BestWestern
Posts: 8335
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:42 pm

It comes with the distinct flavour of av-gas.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:07 pm

OA260 wrote:
I DON'T BEE-LIEVE IT, DUBLIN AIRPORT TO SELL ITS HOMEMADE HONEY

Honey from Dublin Airport's bee hives is now on sale at the Marqette restaurant in Terminal 1.

http://www.airport-world.com/news/gener ... honey.html


Pretty much the whole story has been taken from a DAA press release from May, apart from the part about it now being sold in Marquette, which is obviously the news part.

https://www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-bees-produce-their-first-crop-of-honey

Still, I'm passing through at Christmas, so I might see if I can buy some. The only pain is going to be getting it back since I'll have to check a bag as presumably it's over 100ml and a bitch to decant into smaller containers :D
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
eirflot
Posts: 330
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:00 pm

I guess a slow news day!! Hard to bee- lieve it!!
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:20 am

The latest Aer Lingus growth plan is interesting. EI now plan on 14A321LR's (last we heard was 12?) and 16 A330s. This is fantastic growth and ambition. As the announced plans currently stand Aer Lingus will have 30 Long Haul A330/321's, 37 Short Haul A321/321's, 11 ATR's & 2 RJ85's. In the long term that seems like a fleet very heavily skewed towards long-haul. 30 long haul aircraft dependant on O&D is unprecedented from Ireland. While EI are saying that they want to continue to grow their DUB HUB unless they can write a coherent business case for an increased short-haul fleet, they will have to sacrifice O&D passengers for connections.
Unless they plan on letting Ryanair do a lot of the short-haul connections from smaller airports, but news on that deal seems quiet at the moment.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23633
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:57 am

Ross denies there's 'universal opposition' to third airport terminal

Transport Minister Shane Ross has insisted there is not "universal opposition" to a third terminal at Dublin Airport.

Pressed during Dáil questioning as to why a third terminal at the airport is being considered when airlines such as Aer Lingus and Ryanair are opposed to it, Mr Ross insisted the proposal is not being objected to by all stakeholders.
The DAA, the semi-State company that operates Dublin Airport, has also voiced its opposition to a third terminal in the short to medium term.

"I am not aware that there is universal opposition to the proposal," Mr Ross told the Dáil after being questioned by Sinn Féin TD Imelda Munster.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 17245.html
 
User avatar
AmricanShamrok
Posts: 2089
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:17 pm

OA260 wrote:
Ross denies there's 'universal opposition' to third airport terminal

Transport Minister Shane Ross has insisted there is not "universal opposition" to a third terminal at Dublin Airport.

Pressed during Dáil questioning as to why a third terminal at the airport is being considered when airlines such as Aer Lingus and Ryanair are opposed to it, Mr Ross insisted the proposal is not being objected to by all stakeholders.
The DAA, the semi-State company that operates Dublin Airport, has also voiced its opposition to a third terminal in the short to medium term.

"I am not aware that there is universal opposition to the proposal," Mr Ross told the Dáil after being questioned by Sinn Féin TD Imelda Munster.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 17245.html

I wonder are they also examining the original masterplan to re-design/extend the existing piers in Terminal 1 or has this gone out the window? Is it not more sustainable to build capacity out of the existing terminals rather than start a new one?
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:02 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Ross denies there's 'universal opposition' to third airport terminal

Transport Minister Shane Ross has insisted there is not "universal opposition" to a third terminal at Dublin Airport.

Pressed during Dáil questioning as to why a third terminal at the airport is being considered when airlines such as Aer Lingus and Ryanair are opposed to it, Mr Ross insisted the proposal is not being objected to by all stakeholders.
The DAA, the semi-State company that operates Dublin Airport, has also voiced its opposition to a third terminal in the short to medium term.

"I am not aware that there is universal opposition to the proposal," Mr Ross told the Dáil after being questioned by Sinn Féin TD Imelda Munster.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 17245.html

I wonder are they also examining the original masterplan to re-design/extend the existing piers in Terminal 1 or has this gone out the window? Is it not more sustainable to build capacity out of the existing terminals rather than start a new one?


They have adjusted the masterplan, hopefully CAR publish the 900 million capacity plans this side of Christmas. Both T1 and T2 getting a new pier + expanded US immegration. IAG markers day pdf have rough drawing.

Only opposition Ross listens to is about Stepaside Garda Station! Will never win vote in Dail.
 
DalRiada
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46181662

Which one of you was joyriding F35s off Dingle this morning?
 
Galwayman
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
The latest Aer Lingus growth plan is interesting. EI now plan on 14A321LR's (last we heard was 12?) and 16 A330s. This is fantastic growth and ambition. As the announced plans currently stand Aer Lingus will have 30 Long Haul A330/321's, 37 Short Haul A321/321's, 11 ATR's & 2 RJ85's. In the long term that seems like a fleet very heavily skewed towards long-haul. 30 long haul aircraft dependant on O&D is unprecedented from Ireland. While EI are saying that they want to continue to grow their DUB HUB unless they can write a coherent business case for an increased short-haul fleet, they will have to sacrifice O&D passengers for connections.
Unless they plan on letting Ryanair do a lot of the short-haul connections from smaller airports, but news on that deal seems quiet at the moment.



Would make perfect sense - get FR to do the short haul ... Willie Walsh said that years ago somewhere ... let people fly short haul Lcc to Lon / Dub and then connect on to EI /BA etc ...
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:29 pm

Interesting times ahead for Fly(May)be, is Stobart going to swoop in for them?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46203183
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5320
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:24 am

Ticketyboo wrote:
Interesting times ahead for Fly(May)be, is Stobart going to swoop in for them?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46203183

I think Stobart is the most likely candidate but just how much of their own house is in order before they try and take on Flybe's woes? IAG seems unlikely, I'd hazard a guess they've already knocked on their door and been turned down, anything Flybe can offer is already available within the IAG group via their own franchise operators. The competition authorities would be all over it as well.

Doesn't seem so long ago Flybe was in cahoots with Ryanair in their attempt to take over Aer Lingus. If I remember correctly, Flybe were willing to take on the short haul network, nine of the A320s and a €100m cash injection from Ryanair to help the bid get past the European Commission. The newly formed Flybe Ireland would then be left to compete with the combined Ryanair and remaining Aer Lingus operation, we'll never know how that would have worked out for Flybe but I doubt it would have been pretty.

It's an uncertain time for Flybe and their staff, I feel for them all but I'm sure a turnaround possible with the right ownership.
 
Ticketyboo
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:04 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
Interesting times ahead for Fly(May)be, is Stobart going to swoop in for them?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46203183

I think Stobart is the most likely candidate but just how much of their own house is in order before they try and take on Flybe's woes? IAG seems unlikely, I'd hazard a guess they've already knocked on their door and been turned down, anything Flybe can offer is already available within the IAG group via their own franchise operators. The competition authorities would be all over it as well.

Doesn't seem so long ago Flybe was in cahoots with Ryanair in their attempt to take over Aer Lingus. If I remember correctly, Flybe were willing to take on the short haul network, nine of the A320s and a €100m cash injection from Ryanair to help the bid get past the European Commission. The newly formed Flybe Ireland would then be left to compete with the combined Ryanair and remaining Aer Lingus operation, we'll never know how that would have worked out for Flybe but I doubt it would have been pretty.

It's an uncertain time for Flybe and their staff, I feel for them all but I'm sure a turnaround possible with the right ownership.



I would concur. I've always found FlyBe crew to be very professional, their reliability as an airline somewhat hit/miss, and the Q aircraft anything but... Stobart may not want the entire operation and it hasn't been managed particularly well over the years, so it's going to be interesting to see what happens. I hope that we see the Dublin-Cardiff route continue.
 
ELBOB
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 am

BestWestern wrote:
It comes with the distinct flavour of av-gas.


EIDW hasn't stocked Avgas since 2011 :)
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9724
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:59 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Ticketyboo wrote:
Interesting times ahead for Fly(May)be, is Stobart going to swoop in for them?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46203183

I think Stobart is the most likely candidate but just how much of their own house is in order before they try and take on Flybe's woes? IAG seems unlikely, I'd hazard a guess they've already knocked on their door and been turned down, anything Flybe can offer is already available within the IAG group via their own franchise operators. The competition authorities would be all over it as well.

It's an uncertain time for Flybe and their staff, I feel for them all but I'm sure a turnaround possible with the right ownership.


I agree, to an extent, though I don't see what Stobart would get out of an acquisition. I like BE and always find their crews pleasant to deal with. I think the Q400's reliability is an issue for them (the airline is referred to as "Fly Maybe" in Jersey!) and it may well be due to their maintenance facilities being overstretched. I think the SEN operation has not been the most successful (some LFs on DUB route still very low) and I can't help wondering if other hubs or mini-hubs really work. They tend to embark on things without really having the money to follow them through (two abortive attempts to set up routes to LCY). I wonder if their corporate vision is really clear? I think that whatever happens,they will be pruned pretty sharply and it may well be that other carriers will take over bits of it, rather than the whole thing. I think that a lot of its business probably is not sustainable.
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:32 am

kaitak wrote:
shamrock350 wrote:

It's an uncertain time for Flybe and their staff, I feel for them all but I'm sure a turnaround possible with the right ownership.


... I like BE and always find their crews pleasant to deal with. I think the Q400's reliability is an issue for them (the airline is referred to as "Fly Maybe" in Jersey!) and it may well be due to their maintenance facilities being overstretched. I think the SEN operation has not been the most successful (some LFs on DUB route still very low) and I can't help wondering if other hubs or mini-hubs really work...


I've always felt that Flybe were 'the little airline that could' but just didn't. There is definitely space in the market for a regional carrier, they have great crew and a committed workforce. I can't help but feel that it has been due to successive poor management and lack of strategic commitment that they find themselves in this position.
They have a notoriously unreliable fleet, what has been exacerbated by poor fleet management and planning (looking at you E195s) and a seemingly slap-dash approach to route selection and commitment.

I don't know what the future holds but I hope something of the business survives :(
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23633
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Aer Lingus pilot due to receive damages over defamatory emails

A jury is set to be sworn this week at the High Court for a landmark case where they will decide the amount of damages due to an Aer Lingus pilot who claimed he was defamed by three emails sent by the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) a number of years ago.

Those emails were circulated inside the IAA and also sent to the UK's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). Precise details of the case are expected to be laid bare in court this week after the jury is selected.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 26571.html
 
Eirules
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:17 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:37 pm

Delighted to see that United have announced the daily EWR-DUB flight will be operated by a 787-10 for the coming summer season. A massive upgrade for business travellers. Link below for those that demand a source....

https://hub.united.com/united-airlines- ... 14319.html
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....
 
Galwayman
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:28 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
Eirules wrote:
Delighted to see that United have announced the daily EWR-DUB flight will be operated by a 787-10 for the coming summer season. A massive upgrade for business travellers. Link below for those that demand a source....

https://hub.united.com/united-airlines- ... 14319.html


Wow big improvement on their old 777 they've been using
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23633
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:30 am

Dublin Airport was one of the fastest-growing large airports in Europe during September, according to new figures from Airports Council International (ACI).

It said that the airport’s 6.7pc growth that month was the fifth-highest rate amongst European airports handling more than 25 million passengers a year.
Moscow’s Sheremetyevo was the fastest-growing in the group, adding 15.6pc more passengers.

Dublin’s performance in September wasn’t far behind Lisbon, which grew by 7pc. London Stansted added 9.1pc more passengers, while Madrid added 8.2pc.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 28069.html
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:18 am

VFRonTop wrote:
I've always felt that Flybe were 'the little airline that could' but just didn't. There is definitely space in the market for a regional carrier, they have great crew and a committed workforce. I can't help but feel that it has been due to successive poor management and lack of strategic commitment that they find themselves in this position.


flyBe are facing a similar situation to that faced by bmi. Their cost base is an issue, their weak brand is an issue, they have little pricing power in the market and their 'network' is a random collection of business/domestic/VFR routes, which makes marketing a coherent brand difficult. Their situation is worsened by a reputation for unreliability (which I think it probably overstated), financial distress and multiple management changes which rotate previous branding, network, franchise & fleet decisions. This is further exacerbated by an ageing, high-maintenance fleet, poor customer-facing IT and the associated low level of upset/ancillary revenue. Then we get to a problem which will never get better and flyBe can't control - UK APD - it makes up a high portion of domestic UK fares and impacts flyBe disproportionately with their route network and multiple short hops.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Aer Lingus have issued a press release stating AerClub now has 1 million members. 450,000 Irish members, 267,000 US members and 152,000 members from across Europe and the UK, which is interesting.

The person who is the 1 millionth member received 240,000 Avios, a Platinum card, and a €500 shopping trip and personal styling session at Kildare Village. I would have loved to have won that! :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23633
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:41 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Aer Lingus have issued a press release stating AerClub now has 1 million members. 450,000 Irish members, 267,000 US members and 152,000 members from across Europe and the UK, which is interesting.

The person who is the 1 millionth member received 240,000 Avios, a Platinum card, and a €500 shopping trip and personal styling session at Kildare Village. I would have loved to have won that! :)


I wonder are they including the thousands of Dupe accounts that were set up during the registration and migration issues which have left thousands with two live accounts .
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:04 pm

‘Where the F**K IS MY LUGGAGE!?’: Stormy Daniels lets fly at Aer Lingus

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3699031
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:
‘Where the F**K IS MY LUGGAGE!?’: Stormy Daniels lets fly at Aer Lingus

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3699031


The journalists shock at how someone would travel from the US to Oxford via ireland is a bit odd, have they never heard of connecting flights? Aer Lingus obviously serves more than just people coming to Ireland.
 
User avatar
IrishTexan
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:29 am

Does Aer Lingus have any plans to put a Premium Economy section in the transatlantic fleet? Will this be a requirement to join Oneworld? Will they actually join Oneworld?
I've used AA/BA multiple times this year to fly to Ireland from DFW via LHR and have found PE to be a significant upgrade from economy (especially on AA 77W, not quite so much on the BA 744). The whole PE seat/service experience is similar to domestic first class in the US.
Also, here are some personal observations. Given that I am flexible on arriving/departing DUB or SNN, for me SNN wins hands down. More relaxed all round, from shorter walking distances, faster security clearance both at arrival and departure, easy car hire pick-up and drop off and the kicker of an airside smoking area! Of course all this changes next summer with non-stop service. Thank you AA.
Some other non Ireland observations are the ease of transferring through LHR and the zero wait at security/passport checks arriving on the 22.00 departure from DFW, which usually gets into LHR around 13.00 (staff at the checkpoints told me that is about the best time of day to arrive at T3). Finally, international arrivals at DFW with APC kiosks (Automated Passport Control) make for speedy processing which offsets the lack of pre-clearance at LHR.
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23633
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:07 am

...............
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 am

JAmie2k9 wrote:
‘Where the F**K IS MY LUGGAGE!?’: Stormy Daniels lets fly at Aer Lingus

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-sty ... -1.3699031


I saw the tweet saying the Aer Lingus Twitter team were great this morning but hadn't seen the rest until I read this.

Totally understand the whole annoyance of the thing, especially if you're only in a place for a short while. A friend of mine had his luggage lost for over a week flying Finnair in 2006 and to this day he regularly berates Finnair and won't fly with them even if they are cheapest. It has a real effect on brand association.

IrishTexan wrote:
Does Aer Lingus have any plans to put a Premium Economy section in the transatlantic fleet? Will this be a requirement to join Oneworld? Will they actually join Oneworld?
I've used AA/BA multiple times this year to fly to Ireland from DFW via LHR and have found PE to be a significant upgrade from economy (especially on AA 77W, not quite so much on the BA 744). The whole PE seat/service experience is similar to domestic first class in the US.
Also, here are some personal observations. Given that I am flexible on arriving/departing DUB or SNN, for me SNN wins hands down. More relaxed all round, from shorter walking distances, faster security clearance both at arrival and departure, easy car hire pick-up and drop off and the kicker of an airside smoking area! Of course all this changes next summer with non-stop service. Thank you AA.
Some other non Ireland observations are the ease of transferring through LHR and the zero wait at security/passport checks arriving on the 22.00 departure from DFW, which usually gets into LHR around 13.00 (staff at the checkpoints told me that is about the best time of day to arrive at T3). Finally, international arrivals at DFW with APC kiosks (Automated Passport Control) make for speedy processing which offsets the lack of pre-clearance at LHR.


There have been no plans announced at all for Premium Economy on Aer Lingus. If they join oneworld, it is not a requirement as a number of carriers in that alliance have no Premium Economy class. I agree with you that it is a nice step up from Economy class, though the value of it depends on the price. Sometimes it is too much for what it is.

It's entirely possible Aer Lingus will join as a oneworld Connect member. This is what Fiji Airways are doing, where they offer basic benefits on most of the carriers, and full alignment with the carriers that make sense for them. Either way, I wish they'd hurry up and sort it out, solely from a frequent flyer perspective.

When it comes to SNN versus DUB, there is an airside smoking area at DUB as well. It is in Terminal 1 (you can walk between T1 and T2 airside easily), and you go up to the food court on the upper level and the bar at the end has an outdoor terrace where everyone smokes.

I've got used to LHR and know it pretty well now so it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Part of that is because it has newer and upgraded terminals and facilities which helps processing times. Plus coming from Ireland means you're straight through with no checks, which I appreciate.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
kaitak
Topic Author
Posts: 9724
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 5:49 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Interesting range ring for the A321XLR, currently under development by Airbus and being considered by EI:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4700nm%40DUB

This would bring significantly more cities into consideration for Aer Lingus.
 
JAmie2k9
Posts: 1883
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Unconfirmed DY suspend SNN for most of Q1 2019. DUB-SWF reduces back to 1 daily (same as 2018 Q1)
 
Galwayman
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:14 pm

kaitak wrote:
Interesting range ring for the A321XLR, currently under development by Airbus and being considered by EI:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4700nm%40DUB

This would bring significantly more cities into consideration for Aer Lingus.



What cities though ?
 
User avatar
alancostello
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Galwayman wrote:
kaitak wrote:
Interesting range ring for the A321XLR, currently under development by Airbus and being considered by EI:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4700nm%40DUB

This would bring significantly more cities into consideration for Aer Lingus.



What cities though ?


Secondary California cities (San Diego for one), Texas (IAH, if United partnership is to continue, or DFW to supplement AA's summer service) the Caribbean, and that's just to the west.
 
VFRonTop
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Galwayman wrote:
kaitak wrote:
Interesting range ring for the A321XLR, currently under development by Airbus and being considered by EI:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4700nm%40DUB

This would bring significantly more cities into consideration for Aer Lingus.



What cities though ?


Not sure if this is paper range or real world range but I would expect that like the A321LR the A321X would open up a lot of cities that might not need the capacity of the A330 like:
DEN, LAS, PHX, YVR, SLC, SAN, PDX, MEX, CUN and Caribbean destinations.

It also opens up The entire Indian subcontinent for NA connections as well as PEK
 
EK770
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:42 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:12 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
kaitak wrote:
Interesting range ring for the A321XLR, currently under development by Airbus and being considered by EI:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4700nm%40DUB

This would bring significantly more cities into consideration for Aer Lingus.



What cities though ?


Not sure if this is paper range or real world range but I would expect that like the A321LR the A321X would open up a lot of cities that might not need the capacity of the A330 like:
DEN, LAS, PHX, YVR, SLC, SAN, PDX, MEX, CUN and Caribbean destinations.

It also opens up The entire Indian subcontinent for NA connections as well as PEK


I don't see a lot of those cities being within the range of A321XLR. You might just manage YVR/SEA/PDX, which would be the height of it. MEX = too far/too high, PHX/LAS = too far/too hot, SAN/California = too far, DEN = maybe too high? DEL might work but BOM would be pushing it to the limits in my opinion.

Realistically, I'd be surprised if we were looking at anything more than maybe 4000-4100nm in reality. Not to mention, 10 hours in A321 sounds like torture :D
 
Galwayman
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Really interesting GC map ... EI could dump the A330s over time ... and go for frequency at LAX, SFO ... multiple pushes at DUB , morning and afternoon ... A321LR really is the perfect EI aircraft
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4299
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 pm

VFRonTop wrote:
DEN ... MEX ...

No - altitude.

Cheers,

C.
 
irelandplane201
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Is there a chance virgin Atlantic might start flights from dublin at some point.
Also any news on the rumoured air india flights to dehli from the independant a few months back
 
User avatar
OA260
Posts: 23633
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:50 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:23 am

When Dublin Airport got a space-age restaurant

Even now it looks posh. For the 1950s, it was positively space age. Linen tablecloths and napkins; formal place settings; floral arrangements cool enough to make an Ikea stylist weep. And a well-heeled clientele, dressed to the nines and making their way through several unhurried courses.

You’d never guess – would you? – that today’s photo was taken in the restaurant at Dublin Airport in spring 1953.

www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/whe ... 7?mode=amp

—-

Flight out of Belfast nosedived 500ft due to 'autopilot setting'

A Flybe flight plummeted 500 feet in 18 seconds after an incorrect autopilot setting caused it to aim for the ground, an investigation has found.

Forty-four passengers and four crew were on board the flight from Belfast City Airport to Glasgow Airport when the incident occurred shortly after take-off on January 11.

A report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) stated that autopilot was engaged when the Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 turboprop plane reached an altitude of 1,350ft.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/n ... 04384.html
 
Phen
Posts: 269
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:05 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:33 pm

kaitak wrote:
Interesting range ring for the A321XLR, currently under development by Airbus and being considered by EI:

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?R=4700nm%40DUB

This would bring significantly more cities into consideration for Aer Lingus.

I would take such published ranges with a large pinch of salt. When you load the aircraft with 12-16 heavy business class seats, pax plus their bags and cargo on top your range will often be nowhere near published. Manufacturers are often over-enthusiastic when it comes to these figures.

VFRonTop wrote:
It also opens up The entire Indian subcontinent for NA connections as well as PEK

India is highly unlikely but DUB-PEK in an A321 will never happen.
 
BrianDromey
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:23 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:17 pm

The XLR would be good for EI, but the stated range will be ambitious for real-world operations. There would be a problem with reduced cargo volume as well as ability to haul it.

Someone mentioned retiring the A330s in favour of an XLR fleet. I don’t think two or three daily flights to LAX, SFO, etc is really necessary. If EI joins the Trans Atlantic JV frequency for connections will matter even less, given there would be options over London, Madrid, Barcelona, Helsinki, etc. The A330s are fantastic aircraft for EIs network and will be complemented fantasitlly by the LR - but I can’t see them replacing the 330s.
 
BestWestern
Posts: 8335
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2000 8:46 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Dublin Beijing with Hainan for €380. But for the pollution, Beijing is a must see.

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/dubl ... roundtrip/
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.
 
stratocruiser
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:41 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Really interesting GC map ... EI could dump the A330s over time ... and go for frequency at LAX, SFO ... multiple pushes at DUB , morning and afternoon ... A321LR really is the perfect EI aircraft


I can’t see why EI would ever dump the A330s in favour of the A321LRs on any of their existing routes, apart from perhaps on one or two during the low winter season, but the extra range of the A321XLR over the A321LR might allow them to develop some new destinations such as DEN which would be outside the range of the 321LR but not the XLR and for which the capacity of the A330 might initially be too high.

The ‘range ring’ is definitely interesting but I would think this is for zero-wind conditions and, with the prevailing winds, I suspect that west coast destinations like LAX and SFO, even if they were to be considered for the A321, would at best be marginal when flown westbound.
 
EIDL
Posts: 884
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:11 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
Aer Lingus have issued a press release stating AerClub now has 1 million members. 450,000 Irish members, 267,000 US members and 152,000 members from across Europe and the UK, which is interesting.

The person who is the 1 millionth member received 240,000 Avios, a Platinum card, and a €500 shopping trip and personal styling session at Kildare Village. I would have loved to have won that! :)


I've known her for years and I'm fairly sure I was telling her to sign up to Gold Circle even as she flies a lot. Just as well she ignored me for years!
 
irelandplane201
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:18 pm

I just saw on wikipedia air india is starting flights from dublin to Hyderabad on 1 July but no reference though
 
eicvd
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:51 pm

irelandplane201 wrote:
I just saw on wikipedia air india is starting flights from dublin to Hyderabad on 1 July but no reference though

Completely false
COYBIB
 
Galwayman
Posts: 748
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:20 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:08 pm

stratocruiser wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
Really interesting GC map ... EI could dump the A330s over time ... and go for frequency at LAX, SFO ... multiple pushes at DUB , morning and afternoon ... A321LR really is the perfect EI aircraft


I can’t see why EI would ever dump the A330s in favour of the A321LRs on any of their existing routes, apart from perhaps on one or two during the low winter season, but the extra range of the A321XLR over the A321LR might allow them to develop some new destinations such as DEN which would be outside the range of the 321LR but not the XLR and for which the capacity of the A330 might initially be too high.

The ‘range ring’ is definitely interesting but I would think this is for zero-wind conditions and, with the prevailing winds, I suspect that west coast destinations like LAX and SFO, even if they were to be considered for the A321, would at best be marginal when flown westbound.


Because frequency trumps volume in revenue always
 
embraer420
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:03 pm

eicvd wrote:
irelandplane201 wrote:
I just saw on wikipedia air india is starting flights from dublin to Hyderabad on 1 July but no reference though

Completely false

When was this I can't seem to find it. Another reminder to be cautious when it comes to Wikipedia.


And the troll that put that there must be pretty dumb to think that Air India would fly from Dublin to Hyderabad and not Delhi.
 
mast2407
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:15 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:23 am

irelandplane201 wrote:
I just saw on wikipedia air india is starting flights from dublin to Hyderabad on 1 July but no reference though


Where on wiki did you see this? Link please, as I have gone through the Dublin airport, Hyderabad airport and Air India pages and cannot find any such thing.
 
planemanofnz
Posts: 4299
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:18 am

mast2407 wrote:
irelandplane201 wrote:
I just saw on wikipedia air india is starting flights from dublin to Hyderabad on 1 July but no reference though


Where on wiki did you see this? Link please, as I have gone through the Dublin airport, Hyderabad airport and Air India pages and cannot find any such thing.

Surely they'd fly to DUB from DEL first, or maybe BOM?

Cheers,

C.
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5320
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:01 am

Galwayman wrote:
stratocruiser wrote:
Galwayman wrote:
Really interesting GC map ... EI could dump the A330s over time ... and go for frequency at LAX, SFO ... multiple pushes at DUB , morning and afternoon ... A321LR really is the perfect EI aircraft


I can’t see why EI would ever dump the A330s in favour of the A321LRs on any of their existing routes, apart from perhaps on one or two during the low winter season, but the extra range of the A321XLR over the A321LR might allow them to develop some new destinations such as DEN which would be outside the range of the 321LR but not the XLR and for which the capacity of the A330 might initially be too high.

The ‘range ring’ is definitely interesting but I would think this is for zero-wind conditions and, with the prevailing winds, I suspect that west coast destinations like LAX and SFO, even if they were to be considered for the A321, would at best be marginal when flown westbound.


Because frequency trumps volume in revenue always

No, it really doesn't, at least not when it comes to the all important profit.

Revenue is just one part of the puzzle that makes a route profitable. Firstly, swapping a daily A333 for a twice daily A321 on the west coast would be grossly inefficient. Even if the A321XLR could reach the west coast, it would be far from optimised for those missions, no matter how much tweaking Airbus do. The A330 on the other hand is perfect for them, it has the cargo and passenger capacity desired and a near unbeatable combination of fuel efficiency, operating costs and purchase costs that has made it such a success for Aer Lingus for over 20 years. Secondly, replacing one flight with two means you've pretty much doubled every aspect of your operating cost on a route, you've now got double the airport costs, double crew costs, an additional fuel bill, another set of taxes to pay, another hotel bill for crew etc. The revenue gain from the two flights would need to be seriously big to compensate the additional costs involved.

These days the A333 can comfortably reach the west cost with incredible efficiency and Aer Lingus will continue to take full advantage of that, load factors are high and there is zero desire to split that across two flights.

Now, additional frequency is a completely different story, this is where the A321LR and potential XLR variant is likely to find itself in addition to starting new, thinner east coast routes. We've already seen a prime example of this with the 3rd daily JFK flight a few years back on the 757, adding an additional flight to complement rather than replace an A330 service is far more realistic in terms of profit. The only reason the 3rd JFK flight was dropped is because the 757 was needed elsewhere and the introduction of a daily EWR essentially negated the need for it.

The A330s are here to stay, and with additional orders confirmed by IAG, it'll continue to form the backbone of Aer Lingus' long haul operation well into the next decade. The A321s will have their own important role to play, it will act as an introductory aircraft, specialise on thinner routes and provide additional frequency on trunk A330 routes if and when required.
 
EI121
Posts: 230
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Re: Irish 11/18: Sciathain na Samhain

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:05 pm

The Commission of Aviation Regulation has released daa's Capital Investment Programme for 2020+

https://www.aviationreg.ie/_fileupload/ ... 020%20.pdf

Key points:
- Pier 5 in T2
- Expanded US CBP Facilities
- Move Terminal 1′s central security from the ground floor to the mezzanine level, while keeping Fast Track at existing location
- A fast-track arrivals service for T1 and T2
- Potential of jetways on Pier 1 and 2
- T2 check in to expand by eliminating ticket desks and using technology advancements (Automated check in and bag drop)
- Enlarged Food and Beverage facilities post CBP
- Expansion of the West Apron area and include a tunnel under 16/34

Thoughts?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos