Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
TropicalSky
Topic Author
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acr5HIEVADs

Seems like yesterday all is this transpired.....the global landscape in aviation has changed tremendously since,with other mergers and an overall healthy aviation sector in competition & revenue
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 817
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 pm

Ten years and two days, in fact.

I'm wearing my Northwest tie today. The merger was not exciting for all of us--while better economic security and a broader network were great, relocating away from a city I liked for fewer career prospects than before (fewer headquarters jobs available) was not fun.
 
tpaewr
Posts: 724
Joined: Sat May 19, 2001 9:01 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:51 pm

simairlinenet wrote:
Ten years and two days, in fact.

I'm wearing my Northwest tie today. The merger was not exciting for all of us--while better economic security and a broader network were great, relocating away from a city I liked for fewer career prospects than before (fewer headquarters jobs available) was not fun.



I suspect if it was up to the employees most of us would likely vote to reverse it all. But it does have benefits too.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:56 pm

At least the resulting product turned out much better than the two other big carrier marriages have. DL seems to have handled their NE, WA, and WA mergers better than most carriers have.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
winginit
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:58 pm

tpaewr wrote:
simairlinenet wrote:
Ten years and two days, in fact.

I'm wearing my Northwest tie today. The merger was not exciting for all of us--while better economic security and a broader network were great, relocating away from a city I liked for fewer career prospects than before (fewer headquarters jobs available) was not fun.



I suspect if it was up to the employees most of us would likely vote to reverse it all. But it does have benefits too.


Really? How quickly we put on our rose colored glasses when looking to the past. No doors on the men's room stalls? Hostile relations between office staff and FAs? Near constant job and financial insecurity? Are we remembering all of that?

I spent a good bit of time in NW's MSP office between 2003 and 2005 and it was one of the most dejected aviation head offices I'd ever seen. Maybe on the inside the attitudes were different, but it certainly didn't show.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8515
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:02 pm

winginit wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
simairlinenet wrote:
Ten years and two days, in fact.

I'm wearing my Northwest tie today. The merger was not exciting for all of us--while better economic security and a broader network were great, relocating away from a city I liked for fewer career prospects than before (fewer headquarters jobs available) was not fun.



I suspect if it was up to the employees most of us would likely vote to reverse it all. But it does have benefits too.


Really? How quickly we put on our rose colored glasses when looking to the past. No doors on the men's room stalls? Hostile relations between office staff and FAs? Near constant financial insecurity? Are we remembering all of that?

I spent a good bit of time in NW's MSP office between 2003 and 2005 and it was one of the most dejected aviation head offices I'd ever seen. Maybe on the inside the attitudes were different, but it certainly didn't show.



I’d heard about this


No doors on the rest room stalls ?!


Amazing
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:23 pm

tpaewr wrote:
simairlinenet wrote:
Ten years and two days, in fact.

I'm wearing my Northwest tie today. The merger was not exciting for all of us--while better economic security and a broader network were great, relocating away from a city I liked for fewer career prospects than before (fewer headquarters jobs available) was not fun.



I suspect if it was up to the employees most of us would likely vote to reverse it all. But it does have benefits too.


The only real winners in consolidation were the investors other wise for the most part everyone else lost. Most middle to small markets have far less competition than they did before meaning higher fares and less attractive schedules for a lot of travels now to make out of the way journeys to get to their destination. Airlines now can pretty much manipulate 80% of the markets they fly into now to satisfy their needs rather than the needs of the customer. Workers have lost out getting their work loads increased and there are more low paying jobs in the US airline industry than their ever have been being about 50% of the US3 traffic is carried by regionals. Award travel is no longer worth the loyalty to any airline alliance.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:25 pm

winginit wrote:
tpaewr wrote:
simairlinenet wrote:
Ten years and two days, in fact.

I'm wearing my Northwest tie today. The merger was not exciting for all of us--while better economic security and a broader network were great, relocating away from a city I liked for fewer career prospects than before (fewer headquarters jobs available) was not fun.



I suspect if it was up to the employees most of us would likely vote to reverse it all. But it does have benefits too.


Really? How quickly we put on our rose colored glasses when looking to the past. No doors on the men's room stalls? Hostile relations between office staff and FAs? Near constant job and financial insecurity? Are we remembering all of that?

I spent a good bit of time in NW's MSP office between 2003 and 2005 and it was one of the most dejected aviation head offices I'd ever seen. Maybe on the inside the attitudes were different, but it certainly didn't show.


Is that just your opinion or can you provide a link to state that that was going on ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
winginit
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:29 pm

klm617 wrote:
The only real winners in consolidation were the investors other wise for the most part everyone else lost.


I'd argue that the thousands of employees who didn't lose their jobs on account of their employers being liquidated won out... and make no mistake, that was the alternative instead of consolidation.

klm617 wrote:
Most middle to small markets have far less competition than they did before meaning higher fares


Give a specific example please, because when adjusted for inflation airfares are in many cases much lower than they were pre-consolidation (mid-2000s)

klm617 wrote:
Workers have lost out getting their work loads increased and there are more low paying jobs in the US airline industry than their ever have been being about 50% of the US3 traffic is carried by regionals. Award travel is no longer worth the loyalty to any airline alliance.


Regional pilots and flight attendants are getting paid much more now than they were pre-consolidation.

klm617 wrote:
winginit wrote:
tpaewr wrote:


I suspect if it was up to the employees most of us would likely vote to reverse it all. But it does have benefits too.


Really? How quickly we put on our rose colored glasses when looking to the past. No doors on the men's room stalls? Hostile relations between office staff and FAs? Near constant job and financial insecurity? Are we remembering all of that?

I spent a good bit of time in NW's MSP office between 2003 and 2005 and it was one of the most dejected aviation head offices I'd ever seen. Maybe on the inside the attitudes were different, but it certainly didn't show.


Is that just your opinion or can you provide a link to state that that was going on ?


I was in the building as stated. I'm the primary source - no link required. That's how I know.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8170
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:41 pm

Wow this thread turned Debbie-Downer fast.

I can agree with the PMNW headquarters employees who either had to relocate and/or find another job, the overall end result is as good or better than most could envision.

You can’t ignore all of the other global/national/regional/local economic factors and external influences that have impacted the industry merger or not.

It’s also very unlikely either DL and particularly NW would have continued on as a stand-alone airline. The resulting outcome has kept the core of NW intact, far better than would have happened with other potential merger partners.
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 3498
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:50 pm

The merger announcement day was a sad one. When I was a kid all I wanted to do was fly for NW. My parents both did 100,000+ miles a year on them, and it was like a second home when I was onboard one of their aircraft. I fell in love with aviation thanks to two NW pilots on an A320 in BOS. Will forever have a special place in my heart.

But with that being said, I'm happy to be a DL FF now, and have a strong stable airline that can fly me just about anywhere I need to go. It's a great testament to the people from both companies, and I look forward to being a DL flier for years to come.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
User avatar
NamGunner
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:36 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:06 am

I was Northwest Gold.
I have never gotten on a Delta plane since the merger.
Never will, either.
Just being hardheaded, I guess.
----------------------------
'Gunner
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 am

winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
The only real winners in consolidation were the investors other wise for the most part everyone else lost.


I'd argue that the thousands of employees who didn't lose their jobs on account of their employers being liquidated won out... and make no mistake, that was the alternative instead of consolidation.

klm617 wrote:
Most middle to small markets have far less competition than they did before meaning higher fares


Give a specific example please, because when adjusted for inflation airfares are in many cases much lower than they were pre-consolidation (mid-2000s)

klm617 wrote:
Workers have lost out getting their work loads increased and there are more low paying jobs in the US airline industry than their ever have been being about 50% of the US3 traffic is carried by regionals. Award travel is no longer worth the loyalty to any airline alliance.


Regional pilots and flight attendants are getting paid much more now than they were pre-consolidation.

klm617 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Really? How quickly we put on our rose colored glasses when looking to the past. No doors on the men's room stalls? Hostile relations between office staff and FAs? Near constant job and financial insecurity? Are we remembering all of that?

I spent a good bit of time in NW's MSP office between 2003 and 2005 and it was one of the most dejected aviation head offices I'd ever seen. Maybe on the inside the attitudes were different, but it certainly didn't show.


Is that just your opinion or can you provide a link to state that that was going on ?


I was in the building as stated. I'm the primary source - no link required. That's how I know.



PLN, MKG, TOL, FNT, LAN, AZO, MBS, OMA, DSM, DAY, PIT, CVG, MEM, MKE Need I go on. So it's just your option there perhaps other employees were perfectly OK with the work environment so those aren't facts just your perspective. Yes there was a choice to suck it up and fall into line or be unemployed. Then why do the regional suffer from staffing issues and high employee turnover and poor onto performance compared to their mainline counter parts.. Compare air fares adjusted to inflation along with employee wages and then maybe your argument would be valid that's just smoke and mirrors that air fares are cheaper now than they were in the 80s and early 90s all in prices with 2 pieces of luggage, seat assignment and ample legroom are not cheaper today than they were back then.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
GoneSovereign
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:13 am

And to think just a few years earlier, U.S. Airways tried to convince Delta's creditors to approve a takeover of the airline.
New York City Area
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Wow this thread turned Debbie-Downer fast.

I can agree with the PMNW headquarters employees who either had to relocate and/or find another job, the overall end result is as good or better than most could envision.

You can’t ignore all of the other global/national/regional/local economic factors and external influences that have impacted the industry merger or not.

It’s also very unlikely either DL and particularly NW would have continued on as a stand-alone airline. The resulting outcome has kept the core of NW intact, far better than would have happened with other potential merger partners.


I doubt that Delta has kept stagnant or reduced all the former Northwest hubs in favor of propping up the Delta network. CVG was on it's way out when Delta started bleeding money so for Delta it was kind of a necessary evil proven by the fact that it was turned into a regional jet hub for the most part. SLC and ATL have all showed significant gain while DTW and MSP are pretty much held in check with very little growth.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:18 am

I think NW/CO would have faired much better than DL/NW
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
TropicalSky
Topic Author
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:19 am

The infamous "Keep Delta My Delta"

GoneSovereign wrote:
And to think just a few years earlier, U.S. Airways tried to convince Delta's creditors to approve a takeover of the airline.
 
User avatar
GoneSovereign
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:23 am

TropicalSky wrote:
The infamous "Keep Delta My Delta"

GoneSovereign wrote:
And to think just a few years earlier, U.S. Airways tried to convince Delta's creditors to approve a takeover of the airline.


The rally in front of the old Crystal City HQs was a nice touch. :stirthepot:
New York City Area
 
winginit
Posts: 2973
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:25 am

klm617 wrote:
PLN, MKG, TOL, FNT, LAN, AZO, MBS, OMA, DSM, DAY, PIT, CVG, MEM, MKE Need I go on.


In many cases - you're wrong. I just punched many of those cities into this resource and most show airfares in 2017 that are much lower than pre-consolidation when adjusted for inflation

klm617 wrote:
So it's just your option there perhaps other employees were perfectly OK with the work environment so those aren't facts just your perspective.


I clearly stated as much. Please learn to read.

"Maybe on the inside the attitudes were different, but it certainly didn't show."

klm617 wrote:
Yes there was a choice to suck it up and fall into line or be unemployed.


Fall into line? I think you've very much forgotten the economics of the industry at the time. There were three choices:

1) Merge
2) Refuse to merge, collapse, and be bought by another airline
3) Liquidate

There was no 'fall into line'

klm617 wrote:
that's just smoke and mirrors that air fares are cheaper now than they were in the 80s and early 90s all in prices with 2 pieces of luggage, seat assignment and ample legroom are not cheaper today than they were back then.


No. It isn't. They are cheaper. That's a fact.
 
simairlinenet
Posts: 817
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:24 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:26 am

TropicalSky wrote:
The infamous "Keep Delta My Delta"

Lots of Delta employees said, "What's the big deal about Northwest disappearing?"--as they wore a "Keep Delta My Delta" lanyard. Kool-aid is powerful stuff!
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3665
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:30 am

Few years before the NW-DLmerger, both filed for bankruptcy on the same day.
Airliners.net of the Future
 
TropicalSky
Topic Author
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:36 am

Yes I remember that,it's also where the first rumbles of their partnership started picking up steam


September11 wrote:
Few years before the NW-DLmerger, both filed for bankruptcy on the same day.
 
bfitzflyer
Posts: 423
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:39 am

Not perfect compared to the other two major mergers that followed, UA/CO and AA/US they are the gold standard
 
User avatar
GoneSovereign
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:47 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:40 am

bfitzflyer wrote:
Not perfect compared to the other two major mergers that followed, UA/CO and AA/US they are the gold standard


You're trolling, right?
New York City Area
 
User avatar
DL747400
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:33 am

Interesting infographic from the DL Newshub:



Image
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 2639
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:36 am

I wanted a Delta/Continental merger. It would have been amazing. They were the two most professional workgroups in the industry. Both took pride in their work.
 
Lpbri
Posts: 230
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:37 am

The best thing to come out of the merger is the riddance of the awful NWA management and unions.
 
User avatar
BN727227Ultra
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:40 am

GoneSovereign wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:
Not perfect compared to the other two major mergers that followed, UA/CO and AA/US they are the gold standard


You're trolling, right?


I think he left out some punctuation...
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8170
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:56 am

In true a.net fanboy fashion, no one can look at this topic objectively.
 
EvanWSFO
Posts: 1145
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:22 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:01 am

klm617 wrote:
winginit wrote:
klm617 wrote:
The only real winners in consolidation were the investors other wise for the most part everyone else lost.


I'd argue that the thousands of employees who didn't lose their jobs on account of their employers being liquidated won out... and make no mistake, that was the alternative instead of consolidation.

klm617 wrote:
Most middle to small markets have far less competition than they did before meaning higher fares


Give a specific example please, because when adjusted for inflation airfares are in many cases much lower than they were pre-consolidation (mid-2000s)

klm617 wrote:
Workers have lost out getting their work loads increased and there are more low paying jobs in the US airline industry than their ever have been being about 50% of the US3 traffic is carried by regionals. Award travel is no longer worth the loyalty to any airline alliance.


Regional pilots and flight attendants are getting paid much more now than they were pre-consolidation.

klm617 wrote:



Is that just your opinion or can you provide a link to state that that was going on ?


I was in the building as stated. I'm the primary source - no link required. That's how I know.



PLN, MKG, TOL, FNT, LAN, AZO, MBS, OMA, DSM, DAY, PIT, CVG, MEM, MKE Need I go on. So it's just your option there perhaps other employees were perfectly OK with the work environment so those aren't facts just your perspective. Yes there was a choice to suck it up and fall into line or be unemployed. Then why do the regional suffer from staffing issues and high employee turnover and poor onto performance compared to their mainline counter parts.. Compare air fares adjusted to inflation along with employee wages and then maybe your argument would be valid that's just smoke and mirrors that air fares are cheaper now than they were in the 80s and early 90s all in prices with 2 pieces of luggage, seat assignment and ample legroom are not cheaper today than they were back then.



What says a lot of these smaller destinations would have stayed if NW were still flying?. Cities that had service20+ years ago probably would have been dropped regardless.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:05 am

Given that the vast majority of M&A transactions fail to meet their stated objectives, the story here is the fantastic accomplishment of Delta (the new combined entity).

It was 10 years ago.

The integration is long complete.

Northwest is gone.

The old Delta is gone.

Delta is here and is an operationally and financially fit entity.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8515
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:36 am

klm617 wrote:
I think NW/CO would have faired much better than DL/NW



That was in the cards for several years



It was a very real possibility, in fact NW
had a controlling interest, a ‘golden share ‘
in Cal with veto power over any merger
during that time



That combined entity would have
made for a strong carrier with little
route overlap


But nothing like the CO / UA combination
which is simply the best, most strategic
and powerful merger in airline history
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
MSPNWA
Posts: 3698
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:48 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:40 am

Hard to believe it's been 10 years. I miss the "hometown" airline pride. I miss spotting the red tail. I miss the local service that's long gone. Other things aren't missed of course, but I would love to go back and reverse all these mergers. It's been to the benefit of a select few.

winginit wrote:
I'd argue that the thousands of employees who didn't lose their jobs on account of their employers being liquidated won out... and make no mistake, that was the alternative instead of consolidation.


Where's your evidence that airlines would have liquidated? Actually, don't bother looking. I know you don't have any, because there wasn't any. It's a wild statement rooted in hubris. No legacy 6 had to merge or die. Frankly, its repulsive to see this junk stated by and you an others on this website.

winginit wrote:
Give a specific example please, because when adjusted for inflation airfares are in many cases much lower than they were pre-consolidation (mid-2000s)


You're going down the wrong road. Inflation-adjusted airfares alone cannot be used for a conclusion. There's multiple other variables that tell us (along with core economics of course) that the landscape is less competitive (ironically including DL's own graphic posted in this thread). Thankfully lately the pendulum is swinging a little more in favor of customers again, but the losses will likely never be recovered.

Also, airfares tell us nothing about the loss of service to small communities. The Midwest alone is dotted with the holes left behind by NW/DL.

winginit wrote:
Regional pilots and flight attendants are getting paid much more now than they were pre-consolidation.


They are. But it's still not a high wage in comparison, and the regional employees lived through many years of ridiculous wages to get to this point (which will fall again once employee supply increases). They had better be paid somewhat modestly these days. It's not something the industry can crow about.

winginit wrote:
I was in the building as stated. I'm the primary source - no link required. That's how I know.


You're definitely entitled to an opinion, but considering you weren't an insider, and it wasn't a rosy time for most airlines, it's hard to take seriously. Few airlines weren't struggling at that time.

DL747400 wrote:
Interesting infographic from the DL Newshub:


Wow, the 2008 revenue is not even accurate. I mean, I expect the usual spin (especially since 2008 is a particularly poor year to compare to). Some of the figures are very misleading, and others aren't crow-worthy. But inaccuracy is another. Did anyone bother to check their work? That had better not be intentional misleading.
Last edited by MSPNWA on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8515
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:42 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I wanted a Delta/Continental merger. It would have been amazing. They were the two most professional workgroups in the industry. Both took pride in their work.



Have to disagreement, while both employee groups were and are very
professional a DL / CO merger would
not have been a good fit, no great strategic
advantages and the culture of the two
airlines was totally different


A merger was proposed in fact but shot
down by Continental’s CEO, Gordon Bethune when DL proposed ‘ stapling
all CO employees to the bottom of
a merged seniority list’
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
B757Forever
Posts: 887
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:23 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:49 am

Max Q wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:
I wanted a Delta/Continental merger. It would have been amazing. They were the two most professional workgroups in the industry. Both took pride in their work.



Have to disagreement, while both employee groups were and are very
professional a DL / CO merger would
not have been a good fit, no great strategic
advantages and the culture of the two
airlines was totally different


A merger was proposed in fact but shot
down by Continental’s CEO, Gordon Bethune when DL proposed ‘ stapling
all CO employees to the bottom of
a merged seniority list’


With the Western Merger, The Pan Am acquisition and the Northwest Merger, Delta integrated all of the seniority lists by DOE at the respective carrier. I've never heard this statement about the proposed DL/CO merger.
The Rolls Royce Dart. Noise = Shaft Horsepower.
 
User avatar
gatibosgru
Posts: 1773
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:48 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:59 am

Of course it's the same few posters beating a dead (airline) horse.

Congrats to DL for an amazingly successful decade post merger with NW!
@DadCelo
 
Antarius
Posts: 2543
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:23 am

Just think about what DTW could have been if it wasnt for those meddling kids :duck: :stirthepot:
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:05 am

Antarius wrote:
Just think about what DTW could have been if it wasnt for those meddling kids :duck: :stirthepot:


Umm... what could DTW have been? Was it suppose to be more than today? In what way?
 
Antarius
Posts: 2543
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:27 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:13 am

questions wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Just think about what DTW could have been if it wasnt for those meddling kids :duck: :stirthepot:


Umm... what could DTW have been? Was it suppose to be more than today? In what way?


It's a joke at the expense of the DTW brigade on a.net who think DL props up ATL because of emotional ties instead of DTW.

Never mind the whole Delta-being-absurdly-profitable thing...
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL
 
questions
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:51 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:24 am

Antarius wrote:
questions wrote:
Antarius wrote:
Just think about what DTW could have been if it wasnt for those meddling kids :duck: :stirthepot:


Umm... what could DTW have been? Was it suppose to be more than today? In what way?


It's a joke at the expense of the DTW brigade on a.net who think DL props up ATL because of emotional ties instead of DTW.

Never mind the whole Delta-being-absurdly-profitable thing...


Haha. I got the jab but thought there might have been a grand plan for DTW prior to the merger.

ATL is a powerhouse. However as a connecting passenger I try to avoid it. It’s like what malls used to be at Christmas. Too crowded.

DTW is great. Simple, easy to navigate.

MSP may have some cute clean cut Midwest guys, but I always feel like I’m walking around my elbow to get to my thumb.

MEM was a claustrophobic pit.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13278
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:31 am

BN727227Ultra wrote:
GoneSovereign wrote:
bfitzflyer wrote:
Not perfect compared to the other two major mergers that followed, UA/CO and AA/US they are the gold standard

You're trolling, right?

I think he left out some punctuation...

:checkmark:

Perhaps we're being optimistic, but it seems what s/he was trying to write was: "DL's merger was not perfect, but compared to the other two mergers, Delta was the gold standard."

Just poorly written.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
deltal1011man
Posts: 5362
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:17 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:57 am

And this thread went about like I figured it would.

either way, congratulations to the employees of Delta.
 
max999
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:05 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:33 am

MSPNWA wrote:

DL747400 wrote:
Interesting infographic from the DL Newshub:


Wow, the 2008 revenue is not even accurate. I mean, I expect the usual spin (especially since 2008 is a particularly poor year to compare to). Some of the figures are very misleading, and others aren't crow-worthy. But inaccuracy is another. Did anyone bother to check their work? That had better not be intentional misleading.


Regarding your statement that the infographic is lying. I think the burden to prove and analyze why it is misleading is on your shoulders and not on Delta. Why? Here are the reasons.

1) many of these figures are based on publicly available data. NW was a publicly traded company and DL continues to be. So it publishes data. It would be hard for them to purposely mislead when there's public data.

2) as publicly traded companies, they would be potentially sanctioned by the SEC for making false statements. Just look at the recent case of the SEC going after Elon Musk for a simple but misleading tweet.

Ultimately, Delta's standards of proof to publish accurate information is much higher than you writing a blurb on an internet forum. Also, their consequences for making false statements are much tougher than you will face.

Your best course of action is to contact the SEC if you believe Delta is making false public statements and is printing misleading infographics.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9524
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:49 am

klm617 wrote:
I think NW/CO would have faired much better than DL/NW


I can’t imagine how that is even possible? MEM? CLE? Nothing west of MSP or IAH for connections?
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
evank516
Posts: 2153
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:46 pm

DL and NW worked out pretty well in my opinion. It was probably the smoothest consolidation over any of the other big 3 mergers in the last decade. I remember paying attention to this one closely. I also remember this was going on when HP and US were having some difficulty swallowing 3-5 years later too.
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:08 pm

deltal1011man wrote:
And this thread went about like I figured it would.

either way, congratulations to the employees of Delta.


You mean people speaking the real truth instead of just the same old Delta employee propaganda that is always posted that everyone is suppose to accept as the truth just because these folks work at Delta. Yes cngrats to Delta employees because they really got a good deal out of this being not much changed in the Delta network except the CVG drawdown the core of the Delta employees were never displaced as they were already at ATL any way.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:14 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
klm617 wrote:
I think NW/CO would have faired much better than DL/NW


I can’t imagine how that is even possible? MEM? CLE? Nothing west of MSP or IAH for connections?



Let's be honest The Northwest network do a lot more for Delta than the Delta network did for Northwest. That is evident by the way that Delta shifted all the traffic away from the Northwest core hubs and moved it to Atlanta. Now DTW and MSP together are the size of ATL Does anyone have the numbers on these three hubs before the merger to compare to the way the traffic is shifted now.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
User avatar
klm617
Posts: 5121
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:15 pm

max999 wrote:
MSPNWA wrote:

DL747400 wrote:
Interesting infographic from the DL Newshub:


Wow, the 2008 revenue is not even accurate. I mean, I expect the usual spin (especially since 2008 is a particularly poor year to compare to). Some of the figures are very misleading, and others aren't crow-worthy. But inaccuracy is another. Did anyone bother to check their work? That had better not be intentional misleading.


Regarding your statement that the infographic is lying. I think the burden to prove and analyze why it is misleading is on your shoulders and not on Delta. Why? Here are the reasons.

1) many of these figures are based on publicly available data. NW was a publicly traded company and DL continues to be. So it publishes data. It would be hard for them to purposely mislead when there's public data.

2) as publicly traded companies, they would be potentially sanctioned by the SEC for making false statements. Just look at the recent case of the SEC going after Elon Musk for a simple but misleading tweet.

Ultimately, Delta's standards of proof to publish accurate information is much higher than you writing a blurb on an internet forum. Also, their consequences for making false statements are much tougher than you will face.

Your best course of action is to contact the SEC if you believe Delta is making false public statements and is printing misleading infographics.


You mean like we are not closing any hubs
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...
 
ocracoke
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:15 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:16 pm

Came in to see another a.net thread turn into a dumpster fire. Leaving satisfied. :checkmark:

Good to see our friend continue to spew misinformation about DL, still in anger all these 10 years later, because DL dared to stop flying the all first class service 747 to his beloved Ft. Dodge.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8170
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: 10 yrs since DELTA & NORTHWEST merge!

Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:29 pm

Yep a good dumpster fire indeed!

Anything involving DL usually turns into a dumpster fire on a.net!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos