eidvm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:40 am

Very revealing articicle on the front page of today’s Sunday Independent business section on the state of play of the Aer Lingus pilot shortage, apparently pilots are turning down offers of over €5,000 to go in to work on their free days off, resulting in all the hire ins in recent months and all the cancellations of the SNN-JFK flights to use that 757 to operate Dublin based flights.

I can only wonder what the plan is to solve this shortage, but it doesn’t come across well if flights are constantly delayed, cancelled and operated by hireins all because you didn’t hire enough staff, especially long haul flights with all the connecting traffic they’re trying to build through their DUB HUB. I know pilots are very well paid but €5,000 is still an awful lot of money to turn down for working a day off, so the issues must be quite deep rooted.

If good will and flexibility has gone that low they’re going to have serious problems next summer with the addition of 3 NEO-LRs and the increasing of the long haul fleet from 14 to 30 over the next 5 years.

shamrock350

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:59 am

ClassicLover wrote:
LH982 wrote:
I don't think there was ever a lack of demand, the problem was that it was only on certain routes. In the end EI went with standardisation, and removed it from all short haul aircraft.

Maybe they will go to the empty middle seat config on the A320s. Not great compared to the 321LRs, but better than nothing.

Well considering all of Europe does empty middle seat business class, I don't see why they don't. It works for everyone else and people pay for it.

I did notice in the IAG Capital Markets Day presentation, "Airspace" (as opposed to AerSpace for Aer Lingus) was mentioned for Iberia in Fleet -

"Improve comfort (Premium Economy, A350, A320 Neos, Extra-large bins, Airspace, luxury bedding and amenities, extra legroom)

Coincidence?

‘Airspace’ is the new cabin product from Airbus, first revealed on the A330neo and expanding to A359 and eventually A320 family aircraft. This is what Iberia is referring to.

eidvm

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:28 pm

eidvm wrote:
Very revealing articicle on the front page of today’s Sunday Independent business section on the state of play of the Aer Lingus pilot shortage, apparently pilots are turning down offers of over €5,000 to go in to work on their free days off, resulting in all the hire ins in recent months and all the cancellations of the SNN-JFK flights to use that 757 to operate Dublin based flights.

I can only wonder what the plan is to solve this shortage, but it doesn’t come across well if flights are constantly delayed, cancelled and operated by hireins all because you didn’t hire enough staff, especially long haul flights with all the connecting traffic they’re trying to build through their DUB HUB. I know pilots are very well paid but €5,000 is still an awful lot of money to turn down for working a day off, so the issues must be quite deep rooted.

If good will and flexibility has gone that low they’re going to have serious problems next summer with the addition of 3 NEO-LRs and the increasing of the long haul fleet from 14 to 30 over the next 5 years.

Link from another site:
https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 89498.html

eirflot

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:32 pm

I'm afraid it seems to be a problem - the m8re you are paid the less you want to work! Pilots are at the top end of the middle class.

However it's an EI problem - if they want the hub to work then they should have the staff available. It's not that long ago they got agreement to a 100 plus intake of qualified pilots and I think they two sets of cadets ongoing

I guess IALPA won't be so cynical on thus shortage as they were with the Ryanair shortage!!!

ClassicLover

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:33 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
‘Airspace’ is the new cabin product from Airbus, first revealed on the A330neo and expanding to A359 and eventually A320 family aircraft. This is what Iberia is referring to.

Of course, how could I forget "Airspace" = "Tiny toilets and small galleys" :)

Thanks for the reminder!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:10 pm

Rescue 116 called to assist Norwegian plane land at Dublin Airport

The aircraft’s crew reported a technical issue on its approach to Dublin this afternoon.

THE IRISH COAST GUARD came to the assistance of a Norwegian airline’s plane at Dublin Airport this afternoon.

The pilot of the D8494 from Helsinki to Dublin requested the assistance of air traffic control on its approach to the runaway, due to a technical issue with the aircraft.

www.thejournal.ie/norwegian-airlines-4319985-Nov2018/

VFRonTop

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:58 pm

LH982 wrote:
Consistency of product would be another one. There's no point having a lie flat business class on the morning flight to CDG, if the evening flight is back to economy only. Interesting times.

Agreed - but with a fleet of 12 A321s I think they would make this work. Also I was thinking more about EU to NA business flights, currently people who connect to North America in business class on BA, LH, AF, KL etc fly economy with the middle seat empty euro-business. If EI could offer the comfort of a flat-bed to DUB and beyond I think that would be a very exciting proposition.

ClassicLover wrote:
I don't think it needs to be sold at an exceptionally high premium. There might be enough transfer traffic to fill most of it anyway. I'll be very surprised if EI can't fill 12 J on the business routes.
I'd expect that EI would want to prioritise those business travellers connecting to long haul flights in DUB over O&D travellers around Europe

ClassicLover wrote:
Well, apart from the A350 used by AY between HEL and LHR, plus the widebody aircraft IB use between LHR and MAD, and LATAM between MAD and FRA... :) There are other routes with long haul products in Europe due to aircraft utilisation.
True, but the AY, IB and BA flights are predominantly flown for cargo reasons and are not timed very well for connections. 5th freedom flights and ad-hoc services aside there is no EU airline offering a dedicated business product (aka not middle seat free) in Europe. If EI decides to fly these A321s in Europe I think they could capture a higher proportion of the connecting J-class market with it.

This is all speculation in any event, lets see what they come up with.

LH982

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:51 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
Agreed - but with a fleet of 12 A321s I think they would make this work. Also I was thinking more about EU to NA business flights, currently people who connect to North America in business class on BA, LH, AF, KL etc fly economy with the middle seat empty euro-business. If EI could offer the comfort of a flat-bed to DUB and beyond I think that would be a very exciting

If they can provide lie flat seats both ways to link the Atlantic flights to the premium European destinations, they may find a very good market to exploit. I'm sure an empty middle seat will do for everything else; maybe throw in a stuffing sandwich on a real plate.

BrianDromey

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:32 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
LH982 wrote:
Consistency of product would be another one. There's no point having a lie flat business class on the morning flight to CDG, if the evening flight is back to economy only. Interesting times.

Agreed - but with a fleet of 12 A321s I think they would make this work. Also I was thinking more about EU to NA business flights, currently people who connect to North America in business class on BA, LH, AF, KL etc fly economy with the middle seat empty euro-business. If EI could offer the comfort of a flat-bed to DUB and beyond I think that would be a very exciting proposition.

I don't think consistency should be that much of a problem. Euro business doesn't cause problems on any number of airlines, including LH, LX, AF and BA. Both BA and IB operate long-haul wide bodies on their hub routes, again no huge problems with consistency, although anecdotal evidence that customers prefer the 777/A340 rotations. I don't think it is the hardware that will be the cause of confusion, but a 'soft-product' needs to be created. Business/AerSpace/Lingus+/whatever, or keep it as it is with all-Y. Let 'guests' know what they can expect in terms of Check-In/Security/Lounges/Boarding/Refreshments when purchasing a Business/AerSpace/Lingus+/whatever ticket, Long or short-haul.

eirflot

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:39 pm

Unfortunately I believe any half assed attempt at service will not do. Knowing EI and the likely pricing then Guests ( how i hate that term) will expect a decent service and product. Let's face it current EI pricing on short haul is a bit hit and miss- it's possible to get business class fares to Frankfurt, Zurich, etc., cheaper than EIs top economy offering!

If they try they could make a difference!

ClassicLover

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:56 pm

eirflot wrote:
Unfortunately I believe any half assed attempt at service will not do. Knowing EI and the likely pricing then Guests ( how i hate that term) will expect a decent service and product. Let's face it current EI pricing on short haul is a bit hit and miss- it's possible to get business class fares to Frankfurt, Zurich, etc., cheaper than EIs top economy offering!

If people are buying Aer Lingus economy at those fares - and they clearly are - then well done to the revenue management team! That's exactly what they should be doing - getting as much money out of people as possible. Well done! That's the way to be a success and they really are now.

LH982

Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:51 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
VFRonTop wrote:
LH982 wrote:

I don't think consistency should be that much of a problem. Euro business doesn't cause problems on any number of airlines, including LH, LX, AF and BA. Both BA and IB operate long-haul wide bodies on their hub routes, again no huge problems with consistency, although anecdotal evidence that customers prefer the 777/A340 rotations. I don't think it is the hardware that will be the cause of confusion, but a 'soft-product' needs to be created. Business/AerSpace/Lingus+/whatever, or keep it as it is with all-Y. Let 'guests' know what they can expect in terms of Check-In/Security/Lounges/Boarding/Refreshments when purchasing a Business/AerSpace/Lingus+/whatever ticket, Long or short-haul.

I think everyone's in agreement over what they should do, but AerClub has shown they still have a gift for making a sow's ear out of a silk purse. Let's hope they do it properly, with a clear product that's delivered as promised.

OA260

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:20 pm

eirflot wrote:
likely pricing then Guests ( how i hate that term)

Indeed we had that conversation a few years back when they first introduced it. A contradiction in terms.

Galwayman

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:29 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
eirflot wrote:

If people are buying Aer Lingus economy at those fares - and they clearly are - then well done to the revenue management team! That's exactly what they should be doing - getting as much money out of people as possible. Well done! That's the way to be a success and they really are now.

Yes well done EI revenue managers . If they can sell seats like that there is zero need for a middle-seat-blocked-business-class

But if they revenue models are reworked and can make a business case , then if it’s good enough for BA, IB,LH a blocked middle seat with the occasional operational upgrade to lie Flat business is certainly good enough for EI

KeevaOS

Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Galwayman wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Yes well done EI revenue managers . If they can sell seats like that there is zero need for a middle-seat-blocked-business-class

But if they revenue models are reworked and can make a business case , then if it’s good enough for BA, IB,LH a blocked middle seat with the occasional operational upgrade to lie Flat business is certainly good enough for EI

I wonder if a curtain would be installed to in order to divide economy and business class cabins just like in BA/Iberia

embraer420

Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 pm

LH982 wrote:
VFRonTop wrote:
Agreed - but with a fleet of 12 A321s I think they would make this work. Also I was thinking more about EU to NA business flights, currently people who connect to North America in business class on BA, LH, AF, KL etc fly economy with the middle seat empty euro-business. If EI could offer the comfort of a flat-bed to DUB and beyond I think that would be a very exciting

If they can provide lie flat seats both ways to link the Atlantic flights to the premium European destinations, they may find a very good market to exploit. I'm sure an empty middle seat will do for everything else; maybe throw in a stuffing sandwich on a real plate.

Whatever about EI having a superior European business class offering compared to BA, KL etc but what about lounges? I mean, the Aer Lingus lounge at DUB isn't exactly BA galleries lounge.....

If Aer Lingus had decent lounges (think of something like Virgin Atlantic) before and after CBP in Dublin, and then half decent lounges in a handful of other key cities (LHR/LGW, AMS, CDG, JFK maybe another one or two) as well as a good business product on both European and intercontinental flights, they would be brilliant.

LH982

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:06 pm

EI and DAA lounges in Dublin are an embarrassment. EI will never(and should never) get to Virgin T3 standard, but something with decent food and a bit of space shouldn't be beyond them. As often pointed out here, it's also a great opportunity to promote Irish produce.

As an aside, on the airside restaurant level in T2, is the south east area structurally sound and capable of being turned into a lounge.

eirflot

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Interesting that success is once again measured using money as the base. Of course EI should be successful and i am delighted they are but i cant help feeling slightly ripped off.

It will be interesting to see how they handle new business class pricing when their current top fares are at times more expensive than other carriers business class

shamrock350

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Ryanair have added 2W Dublin to Bodrum for S18

Link: https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryan ... ?market=ie

ClassicLover

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:20 am

eirflot wrote:
Interesting that success is once again measured using money as the base. Of course EI should be successful and i am delighted they are but i cant help feeling slightly ripped off.

It will be interesting to see how they handle new business class pricing when their current top fares are at times more expensive than other carriers business class

Cash is one of the metrics to show a successful business. EI also point to their NPS and other customer metrics also. Considering they're all very good, the company is doing just fine across the board. No business is perfect, but that is solely down to human beings screwing things up from time to time (on both sides!).

I think it's fantastic that EI charge what they do. More power to them! Personally, I fly BA when I travel business class, for the sole reason that it's usually a hell of a lot cheaper than the Aer Lingus equivalent. However, since there's so much money washing around in Ireland among certain circles, they should charge what they do. People certainly seem happy to pay the premium!

Ticketyboo

Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:43 am

eirflot wrote:

Indeed, I regularly fly LH to FRA or MUC in Business for considerably less than EI Advantage and often less than Plus and let's be honest, when it comes to service/product, there is just no comparison.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Ticketyboo wrote:
eirflot wrote:

Indeed, I regularly fly LH to FRA or MUC in Business for considerably less than EI Advantage and often less than Plus and let's be honest, when it comes to service/product, there is just no comparison.

Hopefully that will change with the A321NeoLR!

Saw this interesting article in Flight about EI's spending plans to 2023.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... le-453325/

This particular sentence caught my eye: "But some 172 aircraft, comprising 128 short-haul and 44 long-haul, from this overall figure of 716 are still under consideration, the company has disclosed."

While most of this number will go to BA and IB, possibly VY as well, I'd expect EI's short haul fleet replacement to be included in this. By 2023, the SH fleet will be pretty long in the tooth; the first four (CVA-D) date back to 2000, so they at least should be replaced by then.

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:47 pm

Plane returned to Derry due to ‘electrical burning smell’

A plane flying from City of Derry Airport to Stansted had to change course and return to Eglinton after a burning smell was detected, it has been confirmed.

The incident, which involved the BMI Regional flight to London from Derry on Sunday, led to the plane returning to Eglinton within 10 minutes of take-off.

www.derryjournal.com/news/plane-returne ... -1-8694754

OA260

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:25 pm

October sees record number of passengers for October

Dublin Airport has recorded its busiest October in its 78 year history.

More than 2.8m passengers travelled through the facility in October, a 9% increase on the same month last year.

European routes saw an increase of 8%, as almost 1.5m passengers travelled to and from European destinations in October.

More than 877,000 passengers travelled to and from UK destinations last month, a 4% increase compared to October last year.

Transatlantic traffic to North America increased by 17%, with almost 390,000 passengers travelling on this route sector last month.

www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/1106/10089 ... assengers/

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Amazing numbers for T/A; I recall that in the mid 1980s, Aer Lingus would carry that number on t/a routes in a year - and since that was the days of the stopover and before any US carriers started into DUB (I think NW started around '86/87), the figure for DUB would have been much lower.

Skyblue39

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Looks like we are on course for 31M+ this year.

"Dublin Airport has welcomed almost 27 million passengers in the first 10 months of the year, a 6% increase over the same period in 2017. More than 1.6 million extra passengers have travelled through the airport between January and October."

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-ne ... n-airports

Phen

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:32 pm

kaitak wrote:
the first four (CVA-D) date back to 2000

EI-CVD is no longer in the fleet and appears to be flying with Allegiant now. Indeed EI-CVA to C are all pushing on a bit now but EI-CVB in particular badly needs a repaint. There seems to be very little if any appetite for European expansion at the moment with all focus being on the Atlantic so I would say the 320s will be replaced one by one as and when necessary. Whether these replacements will include A320NEOs is anyone's guess.

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Anyone know when Etihad is moving to the single daily 777 on DUB-AUH. Thought it was happening with the start of the summer season, but hasn't started yet. Has a date been fixed for it?

eicvd

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 pm

kaitak wrote:
Anyone know when Etihad is moving to the single daily 777 on DUB-AUH. Thought it was happening with the start of the summer season, but hasn't started yet. Has a date been fixed for it?

Mid January, the 19th I think.
COYBIB

CFNFlyer

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:39 pm

Are Etihad struggling on that route? ME/Asian traffic is booming, up 19% last month so surprised they're cutting back

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:37 pm

I think EY is struggling generally; they probably thought it best - for the time being - to focus on one route. From double daily A332 to single 77W (assuming 2 class) is a drop of 100 seats a day, but if they're selling Y class seats at deep discounts and yields aren't great, that's probably a price worth paying.

Incidentally, I see that the Italian competition authority has told Ryanair (and Wizz) to hold off on their new baggage policy. FR is appealing the move, but I would expect that on Italian routes at least, they'll have to follow this. The question is: will other agencies or the EU follow?

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... g-policies

Eirules

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Departing DUB this eve and a couple of unusual sights.

An AA A330 departing at 5pm, a very heavily delayed departure to PHL. And a QR aircraft parked in the field, from a distance it looked like an A330. In for painting or for EI?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

eicvd

Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Eirules wrote:
Departing DUB this eve and a couple of unusual sights.

An AA A330 departing at 5pm, a very heavily delayed departure to PHL. And a QR aircraft parked in the field, from a distance it looked like an A330. In for painting or for EI?

Yesterday’s AA went tech & was still there this morning so may have been that one. The QR is a 777, came in this morning.
COYBIB

OA260

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Ryanair and Michael O'Leary sued by US shareholder

Ryanair and its Chief Executive Michael O'Leary are being sued in New York by a shareholder accusing the airline of defrauding its investors, and inflating its share price by overstating its ability to manage its labour relations and keep costs down.

www.rte.ie/news/2018/1107/1009388-ryana ... -new-york/

planemanofnz

Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:46 pm

CFNFlyer wrote:
Are Etihad struggling on that route? ME/Asian traffic is booming, up 19% last month so surprised they're cutting back

They dropped PER, which would've hurt them badly at DUB, as DUB - PER was a major corridor. They'd also be hurt by 1) China and Hong Kong now having direct flights, and 2) various scheduling cutbacks reducing transfer banks/competitiveness.

Cheers,

C.

Skyblue39

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 am

Denver International Airport looking to expand international flights to unserved markets.

VAIL — As part of the Colorado Governor's Tourism Conference held at Vail's Hotel Talisa at the end of October, industry leaders discussed the role of flights in driving international travel.

The overall message is that Denver International Airport is well established within the United States, but the focus will be on creating more international flights.

"We'd like a flight to Amsterdam. We'd like a flight to Dublin. The largest unserved international markets are Amsterdam, Dublin and Rome.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/denver-i ... d-markets/

ClassicLover

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 am

Skyblue39 wrote:
Denver International Airport looking to expand international flights to unserved markets.

"We'd like a flight to Amsterdam. We'd like a flight to Dublin. The largest unserved international markets are Amsterdam, Dublin and Rome.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/denver-i ... d-markets/

Sounds good to me, my friends moved from Washington to Denver, so I'd happily use the service.

I wonder if Denver might come in with the NEOs at Aer Lingus. Or perhaps a US carrier would give it a go. I'd be curious about how much demand there is... though, would there be any business demand at all? Perhaps that's why it's not started.

BrianDromey

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:21 am

ClassicLover wrote:
I wonder if Denver might come in with the NEOs at Aer Lingus. Or perhaps a US carrier would give it a go. I'd be curious about how much demand there is... though, would there be any business demand at all? Perhaps that's why it's not started.

It was heavily rumoured for the last round of A330 destinations, or speculated as seasonal Winter, but I imagine that would need a big block booking by tour operators/travel agents for ski holidays. DEN has to be high on the list for EI, maybe AUS, PHX. Although you never know with EI these days. Hicksville, Oklanowhere is as likely as anywhere.

OA260

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 pm

It seems some arrivals from LCY on the new EI flight are being bused from T1 to T2. Not sure if its for all flights.

EIJohn

Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:53 pm

OA260 wrote:
It seems some arrivals from LCY on the new EI flight are being bused from T1 to T2. Not sure if its for all flights.

The bus is for those passengers with checked bags/connections. Checked baggage is delivered to T2. Hand baggage only( or gate baggage) are free to exit through T1

klm617

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:07 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

It was heavily rumoured for the last round of A330 destinations, or speculated as seasonal Winter, but I imagine that would need a big block booking by tour operators/travel agents for ski holidays. DEN has to be high on the list for EI, maybe AUS, PHX. Although you never know with EI these days. Hicksville, Oklanowhere is as likely as anywhere.

Yes and hopefully Detroit.

https://www.anna.aero/2018/08/01/detroi ... -us-route/
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

embraer420

Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:29 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
Hicksville, Oklanowhere is as likely as anywhere.

Aer Lingus would sooner fly to Des Moines and Boise than Beijing and Tokyo :roll:

BrianDromey

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:19 pm

embraer420 wrote:
BrianDromey wrote:
Hicksville, Oklanowhere is as likely as anywhere.

Aer Lingus would sooner fly to Des Moines and Boise than Beijing and Tokyo :roll:

I agree and it’s a shame. Looking at new routes from BA, Iberia and LEVEL, The America’s are over represented. It’s a similar story at other airlines, Norwegian, for example, has few routes to Asia - I guess long flights and relatively lower fares make the flights less attractive. I know BA dumped capacity and low fares on them, but Norwegian can’t make LGW-SIN work yet do make New York work. I’ve come to the conclusion that the market is telling its own story - it’s not Iag simply wilfuly ingnoring markets other than the Americas.

OA260

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:35 am

Stobart Air celebrates flying 10 million for Aer Lingus

Dublin-based Stobart Air, which operates the Aer Lingus Regional service on a franchise basis, said it has carried 10 million passengers on the service since it launched in 2010.

Stobart Air, part of the UK stock market-listed Stobart Group, has a franchise agreement with Aer Lingus that expires in 2022. It has been seeking to have that contract extended to about 2025.

Stobart Air operates a number of routes on behalf of Aer Lingus using a fleet of 19 turboprop aircraft.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 09121.html

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:59 am

Congrats to Stobart; they (and RE, before them) have been a very important regional partner for EI. I can't help wondering what the future holds for this agreement. Yes, it has been very good for EI, but I wonder if the time has come for Stobart to upsize to something bigger than ATR72s and/or whether another operator might come in (what about Hibernian Airlines, which was mentioned as intending to operate CRJ-900s).

Will they (Stobart) start flying E-195s (or indeed, other E-jets) and move away from ATRs in due course?

ClassicLover

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:43 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
I agree and it’s a shame. Looking at new routes from BA, Iberia and LEVEL, The America’s are over represented. It’s a similar story at other airlines, Norwegian, for example, has few routes to Asia - I guess long flights and relatively lower fares make the flights less attractive. I know BA dumped capacity and low fares on them, but Norwegian can’t make LGW-SIN work yet do make New York work. I’ve come to the conclusion that the market is telling its own story - it’s not Iag simply wilfuly ingnoring markets other than the Americas.

The Americas is where the money is, plain and simple.

Also, when it comes to Asia, you have two rather large pieces of competition. Emirates, Etihad and Qatar is one, and the Asian carriers with their lower labour costs on the other. Due to geography, you're always going to see a focus on transatlantic flying over anything else. It's a reality that isn't going to change anytime soon.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46152849

Ryanair 737 imbounded at BOD due to unpaid fees due to regional airport in Angouleme. FR told to pay up; acft was about to fly back to STN.

OA260

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:48 pm

kaitak wrote:
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46152849

Ryanair 737 imbounded at BOD due to unpaid fees due to regional airport in Angouleme. FR told to pay up; acft was about to fly back to STN.

Would be interesting to know if the passengers were entitled to compensation in this instance.

OA260

Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:59 am

Pól Ó Conghaile: Aer Lingus is a feeling, but here's something it should never forget

The former national airline is flying high, but passengers provide much of the power behind its brand

If I say the words 'Aer Lingus', what comes to mind?

Irishness? Shamrock? A foot on home soil?
How about high prices, or a ham-fisted Aer Club rollout?

The answer depends on your experience, of course - but it goes to show that brands are not what marketers say they are. They're what we say they are.

I'm writing this column on an Aer Lingus flight from London. I've just gotten a hot water (and some sympathy) to go with a Lemsip, and a man in a middle seat has been invited to move to an empty row.

https://m.independent.ie/life/travel/pl ... 02049.html

OA260

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:01 pm

I DON'T BEE-LIEVE IT, DUBLIN AIRPORT TO SELL ITS HOMEMADE HONEY

Honey from Dublin Airport's bee hives is now on sale at the Marqette restaurant in Terminal 1.

The 100% natural Irish honey called Nect-Air is harvested from four hives housing more than a quarter of a million Irish dark native honey bees on airport owned land.

And it is now available in 340g jars to buy exclusively in Marqette restaurant in Terminal 1 at a cost of €9.95 each.

Marqette is the first restaurant at the airport to stock Nect-Air, reveals Dublin Airport's managing director, Vincent Harrison.

www.airport-world.com/news/general-news ... honey.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos