msycajun
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:42 pm

http://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/news-release-details/let-good-times-roll-spirit-airlines-adds-more-nonstop-flights

New Orleans (MSY) to/from Starts: Frequency:
Denver, CO (DEN) February 14, 2019 Daily, year-round
Austin, TX (AUS) February 14, 2019 Daily, year-round
Philadelphia, PA (PHL) May 2, 2019 4x weekly, seasonal

It appears to me that NK is really taking aim at F9 with many of its recent adds. All of these new MSY routes are currently flown by F9 and many of the new AUS routes are also F9 routes - MCO, DEN, LAS, MSY, and LAX (although F9 does AUS-ONT/SNA)
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8376
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:45 pm

Enilira's NK list will be loooooong this week !!!
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
JAXDan
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:55 am

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:57 pm

With all the adds this week i'm surprised they aren't trying MSY-JAX which is currently an unserved route.
 
joeblow10
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Geez, DEN gets MCO, AUS, and now MSY on NK all in one week.
 
Flighty
Posts: 9963
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:07 am

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Must be some powerful crack.
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:05 pm

DEN getting quite a bit of love from NK this year! BWI, MCO, AUS, and MSY so far in 2018.
 
Beechtobus
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:09 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:08 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Geez, DEN gets MCO, AUS, and now MSY on NK all in one week.


Just beat me to it!
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:39 pm

NK will now fly nonstops to 19 cities from MSY. Impressive.
Spread hope like fire.
 
User avatar
Frontier14
Posts: 606
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:14 am

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:37 pm

msycajun wrote:
http://ir.spirit.com/news-releases/news-release-details/let-good-times-roll-spirit-airlines-adds-more-nonstop-flights

New Orleans (MSY) to/from Starts: Frequency:
Denver, CO (DEN) February 14, 2019 Daily, year-round
Austin, TX (AUS) February 14, 2019 Daily, year-round
Philadelphia, PA (PHL) May 2, 2019 4x weekly, seasonal

It appears to me that NK is really taking aim at F9 with many of its recent adds. All of these new MSY routes are currently flown by F9 and many of the new AUS routes are also F9 routes - MCO, DEN, LAS, MSY, and LAX (although F9 does AUS-ONT/SNA)


You may be spot on with your supposition..........and maybe this is a primer, along with future announcements, that F9 and NK will merge in the next couple of years. :chat:

Frontier 14
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12405
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:23 am

SunsetLimited wrote:
NK will now fly nonstops to 19 cities from MSY. Impressive.

For an airline that wasn't even flying to MSY at all, just a few years ago.

Hope they finally spring for international from there!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:24 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
NK will now fly nonstops to 19 cities from MSY. Impressive.

For an airline that wasn't even flying to MSY at all, just a few years ago.

Hope they finally spring for international from there!


One route (DFW) to 19 in the space of four years is nothing to sneeze at.

With 19, MSY has more NK nonstop destinations than ATL, and it's just behind IAH/DFW, which each seem to have around 21 give or take.

You'd think they'd be actively looking at something like SAP which would also have the benefit of O&D traffic.
Spread hope like fire.
 
msycajun
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:22 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
NK will now fly nonstops to 19 cities from MSY. Impressive.

For an airline that wasn't even flying to MSY at all, just a few years ago.

Hope they finally spring for international from there!


One route (DFW) to 19 in the space of four years is nothing to sneeze at.

With 19, MSY has more NK nonstop destinations than ATL, and it's just behind IAH/DFW, which each seem to have around 21 give or take.

You'd think they'd be actively looking at something like SAP which would also have the benefit of O&D traffic.


I think it needs to happen, but it might take some coordinated effort to lure a few international routes. The domestic adds will help certainly, but NK seems to want to go big, so we might need a significant incentive package to get several routes at once. MBJ, SAP, PUJ, CUN, and maybe SJO would probably work at 2-3 weekly each. We may need a few more domestic routes (PHX, SAN, OAK, PIT, RIC, BDL maybe) and second flights to select cities (MCO, IAH, ORD) to get there though.

What may happen sooner though are some new medium sized domestic stations. BNA, IND, STL, SLC, SJC, SMF, SAT, MKE, CVG would be the major remaining markets, and I'd expect MSY to be connected to most of them when and if they are added.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12405
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:24 pm

SunsetLimited wrote:
You'd think they'd be actively looking at something like SAP which would also have the benefit of O&D traffic.

Agreed, especially since they're already at SAP and are a known/established brand in that market (and MSY now, for that matter).


msycajun wrote:
What may happen sooner though are some new medium sized domestic stations. BNA, IND, STL, SLC, SJC, SMF, SAT, MKE, CVG would be the major remaining markets, and I'd expect MSY to be connected to most of them when and if they are added.

Then there's the last large market:
I've always wondered between AS, F9, and NK... who'd be the more likely to add PDX to MSY.

Who knows, maybe WN could sneak 'em all, with weekend service; though doubt it.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
tbboko802
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:40 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
You'd think they'd be actively looking at something like SAP which would also have the benefit of O&D traffic.

Agreed, especially since they're already at SAP and are a known/established brand in that market (and MSY now, for that matter).


msycajun wrote:
What may happen sooner though are some new medium sized domestic stations. BNA, IND, STL, SLC, SJC, SMF, SAT, MKE, CVG would be the major remaining markets, and I'd expect MSY to be connected to most of them when and if they are added.

Then there's the last large market:
I've always wondered between AS, F9, and NK... who'd be the more likely to add PDX to MSY.

Who knows, maybe WN could sneak 'em all, with weekend service; though doubt it.


Yes, the numbers of destinations between MSY and DFW/IAH is close. BUT however, approximately half of IAH's flights rare 321's and the number of flights per day ranges from 25 to 18.The low flight days are on T and Wed.
In comparison, MSY has a high flight day of 16 flights and with the new flights :19 (3 days per week). I believe DFW is just slightly larger slightly than IAH with regard to Spirit. IAH is rumored is be gaining 4 routes very soon ( 2 domestic and 2 Central American
/S American). The information is from a reliable source but seeing is believing.

The point was that despite the destination #'s being close, the actual traffic is not even in the same ballpark.
Be Open to Change
 
tbboko802
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:12 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:40 am

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL
by tbboko802 » 18 Nov 2018 02:40

LAX772LR wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
You'd think they'd be actively looking at something like SAP which would also have the benefit of O&D traffic.

Agreed, especially since they're already at SAP and are a known/established brand in that market (and MSY now, for that matter).


msycajun wrote:
What may happen sooner though are some new medium sized domestic stations. BNA, IND, STL, SLC, SJC, SMF, SAT, MKE, CVG would be the major remaining markets, and I'd expect MSY to be connected to most of them when and if they are added.

Then there's the last large market:
I've always wondered between AS, F9, and NK... who'd be the more likely to add PDX to MSY.

Who knows, maybe WN could sneak 'em all, with weekend service; though doubt it.


Yes, the numbers of N/S destinations between MSY and DFW/IAH is close. But, approximately half of IAH's flights are 321's and the number of flights per day ranges from 18 to 25.The low flight days are on T and Wed.
In comparison, MSY has a high flight day of 16 flights and with the new flights :19 (3 days per week). I believe DFW is just slightly larger slightly than IAH with regard to Spirit. IAH is rumored is be gaining 4 routes very soon ( 2 domestic and 2 Central American).
/S American). The information is from a reliable source but seeing is believing.

The point was that despite the destination #'s being close, the actual traffic of MSY is not even in the same ballpark as IAH or DFW
Be Open to Change
 
SunsetLimited
Posts: 845
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:46 am

That’s all well and good.
Point is, NK has been a great partner for MSY and they are expected to grow even more with more gates in the new terminal. The growth trajectory is outstanding. In May most of the 19 flights/day will be on 320s so pax counts are only going up.
Spread hope like fire.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12405
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:54 pm

tbboko802 wrote:
The point was that despite the destination #'s being close, the actual traffic is not even in the same ballpark.

Who cares?

No one was trying to make it a pissing match between a medium market versus two superhubs.

...the *actual* point was that an airline who didn't even have a presence at the airport just a few years ago, has already eclipsed one of the Legacies and everything else besides WN+the world's two largest airlines, there.

Which on a relative scale, for a market with service by every significant airline in the lower48, is a noteworthy accomplishment.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
LightningZ71
Posts: 483
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:54 am

MSY may have drastically under estimated the traffic growth when designing their new terminal. I mean, they've already admitted that growth over the last 8 years had significantly exceeded every three year projection window that they've used. But, with NK essentially setting up their traffic flow to allow the airport to be used as a medium hub, we can maybe expect to see MSY's ratio of O/D and transfer traffic begin to shift.

The rumor is circulating again that old concourse D may have to return to service for scheduled traffic at some point. It is already expected to remain for charter and overflow traffic, but, if MSY gets more than one airline hubbing there, that's going to be more than their 34-35 gates are going to be able to conveniently handle. The airport has already said that it'll be many years before they can get the financing in order to add another large concourse at the end of A at the new terminal. Increasing traffic and gradually rising landing fees may help speed that along, but, even if they started one year from now, we're at least two to three years away from that being an open concourse.

I still think that MSY being anything more than a casual or overflow hub is a pipe dream, but, maybe one of the airlines has another idea about that. There are still lots of rumors about WN adding a bunch of central American and Caribbean routes from MSY.
 
msycajun
Topic Author
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:13 am

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:21 am

LightningZ71 wrote:
MSY may have drastically under estimated the traffic growth when designing their new terminal. I mean, they've already admitted that growth over the last 8 years had significantly exceeded every three year projection window that they've used. But, with NK essentially setting up their traffic flow to allow the airport to be used as a medium hub, we can maybe expect to see MSY's ratio of O/D and transfer traffic begin to shift.

The rumor is circulating again that old concourse D may have to return to service for scheduled traffic at some point. It is already expected to remain for charter and overflow traffic, but, if MSY gets more than one airline hubbing there, that's going to be more than their 34-35 gates are going to be able to conveniently handle. The airport has already said that it'll be many years before they can get the financing in order to add another large concourse at the end of A at the new terminal. Increasing traffic and gradually rising landing fees may help speed that along, but, even if they started one year from now, we're at least two to three years away from that being an open concourse.

I still think that MSY being anything more than a casual or overflow hub is a pipe dream, but, maybe one of the airlines has another idea about that. There are still lots of rumors about WN adding a bunch of central American and Caribbean routes from MSY.


That would all mesh with what I'm seeing. We're well on pace for 13 and a quarter million this year and I'm seeing at least 1.5 million annualized additional seats for 2019. We may be flirting with 15 million next year. While it's still only in the 5 departure per gate range, at some point you start to exceed the capacity for pickup/dropoff, check-in, security, bathrooms, and concessions, not to mention road access. An additional concourse won't help most of that. With a little bit of reconfiguration, concourse would make a nice LCC reliever terminal or even a small hub operation if someone wanted to invest in it.

And as you say that's all without any kind of hub. If any carrier started a focused build-up like WN did at HOU/FLL or NK recently at MCO, you're talking millions of additional seats on top of that.

The fact is, MSY is well located for Caribbean/CentAM connections. Once the O&D and domestic connectivity is there, someone will bite. The WN rumors are new to me, but given some of the recent routes like SJC and SMF, I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a few more international flights. They are up 8-10 departures this summer. They made a big announcement about adding a few new routes and frequency at BNA, but maybe there's a reason they held off mentioning all of the MSY growth - that's roughly a million seats.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12405
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: NK announces MSY-DEN/PHL

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 am

LightningZ71 wrote:
The rumor is circulating again that old concourse D may have to return to service for scheduled traffic at some point.

Hell, we geeks have been screaming *that* for about two years now! :lol:

There's a certain old-ass airport worker who's going to owe me an apology written in blood once that happens, too..... he knows who he is. :devil:
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos