Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
B-HOP
Topic Author
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:09 pm

Laker Airways 1996 ver

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Sir Freddie Laker had another go using DC-10 for transatlantic service from UK to US in 1996, this time, funded by a Texas billionaire, they equipped their DC-10 with PTV, anybody else had PTV on their DC-10? Furthermore, did they had further plans to expand beyond UK-Florida market? Was New York being considered, was the business viable or was it bleeding too much?
Live life to max!!!
 
FCOTSTW
Posts: 214
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:13 pm

B-HOP wrote:
Sir Freddie Laker had another go using DC-10 for transatlantic service from UK to US in 1996, this time, funded by a Texas billionaire, they equipped their DC-10 with PTV, anybody else had PTV on their DC-10? Furthermore, did they had further plans to expand beyond UK-Florida market? Was New York being considered, was the business viable or was it bleeding too much?


I flew CO 41 Y 07MAY1998 and no, no PTVs were present. Still, they had replaced the pneumatic headset with electronic ones.
Sat in one of the 3 central seats with no direct aisle access.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 7292
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm

Is this the same Laker that flew 727s in the Bahamas?
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
B-HOP
Topic Author
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:09 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:32 am

It is a different one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhBONX8CyfI&t=87s, started operation in around 1996, I remember the tycoon is Oscar Wyatts
Live life to max!!!
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:41 am

B-HOP wrote:
It is a different one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhBONX8CyfI&t=87s, started operation in around 1996, I remember the tycoon is Oscar Wyatts


Have you not looked at the Laker Airways (Bahamas) Wikipedia pages as it gives a great detailed account regarding the company's history and it's operations.
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 4819
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:05 am

https://m.planespotters.net/airline/Laker-Airways

Proof that you just can’t go back, sadly.....
 
B-HOP
Topic Author
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 8:09 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:10 am

Cunard wrote:
B-HOP wrote:
It is a different one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhBONX8CyfI&t=87s, started operation in around 1996, I remember the tycoon is Oscar Wyatts


Have you not looked at the Laker Airways (Bahamas) Wikipedia pages as it gives a great detailed account regarding the company's history and it's operations.


I only read the wiki article on the original Laker, many thanks for pointing this out, looks like it suffers from the same problem like VS current operation to MCO, very full for summer and school holiday, empty for off peak season, although I do wonder whether they would want to expand further into other markets given their name
Live life to max!!!
 
Cunard
Posts: 2510
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:32 am

If your referring to Laker 2 in your last sentence well we're never know the answer to that question as it's been well over twenty years ago since the airline ceased operations :-)
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:09 am

There was a behind the scenes documentary following Sir Freddie during the start up
https://youtu.be/QVmf852LQ78
His product was not too far from what TUI and Thomas Cook offer today, ahead of its time in many ways. However they had a lot of problems with the DC10 fleet so a lot of wet leased aircraft, therefore the Laker product they sold on was not delivered.
Last edited by Ryanair01 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Ryanair01
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
There was a behind the scenes documentary following Sir Freddie during the start up
https://youtu.be/QVmf852LQ78
His product was not too far from what TUI and Thomas Cook offer today, ahead of its time in many ways. However they had a lot of problems with the DC10 fleet so a lot of wet leased aircraft, therefore the Laker product they sold on was not delivered.


This link may work better https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _qwQMrSSDB
 
TC957
Posts: 3816
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:18 am

This Laker 1996 attempt failed due to the late delivery of the PTV-equipped DC-10's forcing them to lease in TriStar equipment without any IFE and not deliver what was promised in the advertising and marketing hype before the launch. They never recovered from that awful start.
 
User avatar
chepos
Posts: 7273
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2000 9:40 am

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:01 am

I recall seeing their DC10s at MCO in the mid 90s, were their crews based out of MCO or the UK? This was back in the day when Terminal A at MCO was UK charter heaven, with the likes of AirTours, Brittania, Monarch, Laker, Flying Colours etc all flying to into MCO from various UK airports.
Fly the Flag!!!!
 
b4thefall
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
Ryanair01 wrote:
There was a behind the scenes documentary following Sir Freddie during the start up
https://youtu.be/QVmf852LQ78
His product was not too far from what TUI and Thomas Cook offer today, ahead of its time in many ways. However they had a lot of problems with the DC10 fleet so a lot of wet leased aircraft, therefore the Laker product they sold on was not delivered.


This link may work better https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _qwQMrSSDB



I remember watching the documentary when it originally aired on British tv. I was really rooting for them to succeed. It's a shame it didn't work out.
 
b4thefall
Posts: 97
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Laker Airways 1996 ver

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:16 am

Ryanair01 wrote:
Ryanair01 wrote:
There was a behind the scenes documentary following Sir Freddie during the start up
https://youtu.be/QVmf852LQ78
His product was not too far from what TUI and Thomas Cook offer today, ahead of its time in many ways. However they had a lot of problems with the DC10 fleet so a lot of wet leased aircraft, therefore the Laker product they sold on was not delivered.


This link may work better https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... _qwQMrSSDB



I remember watching the documentary when it originally aired on British tv. I was really rooting for them to succeed. It's a shame it didn't work out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos