Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rbavfan

Re: Fly Jamaica 757 RWY excursion

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:24 am

lovebird wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
baje427 wrote:
Happy to hear everyone is safe I have to say this is a huge blow for OJ sadly I suspect this is the end of the line for them.

1 crash does not mean it's the end for them. They have been fling from 2013 so that statement is rather short sighted from you.

It can signify more difficult times. From an insider a year ago told me, they were low on available cash when they had issues and had to keep leasing planes.

Currently, they have 0 active planes flying as their other plane (the 767) is currently undergoing a C check. I wish them a very fast recovery.

Based on that logic Delta Airlines first crash 6 years into their operations should mean they went out of business. Mind you that was 1935.

lovebird

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:48 am

rbavfan wrote:
lovebird wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

1 crash does not mean it's the end for them. They have been fling from 2013 so that statement is rather short sighted from you.

It can signify more difficult times. From an insider a year ago told me, they were low on available cash when they had issues and had to keep leasing planes.

Currently, they have 0 active planes flying as their other plane (the 767) is currently undergoing a C check. I wish them a very fast recovery.

Based on that logic Delta Airlines first crash 6 years into their operations should mean they went out of business. Mind you that was 1935.

That was completely a different time.
I'm not saying they WILL go bust, but it will be extremely difficult for them. They recently escaped from a delay nightmare and lost trust and faith in many of their customers, not to mention the passengers have a lot of other options (especially in Jamaica).

I wish them the best.

Brickell305

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:59 am

rbavfan wrote:
baje427 wrote:
Happy to hear everyone is safe I have to say this is a huge blow for OJ sadly I suspect this is the end of the line for them.

They’ve been hanging on by a thread. The question of their viability is certainly warranted.

maint123

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Boeing seems to be having the majority of bad incidents recently as compared to Airbus.
The lion air crash and now this seem to point towards a badly aging aircrafts and lack of due diligence while commissioning new variants.
What seems to be the reason for these recurring issues in primarily Boeing planes ?

PITingres

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:05 pm

maint123 wrote:
Boeing seems to be having the majority of bad incidents recently as compared to Airbus.
The lion air crash and now this seem to point towards a badly aging aircrafts and lack of due diligence while commissioning new variants.
What seems to be the reason for these recurring issues in primarily Boeing planes ?

The two accidents have nothing to do with one another, and in fact the Lion Air accident was on a new airplane, so I don't know where you are coming from with "badly aging". If Boeing has had a run of accidents / incidents, which I don't know is true anyway, it would be a statistical fluke. You are seeing things that aren't there.
Fly, you fools! Fly!

DohwanKim747

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:19 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
stlgph wrote:
Half the fleet - damn, will be interesting to see how they survive, if they survive.

And if they do, will be interesting to see how the magic unfolds as the 757 let them be pushed off into the corner Gate 1 at T1 at JFK since there arent too many open gate spaces for a larger frame when they come and go.

The gate that can fit a small plane can fit a plane as large as a Boeing 767-300ER...OS uses that gate when they operate a 767 from VIE to JFK. The question now is from whom will OJ source a frame (the 767 they fly is owned by OJ).

Wikipedia states that OJ is purchasing a replacement 757 from SBA Airlines

Cubsrule

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:24 pm

PITingres wrote:
maint123 wrote:

The two accidents have nothing to do with one another, and in fact the Lion Air accident was on a new airplane, so I don't know where you are coming from with "badly aging". If Boeing has had a run of accidents / incidents, which I don't know is true anyway, it would be a statistical fluke. You are seeing things that aren't there.

Not sure why I’m feeding the troll, but when was the last time that an experienced 757 operator (like the US Big 3 or FX or BA or MT) had an accident that had anything to do with the airplane? For hopefully obvious reasons, 9/11 and the AA CFIT in Colombia and overrun in JAC don’t count.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

1989worstyear

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
PITingres wrote:
maint123 wrote:

Not sure why I’m feeding the troll, but when was the last time that an experienced 757 operator (like the US Big 3 or FX or BA or MT) had an accident that had anything to do with the airplane? For hopefully obvious reasons, 9/11 and the AA CFIT in Colombia and overrun in JAC don’t count.

Smaller sample size compared to a modern type like the A320 or 777. Aren't there only about 600 left in service, and most as freighters?
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

n471wn

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 pm

698 757’s are still in service (out of 1050 built) with approximately 400 of those in passenger service

mwmav8r01

Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:29 pm

HoboJoe wrote:
757 can stop on a dime - bad piloting

Thats a bold statement with out facts. Yes the 757 stops great but what else was going on?

usxguy

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:06 pm

mwmav8r01 wrote:
HoboJoe wrote:
757 can stop on a dime - bad piloting

Thats a bold statement with out facts. Yes the 757 stops great but what else was going on?

Well, 757s most certainly can stop on a dime, considering how light they are at the end of their mission (flight). This guy landed probably damn near close to his MLW/MTOW - something we don't see often with 757s.
xx

maint123

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:52 am

I like how from the first page the fans here start questioning the pilots competence when it's clearly mentioned that the plane had a hydraulic problem. And I am termed a troll for mentioning the spate of issues effecting Boeing in recent weeks.
Carry on.

AirlineCritic

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:48 am

There might be leasable/buyable 757s to use.

admanager

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:36 am

Most passengers are still stuck in Guyana and not yet returned to Toronto (as far as the uninjured, no news on the injured). Based on the 10pm news tonight (Sunday) the airline has not handled this well.

BW985

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:40 pm

Firefighters accused of stealing from crashed Fly Jamaica plane.

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/guyan ... ica-plane/

https://www.stabroeknews.com/2018/news/ ... ica-plane/

What a nightmare it must be to have your stuff stolen from your hand luggage after surviving a crash.

guyanam

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:21 am

BW985 wrote:
Firefighters accused of stealing from crashed Fly Jamaica plane.

https://www.stlucianewsonline.com/guyan ... ica-plane/

https://www.stabroeknews.com/2018/news/ ... ica-plane/

What a nightmare it must be to have your stuff stolen from your hand luggage after surviving a crash.

Not unusual. Our office in NYC was near a gas explosion and when we returned stuff was missing. The area had been secured by the police so it was either they or the firefighters who were responsible.

juliuswong

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 am

N524AT has been declared write off, sad ending to a beauty.....She was just 19 years old!! 895th 757 off production line!
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

gunnerman

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:16 pm

admanager wrote:
Most passengers are still stuck in Guyana and not yet returned to Toronto (as far as the uninjured, no news on the injured). Based on the 10pm news tonight (Sunday) the airline has not handled this well.

What you'd expect is for passengers to be accommodated on other airlines' flights. But are flights heaviliy booked out of Guyana these days? I had a look at BW's availability on GEO-YYZ for today (Tuesday) and tomorrow and found a total of just four seats on sale.

STLflyer

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:10 pm

gunnerman wrote:
admanager wrote:

What you'd expect is for passengers to be accommodated on other airlines' flights. But are flights heaviliy booked out of Guyana these days? I had a look at BW's availability on GEO-YYZ for today (Tuesday) and tomorrow and found a total of just four seats on sale.

There's not a ton of capacity out of GEO to begin with. Seems like the best thing to do is charter an aircraft from another operator.

debonair

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:51 am

Latest report, one woman (86) died few days after the crash. Very sad news...

Today's flight was operated by Eastern N602KW but reported to be diverted on the way to YYZ to Kingston - any idea why?!

United_fan

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:31 pm

I heard them come into JFK this weekend with a 'heavy' ,it was a 767-200 from Swift/Eastern.Using a greenheart c/s.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

gunnerman

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 pm

Having used the 762 for a GEO-YYZ return trip, the aircraft is being used for other flights, namely:
GEO-KIN
KIN-JFK
JFK-GEO
GEO-JFK
JFK-KIN

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos