy numbers, what it doesn't offer is all 3. The 772 does but isn't efficient enough in today's climate.

Less factual and more opinion on the market and business.

How 'big' does NZ want to become, while a fleet of around 27-30 wide-body aircraft is nice if this is grown to 40-45 (a massive increase I admit) it greatly exposes NZ's business to any future geopolitical issues that impact air travel. NZ is an end of line carrier made up largely of leisure & VFR based customers. Should air travel demand drop, NZ may be forced to reduce services or exit routes leaving costly assets on the ground and a large workforce with no work. Just something to be conscious of.

Gasman

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 pm

NZ6 wrote:
How 'big' does NZ want to become, while a fleet of around 27-30 wide-body aircraft is nice if this is grown to 40-45 (a massive increase I admit) it greatly exposes NZ's business to any future geopolitical issues that impact air travel. NZ is an end of line carrier made up largely of leisure & VFR based customers. Should air travel demand drop, NZ may be forced to reduce services or exit routes leaving costly assets on the ground and a large workforce with no work. Just something to be conscious of.

Indeed. There's only so much when you can do when your home base is a geographically isolated country not on the main trunk to anywhere and with a population of four million people who aren't exactly known for being carefree when it comes to their hard earned cash. Although I've said many times I wish the NZ international product was something different; it's hard to argue that the company hasn't done the best it can with what it has to work with.

NZ6

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:50 pm

Gasman wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Indeed. There's only so much when you can do when your home base is a geographically isolated country not on the main trunk to anywhere and with a population of four million people who aren't exactly known for being carefree when it comes to their hard earned cash. Although I've said many times I wish the NZ international product was something different; it's hard to argue that the company hasn't done the best it can with what it has to work with.

Just another option re the 78J.

This is completely independent of the 772 work. NZ acquires via lease X number of 78J and leases out X number of owned 789's. Likely Code 1 as they are used on Asian routes this keeping the 787 family size either equal or very similar to the current fleet but increases ASK into key markets.

There are so many ways to skin this one....

tealnz

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:20 am

A couple of questions coming out of the 78J and 77E replacement discussions:
- It's been generally assumed that if NZ go for the A350 to replace the 77E they would select the A359: it would have all the range they need for eg ORD or NYC with full pax plus have the payload/range to do cargo from LAX. But there was an interesting reference during the investor day presentation to the A35K being well suited to ORD - meaning it would presumably also be a good fit for NYC. It has the range, and it would have additional premium capacity over the A359. Bearing in mind that the Code 2 789s are now showing they can be used for some North American routes (though maybe not with cargo westbound with full pax) is this a hint that NZ might upgauge to A35K (or 778) when they replace the the 77Es? Between the 789 and the 35K they would have the ability to fine-tune capacity to individual routes and loads.
- Has anyone picked up any hint of where NZ might be heading on next generation business seat? If they're looking at a 78J purchase, with additional premium capacity on Asian routes, you'd think they'd try to use that to introduce a new seat. The 1-1-1 herringbone in the 789 is an awkward configuration, not least when compared with latest QF fit-out. Any indication they might be planning to dump the herringbone?

NZ6

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:48 am

tealnz wrote:
- It's been generally assumed that if NZ go for the A350 to replace the 77E they would select the A359: it would have all the range they need for eg ORD or NYC with full pax plus have the payload/range to do cargo from LAX. But there was an interesting reference during the investor day presentation to the A35K being well suited to ORD - meaning it would presumably also be a good fit for NYC. It has the range, and it would have additional premium capacity over the A359. Bearing in mind that the Code 2 789s are now showing they can be used for some North American routes (though maybe not with cargo westbound with full pax) is this a hint that NZ might upgauge to A35K (or 778) when they replace the the 77Es? Between the 789 and the 35K they would have the ability to fine-tune capacity to individual routes and loads.

This is actually a really valid point and one I was meaning to raise yesterday. If NZ goes A35K for the 772, will we likely see more to replace the 77W? So NZ having a fleet like

14x 789
15x 35K

Gasman

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:38 am

tealnz wrote:
The 1-1-1 herringbone in the 789 is an awkward configuration, not least when compared with latest QF fit-out. Any indication they might be planning to dump the herringbone?

Simple common sense says they will dump the herringbone. The passage of time and the aquisition of new aircraft have rendered it obsolete.

This was a product designed for the 744. When I first saw the promotional material way back when, I was stunned. It seemed too good to be true, and clearly broke new ground. Testing the product in reality didn't quite live up to expectations, but not by much. It worked in the 744 not least because two of the three J cabins were single aisle - the nose cabin (glorious) and the upper deck (sublime). Sure, it was 1-2-1 in the main downstairs cabin but if you got in early you could easily avoid this.

It was then shoehorned into the 777, the main cabin as we all know being narrower than the 744. So it was immediately worse than the worst option on the 744. Slightly smaller, slightly lower partitions and suddenly the feeling of being on public transport. The next iteration on the 789 was even smaller again. Not to mention the lack of storage space, lack of recline in seat mode, and inability to easily see out of the window. I can't think of a long haul J product currently operating into New Zealand which isn't significantly better.

They'd have to be literally insane to persist with it and they're not insane so - it's gone.

ZK-NBT

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:15 am

NZ6 wrote:
tealnz wrote:

This is actually a really valid point and one I was meaning to raise yesterday. If NZ goes A35K for the 772, will we likely see more to replace the 77W? So NZ having a fleet like

14x 789
15x 35K

With 2 configurations on the A350? If we assume the 35K has a similar number of premium seats as the 77W so a 320-330 seater, if we drop the number of premium seats on the 35K to that of the 772 give or take we would end up with a lot of extra Y seats mainly for the aircraft flying into Asia I’d imagine. They might end up with something like 32J 40W 300Y so 372 seats which is a lot of seats to fill into Asia on 1 flight particularly given they would like 2 daily into SIN/HKG/TYO/PVG, with I’d have thought a lower capacity aircraft, maybe they want a few more seats than the code 2 789’s but not 100 more, I’d imagine a potential 78J to have extra Y seating with the same number of premium as the code 2 789 so 320-330 all up 5-6 extra rows of Y.

ZK-NBT

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:37 am

On second thoughts they could have 15 35K’s with 1 confidence I guess, similar to the 77W seatcount give or take and use them to LAX/LHR/SFO/GRU/ORD/NYC/IAH, leaving 789’s to cover Asia.

Zkpilot

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:15 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
On second thoughts they could have 15 35K’s with 1 confidence I guess, similar to the 77W seatcount give or take and use them to LAX/LHR/SFO/GRU/ORD/NYC/IAH, leaving 789’s to cover Asia.

+ YVR.
For the A350 the big question is cost... does the A35K cost a whole lot more to purchase than an A359? If it does then you’d likely see both. If it doesn’t then NZ would likely just go for the A35K considering it has greater range, better CASM and of course greater capacity. It is unlikely that NZ needs the A359ULR (unless they wanted to go for direct AKL-LHR which is very unlikely).
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

NZ321

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:31 am

NZ6 wrote:
tealnz wrote:

14x 789
15x 35K

I like this line of thinking but suggest it would be more likely to be along the lines of:

14x 789
5-6x 78J
9-10x 35K

or maybe

12x789 (and let two go or lease out)
8x 359
9x 35K
Plane mad!

NZ321

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:33 am

ZK-NBT wrote:

I think 35K is a hell of a lot of metal to throw at GRU and NYC in the start up phase of a new route. A split 359-35K order would be better IMHO.
Plane mad!

NZ321

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 am

On a separate note it's nice to see Sichuan Airlines bringing the A350 to Auckland from December 3x per week replacing A330.
Plane mad!

LamboAston

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:58 pm

NZ321 wrote:
On a separate note it's nice to see Sichuan Airlines bringing the A350 to Auckland from December 3x per week replacing A330.

22nd December, 11 days after I'm there annoyingly
AS350, B733/4/7/8, B744/8, B762/3, B77E/L/W, B789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A346, A380, AT73/5/6, Q300, Q400, CR2/7, E190, S340, B1900C/D, E110 (E for epic)
NZ, EK, QF, SQ, UA, US, CO, FZ, FR, U2, BA, VA, VS, MH, EI, EY, LH, EN, NM, TG, GZ

NZ6

Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:30 am

Zkpilot wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

+ YVR.
For the A350 the big question is cost... does the A35K cost a whole lot more to purchase than an A359? If it does then you’d likely see both. If it doesn’t then NZ would likely just go for the A35K considering it has greater range, better CASM and of course greater capacity. It is unlikely that NZ needs the A359ULR (unless they wanted to go for direct AKL-LHR which is very unlikely).

15,000km is enough range for NZ. The 359, 35K, 778 all offer this range. The 779 and 787 family don't.

Obviously, this is just an approximate range, winds, payload, config etc will all vary greatly. NZ won't have the demand or need for AKL-LHR direct therefore on a quick think, NYC is the furthest 'city of interest' from AKL.

NZ321 wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
--

I like this line of thinking but suggest it would be more likely to be along the lines of:

14x 789
5-6x 78J
9-10x 35K

or maybe

12x789 (and let two go or lease out)
8x 359
9x 35K

It's really hard, There are a number of new opportunities in the next decade which are beyond the limits of the 787 (unless load restrictions, aircraft improvements etc allow more range). The 35K is a big plane for new routes but it's been done before with the 772 so not undoable.

NZ321 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

I think 35K is a hell of a lot of metal to throw at GRU and NYC in the start up phase of a new route. A split 359-35K order would be better IMHO.

This was my initial concern. Look at the CX 35K, nearly 50 business class seats plus 30 premium economy. NZ could do a config smiliar to their 77W but it's still going to see an overall increase in pax numbers and much bigger than the 772 it's actually replacing.

Gasman

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:11 am

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12167145

If Shane Jones finds something imbecilic, it really is time the airline sat up and took notice.

NZ6

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:46 am

Gasman wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12167145

If Shane Jones finds something imbecilic, it really is time the airline sat up and took notice.

Weird, he likes the 'Rachel Hunter' and 'All Blacks' one but, with the one he dislikes, it all of a sudden it trivialises safety. Shane, this concept either does or doesn't and if it does you should really have an issue with them all.

Or is this about personal taste. Because if it is, why does anyone care? I mean, do we need to know what cereal you like and dislike as well??

Truthfully it's politics and he's trying to take beef at NZ again and this old news is all he can come up with in my opinion.

If this safety video was made into traditional visual media and available globally, the production costs would have been the same but the airtime would have been out of NZ's reach, however 20 million views on one media source make it rather successful in my opinion. Also, Shane, remember there's a heck of a lot of people in the world and we all have different tastes. While you've liked a couple, others probably didn't like the ones you did.

Why is this news... oh that's right. It's the Herald.

Gasman

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:08 am

NZ6 wrote:
Gasman wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12167145

Weird, he likes the 'Rachel Hunter' and 'All Blacks' one but, with the one he dislikes, it all of a sudden it trivialises safety. Shane, this concept either does or doesn't and if it does you should really have an issue with them all.

Or is this about personal taste. Because if it is, why does anyone care? I mean, do we need to know what cereal you like and dislike as well??

Truthfully it's politics and he's trying to take beef at NZ again and this old news is all he can come up with in my opinion.

If this safety video was made into traditional visual media and available globally, the production costs would have been the same but the airtime would have been out of NZ's reach, however 20 million views on one media source make it rather successful in my opinion. Also, Shane, remember there's a heck of a lot of people in the world and we all have different tastes. While you've liked a couple, others probably didn't like the ones you did.

Why is this news... oh that's right. It's the Herald.

You're right; if you globally accept that the quirky safety videos are a good idea, once you start picking and choosing it's a matter of personal taste. Personally I think they're all cringeworthy - except the very first "bare essentials" one which was clever - but that should have been a one off.

NZ6

Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:36 am

Gasman wrote:

You're right; if you globally accept that the quirky safety videos are a good idea, once you start picking and choosing it's a matter of personal taste. Personally I think they're all cringeworthy - except the very first "bare essentials" one which was clever - but that should have been a one off.

Personally, I'm tired of them, it's been 6 or 7 years, hasn't it. However, I can't imagine NZ having something clinical like this at the moment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF2e2r4unXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2wT8SoGyKc

Although a feature destination NZ video which isn't a questionable attempt at also being funny would suit nicely, but again that's personal taste.

Gasman

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:21 am

NZ6 wrote:

OMG!!! I don't know which to yearn for more - the video with soothing tones, or the 767 cabin depicted.

Megatop747-412

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm

I've noted that yesterday's (27 Nov) NZ283 SIN-AKL flight (STD AKL supposed to be 09:30 today (28th Nov) was diverted to BNE according to FR24. Flight now have a revised ETA into AKL now at 11:25, according to Auckland Airport's website. Flight was operated by NZD. Anyone knows what was the reason for the diversion? Some kind of medical emergency...?

Megatop747-412

Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Gasman wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

OMG!!! I don't know which to yearn for more - the video with soothing tones, or the 767 cabin depicted.

Ooohhh I so missed those safety videos - totally nostalgic. And I totally agree with your sentiments Gasman - I, too, don't know which to yearn for more! :)

Gasman

Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 pm

https://spy.nzherald.co.nz/spy-news/i-h ... fety-clip/

You get the impression the tide is turning. Finally!

NTLDaz

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:35 pm

Gasman wrote:
https://spy.nzherald.co.nz/spy-news/i-hate-it-breakfast-hosts-slam-air-nz-safety-clip/

Not one for watching safety videos unless I'm on a plane but just had a look at this one. I think it is terrible- the actual safety message ( in my eyes ) gets a bit lost.

I've got to say I don't see anything wrong with the FA's standing in the aisle delivering the instructions.

NZ6

Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 pm

Megatop747-412 wrote:
I've noted that yesterday's (27 Nov) NZ283 SIN-AKL flight (STD AKL supposed to be 09:30 today (28th Nov) was diverted to BNE according to FR24. Flight now have a revised ETA into AKL now at 11:25, according to Auckland Airport's website. Flight was operated by NZD. Anyone knows what was the reason for the diversion? Some kind of medical emergency...?

Yes, a passenger with a medical event was offloaded in BNE.

NZ6

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:07 am

Gasman wrote:
https://spy.nzherald.co.nz/spy-news/i-hate-it-breakfast-hosts-slam-air-nz-safety-clip/

I feel somewhat dirty for clicking on the NZ Heralds Spy website and have grave concerns for what you were doing on there Gasman but.....

This may be a good push for NZ to move away from the ultra-creative quirky safety videos but yet still produce something fresh which achieves the desired result.

I mean this was very popular at the time, I wonder like anything.. good things come to an end and people move on...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iaTEgoezNQ

Gasman

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:35 am

NZ6 wrote:
I feel somewhat dirty for clicking on the NZ Heralds Spy website and have grave concerns for what you were doing on there Gasman but.....

The NZ Herald's "Spy" website was created in response to the fact that many homes and workplaces with standards relating to tone, ethics and intelligent journalism have firewalled the main NZ Herald website. The idea being, that the "Spy" website is where they would put their *actual* quality news; a sort of underground portal into the cutting edge, if you will.

It gets very few hits, and is refreshed two times a year.

nomorerjs

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 am

First departure to ORD fast approaching. Any idea on loads? Of course, this has nothing to do with yields.

Gasman

Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:35 am

nomorerjs wrote:
First departure to ORD fast approaching. Any idea on loads? Of course, this has nothing to do with yields.

Well it has something to do with yields.....

PA515

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Air NZ A321-271NX ZK-NNC (msn 8573) has had it's first flight as D-AVXM.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-avxm

PA515

JoeCanuck

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:37 pm

I might be flying to NZ in the next month or so. Are there A380 flights from N.America to Auckland?
What the...?

ZK-NBT

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:59 pm

JoeCanuck wrote:
I might be flying to NZ in the next month or so. Are there A380 flights from N.America to Auckland?

No, QF via Australia LAX-SYD/MEL, DFW-SYD are A380’s then an A330/738 to AKL if you want to go that way:

JoeCanuck

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:22 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
JoeCanuck wrote:

No, QF via Australia LAX-SYD/MEL, DFW-SYD are A380’s then an A330/738 to AKL if you want to go that way:

I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
What the...?

downdata

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:15 am

EK has A380 from DXB to AKL as well.

ZK-NBT

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:34 am

downdata wrote:

That’s the long way around from North America. SQ have a seasonal A380 to AKL aswell.

Gemuser

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:09 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
downdata wrote:

That’s the long way around from North America. SQ have a seasonal A380 to AKL aswell.

It is the long way around, but depending on exactly where in North America JoeCanuck is it may not be that much longer and EK can be competitive with fares from SYD to LAX so if he is in the east it may just suite him to be able to log an A380.

Gemuser

Megatop747-412

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:45 am

NZ6 wrote:
Megatop747-412 wrote:

Yes, a passenger with a medical event was offloaded in BNE.

Thanks @NZ6. Hope the pax is OK.

NZ6

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 pm

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/air-new-zeal ... d=12167726

Nothing terribly new or exiting on this.. a couple of quotes which you may or may not want to read into

- "We want to go deeper into the US"
- "Going into this ULR mode"

Should give a few readers some food for thought into what's high on the wishlist for new routes..

Although a typo, I'll pick on this alleged reporter... how exactly do you get 90 minutes in an hour? "Heading back to Auckland will take about 16 hours, 90 minutes"

ORD is looking really nice. We're starting to see ORD then IAH become the premium American gateways and LAX/SFO become the entry-level gateways... I wonder how this shift will influence aircraft orders.

I think I've also gone about this over the years...

"Tourism New Zealand says the new non-stop service linking Auckland and Chicago could help persuade more of the 34 million Americans who are considering coming here to actually make the trip."

zkeoj

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:41 pm

NZ6 wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/air-new-zealand/news/article.cfm?o_id=5&objectid=12167726

Nothing terribly new or exiting on this.. a couple of quotes which you may or may not want to read into

Should give a few readers some food for thought into what's high on the wishlist for new routes..

Although a typo, I'll pick on this alleged reporter... how exactly do you get 90 minutes in an hour? "Heading back to Auckland will take about 16 hours, 90 minutes"
[/i]

Actually, it is not a typo. I first had the same thought, but if you read carefully, you need to add "...more than the airline's current longest flight, the return trip from Houston"....

;-)

NZ6

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 pm

zkeoj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/air-new-zealand/news/article.cfm?o_id=5&objectid=12167726

[/i]

Actually, it is not a typo. I first had the same thought, but if you read carefully, you need to add "...more than the airline's current longest flight, the return trip from Houston"....

;-)

I stand corrected. Thank you.

jcwr56

Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:59 pm

NZ6 wrote:

ORD is looking really nice. We're starting to see ORD then IAH become the premium American gateways and LAX/SFO become the entry-level gateways... I wonder how this shift will influence aircraft orders.

"Tourism New Zealand says the new non-stop service linking Auckland and Chicago could help persuade more of the 34 million Americans who are considering coming here to actually make the trip."

Great article and this is coming from one who has worked with NZ over the last 8 months on some of the finer operational details. Looking forward to the arrival tomorrow and shaking the hands of some I've dealt with via email and phone calls.

NZ6

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:18 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Great article and this is coming from one who has worked with NZ over the last 8 months on some of the finer operational details. Looking forward to the arrival tomorrow and shaking the hands of some I've dealt with via email and phone calls.

Each to their own, there's really nothing groundbreaking in it.

NAN Gas and go has happened since NZ first flew directly to the USA. There's been at least one gas and go already this year that I can think of.
4 Pilots & pilots on the ground aren't anything new for infrequent long-haul flights to remote stations.
Flight modelling off weather data is common practice.
Watching weight and justifying it has been around since the early 2000's
We all know ORD is a UA hub
We all know NZ uses Australia as a catchment

I think any of us could have written this article based on common knowledge.

Where's the industry analysis on how the route may perform, what's the level of demand and type of yield is there, how will the aircraft perform financially and technical on this route, analysis on if this is the best equipment with the right configuration? How do this effect QF if at all? does this impact LAX/SFO/IAH does success influence NYC... what does this mean for DL and AA? Why ORD over other ports.. there is so much which a real aviation journalist could cover.... this really is only a 101 of a new route.

jcwr56

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:47 pm

NZ6 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

NAN Gas and go has happened since NZ first flew directly to the USA. There's been at least one gas and go already this year that I can think of.
4 Pilots & pilots on the ground aren't anything new for infrequent long-haul flights to remote stations.

Where's the industry analysis on how the route may perform, what's the level of demand and type of yield is there, how will the aircraft perform financially and technical on this route, analysis on if this is the best equipment with the right configuration? How do this effect QF if at all? does this impact LAX/SFO/IAH does success influence NYC... what does this mean for DL and AA? Why ORD over other ports.. there is so much which a real aviation journalist could cover.... this really is only a 101 of a new route.

Won't disagree with what you wrote, but the average person outside of A.net could care less about the items you mentioned. The average traveler will look and see, what's the cheapest way to get from point A-B. That's what the writer was gunning for, not us aviation enthusiast.

NZ6

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 am

jcwr56 wrote:
NZ6 wrote:
jcwr56 wrote:

Won't disagree with what you wrote, but the average person outside of A.net could care less about the items you mentioned. The average traveler will look and see, what's the cheapest way to get from point A-B. That's what the writer was gunning for, not us aviation enthusiast.

I just question this because he calls himself an 'Aviation Writer' amongst other 'specialties'...

If he's just covering the inaugural flight, a quick few paragraphs along with a few 'fun facts' would suffice.

The fact he's gone to the extent of writing as much as he has and includes a video of NZ's Executive and Chief Pilot suggests to me he's trying to provide more of a comprehensive coverage, now if I compare this to say the ATW magazine I read... there's a very different level of industry knowledge in what's written.

Enough hating from me, can't wait to see this bird get airborne this afternoon.

NZ6

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:09 am

jcwr56 wrote:

I'll also challenge this and suggest that the wider tourism sector would have some type of interest in the route, growth performance, outlook etc etc

Imagine, you run a lodge in the Queenstown Lakes area... or operate an inbound tourism business of some sort...

Also, how about those in the Business/Commerical sector who's Business has strong links to either ORD or the East Coast.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:05 pm

Please continue discussion in December thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1409631
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos