Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

maps4ltd
Topic Author

AA cuts CLT-TUS and ERI-PHL, announces ERI-ORD and ERI-CLT, "still evaluating" CLT-SJC

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pm

Hello. This is my first time posting a thread, so corrections and suggestions would be helpful.

Erie News Now reports that American is starting flights from ERI to Chicago and Charlotte on May, with 2x daily CLT and 1x ORD. It also plans to discontinue its flights from ERI-PHL; according to the article, the airport manager worked with AA "to make the changes because there were too many weather delays, and Erie travelers found the service unreliable." I'm not sure that's the whole story, but it's all I could find so far. The link is here:

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/39391563/american-airlines-to-offer-service-from-erie-to-charlotte-and-chicago-discontinue-flights-to-philadelphia

In other AA route news, the carrier says it plans to cancel its Charlotte-Tucson route on February 14, about a year after it commenced. Spokeswoman Cyril Byrd said that the route was "underperforming." In addition, she said American was "still evaluating" their CLT-SJC flight, which started in 2016 and runs on a seasonal basis. I don't know what to make of that. Anyway, the link to the article is below:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/aa-nixing-new-flight-at-charlotte-douglas-evaluating-another/863229129

I may have missed other route news, but I'd like to hear your opinions on these changes. Thanks!
Delta Gold Medallion

FA9295

Re: AA cuts CLT-TUS and ERI-PHL, announces ERI-ORD and ERI-CLT, "still evaluating" CLT-SJC

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:56 pm

Welcome!

Interesting to hear about their CLT-SJC route. CLT-SMF is also seasonal as well, so maybe that'll get evaluated as well...

Sad to see CLT-TUS go, but I guess it makes sense. I guess that people from Tucson can connect to most destinations that CLT offers from DFW instead...

flyboy7974

Re: AA cuts CLT-TUS and ERI-PHL, announces ERI-ORD and ERI-CLT, "still evaluating" CLT-SJC

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:01 pm

Announced in PHL today was new PHL-AVL/CHA starting in May with the loss of ERI

PennPal

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:04 pm

Great news for ERI, my home town airport! Was surprised to see that AA will serve ORD, since UA already flies that route. I understand Chicago is an AA hub, but two airlines serving the same small city with similar routes is a bit strange.

SgtBarone

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:06 pm

Great news for ERI.
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAS LAX LGB MAD MCI MCO MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA

deltaffindfw

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:09 pm

Could this also be a casualty of the Dash-8s leaving? Maybe it's not profitable to fly 2-3x PHL-ERI with the ERJ?

FSDan

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Too bad to see TUS-CLT go. I flew it for the first (and likely last) time last week on a trip to Savannah. Seemed mostly full both ways, but the yields must be struggling... This flight is the only redeye from TUS, which opened up a number of unique itineraries including lots of connections to/from the Caribbean. TUS still has 2x daily service to ATL on DL that covers Florida and Southeast connections, but both flights are daytime and consume most of the day travelling east.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:15 pm

deltaffindfw wrote:
Could this also be a casualty of the Dash-8s leaving? Maybe it's not profitable to fly 2-3x PHL-ERI with the ERJ?

There are many shorter routes that the DHC8 was flying that are now on 145's that haven't been dropped, so unlikely. Probably they see more connecting traffic to the SE than they do to the NE.
From my cold, dead hands

LotsaRunway

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:19 pm

ERI-CLT is much better for Florida travelers, which I think is the number one market out of Erie. But this opens up a cavernous void into the ERI-NYC/BOS/PHL markets. I guess DL will be the best connecting location for those cities through DTW. The PHL flights are operated by Piedmont, which really does offer fine flights when they operate on time, but they are the first to be delayed or cancelled when things go bad at PHL.

As for TUS-CLT, I don't know why long flights out of TUS don't seem to work. I know JFK, PIT, and IAD have all been tried and I think PHL was too. Airlines keep trying them and then pulling out. There must be something in the data that keeps them trying. I think the longest flights that seem to work are to ATL.

TUSDawg23

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:20 pm

This was in Enrilia's OAG thread a few weeks ago about TUS-CLT being cut. It is unfortunate, but I don't think the redeye was a real popular option for travelers out of TUS. There are also many people traveling from the east coast who just prefer to fly into PHX and take the shuttle down to Tucson because there are just better flight options that are cheaper.

LotsaRunway

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:22 pm

Anyone know who will operate the new ERI flights and what type of aircraft?

cledaybuck

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:27 pm

Does ERI see much leakage to CLE, PIT, or BUF?
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

codc10

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Does ERI see much leakage to CLE, PIT, or BUF?

Yes, yes and yes.

ERI traffic has been on a steady decline.
Last edited by codc10 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azstar

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:30 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Welcome!

Interesting to hear about their CLT-SJC route. CLT-SMF is also seasonal as well, so maybe that'll get evaluated as well...

Sad to see CLT-TUS go, but I guess it makes sense. I guess that people from Tucson can connect to most destinations that CLT offers from DFW instead...

For most of its short life, the Charlotte to Tucson flight left at 7:30 in the morning. It was impossible to make connections from anywhere. O/D traffic is probably non-existent, so it was doomed to fail from the start.

dolphinflyer

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:53 pm

FA9295 wrote:
Welcome!

Not true! SMF-CLT was upgraded from seasonal to daily, year-round a couple of years ago and operates with an A321. It performs very well for AA.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:55 pm

I love the little ERI airport terminal. Although, their passenger hold room is like a dungeon and has virtually no windows.

ScottB

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:59 pm

codc10 wrote:
ERI traffic has been on a steady decline.

Seriously! If memory serves ERI-PIT was served 6x daily on mainline (F100/DC-9) back in the days of the US hub at PIT. With LCC/ULCC service at PIT, BUF, and CLE, a lot of folks just drive to an airport with lower fares.

LotsaRunway wrote:
As for TUS-CLT, I don't know why long flights out of TUS don't seem to work.

The markets to the east coast are relatively thin and seasonal, and the flights to east coast hubs all overfly hubs closer to TUS. ATL-TUS works due to the massive scale of the ATL hub and the relative lack of other DL hubs near TUS apart from SLC. UA and AA both have hubs in Texas as well as at DEN & PHX respectively, so they can flow traffic over those hubs with greater frequency rather than trying to rely on single frequencies to hubs back east.

LotsaRunway wrote:
But this opens up a cavernous void into the ERI-NYC/BOS/PHL markets. I guess DL will be the best connecting location for those cities through DTW.

Almost no one flies those city pairs anymore. ERI-NYC is 10 PDEW, ERI-PHL is 9, and ERI-BOS is 5. Undoubtedly, almost everyone dries to PIT/CLE/BUF for non-stops since that's going to be as fast or faster than connecting at PHL, not to mention cheaper. DL was already the leading carrier for ERI-NYC, too.

csweet

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Flew the CLT-TUS route twice this year and the plane was jam packed. Sad to see this come to an end.

azstar

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:20 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:

The markets to the east coast are relatively thin and seasonal, and the flights to east coast hubs all overfly hubs closer to TUS. ATL-TUS works due to the massive scale of the ATL hub and the relative lack of other DL hubs near TUS apart from SLC. UA and AA both have hubs in Texas as well as at DEN & PHX respectively, so they can flow traffic over those hubs with greater frequency rather than trying to rely on single frequencies to hubs back east.

Load factor is rarely the issue on TUS-East Coast flights. Airlines depend on a year round supply of business travelers paying high fares. That market simply doesn't exist in Tucson. Traffic is overwhelmingly low yield, so the flights are not sustainable by airline standards.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:27 pm

flyboy7974 wrote:

Well, that would be big news here and long overdue. Was this publicly announced yet?

RJNUT

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:33 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
flyboy7974 wrote:

Well, that would be big news here and long overdue. Was this publicly announced yet?

So in other words AVL and CHA now get to experinece the delays at PHL. But at least the they have more reroute options on AA via CLT!

LotsaRunway

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:35 pm

azstar wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

Load factor is rarely the issue on TUS-East Coast flights. Airlines depend on a year round supply of business travelers paying high fares. That market simply doesn't exist in Tucson. Traffic is overwhelmingly low yield, so the flights are not sustainable by airline standards.

I agree with everything you are saying, but my point is that airlines keep trying so there must be something in the data that suggests it should work better than it actually does. Maybe the answer is simply that flyers are too used to either driving to PHX or connecting at DFW, ORD, PHX, and ATL to try CLT, JFK, or IAD.

UpNAWAy

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:36 pm

All announced internally today, some of if not most of these had been previously made public.

ORD to SCE, ABE, ERI, LAX to SDF, CLT to ERI, TVC, PHL to AVL, CHA and DCA to HHH. In addition to DFW to NAS has been upgraded to a 2x daily.

JetBlueCLT

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:44 pm

Hmmm, seems like AA is on the fence on switching CLT-SJC to year round.
Pittsburgh Penguins, Steelers, Pirates and Charlotte Hornets Fan

SANFan

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:46 pm

I recall a year or so ago that the TUS-JFK nonstop was ended (as mentioned up-thread) and there was some discussion about that one too.

azstar wrote:

I've got to agree completely. There are certainly VFR and other leisure traffic to and from TUS plus some military but the corporate travelers are too few and far between.

I still get so depressed whenever I visit TUS -- a beautiful, nice-sized airport but practically another Arizona ghost town most of the time...

bb

FA9295

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:51 pm

dolphinflyer wrote:
FA9295 wrote:
Welcome!

Not true! SMF-CLT was upgraded from seasonal to daily, year-round a couple of years ago and operates with an A321. It performs very well for AA.

Interesting, I did not know that... :)

LotsaRunway

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:01 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
All announced internally today, some of if not most of these had been previously made public.

ORD to SCE, ABE, ERI, LAX to SDF, CLT to ERI, TVC, PHL to AVL, CHA and DCA to HHH. In addition to DFW to NAS has been upgraded to a 2x daily.

CHA-HHH?

ncflyer

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:02 pm

I would have thought that Erie would have strong same state ties to Philly, and would therefore have some decent O&D traffic to supplement the connectors. It's a long drive. . . .

But guess not strong enough.

FA9295

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:06 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

CHA-HHH?

No. It's DCA-HHH. They just wrote out the list in a weird way...
From what I can tell, it's:

ORD to SCE, ABE, ERI

LAX to SDF

CLT to ERI, TVC

PHL to AVL, CHA

DCA to CHA, HHH

plinth857

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:06 pm

PennPal wrote:
Great news for ERI, my home town airport! Was surprised to see that AA will serve ORD, since UA already flies that route. I understand Chicago is an AA hub, but two airlines serving the same small city with similar routes is a bit strange.

I'd say that they want to connect ERI to more of their network with one stop. Some locations required 3 flights to get to where you wanted to go, and this may fix that! I'm happy to hear this in any regard, as I have taken the ERI-PHL flight plenty of times and this will increase my options out of ERI.

MO11

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:09 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

CHA-HHH?

Pretty sure he meant PHL to AVL and CHA, plus DCA to HHH. Semicolons would have worked better here.

Wasn't ERI-ORD a 727-100 in the 70s?

chrisnh

Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:30 pm

I wish AA would consider picking up the dormant MHT-ORD route since UA abandoned it recently. The market is there...always has been. I realize the idea is to push as much traffic down to Logan, only 50 miles to the south. But BOS is getting squeezed, and the conga lines there to reach the runway are getting longer each month.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:12 pm

Interesting that another small PA airport like ERI, SCE is now going to have AA service to ORD alongside UA.

USAirALB

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:27 pm

Most of these have already been announced.

I'm confused as to what AA means when they state they are "on the fence" about CLT-SJC. The route started in 2016 with a A319, then was upgraded to a 738 last year, and now operates with an A321. The route's season for this year was significantly longer. I think it previously only ran in the Summer months, but it is running until 4 November this year.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744ER, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

LotsaRunway

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:47 pm

MO11 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

CHA-HHH?

Pretty sure he meant PHL to AVL and CHA, plus DCA to HHH. Semicolons would have worked better here.

Wasn't ERI-ORD a 727-100 in the 70s?

I used to follow ERI quite carefully years ago. I even flew PIT-ERI on a 727-100 once. ERI-ORD was always done with the DC9-30. ERI has also seen BAC-111s, F-100s, DC9-10s, DC9-30s, DC9-50s, MD-80s, 737-300s, 737-400s, 727-100s and even the 727-200s over the years. Most flights went to PIT and PHL, but they have also done mainline jets to ORD, YYZ, ELM, ITH, BGM, MDT, DTW, BFD. The most I ever remember being scheduled during a day was 17 mainline flights (11 x DC9-30 and 6 x BAC-111). Interesting that I don't think there was ever much O&D on any of the nonstops. ELM, ITH, BGM, BFD and MDT were all tail-ends to the ORD flights. ORD did a lot of interline connections. Same airline connections offered at PIT, PHL and DTW. YYZ was either done as the stop from PIT or PHL because neither of them could fly to YYZ nonstop under CAB authorization. Once that obstacle got removed, the stop in ERI was dropped.

LotsaRunway

Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 pm

chrisnh wrote:
I wish AA would consider picking up the dormant MHT-ORD route since UA abandoned it recently. The market is there...always has been. I realize the idea is to push as much traffic down to Logan, only 50 miles to the south. But BOS is getting squeezed, and the conga lines there to reach the runway are getting longer each month.

I'm surprised by this as well. Maybe as aircraft free up from realignment and up-gauging elsewhere.

UpNAWAy

Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:02 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

CHA-HHH?

Sorry Missed a DCA in there....

bhxdtw

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Someone asked earlier if its odd that both UA and AA fly to ORD from Erie, both airlines also fly to FNT , Michigan from ORD which I find weird also due to that city being economically depressed and only 1.5hrs at most from DTW.
I live near FNT and they both have a handful of flights each day. I'm sure there are other smallish cities who have both UA/AA competing.

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:28 pm

chrisnh wrote:

Southwest's 3x non-stops MHT-MDW tomorrow serve the Chicago market just fine.

alasizon

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:36 pm

Another piece with CLT-TUS was that a lot of the one stop itineraries were still better priced via PHX & DFW and for some odd reason, TUS folks really seem to love the short flight to PHX then onward.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

AirFiero

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:53 am

JetBlueCLT wrote:
Hmmm, seems like AA is on the fence on switching CLT-SJC to year round.

I would sure like to know what the AA Rep meant. I just got back from Spartanburg in my 210, fun and challenging, but not always practical. There’s a chance my business might be building bigger than I thought in SC, so that non stop flight SJC-CLT. would be a timesaver.

AirlineBrat

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:03 am

LotsaRunway wrote:
MO11 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
CHA-HHH?

Most flights went to PIT and PHL, but they have also done mainline jets to ORD, YYZ, ELM, ITH, BGM, MDT, DTW, BFD.

BUF as well. I have flown BUF-ERI on Mohawk and Allegheny on BAC 1-11’s, DC-9’s and Convair 580’s. I was really young but somehow I still remember the Convair’s. We used to fly EWR/LGA-PIT/BUF-ERI to visit my grandparents.
I'm leavin on a jet plane. Don't know when I'll be back again....

Vctony

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:53 am

SANFan wrote:
I recall a year or so ago that the TUS-JFK nonstop was ended (as mentioned up-thread) and there was some discussion about that one too.

azstar wrote:

I've got to agree completely. There are certainly VFR and other leisure traffic to and from TUS plus some military but the corporate travelers are too few and far between.

I still get so depressed whenever I visit TUS -- a beautiful, nice-sized airport but practically another Arizona ghost town most of the time...

bb

DL still flies ATL-TUS 13x weekly (twice daily except for Saturday where it's 1x) with all flights on a 739. I recall flying that route on a 757 years ago.

As a former Tucson resident, a lot of Tucson area O/D VFR traffic uses either the Arizona Shuttle or drives up I-10 to PHX for nonstop flights to/from their destinations.

TUS is a nice airport and I loved flying out of it but ATL is it east of Chicago. I remember B6 tried JFK, CO tried EWR, and AA tried JFK and none of them worked.

jetsetter629

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:31 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Interesting that another small PA airport like ERI, SCE is now going to have AA service to ORD alongside UA.

Like ERI, I wouldn't be surprised if this eventually spells the end for service from PHL-ABE/AVP/SCE/MDT. With short segment times to PHL, these airports are now well connected to CLT for connections south and ORD west...

usairways85

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:15 pm

ncflyer wrote:
I would have thought that Erie would have strong same state ties to Philly, and would therefore have some decent O&D traffic to supplement the connectors. It's a long drive. . . .

But guess not strong enough.

Not really as verified by the ~10 PDEW. Maybe 60+ years ago when coal and steel were the heart of PA's industrial economy. But not so much now. It's a 6 1/2 450+ mile drive so not exactly close.

azstar

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:56 pm

alasizon wrote:
Another piece with CLT-TUS was that a lot of the one stop itineraries were still better priced via PHX & DFW and for some odd reason, TUS folks really seem to love the short flight to PHX then onward.

They love it if they can save $1.00. Wages are low and unless you're a doctor, missile engineer, or athletic coach, well paying jobs are few and far between. 25% of the population lives below the federal poverty line.

TWFlyGuy

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:14 pm

PennPal wrote:

By adding CLT as well, AA's utility should be higher than UA in theory.

TWFlyGuy

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:17 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
deltaffindfw wrote:

There are many shorter routes that the DHC8 was flying that are now on 145's that haven't been dropped, so unlikely. Probably they see more connecting traffic to the SE than they do to the NE.

It's not about it being shorter or longer but about traffic flows, aircraft and gate availability, what will be most profitable. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the flow over PHL was to Florida which in a DASH-8 may be more profitable than if it were on a 50 seater. however, when you flow them through CLT (much cheaper to operate through than PHL) it works.

TWFlyGuy

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:21 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
Someone asked earlier if its odd that both UA and AA fly to ORD from Erie, both airlines also fly to FNT , Michigan from ORD which I find weird also due to that city being economically depressed and only 1.5hrs at most from DTW.
I live near FNT and they both have a handful of flights each day. I'm sure there are other smallish cities who have both UA/AA competing.

It would be interesting to see AA add CLT-FNT but I don't see it happening. DL probably grabs most of the Florida traffic not taking an ULCC.

TWFlyGuy

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:24 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
UpNAWAy wrote:

CHA-HHH?

Sorry Missed a DCA in there....

I'm fairly certain the OAG thread a couple weeks ago showed UA adding IAD-HHH so this DCA is likely about that however, US did fly that route previously. Amazing how much that little runway lengthening project is adding a lot of service to HHH...from a couple flights a day to CLT just a couple months ago. I have to imagine DL is looking at ATL and maybe LGA.