msycajun
Topic Author

NK Announces AUS-FLL/MCO/BWI/MSY/DEN/ORD/DTW/LAS/LAX

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Miramar-based Spirit Airlines Inc. will host daily nonstop flights to and from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) to nine major airports, including Fort Lauderdale – Hollywood International Airport (FLL) starting Feb. 14, 2019.

The discount carrier (NYSE: SAVE) said Wednesday the Austin flight will be its 70th destination and will generate 50 jobs. Austin is the airline's third destination in Texas. It currently operates in Dallas and Houston.

Its Austin to Los Angeles International Airport nonstop flights will begin May 2, 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2018/11/14/spirit-to-launch-flight-between-fll-austin.html

Big splash for NK, after a few days of new route announcements. Will be interesting to see which markets are next.

jasoncrh

Re: NK Announces AUS-FLL/MCO/BWI/MSY/DEN/ORD/DTW/LAS/LAX

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:33 pm

this article is painful to read and poorly written.

MIflyer12

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:42 pm

That's certainly a challenge to Delta's plans to make AUS a focus city.

MIflyer12

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:42 pm

Beechtobus

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:05 pm

They are definitely starting AUS in a big way as far as Spirit goes. I don’t remember the last time NK jumped into a new city with 9 or more nonstop destinations right off the bat. I’m surpised that Business Journals released the announcement before Spirit did on thier site. The story is legit though as AUS is now bookable.

enilria

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:10 pm

msycajun wrote:
Miramar-based Spirit Airlines Inc. will host daily nonstop flights to and from Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) to nine major airports, including Fort Lauderdale – Hollywood International Airport (FLL) starting Feb. 14, 2019.

The discount carrier (NYSE: SAVE) said Wednesday the Austin flight will be its 70th destination and will generate 50 jobs. Austin is the airline's third destination in Texas. It currently operates in Dallas and Houston.

Its Austin to Los Angeles International Airport nonstop flights will begin May 2, 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/news/2018/11/14/spirit-to-launch-flight-between-fll-austin.html

Big splash for NK, after a few days of new route announcements. Will be interesting to see which markets are next.

This will be easier
http://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/news ... gs-its-low

These are all daily. I doubt they have 3 airplanes just sitting around which tells me they will cut something. I suspect DFW or IAH will see a reduction.

jplatts

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:12 pm

Beechtobus wrote:
They are definitely starting AUS in a big way as far as Spirit goes. I don’t remember the last time NK jumped into a new city with 9 or more nonstop destinations right off the bat. I’m surpised that Business Journals released the announcement before Spirit did on thier site. The story is legit though as AUS is now bookable.

NK actually significantly expanded at DFW in 2012 and 2013, and NK served 17 destinations nonstop from DFW in 2012 and 22 destinations nonstop from DFW in 2013.

jplatts

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:15 pm

msycajun wrote:

While NK will not be initially serving MSP, MYR, or TPA nonstop from AUS, NK could add nonstop service to MSP, MYR, and TPA from AUS.

FLYKTPA

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:17 pm

enilria wrote:
msycajun wrote:

This will be easier
http://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/news ... gs-its-low

These are all daily. I doubt they have 3 airplanes just sitting around which tells me they will cut something. I suspect DFW or IAH will see a reduction.

NK has new aircraft delivered every quarter. I doubt anything will be cut. The added CMH and RIC last Feb among other new routes. They always seem to get a few new aircraft in Q1.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

msycajun
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:24 pm

enilria wrote:

17 new planes added this year and 15 scheduled for 2019. 9 flights are probably 4 or 5 planes' worth at most, so still plenty of room for growth even after the recent MCO, SJU, and JAX expansions.

FA9295

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:38 pm

jasoncrh wrote:

WTF dude...?

flyingclrs727

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:40 pm

I find that advance fares on WN are cheaper than NK with lots less hassle. Not only does WN have up to 2 free 50 lb bags, NK charges for the first 40 lb bag plus charges for a carry on that uses the overhead bin. You'll pay double the baggage charge for a 41 - 50 lb bag. Then, you'll pay even more for a 51 - 70 lb bag.

tcfc424

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 pm

None of the press releases or articles mention which terminal NK will operate from. With the F9 move to the south terminal, it seems like that would be a crowded place to add 9+ daily flights, even if Via Air is done. That does, however, seem to be along the lines of how Spirit operates and I was surprised they did not announce service when the South Terminal was announced.

I agree, this definitely complicates the Delta growth issue.

CHIMAA

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:16 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
I find that advance fares on WN are cheaper than NK with lots less hassle. Not only does WN have up to 2 free 50 lb bags, NK charges for the first 40 lb bag plus charges for a carry on that uses the overhead bin. You'll pay double the baggage charge for a 41 - 50 lb bag. Then, you'll pay even more for a 51 - 70 lb bag.

I think this is Initial price load to gauge the market. They will start tapering to $60~ 70's shortly and at that level it is a very good fare when compared to legacy(even WN). YOu can pick and choose what you need add on's . I welcome NK & F9 anytime to my markets. I love them. Multiple times i took last minute vacations with a day or two to spare for full family under half a grand with them whereas legacy's (including WN) wants at least 4 to 5 times that cost.. :checkmark: :checkeredflag:

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:16 pm

They are beating Delta and getting in early. It does seem odd for Delta to announce they will focus on AUS then add no routes? Wouldn't be shocked if we see a few airlines boost their AUS seat numbers. Good to get in early.

ScottB

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:19 pm

enilria wrote:
I doubt they have 3 airplanes just sitting around which tells me they will cut something. I suspect DFW or IAH will see a reduction.

They have 13 net new aircraft joining the fleet in 2018Q4 and 2019Q1 combined. They have enough capacity coming in to not cut other flying.

jplatts wrote:
NK served 17 destinations nonstop from DFW in 2012 and 22 destinations nonstop from DFW in 2013.

And they are back down to 17 from DFW in the current schedule.

MIflyer12 wrote:

Not really. DL already serves DTW and LAX from AUS, and it's unlikely they'd add most of the routes NK just announced from AUS even if they plan a "focus city."

spinkid

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Great news for Austin.
All Daily as well. This entry reminds me of the way Southwest used to enter a new market. They would start a station with at least 7 or 8 new daily non stop routes.

Beechtobus

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

jplatts wrote:
Beechtobus wrote:

NK actually significantly expanded at DFW in 2012 and 2013, and NK served 17 destinations nonstop from DFW in 2012 and 22 destinations nonstop from DFW in 2013.

Right, but I was making the point that as a brand new city announcement, I don’t ever recall seeing Spirit announce 9 (or more) non stop destinations with the initial new city announcement. When Spirit first (re)announced DFW as a new city back in 2010 (DFW was served only from FLL for a short time in 2007-2008 I believe), the only initial nonstop destinations were LAS, ORD and FLL. Only later in 2011-12 as you mentioned, came large scale expansion and many nonstop cities being announce at one time from DFW.

TyroneShoes

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm surprised no direct flights to IAH and DFW.

jasoncrh

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:46 pm

What do you mean "WTF"? whoever wrote that article did a poor job - mentioned airports instead of city names (said "Mccarran" as one of the destinations instead of Las Vegas - I dont think your average reader of the South Florida Business times would know that Mccarran would mean Las Vegas), and did a poor job with bad grammar throughout. While I like what Spirit is doing, the journalist did a piss poor job covering it and reporting it.

FA9295 wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:

WTF dude...?

EvanWSFO

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:04 pm

jasoncrh wrote:
What do you mean "WTF"? whoever wrote that article did a poor job - mentioned airports instead of city names (said "Mccarran" as one of the destinations instead of Las Vegas - I dont think your average reader of the South Florida Business times would know that Mccarran would mean Las Vegas), and did a poor job with bad grammar throughout. While I like what Spirit is doing, the journalist did a piss poor job covering it and reporting it.

FA9295 wrote:
jasoncrh wrote:

WTF dude...?

I would venture a guess people who read various cities Business Journals know where these airports are. I found a couple of word usage and punctuation errors. The rest read like a normal story to me.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

24Whiskey

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:13 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:

I think most people drive at this point. Believe it or not I-35 north of Austin is becoming - somewhat - bearable.

It generally takes longer to drive to the airport, (realize your flight is in the South terminal), clear security, wait to board, actually fly, claim baggage, then arrange transportation to your actual destination in either metro area.

VX got hammered doing AUS-DAL without connections.
Last edited by 24Whiskey on Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SFOtoORD

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:14 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
They are beating Delta and getting in early. It does seem odd for Delta to announce they will focus on AUS then add no routes? Wouldn't be shocked if we see a few airlines boost their AUS seat numbers. Good to get in early.

DL is already far larger than NK at AUS and I doubt these 9 flights do much to change DLs plans.

24Whiskey

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:18 pm

SFOtoORD wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

DL is already far larger than NK at AUS and I doubt these 9 flights do much to change DLs plans.

It’s worth pointing out they’re doing just fine with RDU despite F9’s competition

enilria

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 pm

ScottB wrote:
enilria wrote:
I doubt they have 3 airplanes just sitting around which tells me they will cut something. I suspect DFW or IAH will see a reduction.

They have 13 net new aircraft joining the fleet in 2018Q4 and 2019Q1 combined. They have enough capacity coming in to not cut other flying.

Sure but I'd be surprised if three are delivered in a single month. Maybe. I don't think they've been doing well in DFW, although IAH has looked more successful.

rph99

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:21 pm

Why not just merge with F9? Both going to try to compete here? It just seems like a perfect merger in my opinion.

Could Indigo afford to buy our Spirit?

ScottB

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:44 pm

enilria wrote:
Sure but I'd be surprised if three are delivered in a single month. Maybe. I don't think they've been doing well in DFW, although IAH has looked more successful.

With 13 in six months, there has to be at least one month with three deliveries (and FWIW eight of those are in the current quarter with five next quarter). I agree that they've probably been doing more poorly at DFW; they really got hit with a double whammy there. WN gained the ability to fly more places non-stop from DAL and added a bunch of capacity into the market, and as a side effect AA was forced to compete more aggressively on price in more markets (they couldn't charge as great a premium for non-stop DFW-LAX anymore, for example). Then AA decided to respond more aggressively to NK with Basic Economy pricing.

UA pulled a fair bit of capacity out of IAH between 2015 and 2018; they dropped by about a million-and-a-half annual passengers from the City's FY 2015 count to FY 2018. That's quite a bit of opportunity for NK.

24Whiskey wrote:
TyroneShoes wrote:

I think most people drive at this point. Believe it or not I-35 north of Austin is becoming - somewhat - bearable.

It generally takes longer to drive to the airport, (realize your flight is in the South terminal), clear security, wait to board, actually fly, claim baggage, then arrange transportation to your actual destination in either metro area.

Not just that, but once people learn that the $29 fare comes with a bunch of bait-and-switch fees, they just go back to driving. Business passengers are largely going to stay on WN/AA/UA because single daily services aren't acceptable to them.

INFINITI329

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:49 pm

Southwest now has fights brewing on two fronts...NK & DL

tkoenig95

Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:50 pm

I think it's safe to say that the AUS/Central Texas market will gladly accept NK and the 9 cities mentioned. DL and NK serve completely different customer bases and the forward movement, if true, of the DL focus city shouldn't be harmed at all. The AUS metropolitan area should be pushing 2.5 million by now, and more airline service is always welcome.

peanuts

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:04 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

DL has plans to make AUS a focus city? You were just being sarcastic based on previous threads I take it... :)

Even if so, DL and NK are different animals. NK wouldn't stop DL from organic growth at AUS. People are figuring out you're SOL when flying NK during irregular operations. DL has you covered.

MIflyer12

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 pm

ScottB wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Not really. DL already serves DTW and LAX from AUS, and it's unlikely they'd add most of the routes NK just announced from AUS even if they plan a "focus city."

We're going to have to have to disagree on that. IMHO, from a DL AUS focus city LAS, MCO and MSY would be obvious adds.

Italianflyer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:12 pm

*IF* DL has plans for AUS then this won't deter them. NK & DL chase totally different demographics and I don't think they view each other as true competitors.

MIflyer12

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:14 pm

peanuts wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

DL has plans to make AUS a focus city? You were just being sarcastic based on previous threads I take it... :)

Even if so, DL and NK are different animals. NK wouldn't stop DL from organic growth at AUS. People are figuring out you're SOL when flying NK during irregular operations. DL has you covered.

You can keep telling yourself that smug rationalization. NK competes effectively with DL at DTW - it's bigger than WN, AA or UA.

INFINITI329

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 pm

Southwest now has fights brewing on two fronts...NK & DL

Bobloblaw

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Italianflyer wrote:
*IF* DL has plans for AUS then this won't deter them. NK & DL chase totally different demographics and I don't think they view each other as true competitors.

Delta has very little loyalty in AUS. They cant expect the revenue premium over NK in AUS that they get in ATL or even DTW.

tphuang

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:28 pm

To say that NK entering 9 markets would not have any impact on DL plans is quite ridiculous. They may not be able to get the business customers, but they will be fighting WN and legacies for all the other customers. Not only is NK adding to AUS, WN will most likely respond with more capacity, which will only make the fare environment tougher at AUS. This is not DTW where DL can just rely on all the ffs pay premium to fly them. They actually need to fight LCC/ULCCs to fill cabin.

MIflyer12 wrote:
ScottB wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

We're going to have to have to disagree on that. IMHO, from a DL AUS focus city LAS, MCO and MSY would be obvious adds.

Totally agreed, LAS, MCO and MSY are obvious adds for DL in any kind of buildup. I don't see how adding an additional competitor will not matter. 3 competitors on some of these routes seem to be too many. And I will say this now, I would not be surprised if B6 pulls out of AUS-MCO with NK in there.

ERJ170

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:32 pm

Can AUS sustain all this new service? This is a lot of new service from a lot of airlines looking for the same number of passengers. I know AUS is growing, but is this sustainable or is it better to get slower and more sustained growth.

Just wondering. Its great for new airlines and new service.. but I wonder if all of this will be detrimental to the other and potentially cause a drawback in the future.
Aiming High and going far..

slcdeltarumd11

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:34 pm

Italianflyer wrote:

They might not have the same FF base, but people shift loyalty based on price when it's their dime. For even the most loyal delta flyers, NK reduces the premium Delta can command for their non-stop. If you are the only non-stop you can command a much higher price. Competition limits Deltas yields, NK being in those markets will affect IF delta launches these markets.

rajincajun01

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:39 pm

ERJ170 wrote:
Can AUS sustain all this new service? This is a lot of new service from a lot of airlines looking for the same number of passengers. I know AUS is growing, but is this sustainable or is it better to get slower and more sustained growth.

Just wondering. Its great for new airlines and new service.. but I wonder if all of this will be detrimental to the other and potentially cause a drawback in the future.

AUS has more passengers than RDU. Most of these routes will stick. AUS also has a lot more diverse of a customer base than RDU does as well, which is why you see more competition among more airlines.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

peanuts

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Hmmm...
So if I purchase today:
TPA-DTW n/s one way
Nov 16
NK $261 (3 flights)
DL $409 (4 flights)

or

Nov 29
NK $81 (3 flights)
DL $229 (5 flights)

sonicruiser

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:49 pm

NK has just added more destinations in one go than all of DL's existing destinations combined. That will definitely throw a wrench in DL's plans for AUS because it looks like NK has beat them to the punch.

enilria

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:54 pm

ScottB wrote:
With 13 in six months, there has to be at least one month with three deliveries (and FWIW eight of those are in the current quarter with five next quarter). I agree that they've probably been doing more poorly at DFW; they really got hit with a double whammy there. WN gained the ability to fly more places non-stop from DAL and added a bunch of capacity into the market, and as a side effect AA was forced to compete more aggressively on price in more markets (they couldn't charge as great a premium for non-stop DFW-LAX anymore, for example). Then AA decided to respond more aggressively to NK with Basic Economy pricing.

UA pulled a fair bit of capacity out of IAH between 2015 and 2018; they dropped by about a million-and-a-half annual passengers from the City's FY 2015 count to FY 2018. That's quite a bit of opportunity for NK.

I guess it's conceivable it's all growth, but I think we saw in the OAG load that NK added frequency in a few markets in that same timeframe already. I guess if it was me doing it, I would want to find some crappy stuff, drop it, and then it means I can put in AUS with a lot of flights and some of it only has to be better than the crappy stuffed I dropped to be earnings neutral. This is exactly how Delta manages its expansions in LAX, SEA, BOS etc. It's more likely to be accretive with that strategy if you are making big moves. Then you can add some onesies and twosies elsewhere in the network that aren't as risky as a huge entrance into a single market where you are unknown.

I know it seems like this is no bigger than what F9 does, but this is all daily. This is equal to F9 adding 27 destinations from a city with their 2/week schedules. This is a huge move for an airline of NK's size. It's like 2% of their fleet. That's going to impact earnings one way or the other.

tcfc424

Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:58 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

The new services aren't pulling from the same number of passengers. Traffic for September (as reported by the airport at http://www.austintexas.gov/news/septemb ... -bergstrom) was 1,249,777 up 13.7% year over year, or an increase of ~171,219 passengers. Split between an average 737 at 170 seats, that would be 1,007 aircraft movements (IIRC this would be arrivals and departures, so really just 500 flights) which would be an additional 17 737's per day.

*These are all back-of-the-napkin numbers except for the total passenger traffic number.

osupoke07

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:03 pm

24Whiskey wrote:
VX got hammered doing AUS-DAL without connections.

VX was (IMO) merely keeping a full schedule at DAL so they didn't lose any slots while they figured out where to re-align capacity. But back to NK, good luck to them on their new routes.
MD82, MD83, MD88, B717, B732, B733, B735, B737, B738, B739, B752, B763, B77W, CR2, CR7, CR9, A320, A321

EvanWSFO

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:09 pm

sonicruiser wrote:
NK has just added more destinations in one go than all of DL's existing destinations combined. That will definitely throw a wrench in DL's plans for AUS because it looks like NK has beat them to the punch.

Depends on how many of those flights stick. NK doesn't hesitate to pull the plug on routes. How many cities did NK try from DFW when they were building it up? How many do they still serve? I doubt DL is losing sleep over NK's plan.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

winginit

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Bobloblaw wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

Delta has very little loyalty in AUS. They cant expect the revenue premium over NK in AUS that they get in ATL or even DTW.

They may be able to though - you're talking about two very different target passengers there in a city that has notable corporate traffic. I can't think of a single Fortune 100 who has NK as a preferred carrier or even has them display in their OBT, and DL likely engages in Corporate contracting with the major corporate players in AUS that include Dell, Apple, Deloitte, The University of Texas, Oracle, Applied Materials, Facebook, and so on and so forth. That corporate traffic alone will result in a DL revenue premium to NK that's likely comparable to say DTW or ATL. Whether DL can command a revenue premium to AA or possibly even WN is a different story.

william

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 pm

ERJ170 wrote:

150 people a day move to Austin...........150 A DAY. One could make the argument that AUS does not have enough service.

william

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:28 pm

And if may add, NK has plenty of new aircraft coming onboard for growth.

http://ir.spirit.com/static-files/93438 ... 6777f09809

DeltaRules

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:40 pm

Beechtobus wrote:

I was going to say, CMH started with 7, but now they've launched AUS with 9. Go big or go home?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

Bobloblaw

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:46 pm

winginit wrote:
Bobloblaw wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

They may be able to though - you're talking about two very different target passengers there in a city that has notable corporate traffic. I can't think of a single Fortune 100 who has NK as a preferred carrier or even has them display in their OBT, and DL likely engages in Corporate contracting with the major corporate players in AUS that include Dell, Apple, Deloitte, The University of Texas, Oracle, Applied Materials, Facebook, and so on and so forth. That corporate traffic alone will result in a DL revenue premium to NK that's likely comparable to say DTW or ATL. Whether DL can command a revenue premium to AA or possibly even WN is a different story.

Delta is #4 in AUS, behind WN, AA and UA. They have a tough hill to climb to be the preferred carrier in AUS. I didnt say that DL wouldnt get a revenue premium over NK, just not one like they have in ATL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos