Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetlanta

Re: Delta A330-900 routes

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:35 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
PotatoPappas wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
It's sad that Delta regressed so much under Anderson and Bastian. Delta started service to some exotic places in Europe, the middle East, and Africa in 2006/2007. These days the only new service we see is to AMS, CDG. I guess the A330 fits the bill for hub to hub flying and the poor folks who now to double connect. Pathetic.

What's pathetic is this comment.... Yes... DL is the leading US airline and they went backward... Anderson saved Delta, and Bastian is taking them to the future. They will do what makes economic sense. Get your head out of the old days, they're done, look toward the future.

There's no need to make things up. Gerald Grinstein is the CEO that got Delta through bankruptcy and back to profitability. Anderson came after Delta emerged. Stop revising history to fit your agenda.

And Glen Hauenstein has run Network the entire time. All of those fun destinations were his idea. That ones that have survived worked. The ones that didn't did not. He also built real hubs in JFK, LGA, LAX and SEA and opened intercontinental flying from non-hubs like IND and RDU.

Delta doesn't add too much crazy stuff anymore because it doesn't need to. Its network is the most mature of amongst the US majors. The risks it needed to take when facing extinction are no longer necessary.

VictorKilo

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:37 pm

I had not considered that the A339 would be a good choice for DTW-NGO - which is a sui generis route for Delta - driven by the front of the cabin instead of the back of the cabin, and at 6522 miles long, the longest route flown by the A332 today. But the way Delta has chosen to configure them per Wikipedia (29/28/40/184), the A339 is only 16 more seats in Economy as compared to the A332, with 31 more seats above Economy. If the A339 has the legs for DTW-NGO, it seems like a good choice for the structure of this route. Putting the A332 on longer B763 routes (SEA-PVG/PEK and flights to ACC and LOS) covers any of the longer routes DL has today and makes it more likely that DL will choose the NMA over the 789 for future smaller widebody usage.

spinotter

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:58 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
It's sad that Delta regressed so much under Anderson and Bastian. Delta started service to some exotic places in Europe, the middle East, and Africa in 2006/2007. These days the only new service we see is to AMS, CDG. I guess the A330 fits the bill for hub to hub flying and the poor folks who now to double connect. Pathetic.

Welcome to a.net and we can do without your constant b.s. and trolling.

Why is sharing an opinion trolling? My grandmother worked for Chicago & Southern Airlines and then Delta after they merged. You couldn't get any more opposite than DL and NW. I was sick to my stomach the day the merger was announced and the bad feeling has never left. I still have my Keep Delta My Delta button. That turned to be out an effort in vain.

Are you serious? This is the twenty-first century, may I remind you? However much DL and NW differed, they entered bankruptcy on the same day. And now look at Delta Air Lines. They kept the best from both of the old airlines. What are you lamenting about? Some of those exotic destinations did not work out. So what?

ocracoke

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:23 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
. To try and revise history is a slap in the face to the people who worked so hard...

Good advice....perhaps we should start with your posts:

TTailedTiger wrote:
Putting an A330 on something like TPA-AMS or JFK-STR will jist kill the route all together.

DL doesn’t fly JFK-STR.
TTailedTiger wrote:

. Previously you could fly something like MLB-ATL-AMM.

DL never even flew ATL-AMM.

TTailedTiger wrote:
These days the only new service we see is to AMS, CDG. I guess the A330 fits the bill for hub to hub flying and the poor folks who now to double connect. Pathetic.

So, MCO-GRU never happened? Nor MSP-KEF? DL never announced SEA-KIX, BOS-LIS, BOS-EDI, JFK-PDL?

deltal1011man wrote:
yikes, and I thought klm617 was bad. .

Almost could be the same person, though the grammar is much better, so probably not. Maybe it’s LHR001 coming back, though I think LHR001 is already back under a different name. Can’t be WorldTraveler; not written in a stately enough prose.

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark:

TransWorldOne wrote:

It is a bit sad to see UA and AA expand service to new and exciting destinations (PPT, AUK, DBV, MEL, TXL, BLQ, etc) while DL just adds more lift to JV partner hubs (AMS, CDG, LHR, ICN). I get that it is a sound strategy financially and has the airline making record profits. But you have to admit, it is quite boring and disappointing from an AV geeks perspective.

The big difference is that DL has been in “exciting” ( whatever that means) destinations for decades now. Places like STR (flown since the late 80s), or NCE (flown since 1991). There are cities that DL flys to today that no other US carriers flys to...JNB, LOS,DSS, ACC, AGP, PDL, etc etc etc. There are places that DL had all to itself for years (BCN, VCE) before other US carriers finally decided to join them. Sure, a few markets didn’t pan out (PSA, VLC), and some for political/economic reasons were stopped (BKK, SGN, CAI, SVO), but all in all, DL has a decent enough network of flights that don’t touch CDG or AMS.

Prost

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Going back to DL’s A339 order, have their been any hints that RR delays may delay delivery of the plane?

coronado

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:28 pm

coronado wrote:
I can see SEA-TL on a A339. Enough tech demand as well as tourism.

I meant to say SEA-TLV,This is an unserved route from Seattle to Israel with a lot of Tech business connections besides the large vibrant Jewish community in SEA. (and of course another sizeable Jewish community not too far down the road in Portland).

I think the A339 can handle this 6600nm route with a full load including reasonable cargo both ways in the typical Delta configuration.

[/url]http://blogs.seattletimes.com/fyi-guy/2015/02/02/seattles-jewish-population-jumped-by-70-percent-study-finds/
The Original Coronado: First CV jet flights RG CV 990 July 1965; DL CV 880 July 1965; Spantax CV990 Feb 1973

Prost

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:30 pm

I have a hard time believing SEA-TLV is high on the list. I’m concerned that DL is losing out on international flights with all of the foreign carriers coming in.

seabosdca

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:39 pm

coronado wrote:
I meant to say SEA-TLV,This is an unserved route from Seattle to Israel with a lot of Tech business connections besides the large vibrant Jewish community in SEA. (and of course another sizeable Jewish community not too far down the road in Portland).

I think the A339 can handle this 6600nm route with a full load including reasonable cargo both ways in the typical Delta configuration.

The market really isn't that big. TLV can support flights from JFK, MIA, LAX, and major hubs, and that's pretty much it.

6600 nm is well beyond the point where a 359 would be more efficient than a 339, and long enough to be a real challenge for the 339 to fly westbound without restrictions. In the vanishingly unlikely event that Delta were to start this route, the equipment would be either 359 or 772. Expect the 339 to fly mostly, if not only, routes between 3000 and 5000 nm.

FSDan

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:51 pm

ocracoke wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

It is a bit sad to see UA and AA expand service to new and exciting destinations (PPT, AUK, DBV, MEL, TXL, BLQ, etc) while DL just adds more lift to JV partner hubs (AMS, CDG, LHR, ICN). I get that it is a sound strategy financially and has the airline making record profits. But you have to admit, it is quite boring and disappointing from an AV geeks perspective.

The big difference is that DL has been in “exciting” ( whatever that means) destinations for decades now. Places like STR (flown since the late 80s), or NCE (flown since 1991). There are cities that DL flys to today that no other US carriers flys to...JNB, LOS, DSS, ACC, AGP, PDL, etc etc etc. There are places that DL had all to itself for years (BCN, VCE) before other US carriers finally decided to join them. Sure, a few markets didn’t pan out (PSA, VLC), and some for political/economic reasons were stopped (BKK, CAI, SVO), but all in all, DL has a decent enough network of flights that don’t touch CDG or AMS.

:checkmark:

You could also take the view that lately DL has simply reversed which side of the Atlantic the "exiting" destination is on. From the European perspective, having direct links to IND, TPA, RDU, etc. is more exciting than the standard LAX, MIA, and JFK...

Also, you definitely have ignored the niche destinations DL has been in for a while now. Look at PRG and ATH. UA and AA are just now getting there while DL has served those markets for years. And only DL has been able to sustain service to Africa.

And finally, you are singling DL out as having cut "exiting" destinations like KBP and VIE while ignoring the fact that AA and UA each have their own long haul destinations they've dropped in recent years. AA: LPB, ASU, CNF, REC, SSA, GLA, BRU, TLV... UA: BFS, NCL, BHX, BRS, OSL, CPH, HAM... Every airline keeps the routes that work, and drops those than don't.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

PotatoPappas
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:00 pm

FSDan wrote:
ocracoke wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

The big difference is that DL has been in “exciting” ( whatever that means) destinations for decades now. Places like STR (flown since the late 80s), or NCE (flown since 1991). There are cities that DL flys to today that no other US carriers flys to...JNB, LOS, DSS, ACC, AGP, PDL, etc etc etc. There are places that DL had all to itself for years (BCN, VCE) before other US carriers finally decided to join them. Sure, a few markets didn’t pan out (PSA, VLC), and some for political/economic reasons were stopped (BKK, CAI, SVO), but all in all, DL has a decent enough network of flights that don’t touch CDG or AMS.

:checkmark:

Wow its refreshing to see people on airliners with their heads on straight....
You could also take the view that lately DL has simply reversed which side of the Atlantic the "exiting" destination is on. From the European perspective, having direct links to IND, TPA, RDU, etc. is more exciting than the standard LAX, MIA, and JFK...

Also, you definitely have ignored the niche destinations DL has been in for a while now. Look at PRG and ATH. UA and AA are just now getting there while DL has served those markets for years. And only DL has been able to sustain service to Africa.

And finally, you are singling DL out as having cut "exiting" destinations like KBP and VIE while ignoring the fact that AA and UA each have their own long haul destinations they've dropped in recent years. AA: LPB, ASU, CNF, REC, SSA, GLA, BRU, TLV... UA: BFS, NCL, BHX, BRS, OSL, CPH, HAM... Every airline keeps the routes that work, and drops those than don't.

FSDan

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:06 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I don't care about Delta's finances.

Obviously...

TTailedTiger wrote:
The fact is that I no longer have as many non-stop international flights on Delta.

I'm pretty sure that statement is incorrect. DL has started way more international flights (and increased frequencies) than they've cut in recent years. If you're specifically focusing on European/Middle Eastern flying as opposed to all international flying, you should state that.

TTailedTiger wrote:
I shouldn't have to connect in Europe.

Why not? The reality is that when enough people feel that way about a given city pair and are willing to back up their sentiment by paying the fares to support the nonstop, the nonstop inevitably materializes. If there aren't enough people or if they're not willing to pay fares that sustain the service, why shouldn't you have to connect?

TTailedTiger wrote:
Previously you could fly something like MLB-ATL-AMM. Now you have to fly MLB-ATL-CDG-AMM. That is regressing in my opinion.

Ignoring the fact that you could never fly ATL-AMM nonstop on DL, would that really be regressing if no one flew that routing in the first place? What's the annual (heck, even the 10-year) passenger volume between MLB and AMM?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

deltal1011man

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 pm

jetlanta wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
PotatoPappas wrote:

What's pathetic is this comment.... Yes... DL is the leading US airline and they went backward... Anderson saved Delta, and Bastian is taking them to the future. They will do what makes economic sense. Get your head out of the old days, they're done, look toward the future.

There's no need to make things up. Gerald Grinstein is the CEO that got Delta through bankruptcy and back to profitability. Anderson came after Delta emerged. Stop revising history to fit your agenda.

And Glen Hauenstein has run Network the entire time. All of those fun destinations were his idea. That ones that have survived worked. The ones that didn't did not. He also built real hubs in JFK, LGA, LAX and SEA and opened intercontinental flying from non-hubs like IND and RDU.

Delta doesn't add too much crazy stuff anymore because it doesn't need to. Its network is the most mature of amongst the US majors. The risks it needed to take when facing extinction are no longer necessary.

probably the actual MVP of Delta for all these years but Tiger will have some dumb excuse why he sucks. :roll:

Prost wrote:
I have a hard time believing SEA-TLV is high on the list. I’m concerned that DL is losing out on international flights with all of the foreign carriers coming in.
I think Delta is certainly being too conservative in Asia. HVCs simply aren't connecting in PVG or ICN to go to SIN and HKG like they apparently think they will.
Biggest mistake Anderson made and Ed continues to make is not having the right airplane to develop markets that weren't strong for NW/don't have a partner airline in.

TTailedTiger

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:56 pm

AA737-823 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
I'm not even 30.

That much is clear to everyone in the forum.
There's a fine line between being technically correct and being a jerk.
Welcome to my ignored users list.
Happy posting!

That's kind of off base since I'm not the one throwing out insults. I was called an old man that was angry at the world. Neither are true. Then someone took a swipe at my IQ. You are directing your negativity at the wrong person. I don't make things personal. If you don't like an opinion just keep scrolling.

bkflyguy

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:30 pm

Does this board even have moderators anymore?

compensateme

Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 pm

bkflyguy wrote:

Kinda hard to keep up with all the trolls.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

OA412

Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:02 pm

bkflyguy wrote:

If you see offending posts, you need to report them. Moderators aren't tracking every single thread, so we don't always know there's a problem. Further, if we just start deleting posts without a user reporting them, everyone starts complaining of over-moderation. Let people hash things out, and people complain about a lack of moderation. It is what it is. But again, the best way to get our attention is to hit the report post button.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Oilman

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 pm

Why would Delta put a 339 vs a 333 on a route?

compensateme

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:51 pm

ojjunior wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
I think theyll do DTW-NGO and GRU with the 339, because at least it can route something like ATL-GRU-DTW-NGO-DTW-GRU-ATL.

Agreed.
Actually I understand DL has now upgauged it's JFK-GRU service from 763 to A333 having now 2 daily A333 services in/out GRU so I also think it's just a matter of time before seeing the A339 around GRU.

GRU requires an aircraft to sit 12-15 hours - I doubt DL’s in a hurry to operate the type there anytime soon...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

BravoEchoNov

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:33 am

Oilman wrote:
Why would Delta put a 339 vs a 333 on a route?

I think for the first few frames the A339 will be preferred on Asian routes to have a consistent product on all Asia flights.

As more and more A339s are delivered we will begin to see Delta put them on routes where economics benefit the A339 over the A333.

cessna2

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:43 am

LAX772LR wrote:
panamair wrote:
cessna2 wrote:
DL's 330NEO's will only hold 281.
So does this mean they will be getting D1 suites, Premium Select, Comfort Plus and regular coach?

IINM, aircraft with Premium Select won't feature Y+

That is not correct. The A330NEO will be the first aircraft to have Premium Select and Y+. Source is from DL memo to the pilots.

crazyplane1234

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:25 am

If DL decides that the A333/A339 size bracket is too much capacity for 763 routes, they always have the option of putting the A339 on A332 routes, and the A332 on 763 routes.

jethawk

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:50 am

777Mech wrote:
papatango wrote:
When does Delta receive their first A330-900?

April 2019.

Delivery isn't occurring until 2020. Delta is waiting for the 251 t variant.

TTailedTiger

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:21 am

crazyplane1234 wrote:
If DL decides that the A333/A339 size bracket is too much capacity for 763 routes, they always have the option of putting the A339 on A332 routes, and the A332 on 763 routes.

They only have 11 A332s and they have 58 763ER.

hkcanadaexpat

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:28 am

jethawk wrote:
777Mech wrote:
papatango wrote:
When does Delta receive their first A330-900?

April 2019.

Delivery isn't occurring until 2020. Delta is waiting for the 251 t variant.

Wrong. First delivery in April 2019. Second in May 2019. Two more in the Fall 2019.

peanuts

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:12 pm

OA412 wrote:
bkflyguy wrote:

If you see offending posts, you need to report them. Moderators aren't tracking every single thread, so we don't always know there's a problem. Further, if we just start deleting posts without a user reporting them, everyone starts complaining of over-moderation. Let people hash things out, and people complain about a lack of moderation. It is what it is. But again, the best way to get our attention is to hit the report post button.

Thank you!
Hashing things out works just fine. Over moderation would kill the motivation for well reasoned rebuttals on here.

frigatebird

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:25 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Just put him on your ignore list. I never put a member so soon after joining A-net on my ignore list.
146,318/19/20/21, AB6,332,333,343,345,346,359,388, 722,732/3/4/5/G/8,9, 742,74E,744,752,762,763, 772,77E,773,77W,788 AT4/7,ATP,CRK,E75/90,F50/70

tlecam

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:55 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
tlecam wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I'm not even 30. You said Anderson saved Delta. That isn't true no matter how you try and spin it.

IQ or age?

Lackluster aircraft...that commands a revenue premium over peers.

Regressed... into a successful, profitable airline with investment grade rating from S&P, Moodys etc...

I don’t think the words you’re using mean what you think they do.

I don't care about Delta's finances. I don't invest in airlines. The fact is that I no longer have as many non-stop international flights on Delta. I shouldn't have to connect in Europe. And many people now have to double connect. Previously you could fly something like MLB-ATL-AMM. Now you have to fly MLB-ATL-CDG-AMM. That is regressing in my opinion.

And the A330neo is a lackluster aircraft. The order book is dry and the lessors are spooked. Even Hawaiian who had pretty much kicked Boeing to the curb had to say enough is enough. It's the same thing that happens with the 757-300 and A340-500/600.

You mentioned that you aren't 30 yet. Are you a kid? If so, then this thought process is somewhat understandable. For an adult, this is incredibly immature tantrum. I want to fly to ABC in one stop and I don't care if it's economically feasible for Delta to operate that route or not! THat's what I want! Wah!
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

OA940

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:26 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
tlecam wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

I'm not even 30. You said Anderson saved Delta. That isn't true no matter how you try and spin it.

IQ or age?

Lackluster aircraft...that commands a revenue premium over peers.

Regressed... into a successful, profitable airline with investment grade rating from S&P, Moodys etc...

I don’t think the words you’re using mean what you think they do.

I don't care about Delta's finances. I don't invest in airlines. The fact is that I no longer have as many non-stop international flights on Delta. I shouldn't have to connect in Europe. And many people now have to double connect. Previously you could fly something like MLB-ATL-AMM. Now you have to fly MLB-ATL-CDG-AMM. That is regressing in my opinion.

And the A330neo is a lackluster aircraft. The order book is dry and the lessors are spooked. Even Hawaiian who had pretty much kicked Boeing to the curb had to say enough is enough. It's the same thing that happens with the 757-300 and A340-500/600.

Do you even do logic? Delta won't fly routes just because some butthurt keyboard warrior wants to. If they worked like they used to they'd join the likes of Primera, Pan Am and tons of others. And for the record why don't you offer a way they can do ATL-AMM profitably?

Also because airlines haven't ordered the A330neo yet doesn't mean it's a bad aircraft. Perhaps its predecessor hasn't aged all that much yet.......? Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe??????????
A350/CSeries = bae

N766UA

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:26 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
I think they will have too many unless they are starting 772 retirements. The A330ceo's aren't old enough to be retired and the 339 is too big to replace the 767. Even some Asia routes can only support a 767.

I have an uncle that is a hoarder. He says he just can't pass up a good deal. DL is the same with old generation and lackluster aircraft. It's not a good deal if you can't use it. Putting an A330 on something like TPA-AMS or JFK-STR will jist kill the route all together.

If Delta’s a hoarder, they’re the wealthiest hoarder in the history of hoarding. You could hoard Ty Cobb rookie cards and not even come close...

lavalampluva

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Isn't the 339 about as close to the 747 (based on seating capacity) as the DL fleet gets?
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

DylanHarvey

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:38 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Isn't the 339 about as close to the 747 (based on seating capacity) as the DL fleet gets?

No, the A339neo will seat 281, the A333 seats 293, 77L is 296 after full refurbishment, and the A359 is 306. The 744 was around 376 IIRC. They struggled to fill the 744 often, so the A359 is the sweet spot for “high capacity” for DL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos