jplatts
Topic Author

WN at MDW - 2018

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:40 pm

While WN already has nonstop service to most of its domestic destinations from MDW, WN could add MDW-ELP and MDW-RIC nonstop service. In addition, WN could also bring back MDW-LIT and MDW-TUL nonstop service.

Is WN likely to add MDW-ELP and MDW-RIC nonstop service anytime soon? Is WN likely to bring back MDW-LIT or MDW-TUL nonstop service?

I am surprised that OKC has only 1 daily nonstop to MDW on WN when most of the similarly-sized markets that have nonstop service to MDW have at least 2 daily nonstops to MDW on WN. WN could increase OKC-MDW to at least 2 daily nonstops, and there are connecting opportunities at MDW to destinations that aren't served nonstop from OKC such as CVG, PIT, LGA, and BOS.

Is WN likely to add any new nonstop routes out of MDW such as MDW-ELP or MDW-RIC anytime soon? Is WN planning on further expansion at MDW, or will WN focus its expansion efforts at other stations such as BNA, CMH, MKE, STL, MCI, DEN, and LAS instead?

sw733

Re: WN at MDW - 2018

Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:48 pm

jplatts wrote:
I am surprised that OKC has only 1 daily nonstop to MDW on WN when most of the similarly-sized markets that have nonstop service to MDW have at least 2 daily nonstops to MDW on WN. WN could increase OKC-MDW to at least 2 daily nonstops, and there are connecting opportunities at MDW to destinations that aren't served nonstop from OKC such as CVG, PIT, LGA, and BOS.

I mean, I think that if WN saw a need for 2x (or 200x, for that matter) daily MDW-OKC, they would do it. But if they aren't, there are a few possible reasons:

1) They don't feel the market is there
2) The opportunity cost is such that the aircraft/crew can be better used elsewhere, or
3) They don't have an aircraft/crew to allocate to that route (unlikely)

canyonblue17

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:12 pm

Still don't have MDW-PBI, even though AA does ORD-PBI 2 or 3X daily.
negative ghostrider the pattern is full

UWPAviation

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:13 pm

WN might be one of the smartest airlines when it comes to opening up new routes. If they see a need for MDW-OKC 2x daily they will do it. However it seems now, like you said, they are focused on STL, MKE, DEN, LAS. Obviously they see a lot of money to be made at those airports. I can speak to the state of WI. We love WN. In-fact, its the largest career per pax in the state. WN knows this, hence why they are adding more routes.

pmanni1

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:28 pm

WN said a few years back that smaller markets like LIT, TUL, ICT, DSM cannot support 3 carriers to Chicago and are now all routed through STL.

jplatts
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:01 pm

pmanni1 wrote:
WN said a few years back that smaller markets like LIT, TUL, ICT, DSM cannot support 3 carriers to Chicago and are now all routed through STL.

TUL is actually located in a bigger metro area than some other destinations that still have nonstop service to MDW on WN such as OMA, ABQ, ALB, and CHS. TUL is probably in a big enough market to support nonstop service to MDW since WN still has nonstop service out of MDW to a few markets that are smaller than TUL.

There was somebody else who mentioned WN possibly bringing back DSM-MDW nonstop service and possibly adding DSM-DEN nonstop service in another Airliners.net forum post (which can be found at https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1397165&start=50#p20509079). However, I am unsure if WN will actually bring back DSM-MDW nonstop service anytime soon.

WN732

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 pm

I can't see ELP-MDW just yet. The ORD flights from ELP are mostly connections. They would gain very little connection wise as you can make 1 stop connections through their other hubs. Sometimes these are totally redundant as it is. They barely started DEN-ELP 1x daily. I'd say BWI would come before MDW. Hell, I'd even say BNA-ELP would get reinstated before all of that.

jplatts
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:49 pm

I am surprised that WN hasn't yet added MDW-RIC nonstop service with WN having added nonstop service from MDW to other destinations acquired through the WN-FL merger such as CLT, MEM, and DCA. RIC can likely support nonstop service out of MDW on WN since WN already has nonstop service to East Coast markets smaller than RIC from MDW. I am also surprised that WN kept the RIC-ATL nonstop route inherited from the WN-FL merger when FL dropped ATL-BUF, ATL-CLT, ATL-DAY, ATL-FNT, ATL-MEM, ATL-PNS, ATL-PWM, ATL-ROC, and ATL-ICT nonstop service during the WN-FL merger.

WN would be able to connect passengers to more destinations from RIC (and vice versa) if it added MDW-RIC nonstop service, and there are some WN destinations west of the Mississippi that have nonstop service out of MDW but not from ATL. WN can also shift some of the connecting traffic to and from RIC over to MDW if it adds RIC-MDW nonstop service.

Why didn't WN add RIC-MDW 5 years ago when WN added nonstop service out of MDW to other destinations acquired through the WN-FL merger?
Last edited by jplatts on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElroyJetson

Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:19 pm

WN will never add MDW-RIC. After literally 16 years of promises that ship has sailed.
707 717 727 72S 737 733 737-700 747 757 753 767-300 764 A319 A320 DC-9-10 DC-9-30 DC-9-50, MD-82 MD-88 MD-90 DC-10-10 DC-10-40 F-100

jplatts
Topic Author

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:46 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
WN will never add MDW-RIC. After literally 16 years of promises that ship has sailed.

While there are some individuals who think that WN adding MDW-RIC nonstop service is unlikely to ever happen, I think that WN adding MDW-RIC nonstop service might possibly happen at some point with RIC being larger than some of the markets in the Eastern U.S. that are already served nonstop from MDW on WN.

There is actually more demand for flights out of RIC than there is out of ALB, BHM, GRR, SDF, and MHT. RIC is certainly in a big enough market to support nonstop service to MDW since RIC is located in a larger market than SDF, MSY, BDL, BHM, BUF, ROC, GRR, TUS, and ALB. RIC is also one of the few remaining domestic expansion opportunities that exists for WN at MDW.

It actually took WN 29 years before MDW-DAL got added, but DAL was subject to Wright Amendment restrictions that prohibited WN from serving MDW nonstop from DAL prior to its repeal on October 13, 2014.

There are a few other domestic expansion opportunities for WN at MDW such as adding MDW-ANC, MDW-SAV, and MDW-SYR nonstop service, but WN doesn't currently serve ANC, SAV, and SYR whereas WN already serves RIC. There have been some other individuals who think that WN might start service out of SYR in the near future, and I think that WN would likely add MDW-SYR nonstop service if it starts service out of SYR.

timberwolf24

Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:49 am

It would be nice if WN adds more international service out of MDW.
Living in LA, ORD/MDW will always be home!

jplatts
Topic Author

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:04 am

timberwolf24 wrote:
It would be nice if WN adds more international service out of MDW.

I agree that WN could add more nonstop international routes out of MDW, including to a few existing WN international destinations such as PVR, BZE, and SJO.

WN has said that it wants to expand into Canada, and WN could add nonstop service to Canadian destinations such as YVR, YYC, YWG, YYZ, and YUL out of MDW.

stlgph

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Instead of looking at a map for random cities for Southwest to fly to, better start with looking at a gate map of Midway Airport and finding some available space.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Jshank83

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:53 pm

jplatts wrote:
It actually took WN 29 years before MDW-DAL got added, but DAL was subject to Wright Amendment restrictions that prohibited WN from serving MDW nonstop from DAL prior to its repeal on October 13, 2014.

So really you can't use this in your point since the only reason it wasn't added was because of the Wright amendment. It has nothing to do with any other route they might add to MDW.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos