Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AVLAirlineFreq
Topic Author

AA announces PHL-AVL, PHL-CHA

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:41 pm

I realize it was mentioned here in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1407421&hilit=ERI but some folks may have missed it because of the subject heading and it was formally announced today. Service starts May 3. No word yet on frequencies and flight times and whether it is summer seasonal only.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/39407767/am ... a-from-cha

smokeybandit

Re: AA announces PHL-AVL, PHL-CHA

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:56 pm

I skimmed too far ahead in that article and was very confused why they'd be using an A330-200 on those routes.

AVLAirlineFreq
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:59 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
I skimmed too far ahead in that article and was very confused why they'd be using an A330-200 on those routes.

THEY'RE NOT? :lol:

commpilot

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:08 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

Read the article...... Prague is getting the A330-300.

SgtBarone

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:40 pm

commpilot wrote:
smokeybandit wrote:

Read the article...... Prague is getting the A330-300.

...it was a joke.
AGP ATL BCN BNA BOS CLE CLT DCA DEN FLG FLL FRA IAD IAH JAX LAS LAX LGB MAD MCI MDW MKE MUC PHX RDU RSW SEA SJU SLC SNA TPA

TheFlyGuy

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:08 am

Two great new adds at PHL by AA. Although I believe it will be a net zero increase in capacity after dropping ERI which had two daily ERJ-145 and CHA and AVL will both be once daily (haven’t heard this confirmed...mere speculation), it opens up two new destinations not currently served by any other carrier. I had a feeling AA would launch AVL in the not too distant future, but am a little more surprised by CHA. I think it’s a great addition, but I would have expected SBN, TOL, or TUL, LIT (latter two outside of ERJ-145 range?) before CHA. Nonetheless, nice additions for all 3 airports.

boeing773er

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:23 am

They also relaunched ORD-ABE today 2x daily, equipment hasn’t been announced or loaded into their website. UA is running it 3x daily with Air Wisconsin I do believe.

They operated this route on an ERJ-145 (I think) before or right after the merger. It may of only lasted one year, very short lived. Hopefully they will have better luck this time around.

I’m quite pessimistic about this unfortunately, 5x daily seems to be a bit much considering it will only be west coast and Midwest that are viable options. Everything else is better off going through PHL, CLT, DTW or ATL.
https://www.flylvia.com/blog/increased- ... o-chicago/
Last edited by boeing773er on Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

tys777

Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:26 am

CHA will be served 9nce daily. not sure on AVL. Gate space is getting tight in CHA with a lot of equipment upgrades.

Not sure on equipment. Article says 50 seat 175's..

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/bre ... ts/482291/

TheFlyGuy

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:41 am

boeing773er wrote:
They also relaunched ORD-ABE today 2x daily, equipment hasn’t been announced or loaded into their website. UA is running it 3x daily with Air Wisconsin I do believe.

They operated this route on an ERJ-145 (I think) before or right after the merger. It may of only lasted one year, very short lived. Hopefully they will have better luck this time around.

I’m quite pessimistic about this unfortunately, 5x daily seems to be a bit much considering it will only be west coast and Midwest that are viable options. Everything else is better off going through PHL, CLT, DTW or ATL.
https://www.flylvia.com/blog/increased- ... o-chicago/

I’ve always been perplexed by the ABE-PHL route, as I’m almost certain it is probably quicker and cheaper for most to simply drive to/from the Lehigh Valley to/from PHL or EWR than to connect at PHL. Granted ABE has a much more populous catchment area than ERI, but I would have expected AA to drop ABE before ERI. Just my two cents.

MIflyer12

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:32 am

TheFlyGuy wrote:
it opens up two new destinations not currently served by any other carrier.

Oh, AVL and CHA see scheduled air passenger service on other carriers. The ROUTES PHL-AVL and CHA-PHL don't have other competition. They must expect heavy connecting traffic to make them viable. There can't be meaningful O&D counts.

steeler83

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:00 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
TheFlyGuy wrote:
it opens up two new destinations not currently served by any other carrier.

Oh, AVL and CHA see scheduled air passenger service on other carriers. The ROUTES PHL-AVL and CHA-PHL don't have other competition. They must expect heavy connecting traffic to make them viable. There can't be meaningful O&D counts.

I'm sure they can stimulate the market with an E175, which the last time I checked was a 76 seater. I am curious to see what connection opportunities the timing of this flight offers.
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

airtrantpa

Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:22 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
I realize it was mentioned here in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1407421&hilit=ERI but some folks may have missed it because of the subject heading and it was formally announced today. Service starts May 3. No word yet on frequencies and flight times and whether it is summer seasonal only.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/39407767/am ... a-from-cha

Channel 13 said the flights start this week. Ill have ti see if its on their ap. Was watching the new this am and it ws on the ticker this am. I wish we would get more mainline flights from the US3. After working in TPA got spoiled seeing hardly no rjs to AVL. Nice to know i can now connect so ewhere else besides CLT ATL ORD
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

CapitalAvGeek

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:00 pm

These adds seem to be in response to UA moving these routes to IAD from EWR. CHA-IAD started October 1st and AVL-IAD will start in the spring.

Atlwarrior

Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Wow just recently Hilton Head and now Chatagoona. How is Delta going to respond? Is this a response to Delta planned 220 routes from DFW?

TYSflyer

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:14 pm

Nice adds for both of these markets. Both are growing areas. AVL has been having 20% growth even prior to the arrival of NK, and CHA is around 10% growth. I have no doubt the O&D will be there for a daily or 2 RJ flight for both markets if the price is reasonable. However, in many similar sized markets AA tends to try to take your first born for a nonstop to PHL. If they do that I’m sure a good percentage of travelers will continue driving to CLT and BNA/ATL, respectively.

crj900lr

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Atlwarrior wrote:
Wow just recently Hilton Head and now Chatagoona. How is Delta going to respond? Is this a response to Delta planned 220 routes from DFW?

Delta is gonna open a hub in AVL and run 100 flights a day and CHA will be a focus city for them with 65 flights a day. Both these cities will see mostly A350 and 737-900 service with a few 220's in the mix. Cause remember no topic on A.Net is complete unless Delta is mentioned in it.

AVLAirlineFreq
Topic Author

Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:06 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Nice adds for both of these markets. Both are growing areas. AVL has been having 20% growth even prior to the arrival of NK, and CHA is around 10% growth. I have no doubt the O&D will be there for a daily or 2 RJ flight for both markets if the price is reasonable. However, in many similar sized markets AA tends to try to take your first born for a nonstop to PHL. If they do that I’m sure a good percentage of travelers will continue driving to CLT and BNA/ATL, respectively.

One of the other benefits to PHL-AVL and CHA, if the timing is right, will be to connect with international flights that aren't offered through CLT.

nomorerjs

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:14 pm

crj900lr wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

Delta is gonna open a hub in AVL and run 100 flights a day and CHA will be a focus city for them with 65 flights a day. Both these cities will see mostly A350 and 737-900 service with a few 220's in the mix. Cause remember no topic on A.Net is complete unless Delta is mentioned in it.

There goes the AUS focus city!

tys777

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:40 pm

tys777 wrote:
CHA will be served 9nce daily. not sure on AVL. Gate space is getting tight in CHA with a lot of equipment upgrades.

Not sure on equipment. Article says 50 seat 175's..so, not actually sure what's going on in that regard.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/bre ... ts/482291/

flyjoe

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:41 am

boeing773er wrote:

US/AA hasn't operated service to anywhere besides CLT and PHL in at least 10+ years since service to BOS ended. AA served ABE-ORD in the early 90s with 3x daily 727 service.

acentauri

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:51 am

TYSflyer wrote:

Are you really saying that rather than flying direct through PHL, Charleston flyers will drive 400 miles round trip to CLT or 600 miles round trip to Atlanta? I doubt it.

JFLANY

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:01 am

acentauri wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
Are you really saying that rather than flying direct through PHL, Charleston flyers will drive 400 miles round trip to CLT or 600 miles round trip to Atlanta? I doubt it.

CHAttanooga passengers, not CHarleSton.

flyjoe

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:05 am

acentauri wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
However, in many similar sized markets AA tends to try to take your first born for a nonstop to PHL. If they do that I’m sure a good percentage of travelers will continue driving to CLT and BNA/ATL, respectively.

CHA is Chattanooga, TN, not Charleston. It's about a 2 hour drive (250 miles roundtrip) between CHA and ATL and about the same distance between AVL and CLT.

PHLspecial

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:32 am

crj900lr wrote:
Atlwarrior wrote:

Huh that's weird why of saying Delta is going to make PHL a focus city :cry: :duck:

TYSflyer

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:38 am

Flights have been loaded. Both are once daily on E145.

tys777

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:44 pm

TYSflyer wrote:
Flights have been loaded. Both are once daily on E145.

PHL-CHA 3:30- 5:46p
CHA-PHL 6:11-8:26p

EvanWSFO

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:47 pm

flyjoe wrote:
acentauri wrote:
TYSflyer wrote:
However, in many similar sized markets AA tends to try to take your first born for a nonstop to PHL. If they do that I’m sure a good percentage of travelers will continue driving to CLT and BNA/ATL, respectively.

CHA is Chattanooga, TN, not Charleston. It's about a 2 hour drive (250 miles roundtrip) between CHA and ATL and about the same distance between AVL and CLT.

An hour each way? Have you driven that lately? It "should" be an hour. Traffic starts slowing about 20-25 miles north of Marietta. It's now more like two hours, depending on your destination in the city.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

usairways85

Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:57 pm

PHL-AVL: 8:49pm - 10:45
AVL-PHL: 6am - 7:45am

It looks like they are going after the AVL domestic traffic, but a little of the CHA international traffic. Europe-PHL-CHA works, CHA-PHL-Europe only connects to the later bank.

boeing773er

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:26 pm

flyjoe wrote:
boeing773er wrote:

US/AA hasn't operated service to anywhere besides CLT and PHL in at least 10+ years since service to BOS ended. AA served ABE-ORD in the early 90s with 3x daily 727 service.

Nope, PMAA flew to ABE from ORD. It stared in June 2010 and ended by 2011. I really had to look it up for myself, but in case you’re interested.
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx
https://www.anna.aero/2010/06/15/new-ro ... 8-14-june/
Work Hard, Fly Right.

RamblinMan

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:42 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
flyjoe wrote:
acentauri wrote:

An hour each way? Have you driven that lately? It "should" be an hour. Traffic starts slowing about 20-25 miles north of Marietta. It's now more like two hours, depending on your destination in the city.

I think he's saying it's two hours each way which is still a bit optimistic in terms of getting from Chatt to Hartsfield. Despite that, plenty of Chattanoogans often use ATL, myself included. The difference in fare can be quite a bit, and the time savings of using CHA can be minimal if it involves a long layover. ATL has lots of LCC competition these days making it quite attractive. Additional options help make the local airport more of a viable option though I'm not a fan of the timing of this new flight. The only Europe departures this connects with that I cannot already reach 1-stop via CLT are EDI, MAN, and LIS.

EvanWSFO

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:49 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
flyjoe wrote:

I think he's saying it's two hours each way which is still a bit optimistic in terms of getting from Chatt to Hartsfield. Despite that, plenty of Chattanoogans often use ATL, myself included. The difference in fare can be quite a bit, and the time savings of using CHA can be minimal if it involves a long layover. ATL has lots of LCC competition these days making it quite attractive. Additional options help make the local airport more of a viable option though I'm not a fan of the timing of this new flight. The only Europe departures this connects with that I cannot already reach 1-stop via CLT are EDI, MAN, and LIS.

I didn't read it that way. No biggie. :yes:
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

flyjoe

Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:54 pm

boeing773er wrote:

Nope, PMAA flew to ABE from ORD. It stared in June 2010 and ended by 2011. I really had to look it up for myself, but in case you’re interested.
http://news.aa.com/news/news-details/20 ... fault.aspx
https://www.anna.aero/2010/06/15/new-ro ... 8-14-june/[/quote]

I guess since it didn't last that long, I didn't remember that. I only remembered when AA was in the market with 727s.
I think the route should do a little better this time around and pulling from a much larger AA Advantage base in the region than was available in 2010. They should be able to pick off a couple of ORD only travelers now from UA.

tys777

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:47 am

RamblinMan wrote:
EvanWSFO wrote:
flyjoe wrote:

I'd say 2 1/2 hours each way personally. I fly in/out of ATL all of the time for my Chattanooga air needs. Did it over Xmas last year and saved over $2000 for my family of four. Albeit, I think there has been some huge fare decreases in CHA lately. Used to pay upwards of $800 roundtrip on DL for what I needed and can now get sub $300 for the same route. (Connecting in ORD vs MSP). I think with all the growth in the northern burbs of ATL and increase in options in CHA; we will see the numbers only continue to grow. The biggest thing limiting them is going to be terminal size soon. An increase of 3 gates would be nice and much needed especially in the morning. A lot of ramp boarding happens now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos