Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLYKTPA

Re: Turkish Aviation November 2018

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:20 pm

Any idea when U.S. growth will resume? I’m thinking cities like SEA, DEN and DTW have to be at the top of the list. Other cities I could see Turkish add over the next decade include MCO, SAN, LAS, PHL, MSP, TPA and maybe RDU, AUS and PIT. I assume that when they add a new U.S. destinations they look at how much traffic to Asia and Eastern Europe they have.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

mafaky

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:56 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
Any idea when U.S. growth will resume? I’m thinking cities like SEA, DEN and DTW have to be at the top of the list. Other cities I could see Turkish add over the next decade include MCO, SAN, LAS, PHL, MSP, TPA and maybe RDU, AUS and PIT. I assume that when they add a new U.S. destinations they look at how much traffic to Asia and Eastern Europe they have.

Well, the very first pre-requisite is that the recently opened (New) Istanbul Airport should obtain the green light following the TSA survey and control. This is still pending; possibly to be done in December 2018.

The first three destinations you mention, plus a few more from the second choice of alternatives may start with the introduction of the newcoming 789s and 359s (789 deliveries starting by mid 2019, 359 deliveries practically a year later) and with no 77W's being retired or pulled out from North American routes (unless replaced by789s/359s) but not earlier!... TK has to look out for the right traffic potential from these destinations as the actual O & D traffic will be pretty low for such capacity wide bodies. So TK has to ensure Israeli, Iranian, Indian, Pakistani origin travellers from the said USA locations, to open up new routes from North America and the USA.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

gokmengs

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:10 pm

[url][/url]
globetrotter94 wrote:
gokmengs wrote:
AirbusA343 wrote:
TC-JMM is finally back in service!

Is that the frame that got its fin cut up by the OZ 777? If thats the plane thats a hell of a quick job by Turkish Technic

For what it's worth, it was an OZ A333, not a 777.

I stand corrected:)
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:39 am

Hello everyone, just landed at JFK from a long day of flying on TK; DXB-IST-JFK both on 77W Business Class seat 6A.
First leg on TC-JJM "Marmara" 7.7 years old. 41J 284Y on board. At 7am DXB Terminal 1 looked like a ghost town compared to IST.
There were at least 20 planes landing in front of us at IST, we did a nice Istanbul tour at 15,000 feet.
2 hour layover at IST; INT transfer was terrible. While it was my turn to go through the Xray and security, the machine broke. Security guys don't have the language skills to direct pax to the other two lines, chaos. Oh, heavy doze of body odor and no A.C.
Lounge was crazy busy again, "pide wars" was at full force, the cook said they lost 3 guys at pide combat today :) (So funny!!! he was joking)
JFK-IST was on TC-JJR "Erciyes" 4.5 yrs old. 48J 300Y.
About the service on board; TK has to make changes and cut the food service down or find other solutions. It is nonstop from the moment you enter the plane; amenity kits, newspapers, menus, headsets, wet towels, drinks with nuts, plate of appetizers, then appetizer tray/soup, more drinks, main course, dessert tray, coffee/tea service, after meal drinks, turn down service, water bottle service...By the time this is done we are over CPH. Constant movement of FA's, trays/carts back and forth, it is tiring, not only for the FA's but for the pax. Over CPH, I went to sleep and forced myself not to get up until 30 min before landing. And as usual they kept the cabin too warm :(

LAXintl

Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:04 am

Reported new biz class seat to be introduced with 787 in 2019. 1-2-1 config

http://i.hurimg.com/i/mhurriyet/75/770x ... 0e80d14a41

Its the Aurora series by Collins Aerospace (formerly B/E)
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

aldrigsomandre

Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 am

The post above doesn't have a source. I'm guessing it's the following:

http://www.kokpit.aero/iste-thy-nin-yen ... ass-koltuk

Looks great btw, I wonder if TK will be keeping the colour scheme.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks for the links, looks great.
It never bothered me to have 2-3-2 seating in the Business Class, but for the first time; last night I saw 3 pax that are not related seated in the middle 3 and the lady in the middle had to climb over the sleeping pax every single time she had to use the aisles and it was not fun.
So, now I see the problem and looking forward to the 1-2-1 layout.

HeyTK

Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:05 pm

TC-LSA A321Neo is stuck at Brussels for 4 days now.. Technical problems with the engines. They are waiting for a replacement engine.

http://www.kokpit.aero//image/data/THY/a321neo/thy%20a321neo%20motor.jpg

mafaky

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm

@ TK787:

As you are a very frequent flyer between JFK and mostly IST, and also mostly in business class and your flights are mostly on 77W: what's the chance that you are obliged to get imprisoned on the middle seat of the 2-3-2 row?

If, TK decides to refurbish 77W business cabins and switch over to a 2-2-2 config. (I'm totally hopeless on the 1-2-1 type config.) with more modern, ergonomic and comfortable business class seats, will they be losing a major revenue by decreasing the business cabin to 42 seats from 49?

Thanks for your and others' opinions.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:13 am

mafaky wrote:
@ TK787:

As you are a very frequent flyer between JFK and mostly IST, and also mostly in business class and your flights are mostly on 77W: what's the chance that you are obliged to get imprisoned on the middle seat of the 2-3-2 row?

If, TK decides to refurbish 77W business cabins and switch over to a 2-2-2 config. (I'm totally hopeless on the 1-2-1 type config.) with more modern, ergonomic and comfortable business class seats, will they be losing a major revenue by decreasing the business cabin to 42 seats from 49?

It would be a tough call, but it is possible. Let's see the cabin width numbers for TK's future wide-body aircraft: (53-54cm; Business Class seat width)
77W cabins are 5,86m, 2-3-2 layout
333 cabins are 5,26m, 2-2-2 layout
789 cabins are 5,49m, 1-2-1 layout
359 cabins are 5,61m, 1-2-1 layout

TK's 2-3-2 layout on its 77Ws ( A,B-D,E,G-J,K) is fine in my opinion. You can choose your seat months in advance and don't get stuck in the middle. When I travel alone, I prefer 6D or 6G for aisle access. TK Business Class passengers are usually NOT individuals traveling for business. It is mostly couples/families, this is my observation.
Even when I was upgraded last minute at the airport, I never ended up in the middle seat. I guess I've been lucky. I think the number of pax traveling alone and getting stuck in the middle seat is very small.

mict

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:23 am

mafaky wrote:
@ TK787:

Switching to 2-2-2 doesn't mean they will loose 1 row per seat, they might add more rows with the new seat design.

Example: AC puts 28 seats in 1-2-1 on their 77W between door 1 and 2 (they fit 7 rows!). Equivalently, TK also puts 28 seats between door 1 and 2 on their 77W in 2-3-2 (Only 4 rows).

MeCe

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:23 am

mict wrote:
mafaky wrote:
@ TK787:

Switching to 2-2-2 doesn't mean they will loose 1 row per seat, they might add more rows with the new seat design.

Example: AC puts 28 seats in 1-2-1 on their 77W between door 1 and 2 (they fit 7 rows!). Equivalently, TK also puts 28 seats between door 1 and 2 on their 77W in 2-3-2 (Only 4 rows).

But this is herringbone layout which is extremely unpopular for TK pax. I heard lots of complaints for this layout.

TK105

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:35 am

As TK787 mentioned, TK is a family airline. Conventional layout is more suitable for families. Solo businessmen traveller use TK in the lower percentage. Therefore I think herringbone will not fit for TK.
The future is in the skies.

mict

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:42 am

MeCe wrote:
mict wrote:
mafaky wrote:
@ TK787:

But this is herringbone layout which is extremely unpopular for TK pax. I heard lots of complaints for this layout.

I was just giving that as an example, same density can be achieved in other configs. If I remember correctly, the QSuites from QR have about the same seat density than their herringbone seats and QSuites are family friendly.
BTW I am not bashing on TK's current seat, I have flown in it multiple times and I enjoy the amount of space, just providing some insights into other possible configurations.

gokmengs

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:59 am

The new J product looks great, I think it will be tough for TK to convert the 777W's to 1-2-1 unless they do some creative landscaping and add more rows because thats a lot of revenue lost, I happen to think TK needs 2 configs for its 777's one with around 40 J seats to high premium markets. I fly J on TK and some routes are overbooked mainly the routes To US LAX etc.
Will this product be retrofitted to 777's and 330's if so when?
Thanks to all
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:45 pm

gokmengs wrote:
The new J product looks great, I think it will be tough for TK to convert the 777W's to 1-2-1 unless they do some creative landscaping and add more rows because thats a lot of revenue lost, I happen to think TK needs 2 configs for its 777's one with around 40 J seats to high premium markets. I fly J on TK and some routes are overbooked mainly the routes To US LAX etc.
Will this product be retrofitted to 777's and 330's if so when?
Thanks to all

AFAIK, 33 strong 77W fleet has 3 different Business seats. The one I flew DXB-IST older but newer design. Few, little differences, like the personal light fixtures are small and attached to the skin of the seat, separation between seats moves side to side, ottoman has a a lid and fully enclosed. Newer IST-JFK has two red cubby holes right next to the IFE screen... Stuff I can remember. I have no idea what the 3 x high capacity ex-Kenyan 77Ws J seats look like.

aldrigsomandre

Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:10 pm

Apparently, the Ethiopian service to Istanbul was delayed to to the Turkish authorities not issuing the necessary permits on time.
Way to go...

TK787
Topic Author

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:52 pm

Please continue here: Turkish Aviation December 2018
Moderators, please archive this thread since I've started a new one. Thank you.