Ryanair01

Re: WOW Ceases Operations

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:45 am

So sad to see so many people out of work.

spinkid wrote:
Who will pick up the slack besides Icelandair? They are light on aircraft, so it won't be easy for them. WOW showed that a few markets can support more capacity.

I think certain U.S. cities could support service to KEF like 3x weekly with that as the destination. Some places have the O & D to make it work. I would love to see a U.S. LCC or UlCC pick up the slack

Or perhaps Norwegian. They are short aircraft at the moment and not flying several of their MAX routes, but can they legally fly KEF to USA?

In the short term no one will pick up the slack, summer 19 schedules are pretty much closed now.

The two big markets are US and UK. US3 may be interested in some seasonal routes for summer 20, but they're traditionally pretty flaky about reliably running them year to year, so not firm enough for entrepreneurs to build a tourism business on. Icelandair have got their own problems, not least their fleet replacement needs which they themselves know mid term puts their business model under pressure. So it's hard to see they've got much scope. On the European side you will see Easyjet and Wizz sniff around, but not until after summer 19.

What a sad mess.

yxef150

Re: WOW Financial Discussion Thread

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:09 am

ALTF4 wrote:
Iluvtofly wrote:
grbauc wrote:

This kind of thinking that air travel should be borderline free and that airlines are evil and shouldn't make any money makes me scratch my head sometime. I started traveling 24 years ago and airfares are close to the same and cheaper on lots of routes. I can fly FC to pretty much anywhere in the USA first class for under 1k. Small, medium and large airports alike.

Are you talking about domestic USA ....flying so called FC in the USA is nothing more than a pathetic joke compared to the rest of the airlines offering FC. A hamburger on a New York Miami flight is hardly what the rest of the world calls 1st class.

Wait, what? Have you flown FC elsewhere?

Europe: "Let's block a middle seat for the first three rows and call that first class"
Latin America: Many airlines don't even have FC
Asia: Old, tired FC hard product on most airlines I have flown there

So compared to "the rest of the airlines", Delta domestic FC is a joke? Great! Stay away and I'll keep enjoying the unlimited free upgrades as a DL Diamond.

I'd have to fully agree!

I could be wrong, but me it seems more like the typical senseless bashing of US based airlines. As a frequent flyer, I cannot help but notice just how poor the first/business class product is in most of Europe as well as in many other parts of the world. First class onboard most EU airlines is typically nothing more than just an economy class product with slightly better catering. Many airlines do not even have 1st class product to begin with. Besides, even on slightly longer flights (3 to 5 hours) most EU based airlines have no personal IFE even in first class. Whereas in economy class they charge hefty fees for seat selection and/or luggage. It is nothing to brag about by any stretch, and legacy airlines in Europe (and in a number of other places in the world) are often not a whole lot different from LCC, at least when it comes to short to medium haul flights. WOW air truly made travel much more affordable to many people. Hopefully Norwegian is here to stay and will not meet the same fate WW.

lpdal

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:34 am

1 A321 is at MIA, it has been moved to the
parking ramp next to RWY 26L.

-LPDAL
All of my views and posted content are mine alone, and should not be viewed as official communication from my employer, its subsidiaries thereof, or any other entities or airlines.

Dieuwer

Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:24 pm

CEO of WOW blames collapse on big jet order

In retrospect the wide-body decision unfortunately turned out to be fatal.

https://www.ft.com/content/de75fa2a-520 ... 9ef1626294

grbauc

Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:48 pm

Iluvtofly wrote:
grbauc wrote:
PW100 wrote:
If those fares were not sustainable for WOW, what makes you believe they would be sustainable for FI?

This kind of thinking that air travel should be borderline free and that airlines are evil and shouldn't make any money makes me scratch my head sometime. I started traveling 24 years ago and airfares are close to the same and cheaper on lots of routes. I can fly FC to pretty much anywhere in the USA first class for under 1k. Small, medium and large airports alike.

Are you talking about domestic USA ....flying so called FC in the USA is nothing more than a pathetic joke compared to the rest of the airlines offering FC. A hamburger on a New York Miami flight is hardly what the rest of the world calls 1st class.

Yes domestic.

winginit

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:14 pm

klm617 wrote:
santi319 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Yes, just not within the same country.

Though the thought that JetBlue "should take advantage of this" is absurdity.

Ok now Jetblue flying to Europe is imminent!

Since WOW operated out of DTW, EWR and BWI perhaps Spirit will now start low cost flights from those cities to Europe all well established bases for Spirit..

Spirit have said outright that they have no intention to expand to Europe:

"Spirit Airlines continues to focus on expanding in the U.S., Caribbean, and Latin America. There are currently no plans to expand to any other regions of the world."

Source

smokeybandit

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:36 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

Sure seems it would have to be a lot more than just that to be as far in the hole as they were

Polot

Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:42 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:

Sure seems it would have to be a lot more than just that to be as far in the hole as they were

Everything about wide bodies is far more expensive than narrow bodies, especially for an airline as small as WOW (they had what, maybe 5 jets when they decided to get A330s?). The A330s were a financial black hole that WOW no doubt never made a dime off of. WOW did not get rid of them soon enough (in fact they stupidly doubled down on them by leasing early A330neos) and crossed the event horizon to put itself into a financial position it could not recover from. They did not have the scale and mass to recover from the wide bodies or prevent them from just destroying their balance sheet.

With just A320s WOW still may have been unprofitable and needed help, but their balance sheet would have been far more attractive and they would have found an easier time finding investors when the going got tough.

bryanSE785

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm

There is one A321 sitting at BWI on the F pad. All of the pink WOW signs at the ticket counter were there yesterday, but they have since been removed and the screens saying WOW have been changed.

Does anyone know what will happen to the aircraft?

william

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:34 pm

For the passengers what remedy do they have to get their money back? What pax does WOW have to rebook?

I feel for the pax that booked the busy summer season only to find themselves having to callthe likes of British Airways........" How much??!!!!"

lavalampluva

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:41 pm

So does this mean the KEF bubble burst?
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

crescent

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:46 pm

Half of the A321s were leased from Air Lease (the guy who started ILFC) - it's their plnces- they will decide where to place them next.

strfyr51

Re: Icelandair and WOW merging!

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 pm

Blerg wrote:
Why would FI do that? Isn't it easier to let them go bankrupt on their own?

If they let them go Under? They might not be able to maintain their OPS Specs and then would have to merge them into their Own Ops Specs.
So there would be no advantage to haven taken them over.

Blimpie

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:19 pm

bryanSE785 wrote:
There is one A321 sitting at BWI on the F pad. All of the pink WOW signs at the ticket counter were there yesterday, but they have since been removed and the screens saying WOW have been changed.

Flightradar 24 also still WOW arriving on-time as well. (WW17, A321, schedule 18:05, on-time)

lavalampluva wrote:

Doubt it. The issue wasn't KEF, but WOW overextending themselves and underselling their product.

william wrote:
For the passengers what remedy do they have to get their money back? What pax does WOW have to rebook?

I feel for the pax that booked the busy summer season only to find themselves having to callthe likes of British Airways........" How much??!!!!"

Can't speak for anyone outside of the states, but a simple call to their credit card (assuming they din't book at a counter, paying in cash), should rectify that.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:41 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

Yes and no. Last year's operations definitely weren't sustainable at that growth rate, but this was more the operating model of WOW bursting rather than KEF itself. Here's hoping FI can now continue growing at a normal rate, potentially reaching the same size as KEF was last year "the right way" in a few years time. :)
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

bryanSE785

Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Blimpie wrote:
bryanSE785 wrote:

Flightradar 24 also still WOW arriving on-time as well. (WW17, A321, schedule 18:05, on-time)

It is sitting on the F pad. I've seen it yesterday and today

breiz

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:01 pm

We need to say good-bye to MOM, DAD, SIS, BRO, CAT and DOG.
That was an inventive registration routine :smile:

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 pm

breiz wrote:

Don't forget grandma and grandpa! (-GMA/GPA)

Others included TF-LUV, KID, GAY, SON, DTR (daughter), JOY, NOW and of course TF-WOW. The first two A330neos would've been TF-BIG and TF-MOG (for Mogensen).

TC957

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:34 pm

I wonder if any other entrepreneur will think about setting up a second KEF based airline in WOW's place. Could Norwegian establish a hub there ?

kyrone

Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:35 pm

https://grapevine.is/news/2018/08/24/th ... ve-growth/

If you look at the above, which came out in August 2018; the airline’s top management should have known when they saw their 2017 results that they were on shaky ground...

OB1504

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:28 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
breiz wrote:

Others included TF-LUV, KID, GAY, SON, DTR (daughter), JOY, NOW and of course TF-WOW. The first two A330neos would've been TF-BIG and TF-MOG (for Mogensen).

What did TF-GPA signify?

multimark

Re: WOW Airlines Officially Done

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:31 pm

BN727227Ultra wrote:

Elitist much?. The market is the restriction. I hope someone buys a few secondhand A380s to fly all-J UIO-SCY six times a day for 100USD, just to pith off the treehuggers.

Well, there's an inteliigent attitude.

mjoelnir

Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:45 pm

OB1504 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
breiz wrote:

What did TF-GPA signify?

grandpa

smokeybandit

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:38 am

TF-PRO, also

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:40 am

smokeybandit wrote:
TF-PRO, also

TF-WIN, -SKY and -NEO (their first A320neo) also slipped my mind.

mke717spotter

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:20 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 4f2a2d18ba

"Wow is not offering refunds to incapacitated passengers. On its website, the carrier explains that customers could receive compensation “in accordance with European regulation on Air Passenger Rights.” It instructs passengers to file their claims with the administrator or liquidator."

This sounds criminal. How are they allowed to just pocket the cash and not issue any refunds?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

Andy33

Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:13 am

mke717spotter wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/i-have-a-wow-air-ticket-what-happens-now/2019/03/28/2bda45f0-5182-11e9-8d28-f5149e5a2fda_story.html?utm_term=.574f2a2d18ba

"Wow is not offering refunds to incapacitated passengers. On its website, the carrier explains that customers could receive compensation “in accordance with European regulation on Air Passenger Rights.” It instructs passengers to file their claims with the administrator or liquidator."

This sounds criminal. How are they allowed to just pocket the cash and not issue any refunds?

It would be criminal if they were still operating. But they're "in administration" - meaning they're effectively bankrupt. The people entitled to refunds don't rank ahead of other creditors such as employees who haven't been paid, fuel and catering suppliers who haven't been paid, ground handling contractors who haven't been paid, airports who haven't been paid, aircraft leasing companies who haven't been paid, governments who haven't been paid taxes (or social security contributions on behalf of employees) and many more.
The administrators will produce lists of who is owed what, and what funds are available, then decide what percentage of the owed amounts can actually be paid from the available cash. The chances of 100% repayment are negligible, but they will eventually get something. In the meantime, people who booked directly with the airline and paid by credit card can ask for a chargeback, and get their refund that way.

alggag

Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:44 am

I flew on them two times and enjoyed my flights on them. Ironically I arrived into Dublin on what would turn out to be their final day of operation and the last flight from KEF flew right over my head just as I was getting into my hire car. Next morning I turned on the radio and heard them talking about WOW's sudden shutdown and what to do next if you're impacted by the shutdown.

They tried to do too much too fast, especially with the A330.

Ryanair01

Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:07 am

mke717spotter wrote:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/i-have-a-wow-air-ticket-what-happens-now/2019/03/28/2bda45f0-5182-11e9-8d28-f5149e5a2fda_story.html?utm_term=.574f2a2d18ba

Of course there is no refund?! The company is insolvent, dead, there is no money, if there was money they would be in business, that's the whole point.

You become a creditor and might get some money if selling the assets raises any cash, but we're talking next to nothing as unsecured creditors are at the back of the queue. Credit Cards offer protection for this type of event, so will provide a refund, as happened to me once.

workhorse

Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:25 pm

mke717spotter wrote:
How are they allowed to just pocket the cash and not issue any refunds?

It's actually the other way around. They are not allowed to refund you. They are not allowed to do anything by themselves now (at least anything involving money transactions). It's all in the judge's hands. He/she will decide who will be refunded and how much.

Also, if the ticket was bought by credit card, they might not even have this money because credit card companies tend to pay the merchant after the product/service has already been delivered when dealing with companies in difficulty such as WOW. This probably was one of the reasons of their collapse: they were selling tickets but could not "touch" the money until the person had actually flown.

SoCalFlyer

Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:18 pm

What’s the latest on WOW Air’s planes? Has any other airlines stepped in to acquire them? Also, how will they get out of other places back to the owner? Does the owners send pilots to reposes them?

BN727227Ultra

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:54 am

AirCalSNA wrote:
It's interesting to me as someone not in the industry that an immediate shutdown is how this played out here. Couldn't Wow have looked down the road and realized the end was near and set a date in the near future--a day or two or a week even--when operations would stop? Some people would still be stranded, but not as many as they have left in a predicament today. Perhaps announcing an imminent shutdown is worse since it is likely cause all sorts of panic, anger, etc., that ends up burning what little money is left even faster. Or is this the norm?

That's not how business works. Look at Braniff. Everything is fine until it isn't.

Look at the other side of the coin--what if AirTran's shareholder services department had issued a press release along the lines of "We think we're getting bought at a 100% premium in a couple of weeks, and we think it's Southwest doing the buying." Everyone with a J.D. after their name would be suing.

BN727227Ultra

Re: WOW Airlines Officially Done

Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:57 am

multimark wrote:
BN727227Ultra wrote:

Elitist much?. The market is the restriction. I hope someone buys a few secondhand A380s to fly all-J UIO-SCY six times a day for 100USD, just to pith off the treehuggers.

Well, there's an inteliigent attitude.

Absurdity to illustrate absurdity, sir.

Iluvtofly

Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:02 am

yxef150 wrote:
ALTF4 wrote:
Iluvtofly wrote:

Wait, what? Have you flown FC elsewhere?

Europe: "Let's block a middle seat for the first three rows and call that first class"
Latin America: Many airlines don't even have FC
Asia: Old, tired FC hard product on most airlines I have flown there

So compared to "the rest of the airlines", Delta domestic FC is a joke? Great! Stay away and I'll keep enjoying the unlimited free upgrades as a DL Diamond.

I'd have to fully agree!

I could be wrong, but me it seems more like the typical senseless bashing of US based airlines. As a frequent flyer, I cannot help but notice just how poor the first/business class product is in most of Europe as well as in many other parts of the world. First class onboard most EU airlines is typically nothing more than just an economy class product with slightly better catering. Many airlines do not even have 1st class product to begin with. Besides, even on slightly longer flights (3 to 5 hours) most EU based airlines have no personal IFE even in first class. Whereas in economy class they charge hefty fees for seat selection and/or luggage. It is nothing to brag about by any stretch, and legacy airlines in Europe (and in a number of other places in the world) are often not a whole lot different from LCC, at least when it comes to short to medium haul flights. WOW air truly made travel much more affordable to many people. Hopefully Norwegian is here to stay and will not meet the same fate WW.

They dont market it as First Class .... Euro airlines dont ....... unless its overseas. US Domestic 1st should be classified as *J* Business at best 1St is a whole other level.
Flown - B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 A300 310 319 320 321 330 340 Concorde BAC111 TU154 VC10 F27 F28 F100 DC3 DC8 DC9 DC10 L1011 L188 DHC6 DHC7 DHC8 E135 E145 HS748 MD11 ST27 CV580 S340 ATR42 J31

Gulfstream500

Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:43 pm

SoCalFlyer wrote:
What’s the latest on WOW Air’s planes? Has any other airlines stepped in to acquire them? Also, how will they get out of other places back to the owner? Does the owners send pilots to reposes them?

No sales reported on flightaware yet. One aircraft (tf-now) is currently in Cuba, probably a charter. Another aircraft is in Slovenia (tf-neo). That may have been a sale.
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

Shanasta

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:26 pm

Is travel insurance not executed by a third party, so you can get your non-flown segments refunded?

SRQKEF
Topic Author

Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:27 pm

Gulfstream500 wrote:
SoCalFlyer wrote:

No sales reported on flightaware yet. One aircraft (tf-now) is currently in Cuba, probably a charter. Another aircraft is in Slovenia (tf-neo). That may have been a sale.

WOW did it's maintenance in LJU, so that's why TF-NEO is down there. None of the aircraft have found a new operator thus far AFAIK.

Dieuwer

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:28 pm

mke717spotter wrote:

1) Sell tickets several months in the future
2) Reap the cash that is spend on lavish CEO salary and goodies,
3) Rack up bills for aircraft leases, fuel, etc. all paid on credit.
4) When time is there to provide the service, declare bankruptcy.
5) CEO winning big, everyone else gets the shaft.

Boof02671

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:31 pm

Were any of their crew members stranded away from their base?

mjoelnir

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:07 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
mke717spotter wrote:

1) Sell tickets several months in the future
2) Reap the cash that is spend on lavish CEO salary and goodies,
3) Rack up bills for aircraft leases, fuel, etc. all paid on credit.
4) When time is there to provide the service, declare bankruptcy.
5) CEO winning big, everyone else gets the shaft.

Perhaps you should inform yourself a little bit. The CEO was also the main owner and financier and lost heaps of money over WOW air.

arcticcruiser

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Yes reportedly around 100. Icelandair flew them home for free.

Boof02671

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:36 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Yes reportedly around 100. Icelandair flew them home for free.

Thanks and that was kind of them.

Cathay777300ER

Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:48 pm

Boof02671 wrote:

Most likely as none of the Wow Air aircraft were in Keflavik at the time of bankruptcy. Most were in the US.

lavalampluva

Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:20 pm

Cathay777300ER wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Most likely as none of the Wow Air aircraft were in Keflavik at the time of bankruptcy. Most were in the US.

There are at least still aircraft at YYZ, DTW, and YUL.

bryanSE785

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:37 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Cathay777300ER wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

There is an A321 still at BWI

VS4ever

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:15 pm

bryanSE785 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
Cathay777300ER wrote:

There is an A321 still at BWI

Last we heard the BOS aircraft was still there, but that was yesterday.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

juliuswong

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:27 pm

Read the online. https://www.icelandreview.com/news/gove ... ankruptcy/

WOW air’s bankruptcy last Thursday has already led to some 1,500 layoffs so far, the largest mass layoff in Icelandic history.

The vast majority of those left unemployed, or around 1,100, were employees of WOW.
Another 315 were laid off by Airport Associates, which provides air terminal service at Keflavík Airport.

A large construction company in the Keflavík area has let go of 40 employees, while tour bus company Reykjavík Excursions has laid off 59.

Keflavík airport’s Duty Free stores have also laid off six employees, citing that around 30% of passenger traffic at the airport was due to WOW air’s flights.

Hope those left unemployed after WW's demise will find a job soon.
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

lavalampluva

Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:57 pm

I don’t know if this have been addressed, but it’s obvious that WW might be able to get the aircraft out. What’s the next step? Do the lessors bring in flight crews? I’m sure those aircraft would be transferred to other airlines.

SurfandSnow

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:23 am

juliuswong wrote:
Read the online. https://www.icelandreview.com/news/gove ... ankruptcy/

WOW air’s bankruptcy last Thursday has already led to some 1,500 layoffs so far, the largest mass layoff in Icelandic history.

The vast majority of those left unemployed, or around 1,100, were employees of WOW.
Another 315 were laid off by Airport Associates, which provides air terminal service at Keflavík Airport.

A large construction company in the Keflavík area has let go of 40 employees, while tour bus company Reykjavík Excursions has laid off 59.

Keflavík airport’s Duty Free stores have also laid off six employees, citing that around 30% of passenger traffic at the airport was due to WOW air’s flights.

Hope those left unemployed after WW's demise will find a job soon.

The loss of WOW air should be no problem for a nation that demonstrated remarkable resiliency to the world after the 2008-2011 Icelandic financial crisis. If nothing else, the reckless expansion of WW attracted carriers like AA, AC, DL and UA to KEF - major airlines that weren't flying tourists to Iceland before.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

B727skyguy

Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:43 am

When Braniff International Airways (BN) shut down in May 1982, they quietly started cancelling their international flights and brought those planes back to the US. At the time, no one was sure why the flights were being cancelled. There's an interesting book called "Splash of Colors" by John Nance. It's an excellent read. I'm surprised WW didn't do something similar. I suppose the lessor will have to repossess the planes and have their own pilots ferry them out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos