Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Msep003

Re: WOW Financial Discussion Thread

Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:46 am

Will Indigo group invest cash in WOW and improve customer service such as Allowing One carry on per pax and use their current fleet order to balance the previus plane order .

As i remember there is a few A321LR's on order for their branch. Is the 321LR able to fly west coast with full PAX an Cargo load ?

Ryanair01

Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:40 pm

Msep003 wrote:
Will Indigo group invest cash in WOW and improve customer service such as Allowing One carry on per pax and use their current fleet order to balance the previus plane order .

As i remember there is a few A321LR's on order for their branch. Is the 321LR able to fly west coast with full PAX an Cargo load ?

Wow do allow one carry on per pax. Indigo don't have any A321LRs on order. A321NEO can't make west coast non stop.

caaardiff

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Thomas Cook UK have acquired an A321 from WOW. Does anyone know what registration this is?

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm

Ryanair01 wrote:
Msep003 wrote:

Wow do allow one carry on per pax. Indigo don't have any A321LRs on order. A321NEO can't make west coast non stop.

Their basic fare only allows one personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, a large carry on is around 10$. That goes away in higher fare buckets.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

klm617

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Does anyone see WOW making any more adjustments to their summer 2019 schedule or is it pretty much set in stone now ?
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

arcticcruiser

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:32 pm

caaardiff wrote:
Thomas Cook UK have acquired an A321 from WOW. Does anyone know what registration this is?

Source?

Varsity1

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:43 pm

1. Where are the A333's going?
2. What is happening to the crews? Furlough?

arcticcruiser

Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

1.Storage at LDE for now (two have been there since November).
2.Contractors either terminated or not renewed.

Lots of people left in addition to those laid off. COO left in January, Sales and Marketing chief just left...

caaardiff

Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:12 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
caaardiff wrote:

Source?

Jethros fleet list website, which is usually pretty accurate.

airberlin2017

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:18 am

KEF-DUS are now gone. All summer-flights are highly priced (over 500 USD Oneway).

In the last week, WOW Air has returned all slots @DUS.

madpropsyo

Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:36 am

Can we get a summary of what is left of this airline? I’m still struggling to understand what, exactly, Indigo invested in.

hvusslax

Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:00 pm

madpropsyo wrote:
Can we get a summary of what is left of this airline? I’m still struggling to understand what, exactly, Indigo invested in.

11 aircraft of the A32X family remain. Rumor has it that the fleet might lose another 2-3 in this year.

6 US/Canada destinations are supposed to remain through the summer.
I'm not sure about the number of EU destination remaining.

Essentially WOW is back to it's 2015/2016 size.

arcticcruiser

Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:39 pm

S
madpropsyo wrote:

Indigo apparently has not invested anything yet, so the jury is still out. Are they really going to throw $70-100M (as has been mentioned)at this? Doubt it, but we will see. There are still 16 planes on the Icelandic register, so a lot to work out. Only the AC birds are deregistered.

madpropsyo

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:09 pm

How big of an impact is this ramp down having on passenger traffic numbers for KEF? I know they were planning on big expansions over the next few years.

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:35 pm

madpropsyo wrote:
How big of an impact is this ramp down having on passenger traffic numbers for KEF? I know they were planning on big expansions over the next few years.

Pax numbers probably go down 8-10% according to aircraft operators. However, the big expansions are still in order because a) the terminal is still way too small for the current traffic, even with a small decrease and b) FI is still planning to steadily expand for both the short-term and long-term future.

kyrone

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Pardon the rough google translation, but per the below, it looks like a critical deadline is looming:
https://www.frettabladid.is/markadurinn ... islufresti

Sunday, February 17, 2019, 14.26 GMT

The airline company WOW air has asked for a deadline until mid-March to settle unpaid landing and passenger charges at foreign airports, according to Túrista's comments.
It states that the airline has sent a letter to the relevant airport, stating that the company wishes for a condition that the user charges for the airline be paid next month, and not now at the end of February, as was advised.
It is also stated that it is difficult to estimate the amounts, but it is pointed out that user fees for WOW air at Keflavik Airport, before January, were between 250 and 300 million.
By the end of February, the deadline by which the owners of bonds in WOW air provided Indigo Partners and Skúli Mogensen to reach an agreement on the acquisition of a large part of the Icelandic airline will expire. Information has not been received on the status of the negotiations, but it is assumed that the airline will send a statement of the status no later than 28 February.
In addition, it is not clear whether WOW will be able to cancel a twelve-year lease on four new Airbus A330 aircraft, as stated in Túrista's news, but the rent price of one such amounts to just over ISK 100 million and two jets of four now ready with WOW brand at Airbus factory in France. WOW may need to pay in the range of 300 to 500 million to get rid of a single lease and a sizeable sum.

I wish them the best, it’s a tough situation for their employees to be in.......

arcticcruiser

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:55 pm

When the 2018 Annual statement for Arion Bank of Iceland was issued, it revealed they lost $25M on Primera´s Bankruptcy. Furthermore it reveals they are exposed in excess of $32M to "aviation interests", which is presumed to be WOW air. An interesting fact hat the son of Arion Banks CEO is head of WOW air owner´s Skuli Mogensen investment company, Titan Investments. Give your bankers son a job, it will help...

Natflyer

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Natflyer

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:51 pm

Desperate for cash? 1000 seats at $45 (with strings attached),

https://simpleflying.com/wow-air-continued-struggles/

klm617

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:07 am

Natflyer wrote:
Desperate for cash? 1000 seats at $45 (with strings attached),

https://simpleflying.com/wow-air-continued-struggles/

1000 seats at $45 is no big deal it's not going to impact their ability to raise cash and it's a great marketing stunt to get the WOW Air name in the forefront. If they can pervade a good experience then people will be back to buy their $500 round trip tickets.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

airberlin2017

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:19 am

No good news from Iceland...

While the parties have not reached an agreement, Indigo Partners and WOW air continue to work in good faith to negotiate terms while working toward closing an investment by March 29th. A new written procedure will be submitted to the bond holders in the coming days. No further comments will be made at this time.

Source: https://wowair.is/investors/media/

With the open/non-paid airport fees (Deferred payment requested until mid-March) it will probably be a very hot March for WOW Air: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ees-report

smokeybandit

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:56 am

I flew WOW last weekend. Nice little airline. A little strange with their boarding process, but no complaints. Too bad it's struggling on the other side of the house

Natflyer

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:38 am

airberlin2017 wrote:
No good news from Iceland...

While the parties have not reached an agreement, Indigo Partners and WOW air continue to work in good faith to negotiate terms while working toward closing an investment by March 29th. A new written procedure will be submitted to the bond holders in the coming days. No further comments will be made at this time.

Source: https://wowair.is/investors/media/

With the open/non-paid airport fees (Deferred payment requested until mid-March) it will probably be a very hot March for WOW Air: https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... ees-report

Probably a question which creditor moves on them first. Then the whole house of cards will fall. Salaries did´nt get paid yesterday according to local webpage mbl.is
https://www.mbl.is/frettir/innlent/2019/03/01/wow_air_faer_manadarfrest/

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:01 am

Wow did not pay salaries yesterday. Wow has a new deadline, 29th of March, to reach an agreement with Indigo Partners.

https://www.mbl.is/vidskipti/frettir/20 ... adarfrest/

hvusslax

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:58 pm

Salaries were paid today.

ICG

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:16 pm

According to an Icelandic air travel news website turisti.is WOW air asked Icelandair to resume their negotiations from November but Icelandair refuses their offer.

https://turisti.is/2019/03/leitudu-aftu ... celandair/

arcticcruiser

Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:12 pm

ICG wrote:
According to an Icelandic air travel news website turisti.is WOW air asked Icelandair to resume their negotiations from November but Icelandair refuses their offer.

https://turisti.is/2019/03/leitudu-aftu ... celandair/

This gets curiouser and curiouser... Indigo appears out.

workhorse

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:36 pm

For all WOW personnel reading this: please accept my most sincere sympathy and support.

I think you are a great airline and your presence is needed on the transatlantic market. Let's hope that these difficult times will pass soon and WOW will strive again!

klm617

Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:41 pm

workhorse wrote:
For all WOW personnel reading this: please accept my most sincere sympathy and support.

I think you are a great airline and your presence is needed on the transatlantic market. Let's hope that these difficult times will pass soon and WOW will strive again!

I agree the market needs WOW Air.

madpropsyo

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:49 am

klm617 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

WOW Air is only “needed” because their fares are rock bottom. The fact that they are currently on the brink on failure is proof that those fares are unrealistic. That in and of itself would not be problematic except that they appear to be dragging Icelandair down with them, which is NOT good for the market because Icelandair is a sustainable and successful business which punches well above its weight to keep TATL fares low. At this point WOW is doing more damage than it is worth, and if them going under saves Icelandair then so be it IMO. If FI fails the TATL market will be reduced to an oligopoly with sky high fares.

klm617

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:59 am

madpropsyo wrote:
klm617 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

WOW Air is only “needed” because their fares are rock bottom. The fact that they are currently on the brink on failure is proof that those fares are unrealistic. That in and of itself would not be problematic except that they appear to be dragging Icelandair down with them, which is NOT good for the market because Icelandair is a sustainable and successful business which punches well above its weight to keep TATL fares low. At this point WOW is doing more damage than it is worth, and if them going under saves Icelandair then so be it IMO.

No their growth was unrealistic who sends an A330 to DFW 3 times a week and lets it sit on the ground there for an entire day without utilization that's the problem not the fares they were charging . Sorry but from the market I'm in DTW WOW Air is needed to keep the option open for those who don't have deep pockets and want to travel to Europe a huge metropolitan are that Icelandair totally ignored. So I'm 100% behind WOW Air because of their loyalty to the Detroit market and their ability to ride this storm out. Too bad for Icelandair if they are as viable as they say then they will whether the storm out. Maybe to you WOW is doing more damage than it's worth but to the people of Detroit WOW Air is a godsend.

madpropsyo

Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:49 am

klm617 wrote:
madpropsyo wrote:
klm617 wrote:

WOW Air is only “needed” because their fares are rock bottom. The fact that they are currently on the brink on failure is proof that those fares are unrealistic. That in and of itself would not be problematic except that they appear to be dragging Icelandair down with them, which is NOT good for the market because Icelandair is a sustainable and successful business which punches well above its weight to keep TATL fares low. At this point WOW is doing more damage than it is worth, and if them going under saves Icelandair then so be it IMO.

No their growth was unrealistic who sends an A330 to DFW 3 times a week and lets it sit on the ground there for an entire day without utilization that's the problem not the fares they were charging . Sorry but from the market I'm in DTW WOW Air is needed to keep the option open for those who don't have deep pockets and want to travel to Europe a huge metropolitan are that Icelandair totally ignored. So I'm 100% behind WOW Air because of their loyalty to the Detroit market and their ability to ride this storm out. Too bad for Icelandair if they are as viable as they say then they will whether the storm out. Maybe to you WOW is doing more damage than it's worth but to the people of Detroit WOW Air is a godsend.

Sorry, when I responded to you originally I did not realize that you were actually crazy.

workhorse

Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:57 am

Once again, to WOW personnel:

the hate that can be seen on this and other threads actually shows that your company did something right. Some people were enjoying their sweet spot milking passengers and doing nothing to improve their product and then you came in to ruin their nice party. Thank you for that and keep fighting!

B747forever

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:05 am

klm617 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Apparently potential customers don’t think so, otherwise WOW wouldn’t be in the situation they are in today. Too bad their plans have not worked out. A couple of years ago I flew with them SFO-KEF-LAX for $260 and absolutely enjoyed my flights with them bearing in mind the fare I paid. But that is what I think has been their main problem, unsustainable fares.
Work Hard, Fly Right

A380MSN004

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

1.Storage at LDE for now (two have been there since November).
2.Contractors either terminated or not renewed.

Lots of people left in addition to those laid off. COO left in January, Sales and Marketing chief just left...

Does someone know to whom belong the frame stored at LDE?

Thanks.

klm617

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:55 pm

B747forever wrote:
klm617 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

Apparently potential customers don’t think so, otherwise WOW wouldn’t be in the situation they are in today. Too bad their plans have not worked out. A couple of years ago I flew with them SFO-KEF-LAX for $260 and absolutely enjoyed my flights with them bearing in mind the fare I paid. But that is what I think has been their main problem, unsustainable fares.

No their main reason has been poor route planning and flying into all those highly competitive markets where they had no pricing power. Now they have a more sustainable route network with good aircraft utilization rather than as I said before an A330 sitting in Dallas for almost 24 not making money. May WOW Air survive with now much better clarity in the direction they need to go in. Planes sitting on the ground make no money even Icelandair has realized that moving their banks around for more same day returns rather than all those RON in North America. WOW Air is a much needed and great option it is in no ones best interest to want them or let them fail.

airberlin2017

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:40 am

“ An industry source told City A.M. the main stumbling block was chief executive Skuli Mogensen’s stake in the firm after the deal.

“Skuli wants more than what they [Indigo] are going to give him. It’s the same classic situation that the airline is insolvent. It has no value. For someone to come along and say ‘were going to inject $75m over 10 years, it’s not a lot of money in terms of aviation.

Source: http://www.cityam.com/274108/icelandic- ... ds-extends

VictorKilo

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:38 pm

Outside firm wants to invest cash into struggling airline but the founder of the airline is unwilling to accept a deal that dilutes his stake/power.

WOW is the new Jet Airways.

Provance

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:55 am

I’m getting the impression things are not looking too good for wowair.

I’ve read one report that they’ve come back to icelandair asking them to revisit their acquisition. Another report I’ve read seems to suggest that the indigo partners deal is also doomed.
EI, FR, BD, RE, UA, XL, US,

UPNYGuy

Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:39 pm

https://www.icelandreview.com/news/indi ... n-wow-air/

New today... indigo might invest more than first thought. But those of you that said Skúli will be asked to accept tough terms were correct.

klm617

Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:20 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
https://www.icelandreview.com/news/indigo-partners-considers-investing-further-in-wow-air/

New today... indigo might invest more than first thought. But those of you that said Skúli will be asked to accept tough terms were correct.

Sounds like a logical way forward from this financial mess. Obviously indigo sees that there is some value in WOW Air and it's brand and Skuili should sign on the dotted line because a highly overseen by Indigo WOW Air is better than no WOW Air at all and I'm sure he doesn't want to see his dream die.

UPNYGuy

Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:31 am

klm617 wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:
https://www.icelandreview.com/news/indigo-partners-considers-investing-further-in-wow-air/

Sounds like a logical way forward from this financial mess. Obviously indigo sees that there is some value in WOW Air and it's brand and Skuili should sign on the dotted line because a highly overseen by Indigo WOW Air is better than no WOW Air at all and I'm sure he doesn't want to see his dream die.

Agreed. I have had quite acceptable flights with wow.

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:52 pm

Today, Icelandic media is reporting Skuli went to the Icelandic government for governmental guarantee on their loan payout but was denied. This is a significant setback in their talks with Indigo as this was reportedly a requirement for their investment.

There are also rumors going around staff only got paid 50% of their wages last month and that the confirmed 20 million USD it owes Isavia in landing fees are now closer to 50 million. As I've said before, I hope WOW survives, but things are looking pretty grim at the moment.

hvusslax

Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:54 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
Today, Icelandic media is reporting Skuli went to the Icelandic government for governmental guarantee on their loan payout but was denied. This is a significant setback in their talks with Indigo as this was reportedly a requirement for their investment.

There are also rumors going around staff only got paid 50% of their wages last month and that the confirmed 20 million USD it owes Isavia in landing fees are now closer to 50 million. As I've said before, I hope WOW survives, but things are looking pretty grim at the moment.

Also intersting is the revelation that WOW has an agreement with Isavia to keep at least one aircraft at KEF at all times as collateral for the unpaid fees.

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:23 pm

hvusslax wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

Also intersting is the revelation that WOW has an agreement with Isavia to keep at least one aircraft at KEF at all times as collateral for the unpaid fees.

Can't be good for aircraft and staff utilisation when the fleet has already shrunk from 20 to 11 aircraft!

OB1504

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:40 pm

TF-GPA has been replaced by TF-NOW on the Cuba charters out of MIA. Is GPA going back to regular operations or being sold/returned to the lessor?

SurfandSnow

Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:56 pm

This is so sad to hear. I had such a wonderful experience flying WW home from Barcelona this past summer. Excellent value for the money, just the the Norwegian and Iberia flights I took to get there from LA. I'm not sure why so many seemingly root against carriers that have made it possible for young adults like myself to travel across the Atlantic - facilitating foreign language learning, cross-cultural experiences and supporting tourism jobs in a country that had struggled economically in the recent past. I like to think that being a kind and gracious guest within Spain and Iceland helped folks in both countries break the "ugly American" stereotype too. Hopefully nobody actually wishes to see transatlantic airfares skyrocket back to the 4 figures, thereby putting Europe out of reach for many Americans that seek to go there...
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

A380MSN004

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:09 pm

OB1504 wrote:
TF-GPA has been replaced by TF-NOW on the Cuba charters out of MIA. Is GPA going back to regular operations or being sold/returned to the lessor?

Who is operating those charters? WOW? Or TF-NOW is leased?

enilria

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:22 pm

SRQKEF wrote:

If you are Indigo that seems like a trick you'd try. The question is whether they knew they wouldn't get that from the git-go or not. I suspect they put that in as a sweetener, but didn't expect to get it. Yes, they can now walk away, but they probably had 10 other ways to walk away already.
SRQKEF wrote:
There are also rumors going around staff only got paid 50% of their wages last month and that the confirmed 20 million USD it owes Isavia in landing fees are now closer to 50 million.

I don't doubt it.
hvusslax wrote:

I suspect they have 1 or 2 planes just sitting as a result of the fleet reduction.

LHUSA

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:27 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
This is so sad to hear. I had such a wonderful experience flying WW home from Barcelona this past summer. Excellent value for the money, just the the Norwegian and Iberia flights I took to get there from LA. I'm not sure why so many seemingly root against carriers that have made it possible for young adults like myself to travel across the Atlantic - facilitating foreign language learning, cross-cultural experiences and supporting tourism jobs in a country that had struggled economically in the recent past. I like to think that being a kind and gracious guest within Spain and Iceland helped folks in both countries break the "ugly American" stereotype too. Hopefully nobody actually wishes to see transatlantic airfares skyrocket back to the 4 figures, thereby putting Europe out of reach for many Americans that seek to go there...

I don't think people 'hate' Wow for the reasons you mention. I think many aviation enthusiasts on here doubted their business plan and their ability to make money - and apparently rightfully so. They liken this weak business plan and excessive rapid growth to 'trashing' the market. While they were certainly a 'disrupter' in the TATL market and caused the big guys to re-strategize, I don't think anyone was really upset with allowing people to travel at those fares, just that it wasn't sustainable for the long-term. Maybe some did 'hate' their occasional operational meltdowns, but that's understandable. I think the same thing is true for Norwegian, although there is more hatred in that case because of what many perceive to be poor working conditions and being clever (although also controversial) in bypassing country operating laws.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos